Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I've seen The Wind Rises, and I can tell you it's pretty spectacular.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the American release, because the voice cast they've assembled (including Werner Herzog) is impressive.

Oh boy. Oh loving boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

axleblaze posted:

There's no way Clumsy isn't going to let you avoid seeing this, is there?

Not in a million years.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I just caught up on The Croods the other night, and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by it.

Between The Wind Rises and Frozen, I'd say The Croods chances at a win are slim to none, but I'm pleased to see it land a nomination regardless.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Pick posted:

Right, I think it deserves a nomination, definitely not a win. But I really like the style of it all and admired its tough message.

In a purely technical sense, I think The Croods definitely stands toe to to with the rest of them. Some of the animation is gorgeous, particularly the scenes of the family on the move, where it seems like everyone is running 50 miles per hour. The film has an incredible sense of motion to it, which feeds into its theme of forward momentum vs stagnation.

It's just that the others offer so much more, you know? Frozen is an impeccably produced Broadway-style musical, while The Wind Rises is a quiet, at times layered meditation on the nature of art and the act of invention. The Croods is just...well...The Croods.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Corek posted:

"Psy’s “Gangnam Style” plays prominently into a mid-film dance sequence and a post-credits curtain call (including an animated cameo from the singer himself)."

Confirmed.

http://www.avclub.com/review/the-nut-job-is-a-tedious-cookie-cutter-family-film-200845

I hate this. I hate you. I hate everything.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
The Nut Job ends with every single character doing the Gangnam Style dance with an animated Psy over the end credits. The whole goddamn song.

:yotj:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, I finally saw the trailer for The Boxtrolls tonight, and hoooooly poo poo does it look good.

I realize everybody has already seen it, but I held off because it was something I wanted to see on the big screen first. And man oh man, I am beyond excited for this film. The only thing that put a damper on it was the fact that the trailer immediately led into The loving Nut Job.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

LaughMyselfTo posted:

What if it's worse than Bee Movie? :aaaaa:

It's not. I wish it were, but it's not.

On a scale of Bee Movie to Toy Story, The Nut Job is an Open Season 2. ...or something.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
All together now...

:suicide::suicide::suicide:

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Tell me I wasn't the only one who thought of this.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Pick posted:

The LEGO movie is super pleasant and I wholly recommend it :).

Jumping in to second this. Saw it last night with a couple friends in an otherwise empty theater (that served alcohol). It was a blast from start to finish.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I would honestly be surprised if one of Disney's next moves were a Frozen sequel. That's not really their MO. They've done sequels before, but those have either been DTV or many years after the fact. Sure, Frozen made them upwards of a billion dollars, but they tend to pump all that extra cash into whatever other ideas they happen to be working on.

And then sometimes Planes 2 happens anyway.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I was thinking of Return to Neverland, but it looks like that was done by Disney's offshoot studio.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
The point still stands: I'd be surprised if they jumped straight into a Frozen sequel instead of something completely different.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Anyone still interested in the Legends of Oz trainwreck, they've just announced a fun new contest!

quote:

Submit a video that brings The Legends of Oz animated movie to real life.

This could be:
  • A re-enactment of a scene/moment from the movie
  • Singing a song from the movie
  • Performing a group "Lip Dub" from one of the movie's songs
  • A review of your favorite part of the film (NOTE: Purchase not necessary)
  • Anything else that you can think of that is a creative video that is specific to Legends of Oz

Hey kids! Re-enact the scene where Dorothy accuses Martin Short's character of scamming her family out of everything they own!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Paddington grows up to be Boog from the Open Season movies, doesn't he? That's the only way my brain can make sense of this.

• Locked thread