Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
The biggest thing for me is get some enthusiasm back into my car life. I've been sitting on the sidelines after the Lotus passed and I need to get back into it. Work is stable, I just moved to a new place, and I can finally focus on getting back to things that, from an automotive perspective, make me happy. It will probably look something like this:

1. Consolidate the fleet down to one car.
2. Empty wallet.
3. Start doing track days again.

I just moved to Colorado so the Boxster Spyder has to go. I also bought a 2004 545i with a 6-speed last year that I want to sell. If I'm going to force myself to have one car, it's not going to be a lazy German highway cruiser.

Since Colorado actually gets all four seasons I'm looking at something turbocharged and AWD. The two main contenders are an Audi TT RS and a 997.1 Turbo. Given the warranty and 15k price difference, I'm favoring the Audi at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Comrade Flynn posted:

Since you had inspired me to get a Lotus, you should follow my lead now and try a GTR. Drive a 2012+. It's not for everyone, but it's a bundle of giggles.

The lack of a third pedal put the car out of contention. I'm sure it's a barrel of laughs but I feel like my enthusiasm for cars would slowly die if my only car was an auto of any sort. I briefly considered one but I read a few posts about how they hold up on the track and it seems the entire drivetrain and brakes overheat during 20-25 minute DE sessions at normal ambient temperatures.

Your Lotus had the toe link failure, right? That may have been what sent my car to the grave but the scary thing is I had the aftermarket Sector111 kit. Glad to hear you've kept up the insanity with a GT-R though.

Way2slow posted:

Color me uneducated, but I never thought someone in the market for a 997 would cross shop a tt rs. I would think the 997 would be considerably faster, but less usable for such things as getting groceries.

I'm weird like that. I also had an Elise as a daily driver for over a year and up until six months ago, the Boxster Spyder was my only car. Despite the back seats I think a 911 might be less usable as a daily since it didn't have a trunk (Boxsters/Caymans get both a trunk and a frunk).

I really want a 997.1 GT3/GT3RS. Since I can't do that in this state, a 997TT would keep me in a Porsche. The problem is the cheapest 997TT is 10-15k more expensive than the TT RS and they're way out of warranty by now. CPO is good for two years but you're paying dealership prices which tend to be a little crazy. And repairs of anything unique to the drivetrain would be, and I don't think this is a stretch, insane.

The Audi is quick enough and with a standard tune can make 410hp/440lb-ft. The rear seats are more of a joke than a 911 but at least they fold down for 24 cubic feet of hatch space. Oh and they can be had with a 6 year CPO warranty good through at least 2017.

Two important lessons I learned with the supercharged Elise and Boxster Spyder: You can't use that power on the street and it doesn't matter how fast you are at the track, someone else will have more money to spend on insane machinery. I had more fun on the street in a Miata or S2000 because you could wind them out and not commit felonies most of the time. And the most fun I've ever had on the track was a prepped Suzuki Swift at the Nurburgring. I have since started dialing back my long-term goals of what I want during HPDEs.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

The biggest thing for me is get some enthusiasm back into my car life. I've been sitting on the sidelines after the Lotus passed and I need to get back into it. Work is stable, I just moved to a new place, and I can finally focus on getting back to things that, from an automotive perspective, make me happy. It will probably look something like this:

1. Consolidate the fleet down to one car.
2. Empty wallet.
3. Start doing track days again.

I just moved to Colorado so the Boxster Spyder has to go. I also bought a 2004 545i with a 6-speed last year that I want to sell. If I'm going to force myself to have one car, it's not going to be a lazy German highway cruiser.

Since Colorado actually gets all four seasons I'm looking at something turbocharged and AWD. The two main contenders are an Audi TT RS and a 997.1 Turbo. Given the warranty and 15k price difference, I'm favoring the Audi at the moment.

1. Done.
2. Nope.
3. Nope.

When I wrote that post I had a Porsche and BMW. Now I have a Subaru. So yes on the turbocharged AWD but no on the TT RS or 997.1 Turbo. Saving up for something awesome in 2016. The 997.1 Turbo has seriously dropped in price though. They were in the low 70s in January and I'm seeing some go for mid-high 50s.

Fun story when I was buying the STI: My salesman had to ask why I looked depressed filling out the paperwork. I should be excited buying the fastest Subaru they sell! I explained what I just came from and he said, "Oh."

Also, gently caress high mileage BMWs. That 545i was the biggest pile. I had a mountain of records from the PO with about $10k in recent work and it still managed to fall apart when exposed to cold weather.

• Locked thread