Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Somfin posted:

Once again, what's the loving joke here?

Tinsley having been paid, being paid and going to be paid for his work is my personal punchline to fall back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

change my name posted:

Is there literally any way to interpret this besides "there is no such thing as an Iranian Nuclear Program?"

You did notice the rope made ouf bedsheets, right?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Due to changes in its environment, the Republican party ha- Evolution isn't a linear march to upright walking perfection, you loving hack. Your "They are moving backwards"-metaphor does not work. The fact that it is a commonly used metaphor does not excuse you from being about as good with biology as the people you depict in this cartoon.

:colbert:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

MrAristocrates posted:

Those are Stantis. His style is pretty close to Allie's, though.

Prickly City has been drawn by Allie for some time, though he does not get credited on the strip itself. I'm not sure if Allie also writes the strips or if that's still Stantis' doing.

Edit: :argh:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

CINCINNATI, OH (FOX19) - The Cincinnati Bengals ticket office has officially announced that Sunday's game is not a sell out, and will not be shown on FOX19.

NFL policy states that games must be sold out 72 hours in advance of kickoff to be televised locally. The sellout deadline was at 1 p.m. Thursday. The NFL did not grant an extension. (...)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Thank you explaining the joke in the third panel, Tinsley. There's no way that joke would've worked with a silent reaction panel of grumpy duck. (The joke is I'm being sarcastic here, because the joke would have worked better with a silent reaction panel of grumpy duck.)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Abyssal Squid posted:

I was going back and looking for all the "hurr global warming boat? but ice????" cartoons and I noticed that every single one of them has the ship in the exact same orientation: 3/4 perspective, facing right. I know the left-to-right orientation of English writing affects how you'd want to compose an image, but there's plenty of cartoons with vehicles in them that don't have the exact same composition. Plante's wagon just a few posts up is a good example. Ramirez doesn't count because even though he has vehicles going every which way, his composition is utterly wretched and he does everything wrong.Also, for some reason the ship is surrounded my mountains.

Just thought that was a bit of laziness frosting on the cliché cake.

I just assume they all used the same photograph used to illustrate the news story about that Russian research vessel stuck in the arctic ice.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Less Kelley, more Kelly.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

duz posted:

Yes, seemingly because they never notice that the first whatever-million is exempt and think that they won't be able to leave anything to their kids. And I'm sure the fantastically rich don't technically own their money as they keep it in other forms for tax purposes.

It's actually closer to the first five million right now due to the Obama administration's tax cuts aimed at supporting the American middle class. :eng101:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
The Ramirez interview is pretty boring without much quotable material unfortunately.

visceril posted:

Martin's a dumb troll that caters to "our side" but Melissa Harris-Perry has already apologized several times and cried on air. They saw they could gently caress with liberals and they're going whole hog. CNN's jumping on the bandwagon too because eliminating the competition is the only way they even have a chance of increasing ratings on that garbage heap they call a network

Regardless of the right's motives, pushing for somebody to get removed for racist comments made on air is something liberals should be able to get behind.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Name ONE version of this story that doesn't mention the ship's mission. One. A single article.

I do like that Allie has shown how awful his newspaper drawing is by neatly displaying that the headline is completely unreadable when the paper is in the newspaper box.

One serving of MSM coming up. :smuggo:

Only one paragraph alluding to the mission of the Russian research vessel and no mentioning of what they were supposed to measure nor that it might be related to global warming research.

quote:

The Akademik Shokalskiy left New Zealand on Nov. 28. The scientific team on board had been recreating Australian explorer Douglas Mawson's 1911 to 1913 voyage to Antarctica.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

majormonotone posted:

It's a Rall so the assumption is that we're supposed to side with the idiot customer.

It's Rall, so my assumption is that he accompanies his cartoons with additional writing, which would make assumptions unnecessary.

Ted Rall posted:

I like Los Angeles’ approach better. There’s nothing grosser than plastic bags hanging from tree branches, blowing in the breeze. Why tolerate even one? An outright ban is better. But we’re missing out on D.C.’s game-theory economic experiment.

Or maybe not.

We’ll have the option of paying ten cents for a paper bag that isn’t as hard on the environment. Will we? I’m betting the answer is no

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What's that in reference to anyways?

