Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Man what went wrong with that Oz movie?

They showed the trailer for it before Frozen and I was literally slack-jawed. Someone had the balls to show that before Frozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Confession one, I kinda like Jack Black. Confession two, I thought Shrek 2 was the best Shrek.
I'm bad people. :ohdear:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember Shrek 2 as having a marvelous palette, some great characters, that fantastic climax and a lot of legitimately good jokes. Followed by the void that is the Third. The only things I remember from the third movie are the pigs calling Arthur a creepy little girl and a lot of suffocatingly warm lighting. Not Ratatouille-ambiance warm, but perpetual-sunset warm. Just draining.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My friends had me watch the Digimon movie and I'd never seen the show before.
Let's just say Jules Winnfield would've blown my head off.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I work at an elementary school; the kids will do this as often as possible/as loud as possible/as long as possible. I didn't hate the minions until I started working there.

This is the reason I hate "MOVE IT, MOVE IT."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

How'd you guess the content of my suicide note?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Shanty posted:

e: I can't help but wonder what would have happened if the witch had come knocking at Gaston's chalet instead of the castle.

You know who I want to hear about? This witch that goes around cursing eleven year-olds. What's her story? Where's she heading?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The inclusion of Gadget will make this furry fodder.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm starting to realize how non-fundie my parents actually are. I went to see Aliens 3 in theaters with my sisters at the tender age of four and Mom and I would replay the scene in I, Claudius where the camera does that cool spin and Messalina gets her head lopped off. I'm also the only kid I know who wasn't traumatized by Watership Down. :v:

I've properly hyped my nephew up on the Lego Movie and now have an excuse to go.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

redcheval posted:

^^^ your mom sounds awesome and you just made me finally buy I, Claudius off amazon :argh:

My work here is done!

Koramei posted:

:stare:

and yeah I don't know many fundie people that'd let their kids watch a TV series with a massive orgy in it.

I think her opinion on media is more or less that she can enjoy it as long as she feels it isn't attacking her for her beliefs. And if anything we were watching ever got too racy, she'd put her hands over the screen and playfully scream. :cheeky:

This thread has also made me realize I'm a racial dunce when it comes to caricature.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Wait, Mickey's not black?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The "Scar wants to bang Nala" dealie was in one of the early script treatments for Disney, along with a Be Prepared reprise and a major creep factor:
http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/home

(Hopefully that's not just a mobile link, friggin' Kindle.)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

Hmm, they must have gone pretty far with it if they'd fully animated parts (like Zazu). My problem with it is the same as it probably was for the writers; it's just unnecessary, plus it lacks a certain logic. Scar is supposed to be an intelligent villain, he can suffer a certain degree of denial but that's stretching it a ways.

Agreed. I think adding in the Nala subplot would confuse his motivation as a villain (you got lust in my greed) and part of Scar's charm was his social objectivity. His villainy is logical whereas someone like Frollo would exemplify emotional villainy. Best left unused.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I talked my sister out of taking her kids to see The Nut Job and into seeing The Lego Movie.
All goes acording to plan... :twisted:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
What the flying gently caress is Lego doing on a February release?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

computer parts posted:

It found the mythical "people who want to see stuff in winter" demographic that 300 and Watchmen were going for.

That usually ends with the Christmas releases. We're supposed to be in the quality dead zone.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm going to get some flack for this, but I... wasn't as fond of The Croods as everyone else. :(

I really loved the world; the flora and fauna designs were very beautiful and innovative. I really loved the last- twenty minutes, I think? From the throw, to the animal-grabbing to the resolution. I ran into a huge problem with the physics and the tone shift that occurs to serve that last, great sequence, though. For the majority of the movie, these characters are operating on cartoon physics. They fly and fall hundreds of feet without repercussion, shoot out of explosions, crack rocks in two with their heads, incur no long-term (or perhaps even short-term) injuries... I just never really got the impression that they were held to real world physics and therefore, real world mortality. It kind of came off as a bit in a Looney Toon where Bugs plays dead and Elmer Fudd gets all weepy. (And there were a ton of nods to Looney Toons in there.)

