Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Good news everyone! Princess Kaguya just went from "there's no way we're going to get this in the US" to "US release confirmed"

quote:

GKIDS announced that they have licensed Studio Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata's (Grave of the Fireflies, Pom Poko) The Tale of The Princess Kaguya for North American release. The film will be released in the U.S. this fall and will be submitted for Oscar qualification.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/03/12/gkids-to-distribute-studio-ghiblis-the-tale-of-the-princess-kaguya-in-north-america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Ballz posted:

Why was there concern it wouldn't see a North American release? It's Ghibli.

A couple of reasons, really. It took a long time for anyone to pick it up, it isn't targeted towards kids, it isn't Miyazaki, and the animation style is highly 'artistic', which isn't a good thing when it comes to the US market.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

raditts posted:

He is occasionally funny. What, has he lost even his pass for American Dad from goons now?

He doesn't write American Dad.

Also don't write off AD it is amazing.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Only if the Earth blows up.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I liked someone's idea of having a PC or just the internet plugged into their system.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Snow White would keep no one's attention these days, but I'd love to see an IMAX Sleeping Beauty.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I want to say kittens, but I fear I will be proven horribly wrong.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

I liked Maleficent a lot. The fairies were lame, but Jolie gives a good performance even if she's not Evil throughout. It's a good feminist revision of the story.

I know others have said it already, but it really isn't. Changing a powerful female character who was evil because she was evil to making her some poor victim of a man and that's why she's bad is hardly feminist. Plus it's horribly unfair to the King Stephan.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Finally got to see Princess Kaguya. Absolutely beautiful movie, and an awfully progressive retelling of the original tale. Definitely go see it if it's near you.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
You should probably go anyway since you'll most likely never see that much hand drawn animation on the big screen ever again.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

K. Waste posted:

Did you see the dubbed version or one with subtitles? The dub is really fantastic considering how central the lullaby is to the movie, but I'd like to know how it compares to the original Japanese voice cast.

Japanese cast is better, but not in the extreme way it can be sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Who could possibly hate Mulan? I mean, aside from my aunt who had to listen to the VHS until it wore down to nothing.

• Locked thread