Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Suggested additions to the glossary:

"Nonsense, this is an election year!" - Comes from this Onion article. Used to indicate a cartoon where the intended message is confusing and difficult to identify.

"Those fuckers! Our poo poo!" - Comes from this Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal cartoon. Used to indicate a cartoon that uses a witless, generic template with labels added to indicate the topic of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
What the gently caress is Ted Rall's problem with Tammy Baldwin?

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
I've seen Ted Rall give compliments to other "alternative political cartoonists" who work in the same genre as he does as per his own definition; this includes Matt Bors, Ruben Bolling, Tom Tomorrow, Stephanie McMillan and possibly others. He mentioned them as people who, like him, were simply too outside the mainstream to win the big awards. Whether he genuinely admires and feels any kinship with these people, or he simply uses them as a smokescreen for his own self-aggrandizement, depends on how charitable you are feeling.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Begemot posted:

Wow, not a single drone. I'm impressed.

Can't quite tell what the message is, though. My first instinct is that it's opposed to the plastic bag ban because Rall is a shrill contrarian who hates everything that isn't his own glorious Rallvolution. But I dunno we could also be sympathizing with the cashier here.

I think the cashier is saying "shove your groceries up your rear end."

The correct answer is, of course, paper bags or reuseable bags, as someone who knew even the tiniest, most miniscule bit about the issue would know already. This is Mallard Fillmore-level ignorance.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Randler posted:

It's Rall, so my assumption is that he accompanies his cartoons with additional writing, which would make assumptions unnecessary.

quote:

I like Los Angeles’ approach better. There’s nothing grosser than plastic bags hanging from tree branches, blowing in the breeze. Why tolerate even one? An outright ban is better. But we’re missing out on D.C.’s game-theory economic experiment.

Or maybe not.

We’ll have the option of paying ten cents for a paper bag that isn’t as hard on the environment. Will we? I’m betting the answer is no

I have absolutely no idea what the gently caress Rall is saying here.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

The president didn't hear the calls to free Jonathan Pollard because literally next to no one gives a poo poo about Jonathan Pollard, you comically ancient, tunnel-visioned moron.

Surprise, Honolulu has as much problems with poverty as any other American city post-recession, you loving dumbass. You would know that if you knew anything about the world around you instead of living in a loving bubble and likely never venturing outside your goddamn house (Edit: beaten on this point)

Yes, yes, I know that's not the point, they're just trying to tag Obama with all the poo poo Dubya got hit with. Dubya's still the nearest comparison point, and since Dubya is not going to look GOOD compared to Obama (or anyone), their only shot is to make Obama look as bad as Dubya, including even the most bullshit criticisms like Dubya's vacationing. (I really never liked that line of attack, a president is never really on vacation. But if it applies to anyone, it applies to Dubya especially, whereas Obama has taken the least vacation days of any recent president minus Clinton.)

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Boy, that snowman is sure unhappy it's snowing.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

dilbertschalter posted:

I think he's saying the only way income equality is possible is if everyone had the same job, which would be bad.

Lester doesn't seem to realize that people are protesting the extreme levels of income inequality, not income inequality as a concept.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Shugojin posted:

Or he's just making a strawman out of the actual argument so he can mock it. :shrug:

I don't know, that doesn't sound like the Lester I know

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
I'm checking on this now but I'm pretty sure that the Euromaidan movement in the Ukraine hasn't held a serious large-scale protest since Christmas, and I certainly have heard of any killings.

/edit One guy died in the hospital after the cops beat him up; wouldn't exactly call that a wave of lethal violence. I am impressed that Muir has even heard about the Ukraine protests though.

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 9, 2014

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
State Rep. Sally Kern, who became notorious for saying some really awful homophobic poo poo a couple years ago, just introduced an anti-school-disciplinary-measures-for-gun-shaped-Pop-Tarts bill. The cartoonist appears to think that this is not an issue serious or widespread enough to require corrective legislation, but I can think of at least one other cartoonist who'd disagree.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

StarMagician posted:

Is it a law specifically aimed at that improbable event, or is it a general law against zero-tolerance policies in schools that is being framed exceptionally poorly?

The latter. Basically it prevents schools from punishing kids for having items that remind people of guns (toy guns, drawings of guns, their fingers pointed into the shape of a gun, etc). Not a terrible piece of legislation as things go.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Oh my god is he really going to do an arc where his Russian character brings his lady to go gun down protesters that mainly consist of very poor people who'd like not to freeze to death in the Ukraine?

Who the gently caress knows? Maybe he supports the protests, maybe he doesn't. It's hard to predict where Muir or any other right-wing hack stands on the Ukraine protests; no one's handed down any official talking points.

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 11, 2014

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Flag on the play. Illegal use of "pee pee doo doo."

"Pee pee doo doo" is supposed to be used only for vague and substanceless criticisms. Whether you agree with them or not, Bill Day has leveled some very specific and substantial accusations at Republicans.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Look, this is from last page, but I want it to be very clear that I take this point very seriously: "Pee pee doo doo he is a bad president" is for cartoons that accuse someone of being bad without any actual reason why. Showing Obama of taking a baseball bat to fetuses in a dumpster, no matter how awful it is, is not "pee pee doo doo." So whether or not it's fair to say Republicans want to bring back slavery*, it's not "pee pee doo doo."