Compare that to HtTYD, where there's a very real sense of repercussion throughout the movie and long-term consequences in response to the world's physics. When Hiccup is falling from hundreds of feet in the air, you know he'll die if he's allowed to hit the ground. The Croods wouldn't. They'd slam into the ground, pop back up and carry on. Which is fine if you keep those physics throughout the movie, but when you're trying to sell the emotion of imminent death pertaining to unkillable characters, it falls a little flat. Or it did for me. It would have worked much better if they'd pulled back the durability of the characters or had some physical consequence for any of the damage they endured. It might have convinced me that they actually might get hurt or die. But instead, I was left thinking of operatic Bugs Bunny.

But I did like the world, the father's character arc was great and the heroine was charming and likeable. It just didn't earn that finale for me.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Sylvain Chomet did an opening couch gag for The Simpsons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOi5OF7gAiM

Well, the couch gags are officially better than the actual show now.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have been cooped up all weekend doing computer jazz and listening to piano renditions of songs from animated movies by a Youtube dude:

Howl's Moving Castle
The Little Mermaid (w/ violin)
Beauty and the Beast (duet)
Anastasia
Tangled
Mulan
Spirited Away
Pocahontas
And though not in with the theme, Skyrim
Pianos make me feel like my heart's gonna burst. :syoon:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Traxus IV posted:

Oh my god these are incredible, thanks for the links.

Certainly!
If anyone else has found some neat renditions of the like, please feel free to post them. I will love you. :3:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I've absolutely hated everything Blue Sky's ever put out, but the lack of pop culture/anachronistic/toilet humor in the Peanuts trailer has me... cautiously hopeful.

As for Pixar and sequels, the only one that was actually worse than its predecessor is Cars 2 (haven't seen Monsters U but it seemed quite popular), so we've still got a good 3:1 chance that the Incredibles will give us a good sequel. I do agree with Pick however, in that I prefer they focus on original, self-contained stories. I love seeing fresh, new environments, meeting new characters and exploring the unique style of each movie.

Also, I feel like the Incredibles has places to explore in that world. I wouldn't mind hearing more about it. Finding Nemo, however, was succinctly and perfectly self-contained and I'm not excited about Finding Dory. :(

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

I actually think every Pixar sequel has been worse than its predecessor. Toy Story, in my opinion, is still the best film they've put out because it's the only one where I feel the central conflict was clearly addressed resolved in the correct way without obfuscation. (That is, the scene where Woody admits his feelings of inferiority and fear of obsolescence. Not in the middle of a battle or transitively through some other experience.) Toy Story 2 is a good film with some new ideas but doesn't hit that note as well. Toy Story 3 feels too refined and basically rehashes the theme of Toy Story 2.

Toy Story always felt a little clunky to me and I felt like they smoothed out all the wrinkles with the third installment. Each their own. v:v:v

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Up's my favorite Pixar movie because Dug reminds me so much of my childhood dog who I still can't talk about without crying. So I get what you're saying, Pick.
Though I didn't have the same experience with TS3 as most people: I was sitting next to my sister in the theatre and she burst out laughing at the climax. (She loved the movie but thought they were trying too hard. And... yeah, a bit.)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sir Lemming posted:

But of course, this falls under the stipulation that anything can be a sexual innuendo if you say it a certain way.

I played this game with a friend in middle school. You'd say the dumbest, most innocuous thing in a :pervert: tone and it would always sound dirty.

"I'd like to replace HIS transmission." :pervert:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Robindaybird posted:

So I've seen the Rio2 trailer, and it looks stupid as hell, but I never really was interested in the first one dude to the Brazilian butt bounce.

I took a class of kids to see the first one. I've never sneered so hard at a movie.
Kids deserved better. :colbert:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Traxus IV posted:

Oh man I watched that one so much growing up, what on earth was with that movie. So surreal.

Same here. That and the MLP movie (the 80's one with the ooze) were my bread and butter when I was four years old.

