Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Eggie posted:

This might be the biggest problem with the Ratchet and Clank film. The franchise is known for its over-the-top PG-rated carnage and I'm guessing the film creators will tone back the violence because a straight-up adaptation of R&C's cartoony violence would be too controversial. Take out the violence and what you're left with is a cliche-ridden story that's not going to appeal to many viewers.

Best case scenario is the creators do make the film as action-crazy as the games so parents can take their children to see Ratchet's Intergalactic Massacre.

90% of the enemies are definitely robots and 100% of them explode into bolts so the "they're just smashing robots" line could be trotted out constantly whenever ratings are discussed.

On the other hand if I don't see a rocket launcher that fires homing missiles that explode into shrapnel that bounces around smashing things I will be wroth.

Also holy gently caress the last game was short. I think it lasted like 10 hours or something for $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah, the games were awesome for what they were on the PS2 but whether I outgrew it or the writing just got worse, it seemed way more Saturday morning cartoon/definitely for young kids than the old games had. They dropped the double-entendre naming scheme and everything. More than that the series' originality kind of went out the window, the biggest appeal was the crazy guns and by the PS3 games they were basically just recycling all the good ones from the previous games.

Eh. At the end of the day it's shifted from good full price games to tower defense spin-offs and $30 installments. I think it'll be dead before too long.

A Meatslab
Apr 15, 2010
I think the last game's return to form wasn't too bad, short as it was. I thought the writing was fine in the PS3 games, especially A Crack in Time. Plus I'm pretty sure the double-entendre naming is still going on? "Full Frontal Assault" and all.

Maybe I'm just being too optimistic, but I don't think R&C is as dead as you guys are saying. I dunno. I'm cautiously looking forward to the movie, at least. v:buddy:v

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

axleblaze posted:

Kung Fu Panda is basically a really good Kung Fu Movie starring Jack Black in a capacity where even if you don't like him, he's still pretty likeable.
Jack Black is kind of underrated sometimes, especially in his voice roles, I mean sure I know its Jack Black, but he's voiced some great characters in the last few years like Po and Eddie Riggs.

AnimeJune posted:

I have a confession to make - I have *not* seen the original Kung Fu Panda. I adored Dreamworks' Prince of Egypt and later on, How to Train Your Dragon, but everything in between (except maybe the first Shrek movie) I've either avoided or hated. I took one look at the trailer for it with the stupid smirking panda and the Instantly Recognizable Celebrity Voices and was turned right the gently caress off.
I would recommend checking out Dreamworks other 2D movies, I know some might disagree, but I found that they are pretty enjoyable, especially Road To El Dorado and Sinbad

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

achillesforever6 posted:

Jack Black is kind of underrated sometimes, especially in his voice roles, I mean sure I know its Jack Black, but he's voiced some great characters in the last few years like Po and Eddie Riggs.

I would recommend checking out Dreamworks other 2D movies, I know some might disagree, but I found that they are pretty enjoyable, especially Road To El Dorado and Sinbad

I really enjoy Road to El Dorado. I like the ambiguous morals of the protagonists and the villain is outstanding. He may be evil as gently caress, but his motivations are solid. Even most of the tertiary characters have some subtlety, especially the chief, who is completely in on the scam, but lets it slide because it makes his people happy.

El Dorado is really under-appreciated.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Confession one, I kinda like Jack Black. Confession two, I thought Shrek 2 was the best Shrek.
I'm bad people. :ohdear:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

Confession one, I kinda like Jack Black. Confession two, I thought Shrek 2 was the best Shrek.
I'm bad people. :ohdear:

I find Shrek 2 really fun, honestly. It paved the way, like the original Shrek, for a lot of things that were later overdone, but that's not Shrek 2's fault. I feel like many films benefit from being seen in the context of their time, not just stuff like Snow White where you're like "Oh my god does anything HAPPEN in this loving movie?"

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Shrek 2 was fine, it was until the 3rd and other iterations did the movie just started to do the same crap over and over.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The third is truly, deeply dire.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Pick posted:

I find Shrek 2 really fun, honestly. It paved the way, like the original Shrek, for a lot of things that were later overdone, but that's not Shrek 2's fault. I feel like many films benefit from being seen in the context of their time, not just stuff like Snow White where you're like "Oh my god does anything HAPPEN in this loving movie?"
Plus the Climax is still great

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember Shrek 2 as having a marvelous palette, some great characters, that fantastic climax and a lot of legitimately good jokes. Followed by the void that is the Third. The only things I remember from the third movie are the pigs calling Arthur a creepy little girl and a lot of suffocatingly warm lighting. Not Ratatouille-ambiance warm, but perpetual-sunset warm. Just draining.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
How about some student animation? I find myself finding and watching a lot of animation student's thesis films. This one is really pretty, and cute.

http://vimeo.com/70976988

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
So I've been rewatching a couple of old looney tunes shorts and I finally (after not seeing them in so many years) realized how dark they were: The episodes The Curtain's Razor (1949) and "Show Biz Bugs" from 1957. We have two characters willingly blowing themselves up, and the audience of the scene cheers at their demise and the two look actually really depressed.

