Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gret posted:

I only finally found out today that Tudor is a watch brand. I was all set to ask how a watch brand can sponsor USCC when Rolex sponsors their first and biggest race before I also found out that Tudor is owned by Rolex.

I have a 1920s Tudor Rose Rolex watch :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Personperson14 posted:

Is there any sanctioning body that isn't batshit loving stupid/insane? I can't think of one. It's just varying degrees of it.

The V8 Supercars one isn't too bad. Sure they have had some brain fade moments, but all in all they haven't been too horrible. I don't think CAMS looks after the V8s anymore, I think it is TEGA.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LordPants posted:

They have had some howlers in the past, but I haven't watched it in such a long time I couldn't tell you what they're like now. :iiam:

Here is one of their finest moments :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99_DzgW_3DE

edit: Lowndes cut the track after the crash and recorded that fast lap and it stood for a while. :psyduck:

Nah, the best incident with Murphy was the 2002 Bathurst where he copped a 5 minute penalty. Seeing him march off to the toilet after parking the car was gold

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lowndes and the Ferrari won

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

devmd01 posted:

LeMans is pretty much the main reason I want an Audi as my next car.

Oh no you don't. When something goes wrong with them, it's remortgage the house time

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

What is it with GT racing with complete and utter destruction and poor driving standards?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Daveh posted:

A few more of the photos I took at Thruxton yesterday, these are all from Race 3.

Wait, is someone actually racing a Proton there or is that some car which has tail lights like a Proton?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I want to believe

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

VikingSkull posted:

Definitely. There's 3 races in the world that stand above the rest, and that's the Indy 500, Le Mans, and the TT. Everything else is much safer. The prestige and speeds combine for those 3 to make them legends.
Biased, I know, but Bathurst 1000 has got to be near the top as well. Especially in the early production car days

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Poor Webber :smith:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

markgreyam posted:

What is it? :ohdear:
They don't know yet. Just his mournful face on the Porsche #20 feed on Dailymotion I guess says it all.

EDIT: It's all over now :(

You Am I fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 15, 2014

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sandown 500 V8 Supercar race was held today. Spoilers below:

Jamie Whincup and his co driver won from pole, the first time someone has done that at the 500 since 1997. Sadly it looks like the Red Bull cars will be dominating again in the enduros, with Bathurst coming up soon. It's like opposite day in V8s compared to F1, where Red Bull are dominating and Mercedes is pretty crap (I think the highest Merc was 22nd).

Lee Holdsworth had a massive crash, if it is up on Youtube, check it out. 260km/h straight into a tyre bundle

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

dsriggs posted:

Ford bailing out of V8SC at the end of 2015
http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-s...m-1227085430883
I guess that was expected, but I thought they'd stick out for all of 2016. This isn't the first time Ford has done this in Australian Touring Cars. They killed off support in the late 70s when the Falcon was getting hosed by the Torana.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Wonderful timing with V8SC moving off free TV in Australia.

I didn't know that (although my interest in V8SC has all but disappeared these days). Has Foxtel grabbed the rights?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That's a huge cock up by the local council

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Whincup is a fraud, like most Red Bull drivers

It's always the number one Red Bull driver

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cat Terrist posted:

Look at all the cars that are now scraps of metal and race tape for panels

Aaaaand another Safety Car

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Scott Pye loves having huge crashes.
One of the rear tyres came off the rim. Lad is pretty unlucky

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Holy poo poo that turn two accident. I hope Holdsworth is ok

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bloody Ingall, he had two tyres on the dirt on the inside coming into turn two

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

This loving race. Poor Van Gisbergen

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cat Terrist posted:

How the hell that pit lane commentator hasnt been punched trying to get a word from Van Gisberg, I dont know

Yeah, I think they sent her after Brad Jones when the poo poo hit the fan for that team earlier in the race. She was giggling away like a brain dead blonde

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fag Boy Jim posted:

lmao so after all that it's a loving FPR/888 1-2-3-4, jesus christ, why can't bad poo poo ever happen to those guys

I had McLaughlin as my tip for winning. Then he binned it in The Cutting I was so heartbroken

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Smorgasbord posted:

I think that was just the cameraman, Mark Larkham is smart enough not to hassle a driver in that situation.

Nah, it was the female pit commentator, not Larko

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

OH poo poo WINTERBOTTOM :(

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gently caress WHINCUP

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Whincup jumps the start - wins the race

Frosty drive a good race, gets hosed

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

loving stop making apologies for Lowndes, you one eyed Holden gently caress Skaife

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cat Terrist posted:

gently caress Frosty forever, he's so much of a oval office he could play cricket

If Frosty is a oval office, he's only a small sized one compare to King Sized oval office Whincup

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

orange juche posted:

Whincup is gonna loving run out of gas, his crew chief is pleading with him to save fuel, and he has his head down trying to loving run fastest laps.

God I hope it happens, but I doubt it

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

HOLY poo poo

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

THE BEST BATHURST EVAR

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fag Boy Jim posted:

AHAHAHAHAHA gently caress YOU ALL PAUL MORRIS WINS A BATHURST

And no Red Bulls on the podium Good on ya Moffat, first Nissan podium at Bathurst since the Group A era

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Whoever got the tender to do the work on the track should be taken to the courts

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cat Terrist posted:

Did car 6 lead for a full lap at any stage?

No, they hadn't

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Smorgasbord posted:

Yeah I believe so. I was a big Longhurst fan back then, maybe that's why I've always hated that fat prick Morris.

Whenever there was an accident or incident in the V8s in the 90s/2000s, Morris was behind it. He was crowned most hated driver in V8s a few years in a row.

Love his speech though "Can't wait to go to Roland Dane's place next week"

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Fag Boy Jim posted:

as it stands, Ford are gone after 2015
Ford factory support will be gone, but I bet Penske and DJR will keep Ford alive on the track

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

VikingSkull posted:

Factory Trans-Am seems to be picking up steam here in the US, so I'm betting if Penske stays with Ford past 2015 it will be in a Mustang variant.

Do they sell Mustangs in Australia?

Ford Australia will be selling them from next year

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kilonum posted:

So my description to friends of "It's NASCAR, only it's primarily in Australia, they only race on road and street circuits, and the cars have doors that open and lights that work" is 100% accurate?

The chassis, roll cage, suspension and transaxle are the same, no matter who is running what body shell. The outer panels are a mixture of carbon fibre and sheet metal. The motors are really the only thing that splits a Ford from a Holden, Nissan, Volvo or AMG.

The AMG V8 seems to be down on power compared to the rest of the motors. Volvo in its first year have been great, and would've been going for a podium spot at Bathurst if they didn't hit the dirty side of the track and smacked the concrete wall.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GlenMR posted:

A Falcon/Commodore sized roll cage isn't going to fit in a 2-door Mustang bodyshell either. Could be a problem.
I could be wrong, but I think the car has to be a four door sedan anyway, thus discounting the Mustang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Alain Post posted:

For some reason I have downloaded like every V8 Supercar race since like 1998. I hate Jamie Whincup a lot.
Yeah, he truly is the Vettel of V8s. When he ran out of fuel on the last lap of Bathurst this year, it was massive karma moment.

Alain Post posted:

Erebus was apparently going to run a Doge car some time this year in V8SC, but someone took a lot of Dogecoin money and ran, or something.

I hate Erebus, btw. They killed SBR, which was a really cool team. Lee Holdsworth is wasting his career.
I hate the way Erebus has gone as well, since I am a fan of Mercedes Benz. Nissan has improved this year and Garry Rogers has been brilliant with his first year with Volvo, but Erebus has been busy with plugging up the back end of the field.

• Locked thread