On the topic of offensive verses bland animation: I love watching Foodfight! and will recommend it to people. But gently caress Valiant.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Al-Saqr posted:

A whole bunch of Filipino kids next door were playing and suddenly they've broken into a perfect rendition of 'Let it Go' from Frozen. they're singing it in unison as they're playing.

I'm getting goosebumps. I think it's their perfect singing of it, but the power of animation man, when it hits, it hits HARD.

There was a story here a few days back about rescue workers singing it to a trapped little girl in order to keep her calm. One of the guys seemed embarrassed to know the lyrics and said something about "You know, it's just really catchy..."
:3:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

umalt posted:

I have to disagree, but I live in a city where it's winter six months of the year; in fact it snowed last week!

Not to say that snow can't be beautiful or that Frozen isn't, but in comparison to Tangled it didn't utilize the aesthetics of Snow to it's fullest potential.

Seconding. I lived in Montana for eight years and can tell you that there are days where you have to go out and photograph the snow becauae it's just that unique and beautiful. Hell, I don't even remember seeing any hoarfrost. And how lovely would crystalizing air have been in the sunlight?

But they were massively rushed, I know.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Macaluso posted:

Wreck-it Ralph lends itself way more to a sequel than Frozen does I think. I think you could do a lot of things with the Wreck-it Ralph world but Frozen should just get the Tangled treatment of doing a short based on it

It'd be difficult to get a great story built around it, but you could always explore the origins of Elsa's powers. Avoid midochlorians and it'd be fun.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

wdarkk posted:

It seems like one of those things where for every way to succeed, there's 20+ ways to fail.

Yup, you'd have to tread carefully. But if you could pull it off, it'd make the success that much richer.
Not that I have much faith it could be done well, but it could be done. v:shobon:v

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Frozen 2: Hans and Kristoff are Secret Brothers! Oh, No!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Looper posted:

It'd be real bad though

I mean, Disney's got a track record of what, two or three good sequels?

e: If this starts an argument, I want it stated for the record that Winnie the Pooh and Fantasia 2000 are unimpeachable works of art.

And Rescuers Down Under gave my eyes diabetes. :colbert:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Qindarka posted:

Is that meant to be a good or bad thing?

I meant 'cause it was such eye candy, but I'll lay blame on sleep deprivation.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I just finished watching Cloudy 2, While I didn't find it "way funnier than it had any right to be" like the first one, I still enjoyed it. I enjoyed the animation, the designs, the characters and the voice-acting.
Did not expect Kristen Schaal, but gratefully accepted Kristen Schaal.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Waffleman_ posted:

Are you telling me that Legends of Oz is literally a Spingtime for Hitler?

Except Springtime for Hitler turned a profit.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Aw, they're making a movie about Strong Sad. :3:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Personally, I agree with the big eyes from a design standpoint. Big eyes read (and like Macaluso pointed out, they've done an impeccable job on that) and they give an immediate foundation for certain aspects of the character (youth, energy, honesty, etc.). This is your main character and in a Disney film, that means he's got to be the one most quickly identifiable to the widest range of people. It's a shortcut for that. If anything they could make the slight slant more pronounced, but I'm reserving judgment at this point.

For the record, I thought the design of Russel in Up was charming, but his face certainly didn't communicate main character qualities.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

DoctorWhat posted:

Well, he wasn't the main character, was he?

That was my point? :confused:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Check out Broken Age then, I massively dug it but, I basically fellate Doublefine's games nonstop so my opinion isn't really that unbiased.

This. Oh, the script! Oh, the designs! Oh, the voice acting! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

AnimeJune posted:

The whole point of this new Maleficent movie was that her relationship with Aurora caused her to change her ways and accept love and become a heroine, etc. etc. You can't depict an interesting, well-rounded, nuanced relationship when one half is a complex, conflicted, layered individual and the other half is a potted plant. I couldn't buy Maleficent's change of heart for Aurora since Aurora is essentially a non-person with no distinctive personality traits whatsoever.

Worked for Lars and the Real Girl. :v:

• Locked thread