*it is

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
There are indeed more important issues than bridge traffic, but we do expect our elected officials to not provably, intentionally make our lives worse.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

alnilam posted:

So the "MEDIA" is literally standing on the side of Hillary 2016, is that what I'm to make of this? Is that MEDIA person supposed to be anyone in particular?

I mean I get it, the media is controlled by a vast liberal conspiracy, but is he being that obvious about it? It's so "wtf" that I'm not sure if it's that simple, or if I'm missing something.

I don't see what's wtf about it. The media -- all of them -- is attacking Christie because they want Hillary to be our next president. It's that simple. Why would you expect more?

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
I think Muir think that anything he enjoys must be opposed by feminists. (If so that gives him better than even odds that he'll be correct.)

So basically we have a guy being offended over feminists being offended by something they're not actually offended by.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

POLITICARTOONFACT

Claim 1: Obama publicly demanded that the Tea Party be investigated.
Verdict: I have no idea what Muir is talking about and could find no evidence to support it. What the gently caress are you talking about, Muir? PANTS ON FIRE

Claim 2: The targeting guidelines were set by William Wilkins, IRS chief counsel, two days after meeting Obama.
Verdict: Wilkins is one of the few IRS officials appointed by the White House, so saying that he is "Obama's man" is probably a fair statement. Some lawyers within the chief counsel office have been implicated in the IRS scandal, which is the closest the scandal has gotten to the White House, but nothing as yet connects it directly to Wilkins. The lawyers in question were five layers of management below Wilkins, so none of this proves anything. The White House guest log says that a "William Wilkins" was at the White House, but it's not confirmed what they were talking about or even that that's the same William Wilkins. SPECULATIVE BULLSHIT
(Source: National Review, Washington Post, Fox News)

Claim 3: Eric Holder shut down an inquiry into the IRS scandal.
Verdict: Law enforcement officials announced that the FBI probe will not bring criminal charges. I'm not sure that counts as killing the inquiry, or Holder being the one to kill it. Various Republicans are alleging that it was done too quickly, that the investigation was biased by an Obama donor being put in charge of the inquiry, and that top witnesses weren't interviewed. I'm not seeing much evidence that criminal charges should have been filed though. I DON'T KNOW, I GUESS WE COULD GIVE THAT ONE TO HIM

Most of the smoke that Muir sees isn't really smoke, and most of what he believes comes from either notorious bullshit peddlers like The Daily Caller or unreliable grandstanders like Issa. (Also, learn to spell "harass" and "inquiry," Muir.)

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 15, 2014

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

quote:

Remarkably subtle for good old JRRose. I mean, look at that, there's no newspaper with a joke-explaining headline, Christie's not raising his eyebrows and mugging at the reader to show how clever Rose thinks he is... hell, I chuckled a bit.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Jedit posted:

Americans trying to get onto Obamacare end up banging their brains against the wall with frustration, but illegal immigrants Spanish speakers can get right on that precious taxpayer-funded teat with no problems whatsoever.

Um, not quite. The story is that the Spanish-language version of Healthcare.gov is garbage; basically, they threw the English site into Google Translate and called it a day, so Spanish speakers have to read machine-generated gibberish to get health insurance.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Where the gently caress did this come from? Even if you don't like MSNBC, what has MSNBC done to earn this? gently caress you, JJ.

His characterization of Chris Matthews isn't necessarily wrong though.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

The NSA is a phone. Obama tracks your phones with a phone.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Speaking of giving Stantis some credit, I'm withholding judgment until I have concrete evidence that the Bill Nye thing isn't just a stupid loving pun.

Most of the breaking news about the Benghazi investigations is largely debunking the Republican criticisms of it as bullshit, and if people were to pay attention to it, that controversy would evaporate even quicker that it already has.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Rebochan posted:

Martin Luther Potatohead.

Uh... what? What does "sincere ignorance" have to do with Bridgegate? Or even Christie in general? I mean, I guess you could make the case that some of his policies are bad and maybe that's because Christie hasn't examined his ideology, but that's still an Evel-Kneivel-length leap away from any of the prevailing Chris Christie narratives.

Is that even Christie?

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 17, 2014

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Internet Kraken posted:

Why the gently caress does Payne draw so many drat cartoons about car bumpers? Does he think its clever? Is he just lazy? Does he have some sort inexplicable and unhealthy obsession with them?

Rule of thumb for political cartoons: If laziness is possibly the answer, it's also probably the answer.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Has Obama just been really inoffensive lately? All these comics are just old talking points like Benghazi and IRS.