Seems like a perfect place for a horror story or lost episode type of deal there.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

How about some student animation? I find myself finding and watching a lot of animation student's thesis films. This one is really pretty, and cute.

http://vimeo.com/70976988

Student films from Gobelins l'ecole de l'image are usually pretty great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xp22IYL2uU

Also a big fan of this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLAfM1RXwRs

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
It's a little strange how little attention Mamoru Hosoda's films seem to receive. His two most recent films - Summer Wars and Wolf Children - are two of my absolute favorite animated movies of their respective years, but unfortunately they both had very limited showings in the US and nowhere near the all-star voice casting backing Ghibli films (though Funimation did a really good job with the dubbing on them).

I don't want to oversell it, but to me his films really capture the feeling I'd get from earlier Miyazaki works. If you have the chance to see either movie, I'd really recommend doing so.

e: Hyperlinked some trailers

miscellaneous14 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 4, 2014

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

miscellaneous14 posted:

I don't want to oversell it, but to me his films really capture the feeling I'd get from earlier Miyazaki works. If you have the chance to see either movie, I'd really recommend doing so.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've never heard of Hosoda before, but Miyazaki's early work contains some of my favourite movies so I'll definitely give him a watch.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I can't wait to see this movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z11oAmV3Dk

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

miscellaneous14 posted:

It's a little strange how little attention Mamoru Hosoda's films seem to receive. His two most recent films - Summer Wars and Wolf Children - are two of my absolute favorite animated movies of their respective years, but unfortunately they both had very limited showings in the US and nowhere near the all-star voice casting backing Ghibli films (though Funimation did a really good job with the dubbing on them).

Whaat his stuff is nothing like Miyazaki's, thematically or stylistically. Shinkai's Children Who Chase Lost Voices is about the only thing that comes close, and even that's not really the same.

I do like Hosoda's stuff, but I don't think his past two offerings have matched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time in quality. Summer Wars was just unashamedly ridiculous all the way through, which was often a good thing, but kinda made it hard to watch sometimes. And I just found Wolf Children profoundly dull, and I'm usually a sucker for emotional poo poo in animation. They both also basically throw in every archetypal anime character there is.

Summer Wars is definitely worth watching all the same, but I'm pretty meh about Wolf Children. It's pretty, I guess.

And everybody that can tolerate anime should watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time; it goes a little bit off the rails towards the end but it's still a really good movie.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 4, 2014

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I meant that I liked them in a similar way to movies like Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, not necessarily that they were the same sorts of films as his.

Though I will mention that I found Hayao Miyazaki's recent movies to be rather disappointing. He's still great at building up likable characters, but I remember Ponyo and Arrietty (I know he didn't direct this one, but he was the writer for it) had this problem where they seemed afraid of putting those characters through any sort of real adversity, so they end rather abruptly without much of a third act. I hope Wind Rises can break that pattern.

miscellaneous14 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 4, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

miscellaneous14 posted:

Yeah Toonami just played Summer Wars recently and I really liked it even though I was a little distracted by anime Dean Venture and a bunch of other voice actors that I've heard everywhere.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah Toonami just played Summer Wars recently and I really liked it even though I was a little distracted by anime Dean Venture and a bunch of other voice actors that I've heard everywhere.

I thought it was appropriate that he directed Digimon the Movie since the visuals when they're in the digital world are fairly similar to Summer Wars.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

computer parts posted:

I thought it was appropriate that he directed Digimon the Movie since the visuals when they're in the digital world are fairly similar to Summer Wars.

That's kind of the funny thing about Summer Wars, it's relatively the same plot as the Digimon Movie with even a few of the same beats (e.g. everyone on the net around the world helping them in the finale), though with a stronger focus on the real world conflict.

Koramei posted:

Summer Wars was just unashamedly ridiculous all the way through, which was often a good thing, but kinda made it hard to watch sometimes.

My brother watched it, and his opinion was "I thought it was alright, but the ending was way too over-the-top", so this isn't an uncommon view. I didn't mind it, but I have a pretty high tolerance for crazy poo poo in movies.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

computer parts posted:

The King Kazuma avatar is totally a Digimon character, no joke.

