Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Internet Webguy posted:

Talking penguins lecturing about reality.

I was going back and looking for all the "hurr global warming boat? but ice????" cartoons and I noticed that every single one of them has the ship in the exact same orientation: 3/4 perspective, facing right. I know the left-to-right orientation of English writing affects how you'd want to compose an image, but there's plenty of cartoons with vehicles in them that don't have the exact same composition. Plante's wagon just a few posts up is a good example. Ramirez doesn't count because even though he has vehicles going every which way, his composition is utterly wretched and he does everything wrong.Also, for some reason the ship is surrounded my mountains.

Just thought that was a bit of laziness frosting on the cliché cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

If you've got them all collected into an album let me know, I was about to do the same thing but why reinvent the wheel etc

Well I had them in a chatlog which is close enough.

Randler posted:

I just assume they all used the same photograph used to illustrate the news story about that Russian research vessel stuck in the arctic ice.
Yeah, looking back on them that seems to be the case. The bulwark drops down in the same place in all of the drawings is the other big tell.

I didn't recognize that myself because I heard about it first on the radio, and when I started seeing all the "global warming? more like winter" cartoons I got confused because I thought there were tourists on the ship. I tried researching the ship more to find out the actual passenger manifest, and that got me stuff like a travel agency booking trips on the ship, with a picture of the ship at sea. That's the picture I see when I think about this ship (it's in profile going right, in liquid water).

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 5, 2014

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

D.N. Nation posted:

The hell? Is that a Hitler Youth?

That's an edit, man, you should be an obsessive enough follower of this thread to have caught that. Granted, it's indistinguishable from the original but still. Also that has nothing to do with the boat cartoons, I just had that picture grouped with the rest and threw it in there for the hell of it.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Haha I was just thinking about that cartoon the other day, because I was listening to a science podcast and the hosts were talking about how even the most brilliant scientists don't do science alone these days, because the problems are so complex. That cartoon is like "teachers shouldn't get a raise, you're making this all about yourself when it should be about kids!" "WELL IT SHOULD BE ABOUT ME BECAUSE I'M THE BEST BUT IF YOU WON'T HUMOR ME I QUIT" then the teacher massacres her students with an AK47 (because she's a communist).

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Adding this one to the list! I sincerely thought it was an edit at first, because I didn't remember the red text up there.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm not reading all this. Someone tell me if this fails to scan as badly as I assume.
I don't care how bad the rest of the cartoon is (and I loathe Varvel in particular), I have to give him credit for actually redrawing the goddamn ship. Christ people.

Now I've got myself eagerly awaiting Ramirez's cartoon even though I know he'll disappoint and draw a car and label it "GLOBAL WARMING SHIP" or something.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Haha I just noticed that Branco is no longer @reagan.com

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Internet Webguy posted:

It takes a special kind of stupid to assume climate scientists don't believe in snow.

That's the seventh identical cartoon about that ship, over the course of two weeks. That's one every two days for a fortnight.

Who runs If Global Warming Is Real Then Why Is It Cold? When this thing is over and there's no more cartoons about it I'm going to stitch them all together into an animated gif, although it's still pretty obvious there already.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's my right to whatever I want even if it hurts me! *pollutes ground water, neighbors new born child has crippling birth defects* See that LIEbrals? I disregarded regulations and nothing bad happened to me! That's honestly about as far as their thinking goes. Because something bad doesn't immediately happen to themselves when they disregard a regulation it means a regulation is BIG GUBMIT stepping on ARE FREEDOMS. Their thought process is on par with a rat given the choice between a switch that will release another rat or a switch that gives them cheese instantly while electrocuting the other rat. Instant in the moment self gratification at the expense of anything and everyone else. It also explains extreme climate change denial as well!

Just want to point out here that those would be the sociopathic rats, regular rats will free the captive and save some chocolate for him.

So yeah. Republicans: literally worse than rats.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Jurgan posted:

OH! For a second, I sincerely thought the bottom was spelling "you friend of the family." I doubt even Branco would go that far, but you never know...

Same here, except I'm certain that it's just an unintentional failure of composition. This is the guy who drew the heroes of his cartoons as grumpy one-toothed Hitlery troglodytes for ages. Never forget snaggletooth Hitler.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Rebochan posted:

*stretches* All right, what do we have today?