Well, the FBI recently announced that they weren't pursuing criminal charges in the IRS thing, and some people are pissed off about that. There's also been some movement in the Benghazi investigations, both from the press and from the government, but all the Benghazi cartoons give no indication that they've heard about that, because they mostly debunk any charges of coverups.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Every single one of these was great. My inner Mad Magazine-reading child loved each and every stupid topical joke this guy drew.

quote:

I don't know what this is referring to, because keeping up with the most complex and controversial law of this administration is exhausting. Context anyone?

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
You can probably already tell that this whole "mass shooters were registered Democrats" idea is bullshit through and through, but if you want a thorough debunking, go here: http://www.examiner.com/article/the-idea-that-recent-mass-shooters-are-mostly-registered-democrats-is-a-myth

I do not have time to check all the names on that list, but I picked the first four names I could pick out, and from what I can tell, Cho, Holmes, Loughner, and of course Klebold and Harris all came from two-parent households. Muir seems to be extrapolating from the single data point of Adam Lanza.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

crowfeathers posted:

I genuinely don't understand. How is this supposed to make sense?

Tinsley believes that gay-bashing should be treated on the same level as religious bans on eating pork, i.e. just a private matter of faith, something that's one's own personal decision and should not be met with condemnation. He is ignoring (most likely willfully) the fact that anti-gay activists push for both laws and a social climate that is detrimental to the lives of gays, whereas no comparable movement exists for pork or alcohol. He is also conflating the personal choice of eating pork and drinking alcohol with the involuntary condition of homosexuality.

That's one facet of Tinsley's argument. The other is that homosexuality should be treated the same way we treat greed: as a sin. And calling someone a "hater" for hating sin is just ridiculous, right? Sin SHOULD be hated. And since homosexuality is a sin, as per Tinsley's argument, we should hate it also.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

StarMagician posted:

Despite the high expectations of the American public for him when he entered office, Obama only did like half of these things. AGC.

Oh, he did all of them. "Presided over," "fought for" and "reformed" are all words that don't specify whether things got any better afterwards, and "record profits for Wall Street" is only a good thing from a certain point of view.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

And I say heyyyyyyyyyyy ey ey ey ey
Heyyyyyyyyy ey ey
I said hey
What's going on

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

quote:

The reason that all scandals are affixed with the "-gate" can be traced back to William Safire. Who used it to minimize his old boss Nixon's original scandal.
I feel like all Safire accomplished was cement Watergate as the ur-example of political scandal in modern history. That's certainly how the end of Ron Howard's Frost/Nixon presented it.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

quote:

This is so petty, short-sighted, and unaware that it's defending a complete oddball position, it may as well be a Kelly. Alas, its slippery slope argument is a bit too rhetorically sophisticated to match Kelly's wonderful bluntness.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
Yes, many states have banned the use of handheld phones while driving. Both hands on the wheel, motherfucker.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
These things are written two weeks in advance. More likely, Mister Beeg is Bruce Tinsley.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

quote:

Context: Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon, a man who once said that Israel assassinating Ahmadenijad was not off the table, got quoted saying some super-nasty things about Secretary of State John Kerry ("obsessive and messianic," "Let him get his Nobel Prize and leave us alone") while negotiations are still ongoing.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
The backlash comes from the fact that Jezebel made a big deal about offering $10,000 for unretouched Lena Dunham photos, which made them seem a lot less like feminist crusaders against unrealistic body standards and a whole lot more like TMZ or any other clickbait tabloid reveling in bringing celebrities down a peg.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
"Mary Jo" may refer to Mary Jo Kopechne, the victim of Ted Kennedy's famous Chappaquiddick accident. I think Zed is trying to imply that the FBI agent has been abandoned by his partner just like Teddy abandoned Mary Jo. That's a lot of mindwork for one bad joke; I only came to this conclusion by Googling "Mary Jo" and picking the most likely reference from the results.

Is there any explanation for 1) how the FBI wound up wrecked and on their side, Blues Brothers style, on a flat piece of farmland, 2) why the FBI is drinking coffee instead of getting help, which probably doesn't entail doing anything more than calling a tow truck, and 3) why they're spying on Zed and Sam (except to realize Muir's general persecution fantasy, of course)?

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

tacodaemon posted:

I hope my explanation gives a good example of how many years and layers of rightwing minutiae you have to know in order to make sense of the dialogue in DbD.

Yeah, I mean, for Christ's sake, Ted Kennedy's dead. For years now. And this is the group that thinks we need to stop bringing up the Dubya years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Mordiceius posted:

I still don't understand how "more people have rights = bigotry" or is it just "you're being intolerant of my intolerance"?

It's a reference to something Gov. Andrew Cuomo said recently. You haven't heard about it but the right-wing blogosphere is up in arms:

quote:

[Republicans'] problem is not me and the Democrats; their problem is themselves. Who are they? Are they these extreme conservatives who are right-to-life, pro-assault-weapon, anti-gay? Is that who they are? Because if that’s who they are and if they are the extreme conservatives, they have no place in the state of New York because that’s not who New Yorkers are.

Andrew Cuomo was clearly talking about the political climate in a blue state, but Republicans have taken that to mean pro-"traditional marriage" activists will be set aflame at 30 Rockefeller Center.

• Locked thread