Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

miscellaneous14 posted:

That's kind of the funny thing about Summer Wars, it's relatively the same plot as the Digimon Movie with even a few of the same beats (e.g. everyone on the net around the world helping them in the finale), though with a stronger focus on the real world conflict.

Okay I've seen the Digimon movie, always loved the "Our War Game" part, and less than 5 minutes into Summer Wars HOLY poo poo SOME OF THE ANIMATION BITS ARE loving PLAGIARIZED.

I love this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

Sadly that's because 80% of Brother bear is pretty forgettable, the plot point and animation is good, but the characters don't really grab you.

On the DVD the moose have an in-character commentary track and if your DVD player supports it they get shadowcast onto the screen like in MST3K :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, especially when there's movies that only came out in 3D so if I want to see it, I pay extra for something I can't experience, and considering the process reduces the overall brightness.

Pick up some 2D glasses if you don't have them already, it flattens the image while eliminating the no-glasses blur.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Its a silly joke. Get over yourself.

It's a "silly joke" that perpetuates fear and hatred of an already brutally marginalized portion of the population, rear end in a top hat.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

You're getting worked up about a joke in a cartoon for stoned teenagers. Please check your privilege.

Teenagers are young enough that they might be persuaded not to be transphobic hateful sacks of poo poo, and "jokes" (read: hateful bile) like that one sabotage those efforts, rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: you ninja'd me, Vargo. I'm done.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Das Boo posted:

I played this game with a friend in middle school. You'd say the dumbest, most innocuous thing in a :pervert: tone and it would always sound dirty.

"I'd like to replace HIS transmission." :pervert:

In your endo :pervert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

don Jaime posted:

Did I just watch a monster die from a DDOS?

OH YES! Our War Game owns bones and Summer Wars does too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The brilliance of You're Only Second Rate is that it mirrors the rhythms of Genie-led songs from the first film and twists it into something cruel and campily menacing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Phylodox posted:

The original Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs isn't on Netflix in the States? It is here in Canada. Just got added recently.

It was for some time, but no longer is.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Das Boo posted:

For the record, I thought the design of Russel in Up was charming, but his face certainly didn't communicate main character qualities.

Well, he wasn't the main character, was he?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Das Boo posted:

That was my point? :confused:

Tone on the internet can be difficult to discern. I'm glad we're on the same page.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Robindaybird posted:

Ugh. I feel dirty, I actually cracked up at a dumb pun in the Planes 2 Trailer.

Pickup Trucks? Yeah that's actually kinda funny.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Man, I like American Tail, but it's not anywhere near THAT good. The animation is... fine, but it has the weird Don Bluth issues that plague all of his stuff. And if the "one of the most tear-inducing songs in children films history" song is Somewhere Out There, then I suppose the tear-inducing part is the high pitched screeching the main character does trying to hit the high notes.

The cover of "Somewhere Out There" from that one episode of Community is way loving better than any actual musical number in a Don Bluth film.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Defying Gravity, if nothing else, is loving incredible.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

"Voice of Aladdin's Genie"? "Voice of Aladdin's Genie!?

You're not going to do this today, Doc. Just walk... away...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Robin Williams as Wax Teddy Roosevelt was actually really inspired casting, and if those otherwise-mediocre films got any kids interested in museums OR Robin Williams, they were worth it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

so the Big Hero 6 Baymax twist is a straight-up ripoff of Mega Man Battle Network, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Circutron posted:

What? No. It's a metaphor sort of thing. He didn't literally upload himself into Baymax before he died.

oh I hadn't seen it I was just going off an earlier spoiler that I misread.

also trap sprung for remembering an obscure bit of video game ephemera I guess?

• Locked thread