Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I just came out of the LEGO movie.

Guys, you HAVE to see this movie. because

A) the visuals of this movie is mindbogglingly amazing, EVERYTHING EVEN THE SPECIAL EFFECTS is made out of legos, and the stuff they do with them is utterly loving fantastic and creative. people in the audience were going OOOOH and AAAAH from what they managed to visualize with Lego pieces (I know it's 3D but still I could not tell at all the quality and graphics make you think that this was a loving amazing stop motion flick with great lighting)

B) The themes of this movie are surprisingly subtle, at first you feel like it's a rather interesting condemnation of how people live their lives in the modern world and at first follows (while subverting) the classic tropes of a children's 3D movie, it's really quirky and funny and clever and super amazing action packed but then later on the story takes a sudden and let's say REALLY 'out of the box' turn and twist that propels the message of the movie into something really amazing heartwarming and utterly loving relevant and upturns the 'chosen one' trope on it's head in way that makes it relevant in the real world. this movie really cuts into the spirit of what LEGO really means. it's very reminiscent of Monsters University where two thirds of the movie is pretty good but the final bit is what makes it special.

C) The gags are genuinely clever, some you may have seen before but they're done effectively, and keep coming, the whole movie I was either smiling or guffawing.also extra points for introducing some really cool characters like METAL BEARD and 80's pace dude.

D) this is the best goddamn batman movie ever made.

I could not have asked to make a better Lego movie. there is a reason why this movie stands at 98% rottentomato rankings. a must see especially in as high quality as you can find it.

4.5/5

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

blurry! posted:

Overall, Cloudy 2 is really unfocused and unnecessary. I didn't like it.

The guys who wrote Cloudy 1 (but not 2) are the same guys who wrote the LEGO movie, that above all else should tell why the first cloudy is so much superior than that trash of a sequel.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I'd be so excited if it weren't for the fact that the songs this band makes are incredibly awful. It's his time and everything but man, I wish that money would be put to better use for such a high talent.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

mobo85 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1FNL_iIp5c

The animation style they chose looks fantastic. It reminds me of stop-motion clay animation.

This teaser makes me smile uncontrollably, absolutely perfect style of animation.

it really goes to show Charles Schulz genius in his cartooning that everything about his style really has a whole life of it's own and how it moves.

We should probably do a 'let's watch' of the old peanuts movie where charlie brown goes to France to visit a mystery relative.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 18, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Whenever I see a long roll of cuban or whatever bread, I always think of the Charlie Brown where he's trying to get the bread through the door and it keeps breaking in half and he has to buy a new one. I mean I must have seen that Charlie Brown France movie like one time when I was 5 but that scene still sticks out to me

yesss exactly, the scene was that he was trying to fit a long rear end french bread into a tiny Citroen car (the famous boxy one from the 60's), that scene was awesome. I also distinctly recall the scenes of the hovercraft and the visit to Normandy. i havent seen that movie in literally 20 years.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

A whole bunch of Filipino kids next door were playing and suddenly they've broken into a perfect rendition of 'Let it Go' from Frozen. they're singing it in unison as they're playing.

I'm getting goosebumps. I think it's their perfect singing of it, but the power of animation man, when it hits, it hits HARD.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 28, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Holy poo poo you guys, out of all the animation projects this world is bringing forth, who knew that Salma Hayek (yes the actress) would produce one I'm super excited about?!

Khalil Gibrans 'The Prophet'

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I just saw How To Train Your Dragon 2 in the cinemas, is there going to be a thread for it or is talking about it here fine?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Man, that popeye spinach bubblegum poo poo was the best.

Also, Popeye is a good cartoon, with lots of funny slapstick opportunities, but it's definitely a product of it's time and I hope they find a good way to update it.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

This is incredibly sad news, the single greatest animation studio of japan to shut it's doors, unfortunately it had to happen sooner or later, the whole thing stood on two foundations, Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata, and both of them cant work anymore at the ages they're in.

they were the single greatest thing to ever happen to an entire generation of artists and animators, they have left an indelible mark on humanity and I hope that they're spirit lives on in the dreams of others int he field. It's sad to think that such a simple lesson of "make good animation, make imaginative worlds no ones ever seen, and give young people encouragement" is lost on so many animators, studios and cartoonists who go after "what sells". To me, the single greatest legacy of Ghibli was a gigantic 'gently caress you' to that concept. What they did was say to the world 'Hey, guess what, nobody knows "what sells" what matters is that you make something freaking incredible, Emotionally resonant and appealing to all, and people will want to see it". They challenged our notions of what an animated movie can be, they had a flexibility and breadth of genres and ideas and emotions and themes and concepts that could only have come out of incredible draftsmen who aspired to go above and beyond what was expected or safe of them to do.

Thanks Ghibli, you've inspired me to go on a very hard road in life in trying to become an animator, but I wouldnt have it any other way and I will always strive to set myself apart and I hope to at least try to reach %1 of what they offered to the world, and never settle and push to be as awesome and imaginative as I can possibly be.

In short, they were the most beautiful flower, but like any flower, it sooner or later would meet its end, but man, what a beautiful bloom it was.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 3, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, I haven't watched We're Back in years, but it was a pretty regular staple of my younger years. It had two things I loved: dinosaurs and cartoons.

But any animation that Steven Spielberg or Don Bluth touched as a producer/bankroller seems to be pretty much poo poo, though.

During production of my thesis our crew randomly decided to watch An American Tail on an LSD trip, and while we went along with it to the end, it only took "There Are No Cats In America" to make us realize just what tremendous poo poo this holy grail of our childhoods really was. It's one of those songs where it tries to incorporate all these different elements reminiscent of the new immigrant experience, but every time the chorus breaks in, it's just hammering into your head how obnoxious the entire film is in execution. It even became an in-joke for the rest of the shoot that whenever there was, like, a dead zone between setting up shots somebody would start singing "But there are NO-O-O-O cats in America" and make everyone cringe in psychological pain. Everything that is wrong with a Don Bluth movie can be summarized just by watching that sequence.

Go gently caress yourself, 'An American Tale' is a goddamn animation classic and I wont hear your whinging about how one song (a catchy song at that) ruins a movie that by all measures and means is fantastically drawn, animated and tells its story really well.

I'll fight you right here and right now and declare that 'An American Tale' is the second best Don Bluth movie right after NIMH, not only does it have one of the most tear-inducing songs in children films history, alot of the songs it has in it are super catchy as all hell. it has a ton of fantastically shot scenes and awe-inpiring animation (the loving rat robot and the rotating view of the statue of liberty), it has a ton of things going for it art wise, music wise, and animation wise. and I'm sooooory if you were too hopped up on LSD to pay attention.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 5, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I'm really really impressed by the level of thought and analysis you put into your opinions, I would LOVE to have such a film vocabulary like yours one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I should never have even dared lift a finger against your opinion of An American Tail, K.Waste. you are far above me. hoooly cooow.

• Locked thread