Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Demon_Corsair posted:

I will probably just go with the second option, and just have a category that has 1 months pay in it as a "float". I know that as long as that to budget number isn't 0 I will allocate it. I have been using YNAB for too long not to.

Perfectly fine.

Option one would do that too though. But yeah, I'm also not a fan of budgeting too much into the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Demon_Corsair posted:

So I adjusted my budget to cover those mystery amounts for the first month (I'm backdating the budget to January) and then plugged in my transactions for Feb. Still get about -$2k across both accounts. Both are paid off in full every month and all transactions are categorized. This was never a problem in old YNAB.

What internal math do the credit card accounts do to come up with these numbers?

I can tell already the problem you will have is back dating. Ynab cares only about the present, what your balance is right now, what your budget categories are right now (if you already paid rent, that category would be 0 right now). You'll get history in time, but you're in for a mess to try to make the past work.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Slimy Hog posted:

I don't get what problems people have with credit cards. I've always set things up the way that YNAB wants them and have never had a problem :shrug:

I haven't had any issues with credit cards either. I watched the YNAB videos about using them, and also this guy on Youtube has a bunch of videos about how to set stuff up that are really well laid out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ix0Jibc0Lw

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

There is literally only one gotcha with credit cards: if you pay in full and get cash back, the cash will go to the credit card category and you have to move it out. Everything else works fine unless you are using it wrong.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Credit cards work fine in nYNAB and I've been using them with no issue for over 4 years, none of the complaints here make sense and all the posts detailing how credit cards are supposed to be used keep getting ignored by the posters having issues :shrug:

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
But why deal with all of the extra steps if you're paying it off in full every month? If I'm using a rewards card and apply a credit to my statement, I don't want to have to move a bunch of money around my budget after I add the transaction.

Just classify it as checking and keep it simple.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Edit: I can't read

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

drive me nuts to school posted:

But why deal with all of the extra steps if you're paying it off in full every month? If I'm using a rewards card and apply a credit to my statement, I don't want to have to move a bunch of money around my budget after I add the transaction.

Just classify it as checking and keep it simple.

You don’t move money around. It moves for you.

I’m so curious about the workflows for people who are using CCs as checking accounts. How would one of you do the task (buying masks, then paying off a CC) that uXs lays out? It’s literally two steps the default way.

uXs posted:

Say you have budgeted 200 for, um, face masks. You order some online, for 150, on your credit card. So in your credit card account, you add a transaction for 150, on the face mask category.

The 150 for face masks has now become 150 to pay for the credit card debt created by ordering the masks.

Later on, again, when the money to pay for your CC balance leaves your checking account, add it as a transfer from checking to CC.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
It's all inter budget so the payment for the credit card is just an account switch. It stays off budget. The original purchase is a budgeted item (as it should be) and the payment to the credit company is just background exchanges.

I see no value in the added complexity (regardless of how little or how much) in utilizing it in any other way.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

This conversation is starting to sound like the "you must only use manual entry or else you're not using YNAB right" conversation

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Slimy Hog posted:

This conversation is starting to sound like the "you must only use manual entry or else you're not using YNAB right" conversation

Not really, it’s not a philosophical perspective. Setting up credit cards as checking results in less work and potential for confusion. Setting them up as credit cards only adds the potential for mistakes or other things to get out of sorts. It’s just plain practical.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Not really, it’s not a philosophical perspective. Setting up credit cards as checking results in less work and potential for confusion. Setting them up as credit cards only adds the potential for mistakes or other things to get out of sorts. It’s just plain practical.

See what I mean? I disagree with this completely.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

You don’t move money around. It moves for you.

I’m so curious about the workflows for people who are using CCs as checking accounts. How would one of you do the task (buying masks, then paying off a CC) that uXs lays out? It’s literally two steps the default way.

It works fine for normal but x pay off credit cards. The issue is when you input a credit card reward as income on the credit account.