Evacuation of CIA station personnel by Air America on the rooftop of 22 Gia Long Street in Saigon on April 29, 1975., Image used as illustration for the Fall of Saigon on Wikipedia.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Chancellor Merkel recently broke her hip during a skiing accident. This doesn't mean that it's the time for the (horrible, horrible) other party in the coalition to shine.

"I have full confidence in your abilities, Vice Chanchellor Gabriel. I'm however, still able to lead the Cabinet myself.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
One thing I like about Allie is that most of the time his point is technically correct or looks technically correct at first glance, making it easier to deflect criticism as just liberals trying to scream down opposing opinions. That's pretty clever if you just judge something based on how effective it is at being political propaganda. Guy knows his audience.

Randler fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 8, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Quick question regarding cannabis and the constitution. If there is no justification for having laws banning the sale/possession/etc. of cannabis, wouldn't that allow for the nullification of current anti-cannabis laws? Because I was always under the impression that in the United States (and basically any Western Democracy) any law that prohibits or sanctions certan behaviour has to have some reason for limiting the abstract freedom of its targets. (I think the term was "rational basis" or something?)

Am I misremembering something about how your country's lawmaking works or is this one of the cases, where people on both sides treat arguments they disagree with as non-existant?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I don't really see the problem with that Asay cartoon. If you presume that alcohol and cannabis have essentially the same risks and should therefore be treated the same, that does not mean you have to legalize it. You could also treat both the same by outlawing both. Neither does indulding in alcohol, especially while explicitly calling it a wrong, mean you have to support cannabis.

Discendo Vox posted:

The Necessary and Proper Clause and the Commerce clause are interpreted to give the Federal government scope for most of its actions. The arguments against this position tend to fixate on the Tenth Amendment, which reserves nonfederal powers for the states or people. This Tenth amendment argument, though, is usually raised in crackpot small government circles.

So what you're saying is that the US legislative is in fact able to limit the behaviour of its citizens in a constitutional way without even needing the slightest bit of factual justification for doing so? (Deliberately absurd example: A new bill that bans all redheads from owning property due to them not having souls.) :stare:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

duz posted:

When has any government every been required to have factual justification for its laws?

Germany. Our constitutional court is a bit more resolute...

...and also manned by loving wereeagles.

Randler fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 8, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Do the red judges robes have a long history in Germany or is there another reason why they weren't ditched after this guy? I always thought the nazis came up with them.

Traditionally, red robes where the sign of courts that had the power of capital punishment. Therefore the robes of Freisler's Volksgerichtshof were red as well. Despite capital punishment being abolished with the Grundgesetz, the red robes persisted as the official garnment for the judges at the Bundesgerichtshof (the highest "ordinary" Federal court taking the place of the Reichsgericht). The constitutional court wore red robes at the beginning as well until the new scarlet robes were commissioned. They are a modern design inspired by the robes of Renaissance Florence, partly motivated by the designer wanting to incorporate elements of republican traditions.

Normal civil and criminal court judges wear black robes with some velvet as do the state's attorneys. Lawyers also wear black robes, but they lack the velvet parts around the front. Some of the states' constitutional courts also have coloured robes as well.

Randler fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 8, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Livingtrope posted:

Fries taste good therefore it is bad.

In regards to day by day can someone remind me who Naomi is

Israeli special forces officer, either colonel or major, and acquitance of Zed. Works as a private contractor now. Her latest job was to protect the Owens children in Argentina, where their in-laws brought them due to fearing for the children's safety in Obama's America. As BJR works as a pilot for the father-in-law, Naomi and BJR met and are in an intimiate relationship.

e: It feels good being beaten by somebody else when posting Muir knowledge. :unsmith:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Thanks, Not My Leg. That was very educational.

Going for an appeal to consequences approach as if compromise or pragmatism was anathema to political negotiations. Kirschen really is the dumbest fucker when it comes to understanding politics reality.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Much like the iconic "raising" the flag on Iwo Jima, the "war on poverty" is just a staged gesture made by Democrats to curry favour. A good cartoon.

(Oh, and good job replacing the Native American marine with a white guy.)