This attitude is the left's equivalent of ARGH THOSE NEWFANGLED LIGHT BULBS and pisses me off. Yeah, industrially-processed foods are never going to be as nutritious as fresh, and they tend to taste worse too, but it's not like this is getting WORSE with time. Most of the developments in food processing go toward generally making a fresher product (with many of the rest going toward completely new techniques like "melting cheese" aka Velveeta, invented by those Cheese-hating Swiss). A Hungry Man frozen dinner ain't exactly a bowl full of sunshine, but it's a drat sight better than salt beef and hardtack. The problem isn't that processed foods exist or how they're processed, but that they're often much cheaper and more convenient than fresh foods, and that they're processed versions of foods that are pretty bad for you in the first place. Keebler cookies aren't really any worse for you than homemade Tollhouse cookies.

As much as I love the term "Pasteurized process cheese food product," I realize it's called that for technical reasons and not because OMG IT'S SO MODIFIED THAT IT'S LEGALLY NOT FOOD AND NOT EVEN GERMS CAN EAT IT.

There's plenty to criticize the food industry for, but "it processes foods at all and uses scary names for processes and ingredients" is bullshit . If I were to remake that cartoon, I'd do something like put a ball and chain on each leg, one a can of soup and the other a hamburger, and have a ladder with a kitchen at the top and a couch in front of a TV or something. American attitudes toward food (ew, prunes!) are a lot more destructive than anything the industry puts in their products.

And don't get me started on the MSG and HFCS hysteria. :mad:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

XyloJW posted:

Well, if anyone thinks of anything good, be sure to speak up. I'm still here.

I like the current one, but it's been there a whole month!

I don't think anybody can come up with a better one-liner than JR Rose! can. "I wish this season would LEAF me alone!" I'll give it a shot anyway.

"So Bronco Bama and Purge Daley walk into a bar..."
"With insincere apologies to Norman Rockwell."
"Reminding you that Clinton got a blowjob since 1997."
"I can't imagine why print newspapers are struggling!"
"Your one-stop shop for world news, through the lens of BENGHAZI."

While I'm posting I'd might as well point out that the GLOBAL WARMING SHIP, BUT ICE?????? cartoons seem to have stopped, so here's the final tally. Seven cartoons that all look identical:

I think that would make for a good retrospective, guy who runs Ifglobalwarmingisrealthenwhyisitcold.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I was looking for Terry Wise's last cartoon lamenting today's shortage of child abuse (it's nearly a year old) and ran across this thing.

BUTTZZ!

Here's the kid-clobberin' one too, if you're curious:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I keep going back through Terry Wise's archives and found some pretty great cartoons. NOTE: THESE ARE OLD

Hrmm, I literally, without hyperbole, do not know the first thing about brewing, I'd better make a joke about homebrewing anyway.

Mall cops are armed, right?

That guy's dad apparently spews out racial slurs whenever he gets frustrated.

We had a deal, Dems! The REPUBLICANS get to frame public discourse, not the Democrats! Anything else is cheating!

A Good Cartoon

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

XyloJW posted:

gently caress all y'all, this is cute. Look at those vases in the background. I mean, from a conceptual standpoint, this comic is good. He's taking something stinky (mud), and trying to spin it into something pretty, and doing a bad job, and you get a crappy looking vase or pot or whatever. And the look of nervousness on that donkey is priceless.

We all know it's a lie, because gently caress, what isn't. This is a great cartoon, though.

I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to be mud, but I agree with you otherwise. I think the ashtray is a nice touch too, like the donkey's in high school art class and making useless junk that's hard to screw up, like gavels in woodshop.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

MisterBadIdea posted:

Didn't take Wise for a Santorum hater, but yeah, I guess Santorum's too crazy for even a lot of right-wingers.

I'm PRETTY sure he's trying to say "The media are ignoring Santorum's great record of accomplishments to call him a crazy radical because he's Christian," because he has lots of cartoons about "Watch out! That man's a DANGEROUS EXTREMIST *a benign Christian*" but I originally read it the same way you did too. That's why I called it A Good Cartoon.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Uba Stij posted:

I don't think it's racial slurs but more so regular cussing but who knows.

Edit - Those symbols are pretty much universal comic/cartoon text for cussing, though I guess if you try hard enough you can find the racism in it somewhere.

The guy starts ranting something unprintable and his son immediately assumes it's about Obama. There's a number of ways to take that but assuming the dude is just a massive racist all the time is the funniest. :v: Although calling Kraft Singles the "drat dirty Communist-In-Chief" is pretty funny too!