If you budget $50 to the credit card and categorize it as "to be budgeted" then your credit card line is now out of balance. And on the flip side, if you budget it as income as "credit card" it doesn't automatically transfer to "to be budgeted" and now you're in the same boat. In either scenario you have to perform a 3rd step of moving balances.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

There was just always some notification in the app that told me I had a negative budget somewhere to pay off the CC. Then I'd enter the payment and it would still be negative and I'd still have that notification or red number popping up every time I made a credit card purchase. It's an extra layer to represent things accurately, but I don't need to know how much money I have in the bank account if I flee the country before my CC bill gets paid. I consider that money gone when I spend it and it reduces a layer of complexity that doesn't really apply to me.

DrNewton
Feb 27, 2011

Monsieur Murdoch Fan Club
Personally with the new credit card system, I hated that the numbers were always green. Yes I paid $15 on a new shirt, and I had $20 in clothes budget, but I then would see it green $15 and think it was an extra $15 or a least "good it is covered" and then forget to ACTUALLY PAY MY CREDIT. YNAB 4 redness was my "pay your drat bill, you have it in your account, but the due date is soon". Dates next to the name of credit card didn't help.

When I turn my credit card account into checking the red was so much better at reminding me to pay my credit card and I didn't feel like I had an extra $15 dollars laying around. I know, I know, this is wrong, but green had been ingrained in my head that everything is fine and you don't need to do anything. RED gives me the "DEAL WITH THIS NOW"

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

FateFree posted:

There is literally only one gotcha with credit cards: if you pay in full and get cash back, the cash will go to the credit card category and you have to move it out. Everything else works fine unless you are using it wrong.

I think this explains why I don't have the issue others are having. I have my cash back set up to deposit into my checking account, not back onto the credit card, so I can move the money like a regular payment or use it for something else straight from the checking account.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Regarding the Plaid migration: anyone else having little troubles here and there with it? I had one bank that wouldn't sync unless I did MFA on a Mac. My other accounts seem to update less frequently.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

bort posted:

Regarding the Plaid migration: anyone else having little troubles here and there with it? I had one bank that wouldn't sync unless I did MFA on a Mac. My other accounts seem to update less frequently.

https://status.youneedabudget.com/

Looks like there is a current incident

bort
Mar 13, 2003

It wasn't. Plaid had a problem with USAA authentication. It should be fixed now, but I had to delete and recreate the connection. Support says not to do that for anything else, but if you're struggling with auth on USAA, looks like it's fixed.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

My USAA accounts are still updating but they're almost always 1 day old before updating vs 12 hours before. Very frustrating

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
My budget is very organised. Maybe too much. Kidding, I wish all my categories were this predictable.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

DoubleT2172 posted:

My USAA accounts are still updating but they're almost always 1 day old before updating vs 12 hours before. Very frustrating
This process will sort it out:
https://docs.youneedabudget.com/article/955-managing-connections

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Since the update to Plaid all my loans aren't updating and i sent a message to YNAB and got a boilerplate "it's always been hard for us to import information for loans etc" except i never had this issue and it always imported the payments until the update. Solid work by YNAB. I paid for this to not have to babysit transactions and their answer is "just start babysitting your loans and reconcile them with each payment"
I did do the process you mentioned Bort and that did fix all accounts not updating for over 24 hours, so thanks for that

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have several accounts that no longer link, both because they moved the bank/loan under the main address for the bank and both products I have sign in elsewhere and not at that site.

I've sent messages via the "contact" form they send you to but I haven't heard anything back.

My checking doesn't because it is a small credit union, and has never linked, so that I'm okay with, but, having half the stuff not work is a bit annoying.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
I had to send two messages about my credit union no longer linking, and it took about 3 months to fix it, but they did eventually fix it. Hopefully they fix yours too!

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I heard nothing back but the transactions I manually keyed in for May have disappeared from all my unlinked accounts, including the entire "wallet" account that I created for pocket cash.

e: so it decided to put me into a version of my budget that was archived ? panic over but what the heck

Partycat fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 19, 2020

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

What are the current alternatives out there to the old YNAB?