Qindarka
Nov 13, 2012
I like Summer Wars quite a bit but everything to do with the virtual world just comes across as being really, really dumb.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah, that. I didn't mind the ending at all, it was the super-facebook thing that was weird as gently caress.

and the weird cousin romance thing. what's with the incest in all these movies.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Koramei posted:

Yeah, that. I didn't mind the ending at all, it was the super-facebook thing that was weird as gently caress.

and the weird cousin romance thing. what's with the incest in all these movies.

Wow, I did not read any romance into that relationship at all. It just seemed like he was overly protective of his kid cousin.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
... you know, that makes way more sense. It was my twisted mind all along :tinfoil:

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

Koramei posted:

And everybody that can tolerate anime should watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time; it goes a little bit off the rails towards the end but it's still a really good movie.

I'd recommend the first hour of that movie to anyone. I'd recommend the last half hour of that movie to no one.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I love Howl's Moving Castle but the ending bothers the poo poo out of me. Like, they just wrap everything up all at once in the span of a few minutes. Hey I'm the Prince I guess the war was about! Well bye! I see the prince in the viewing globe. War ended! I'm no longer an old lady because question mark

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
That's sorta a running theme ever since Whisper of the Heart. Aside from like, Mononoke, and maybe the Yamadas (it's not really that kind of film), I think every single Ghibli film has been pretty let down by its ending. Howl's might well be the worst of the lot of them though.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

That's sorta a running theme ever since Whisper of the Heart. Aside from like, Mononoke, and maybe the Yamadas (it's not really that kind of film), I think every single Ghibli film has been pretty let down by its ending. Howl's might well be the worst of the lot of them though.

Now I'm reminded of From Up On Poppy Hill although I was glad for that one because I was running out of time and had to go somewhere shortly after I watched it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Koramei posted:

I really like the ending to Spirited Away.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Castle in the Sky had a pretty satisfying ending.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Koramei posted:

The thing with Howl is it's MASSIVELY, UTTERLY different from the book it's based on (which is fine), but uses whole chunks of that book pretty much wholesale but lacking the context provided by all the bits they've cut and changed and surrounded by material that doesn't serve to replace that context with anything that makes sense (which is less fine).

It's very pretty indeed but I have basically no idea what happened in it and I've seen it and read the book. It's more a series of loosely connected vignettes than anything with a clear throughline and A-B plot structure. This is true of a lot of Ghibli films (Mononoke and Nausicaa both play like a series of set pieces and while they do both have plot, I would have trouble relating the events of either of them in sequence and I've seen Nausicaa like ten times) and a lot of Japanese storytelling in general, but it's particularly glaring in a film as confusing and complicated as Howl.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Are any of those movies like Spirited away, Moving Castle, etc on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, or the likes?

Is there some site that you can punch a movie into, and see what streaming service, if any, lets you watch that movie?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

IUG posted:

Are any of those movies like Spirited away, Moving Castle, etc on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, or the likes?

Is there some site that you can punch a movie into, and see what streaming service, if any, lets you watch that movie?

I don't think any of them are on VOD services like that, but for future reference, there is a site that tells you what VOD services something is available on.

http://www.canistream.it/

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

miscellaneous14 posted:

I don't think any of them are on VOD services like that, but for future reference, there is a site that tells you what VOD services something is available on.

http://www.canistream.it/

This is awesome, thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

EDIT: Yeah, none of those movies are on any Streaming site. But they let you sign up for updates if you want. Pretty cool site.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We need Castle of Cag... Cal... Ca- the Miyazaki Lupin movie on blu ray. Of course, I'm still waiting on Monoke and Spirited away too.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe
Hollywood Reporter has an animators roundtable up if anyone's interested:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/frozen-despicable-me-2-animators-667766

Taking part in the conversation were Chris Buck, 53, who directed Frozen with Jennifer Lee; Dan Scanlon, 37, director of Monsters University; Chris Wedge, 56, director of Fox and Blue Sky Studios' Epic; Kristine Belson, 49, a producer on Croods; and Chris Meledandri, 54, Illumination CEO and a producer on Despicable Me 2 -- having previously headed Fox Animation for eight years, he and Wedge are past collaborators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Koramei posted:

I saw Howl with the English subtitles for the first time recently, and there was definitely a lot more detail and storyline elaboration than what was presented in the dub. The bit with the Prince at the end was still out of nowhere, but overall the movie was a lot less confusing than the other times I watched it.

From what I understand Disney has a habit of trimming out what they consider to be 'extraneous' dialogue and story details when they put together Miyazaki dubs, which particularly makes the endings nonsensical at times (at least moreso than they already are).

• Locked thread