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I have no loving clue how my browser decided this was the next page but I accidentally hit "fast forward" and it pulled up this old Stantis cartoon:

I think we all need a reminder from time to time that this thing exists (NOTE: IT'S FROM 2009)

EDIT: oh okay there was a hidden link on the previous page and not my computer learning how to find bad political cartoons. THANKS OBAMA.

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 11, 2014

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

That's a lot less exciting than computers becoming self-aware and seeking out terrible political cartoons. :(

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

fool_of_sound posted:

What the hell is he eating?

Yakisobapan, a hot dog bun filled with noodles, nori, ginger, and a little bit of chopped hot dog. It's a bit like eating soft, savory gingerbread, and it tastes every bit as weird as it looks.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

Word clouds from the debate, just for shits and giggles.

This is actually pretty telling if you take the time to look at it. Bill's word cloud is full of words like extraordinary, remarkable, want, find, evidence, and reasonable. He's talking about curiosity, and how to satisfy curiosity. Ken's cloud is full of believe, know, proof, just, see, and assume, along with his big talking points "historical" versus "observational" science. He has no curiosity, he already has all the answers he wants.

I mean this isn't exactly breaking news or anything, but it's kind of funny that they seem to think they're indistinguishable when you can plainly see the basic arguments they were making.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

This is nice and honest. "The problem with saying racist things is that it gives those drat libs ammunition for calling you racist!"

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Want to bring up Bok's previous cartoon, just for context:

I know that ranking cartoonists to see who is "The Worst" is pointless, but these cartoons make me think Bok is the second-most virulently racist cartoonist posted here, after Kirschen. Yeah, he's not unique in churning out nauseatingly repulsive racist caricatures, but I get the feeling that for most of them the racism is "just" flavoring for their general misanthropy, like they'd find some reason to hate most black people even if everybody was the same race. Like Muir for example, he doesn't hesitate to openly fantasize about murdering anybody he thinks opposes him, though I'll grant that the white villains back down after the heroes threaten to murder their families, while the non-white villains get shot without the benefit of any warning. Alternately, there's the McCoy brothers, who I'm pretty sure don't feel terribly strongly about politics but are assholes whose biggest joy in life is upsetting people they don't like, and since they know liberals are upset by racism and sexism, that's what they churn out.

With Bok though, Jesus Christ that Nugent cartoon. Ted Nugent calls Obama a "subhuman mongrel," then makes an apology that EXPLICITLY EXCLUDES OBAMA, saying that he should have used more-coded language. Bok's response is to publicly tell Nugent "Ssh! You're not supposed to say that out loud!" There's not really any other way to read that cartoon.

Then you look at the "Golfzilla" cartoon. Unlike Bonsteel or Ramirez, Bok is clearly capable of drawing caricatures that aren't grotesque monsters because he did it right there in that cartoon. Other people have already pointed out how hideous that Obama caricature is, but it's worth mentioning that even though Obama's taking the place of a literal monster in that cartoon, it's utterly indistinguishable from Bok's normal caricature. So that leads us to the golf portion, which Bok is really stressing by calling Obama "Golfzilla," giving him golf clubs, and putting him in golfing clothes, in spite of the fact that golf has absolutely nothing to do with the larger point of the cartoon. What the golf meme brings to the cartoon is simultaneously accusing Obama of being a lazy layabout and also of trying to fit into an upper-class (ie white) culture where he doesn't belong.

So yeah basically I'm in a terrible mood today (for reasons unrelated to political cartoons) and also I think people missed how utterly vile that Nugent cartoon is.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I had to do a double take before I realized it wasn't criticizing GET YOUR GOVERNMENT HANDS OFF MY MEDICARE types, because all the signifiers of ideology are either tiny or really confused. Mocking [presumably] OWS types by making a play on Tea Party? Using hard-right keywords and symbols everywhere? And then obscuring the tells that indicate that the guy is subversive, so all that reads is ALL-AMERICAN FREEDOM?

"ONE NATION under mumblemumble" "I̎̆̅͒̏ͣ̃ ͣ̾͆̀̒H͒ͤ͂ͬ͜A̋ͫͯ͋̃̌̍Tͥͤ͏E̴ USA" and "hard work," "un-American," and hammer-and-sickle are all things you'd expect to see on signs at a Tea Party rally. It's a really striking example of believing your opponents think just like you do only they're evil, but I guess you wouldn't make a cartoon that repulsive if you didn't believe that.