Randler fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 10, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I wonder whether Muir is aware that Anatoly is starting to become a better "Look at how awesome I am and at all the awesome things I do" character than his actual self-insert. I mean, helicopter pilot flying around the world banging hot chicks appeals way more to my inner 16 year old than poor trailer trash with domestic issues and a grudge against Obama.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

XMNN posted:

Speaking of Dry Bones parodies, does anyone have the link to the Arab Spring one with the smiley face rising out of a field of flowers to music?

Not sure if that's a very helpful description, but I looked through the earlier thread's OPs and I couldn't see it.

Here it is.
From the 2012 OP

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
If you want to make a cartoon depicting Muslims as monsters, you might not want to draw your strawmuslim in a way that makes her look like a Catholic nun, you hack.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Mister Beeg posted:

Shortpacked did a few other strips on editorial cartoons. Here's one from 2005.

This is a reference to Cagle's site, which does label cartoons based on the political leaning.

Is that Willis' opinion or is the character supposed to be a moron? Cagle makes his money licensing his cartoons to other media, so it makes perfect sense for him to categorize his inventory in a way that makes it easy for his editor customers to find what they are looking for. If you want to make a point about echo-chamber media consumption he could have better done it with Google's personalized search which was available in 2005 as well.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Illuyankas posted:

He's still a shitlord, sorry.

Editorial cartoonists are low-rent propagandists who break down complex situations into bite-sized ~truths~. They are all shitlords. Some merely have the decency to be somewhat competent, so you can at least look at a pretty drawing while being peddled to. (Well, except Kelly because he's a fictional character.)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Bors also linked the article he was taking offense to. I actually recommend reading that article, because I do not think it contains what Bors says it does. (Of course, I and Bors apparently have very different views. Bors, for example, considers Rall's work "good political cartoons". :v:)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

I fail to see how an interpretation of the NYT article Bors took offense to is a counterpoint to "Read the NYT article Bors took offense to".

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

itskage posted:

It's because OldTennisCourt's post is a counter point to Randler's post. Not Bors' article.

I am pretty sure, however that Randler was basically making the point that people should read the original article to form their own opinion on whether or not to agree with Bors though. (And he probably implied a secondary point about how dashingly handsome and incredibly strong he was somewhere between the lines as well. :wink:)

My issue with that particular Bors cartoon is that it basically requires expansive context (the one Vogon Poet gave), that is not even easily accessible anymore because Emma Keller's article has been taken offline. And even with aforementioned context, it's hard to see a reason for only Mr. Keller being in the picture. The outrage started with Ms. Keller's Guardian article and from the quotes of it still available, it seems like she really wrote a pretty indefensible piece. Both from a moral perspective as well as under the aspect of journalistic ethics. But Bors does not focus on the guardian article. He goes for the NYT article and in the accompanying blog post only mentions the Guardian article at the end. Almost like an afterthought. Maybe the NYT article is just a companion piece to defend the Guardian one. Maybe Keller has a sincere interest in raising his points regarding pallative care. I don't know which one it is, and Bors' blogpost fails to make a convincing argument for either one. At the end of the day, I still think that Bors cartoon is bad because it requires the reader to make too many presumptions. Presumptions, that the cartoonist failed to give sufficient reason for me to make.

On the matter of whether to battle diseases to the last available treatment, I honestly don't know what I should consider the ~correct opinion. It's a pretty safe to assume that everybody here has had loved ones struggling with cancer or other afflictions that made their life a living hell. It might sound like a cop-out, but I think everybody should be able to decide themselves whether he prefers to try each and every remotely possible attempt to "win" over a disease or to just accept fate and try to die on their own terms.* I don't know which one I'll prefer and most people probably won't know until they are in that situation; hopefully, they'll still be physically able to decide then. And this is a reason I don't think arguments about "having more reasons" to live for are particularly worthwhile to entertain. As matter of fact, I think this is issue makes a good point for focussing on criticizing the somewhat objective formal flaws of editorial cartoons instead of trying to compare a cartoon's position on whether or not it conforms with what we think is right.

* I have no idea how to phrase those two options without accidentally reusing buzzwords from either side, so you have to make my word for me being neutral on it.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Is it correct to assume that US juries, being made up out of ordinary citizens, do not state reasons for why they acquitted somebody?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
While we are still on the issue of cultural differences between Europe and America, might I just interject that it still baffles me how easy Americans seem to be able to use "nazi" as a colloquial term for things they don't like?