Im still running it fine in WINE on Linux and will presumably until the end of time, but I'm curious if there are any new alternatives out there that people like.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Partycat posted:

I heard nothing back but the transactions I manually keyed in for May have disappeared from all my unlinked accounts, including the entire "wallet" account that I created for pocket cash.

e: so it decided to put me into a version of my budget that was archived ? panic over but what the heck

What the actual heck! How strange.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Did what bort said after my credit card hadn't updated for a week and it worked. Manual import sucks!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Auto import stopped working on my credit card (amazon chase CC) and then it wouldn’t reconnect at all, so I had to set up another card in YNAB...

Now it’s still jacked up to where I think it’s best to do a fresh start so I’ll do that on the first of the month. If I pay off my credit card every month, what’s the best way to set it up in the system?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I have the same problem, it's importing pending charges which change and remove all the time so I've been manually doing it, I assume they are working on it

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Hey, folks. I've been using YNAB for years now and it's been working great for me. I've been over 30 days consistantly for a very long time. I want to never go back.

But my husband, who I've been living with for a year now, he's not so good with his money. We finally decided we needed a house budget, where we each contribute a particular share of our income into an account and then we budget money from that account the same way I budget money for myself right now: giving every dollar a job, hopefully never spending money that was put into that account within the same month that we put the money in. YNAB seems like the obvious tool for the job. The problem is how to organize it. I know I can create a seperate budget under my account, but he would need to be able to access it too. All this while we both still need to manage our own personal budgets.

I guess maybe we should share a YNAB account and have three budgets inside it (one for me, one for him, and one for the house)? Is YNAB gonna give us grief if we try to log into one account from two different phones?

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011
There shouldn't be any issues. Before my wife and I got married we had two budgets on my account with no issues.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

nwin posted:

Auto import stopped working on my credit card (amazon chase CC) and then it wouldn’t reconnect at all, so I had to set up another card in YNAB...

Now it’s still jacked up to where I think it’s best to do a fresh start so I’ll do that on the first of the month. If I pay off my credit card every month, what’s the best way to set it up in the system?

I have the same CC, and haven't had any issues with it. Have you unlinked and relinked the card, putting in your credentials again? The upgraded their transaction importing provider and re-linking connects it with through the new provider.

Funny enough, this is my only CC that imports on a regular basis. My Costco Visa CC only imports once every week or two, as well as my wife's BBVA CC, and is super annoying because she never enters anything manually.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Okay, I'll give YNAB another try. I really liked it in the past, but importing transactions from USAA was a pain in the arse. Reading that YNAB now uses a 3rd party integration with USAA that works for my current budget program (that I really don't like as much as YNAB) is giving me hope for another shot.

Is there a goon coupon code still?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I guess maybe we should share a YNAB account and have three budgets inside it (one for me, one for him, and one for the house)? Is YNAB gonna give us grief if we try to log into one account from two different phones?

Last I looked it's ok to do this, there are a bunch of official responses in the ynab forums that encourage it.

What you can do is have the normal credentials (email/password) login for yourself and have your husband login via oauth (link his Google account) to prevent physically sharing the password.

Feels like that's the best way. For all of the marketing and content ynab put out about how important it is to "budget together" they sure hosed up the concept of account sharing. Right from the get go they could have seperated the concept of a subscription/budget from a user account, and make it so you can provide other users access to your budgets.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Confirming it works. My wife and I share an account on our two phones and various laptops, we've never had any trouble logging in.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

Okay, I'll give YNAB another try. I really liked it in the past, but importing transactions from USAA was a pain in the arse. Reading that YNAB now uses a 3rd party integration with USAA that works for my current budget program (that I really don't like as much as YNAB) is giving me hope for another shot.

Is there a goon coupon code still?

I don't think there is a good coupon code, but anyone can give you a referral code which will get you a free month. Feel free to pm me if you want mine. (for transparency sake I also get a free month if you use my code)

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Yikes so my capital one is flaky with business accounts, my personal checking and credit cards are fine. Although, a few months ago I had to reauth every day with an SMS code. I had an open ticket with support for about a month but they finally replied and said there is no eta, and DON'T relink. My wife's account was totally hosed so I relinked hers for the hell of it, and there is just a message saying capital one won't work and to tweet at them. So if you have a working capital one account, don't relink because it looks like Plaid doesn't support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Capital One has basically not worked in months with some rare exceptions.