PhancyPants posted:

The city government has decided to reduce the 'allowed' speeding by photo-radar. It used to give about a 10km/h leeway, but now they're talking about 0 tolerance.

It's not going to make anything safer, but will bring in a boatload of cash for the police department.

I bet that within a few weeks of it going into effect, the cost of replacing vandalized cameras is going to outweigh the added revenue and they end up dialing the policy back. Then again, Canada isn't the USA, but we're talking Alberta here so I don't know what to think. In any case that's a great cartoon with an adorable camera-cow. :3:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

XyloJW posted:

"Convicted child murderer Cameron Todd Willingham" -- a totally honest statement, according to Randler.

No, no, the conviction allows you to say "child murderer" without qualifications.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Creationists believe that life evolving into more complex forms violates the second law of thermodynamics so heat "proves" that entropy exists and therefore life can only get less complicated over time.

But the second law of thermodynamics has its own panel?

?????

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Lysdexique posted:

Ah yes, lemme just check the Tempature on my Thermeter...

Hmm, better get my cote out, it's a very chily -10 degreez Celcius outsyde.

Here's another one for that blog!

I can't get mad at this McKee, because this is the first time in years that I've seen someone draw a robin that actually looks like a robin. It does make me wish the "first robin of spring" meme would die and be replaced with the "first red-winged blackbird of spring" meme, because the red-winged blackbirds actually go away during the winter instead of covering the streets and being everywhere, but I suppose it's too much to ask that people actually look outside.

In any case at least the robin isn't a goddamned blue penguin.

Basically I'm really mad about and at robins all the time is what I'm trying to say.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

alnilam posted:

Haha wow, I didn't know what the gently caress so I looked it up. Holy crap, what an rear end in a top hat.

gently caress this guy

Oh it's a DIFFERENT guy making garbage papers about gay parenting. I thought it was going to be Walter R. Schumm, author of "CHILDREN OF HOMOSEXUALS MORE APT TO BE HOMOSEXUALS? A REPLY TO MORRISON AND TO CAMERON BASED ON AN EXAMINATION OF MULTIPLE SOURCES OF DATA," the paper with the worst methodology imaginable. "Ten books that concerned the children of gay, lesbian or transsexual parents were reviewed, including the three books previously analysed by Cameron (2006) and the two recommended by Morrison (2007). Each of the 277 children discussed in the ten books was assessed by name, gender, age and sexual orientation of parent(s)."

Yes, his "analysis" consisted of picking up ten books about gay parenting and counting how many gay kids were in them; one of the books was explicitly laid out to be half about straight kids and half about gay kids. Also note that he reuses three books that were previously used in a similar "analysis."

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Internet Webguy posted:

"Your kid is going to die in a horrifically painful fashion, CHUMPS! In your face!"

There's been a mumps outbreak in Columbus, coming from Ohio State University. Also, unless I'm mistaken mumps is almost entirely a nuisance disease, unlike influenza or measles. Anti-vaxers getting mumps is about the least destructive kind of karmic justice available.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

The third arm is Adam. Obamacare killed the first man, now we're all ghosts. :ghost:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Roll of Quarters posted:

Is the next move trading Ukraine knight for bomb? I do not understand bomb chess, Ukraine look super worried for having absurd board control.

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a gas pipeline. But yeah, that's a pretty bad metaphor because no matter where Putin plops that thing it'll get captured next turn by Ukraine's bishops or knight or queen. Chinese chess is pretty different from western chess though, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for not thinking through his board position that well.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Rorus Raz posted:

Hold the loving phone. Why haven't i heard about this? Over two hundred kidnappings and not a goddamn peep except from a single cartoonist? Is this just me or has there been a dearth of media-

Wait...what race are the kids :smith:

Nicholas Kristoff has been going on about it for a while. Spoiler: it's happening in Nigeria (that's why the van is labeled "Nigerian Search & Rescue").

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

colonel_korn posted:

I must have missed the talking point about why :argh: unions :argh: are responsible for the VA snafu, but I'm sure I'll hear it shortly.

I didn't know the House Republicans had a union!

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

The GOP is contorting itself to turn immigration into a losing issue, AGC. Seriously, use the drat stick as a bipod, are you that goddamn stupid?