PUGGERNAUT posted:

The only time I ever hear about Al Sharpton is when conservatives are complaining about him. Does he even do anything anymore? Why did JJ bring him up? So many questions...

He still gets consulted on racial issues in the American news media and probably still is a familiar symbol for a lot of people. Personally, I always just assumed he stopped being seriously relevant by October the 3rd, 2004 at the very latest.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Mister Beeg posted:

Matt Bors added a new cartoonist to "The Nib", an editorial cartoon collective that he edits. His name is Jon Rosenberg.

What's the deal with all those straightburger fans? Maybe *stiffles laughter* maybe they all just secretly want to eat them ~GAYBURGERS~, am I right? Those big homophobes are all big homos themselves, guys! THAT'S IRONIC ISN'T IT? :haw:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I have seen at least one article and/or thread on the cinema shooting that said he was already acquitted (despite a more reliable news article saying otherwise), so there probably are misinformation circling around. So it's an easy mistake to make.

Kegluneq posted:

I'm not sure if that's any better in terms of colonial appropriation though. :ohdear:

In terms of cultural appropriation and overall grossness nothing beats the "Indian commune" that existed in West Germany during the 70s and 80s. A group of progressives used the Native American imagery and "living like the Indians" to push for the abolishment of various laws they considered oppressive regarding children. Mostly those related to education and age of consent. They had some significant support even from the left before the left mainstream came to the conclusion that prevening pedophilia is not a form of unjust oppression. Then they pretended like they never even supported the commune in the first place, which took them until 2012/13 to even acknowledge that they did something wrong. (Without serious consequences for the left politicians who are now in leading positions in their parties, though.)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Sometimes I wonder how Kirschen would react if some ultra-right wing president would free Jonathan Pollard from his mortal coil. Death to traitors and all that jazz.

So America is capitulating to Iran (white flag) but at the same time Obama didn't even touch the flag? Is that supposed to be a "Too inept to sabotage our country" burn?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I found a historical political cartoon without any labels! :haw:

Lion circles the elephant, who carefully tracks his movement with its trunk.

Author and context: Drawing by Frederick the Great depicting the rivalry between the glorious kingdom of Prussia and the evil empire of Austria-Hungary.

William Bear posted:

I think those are supposed to be the leaders of the countries involved with the Iranian deal, so that would be Angela Merkel. She's of normal weight, though.

I honestly assumed that was some random US state deparment official I don't recognize, because that looks absolutely nothing like Merkel. (Vibrant coloured blazers do not a chancellor make! And I'm pretty sure I've never seen her wear a skirt.) But considering this is Ramirez, you're probably right. And with some glasses of gin the spectacled guy between Obama and "Merkel" almost looks like Hollande.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Samurai Sanders posted:

93% conviction rate for arrests. Most of the accused never see a lawyer until the trial, certainly not before signing a confession.

Yes.

edit: If I remember right, Phoenix Wright didn't do the forced confession thing though, the police were usually portrayed as incompetent at worst, not malicious.

Conviction rate for arrests on its own is a meaningless metric, though. Namely it does not take into account the degree of prosecutorial discretion and which requirements have to be met in Japan for somebody to be arrested.

As an aside, the Japanese have an excellent civil code. :v:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Vogon Poet posted:

Perhaps the truth... is somewhere in the middle? :shrug:

I actually thought the original version of this was less about "The truth is in the middle" and more about "I hate the both of you and will thus commence trolling you." :shrug:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Vogon Poet posted:

It's Rall, so sure, there is an element of that, but he has literally said that he thinks abortion is murder but should still be legal. If that's not "truth is in the middle" I don't know what is.

Where has he said abortion is murder, though? Maybe it's a question of semantics, but I don't think "A fetus is alive." (this cartoon) is the same thing as "Abortion is murder." Also, the fact that Rall's position arguably lives in a place equidistant to the pro-life and the pro-choice positions does not make it necessarily unsound. (And technically "Fetus is alife" and "Woman have the right to an abortion" are not even opposite to each other, making the "Truth in the middle argument" not applicable.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Is no one else going to point at the phrase "3am call in the morning" and the redundancy therein?

Eh, that would be an acceptable stylistic device for everyone else. I'm more disappointed that Muir consistently manages to write Anatoly as a more likeable badass character than Zed in his own self-insert fanfiction.

• Locked thread