Fried Chicken posted:

Actual cheese (and not "processed cheese food" line what most stuff at American supermarkets is)* is awesome so I can totally get behind a holiday of eating it. Pass the pepper jack

*that stuff is all pretty tasty too, but it's not the real deal

Man, do you even look at the labels? Aside from individually wrapped American cheese slices, the vast majority of stuff in the cheese case is straight-up cheese, even if it's not exactly top quality stuff. The "Pasteurized process cheese food" or "Pasteurized recipe cheese product" or whatever the particular label says mostly just has stuff in it so it doesn't separate when it melts, usually phosphate or citrate salts, or else is a cheese spread and I really hope nobody expects cheddar to be spreadable without processing it with other ingredients. I really hate being a pedantic nerd but I hate people getting stuff wrong about the food industry even more. So mad about people who hate on HFCS argh :argh:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Another thing that gets me about these Iron Dome cartoons is that they all say "Israel is spending billions of dollars on state-of-the-art weapons technology, why aren't the Palestinians doing the same what a bunch of schmucks gently caress them forever." The unmitigated gall of Palestinians to be in conflict with a country richer than theirs!

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Mister Beeg posted:

I'll see. Which AT characters should be Ramirez and Rall?

Rall should be Sir Slicer, the grown-rear end man who spends his day following a kid around and calling him pathetic. Ramirez as Gunter (the bottles represent DEBT).

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Okay so I almost always skip over Dry Bones in this thread because the text is always "gently caress you Palestinians! You think you're people, how dumb can you get!" and the art is always of the same crudely-scribbled talking head. But there's one cartoon that really irritates me.

Like all right-thinking people I love hoopoes and GIS them from time to time because hoopoes, or else try to research schlocky Egyptian religious cartoons, but for some reason that cartoon always shows up relatively high on the list. It bothers me so much because 1) it reminds me that Dry Bones exists when I'm doing other things, 2) the punchline depends on knowing nothing about hoopoes (they're nothing like woodpeckers; they spend most of their time on the ground and are related to kingfishers and hornbills), and 3) it shows how little he cares about Israel when it comes to anything other than killing Palestinians. "Israel has adopted a new national symbol? A creature beloved throughout the world and especially in the region? Well idgaf what it IS, I'll just complain that the government isn't killing Palestinians fast enough."

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

EndOfTheWorld posted:

You know, every time I start to think the whole Ice Bucket Challenge is sort of hokey or prone to attracting people who just want to join trends, I remember that there are massive, cavernous assholes out there who are either a) too cool to do something silly to benefit a good cause or b) can't wait to poo poo on something good in this world because it's not perfect. Good God, it must be horrible being Stephanie McMillan.

Shugojin posted:

The woman must go through the weirdest doublethink procedures to simultaneously think it's wrong that people go through this poo poo and that civilization is evil.

Seriously give money to Engineers Without Borders or something if you really think people deserve easy, safe drinking water (hint: they do).

DarklyDreaming posted:

We will have no need for money or engineers in McMillan's anarcho-primitivist-artist utopia.

Look, I thought it was McMillan at first too, what with the eyes and the rear end in a top hat message, but that's not her signature, it's some European I think. The jizzing signature is distinctive!

Stephanie McMillan wouldn't show any concern for America under any circumstances, she'd probably be like "Well Boston, that's what happens when you're home to the Massachusetts Institute of TECHNOLOGY, heh." That's a Boston Marathon Bombing cartoon, btw.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Oh, neat I guess.

Still doesn't change the "if you care about that, give money to somebody who actually tries to do something about it" sentiment.

Yeah the cartoon is still wretched, and McMillan deserves to be yelled at all the time for any reason, but they guy actually responsible for the thing deserves some poo poo too, is all. Lucky for him I forget his name and can't decipher his signature.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Okay I take it back, people DO need a reason to yell at Stephanie McMillan, this derail has gotten really dumb. Can anyone tell what jizzing signature guy's name actually is? I tried running all sorts of permutations through Google and couldn't come up with anything, and doing reverse image searches of the cartoons only turned up twitter posts.

Reminder, his signature is here (I just have a tab with this cartoon open forever and never am going to close it):

vvv Thanks, I dunno why I thought she was a European man, I guess her style and content reminds of Arend somehow. I really don't know how that happened though when she makes stuff like this:

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Keep in mind the story behind this. They executed Foley, said if the US continued operations against ISIS, Sotloff would die, Obama didn't back down, and then Sotloff was executed. That's going to be interesting context for how these fools portray Obama on this.

"Why did Obama keep John Rambo in prison when he could have singlehandedly rescued all American prisoners held by ISIS, yes just the Americans gently caress everybody else."

• Locked thread