Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Omne posted:

I'd add joint budgeting

$420/month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Hello YNAB thread. I just started using YNAB several weeks ago and I have a pretty basic question.

The $150 is a payment I made a few days ago. The $418.55 is the amount I have charged to that particular card.

Why is the $418.55 labeled as "available for spending" when the money is already spent?

Where this really confuses me is when I'm moving money.

Why is it green if it is money that I have spent? It is not, in fact, available for spending. It's what I owe to the credit card company, so in my brain shouldn't it be red like an overspent category?

Thanks.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

All of the advice you're probably going to get is "Delete your amazon credit card and re-add it as a checking account"
The way nYNAB handles credit cards is weird and often does not make sense or has weird idiosyncrasies like arbitrary yellows, and moving them to regular accounts will simplify a lot of things for you

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

boop the snoot posted:

Why is it green if it is money that I have spent? It is not, in fact, available for spending. It's what I owe to the credit card company, so in my brain shouldn't it be red like an overspent category?

From YNAB's perspective it's money that you owe--but you haven't spent yet. It's budgeted toward the category of "pay off the credit card" but it's still technically available to move around like money in any other category.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Delete your CC and re-add it as a checking account :v:

e: VV yes, do exactly this. Not suggesting nuking everything you have!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 9, 2021

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
You can easily move all the transactions from the credit card to the checking account before deleting the original too.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Well that’s a bit disappointing.

I’ll do the checking account method. Thanks everyone!

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

boop the snoot posted:

Well that’s a bit disappointing.

I’ll do the checking account method. Thanks everyone!

I've never had any trouble with having credit cards as designed on YNAB. It just means that for any accounts set up as credit cards, 'available' doesn't actually mean available money for you to spend. It's the available money for you to make a payment to your CC. It's green because it isn't overspending, it's money you budgeted for in a different category.

It perhaps does get more complicated if you have a balance you are paying over time. However if you don't, you just never 'assign' money to your CC category for payment. I never even look at that column to be honest, I just use the available column tell me how much to pay to my credit cards whenever I want/need to make a payment.

Robot Mil fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 10, 2021

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Robot Mil posted:

I've never had any trouble with having credit cards as designed on YNAB. It just means that for any accounts set up as credit cards, 'available' doesn't actually mean available money for you to spend. It's the available money for you to make a payment to your CC. It's green because it isn't overspending, it's money you budgeted for in a different category.

It perhaps does get more complicated if you have a balance you are paying over time. However if you don't, you just never 'assign' money to your CC category for payment. I never even look at that column to be honest, I just use the available column tell me how much to pay to my credit cards whenever I want/need to make a payment.

:same:

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I was utterly mystified by YNAB's credit cards at first so I rebuilt mine as checking accounts. Then once I was familiar with the software I went back and created them "the right way" and it went a lot better. I think it helped me simplify the learning curve.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

wizzardstaff posted:

I was utterly mystified by YNAB's credit cards at first so I rebuilt mine as checking accounts. Then once I was familiar with the software I went back and created them "the right way" and it went a lot better. I think it helped me simplify the learning curve.

I have this personality defect that does not allow me to use workarounds, so in spite of what I said a few posts ago, I spent several hours today messing around with new budgets and I think I finally got the credit card thing figured out. It's one of those things that will suddenly click if you mess with it long enough.

E: the confusing this is something that was mentioned above but I didn’t know was relevant to put in my OP — I have another credit card that I am working to pay off and the way it displays budget usage and balances and money available wasn’t making sense to me. It does now.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 10, 2021

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010

Robot Mil posted:

I just add another vote for using credit cards as intended. I've always done it this way, and I have never had issues with credit cards.

Yes it's a lot more complicated. The problem is it's hard to offer advice to someone else's specific scenario because there are a lot of factors that could be affecting what numbers actually show on the budget page.

One thing I do that I never see talked about is if I'm adding to a CC balance into the next month I will "borrow" that money from the card but putting a negative amount in that card's To Be Budgeted line.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Someone wrote a script that converts YNAB4 from 32-bit to 64-bit, enabling it to be used on newer Mac OS. Provided you still have your key.

Use at your own risk, of course. I didn't write it so I have no idea if it also steals all your information. https://gitlab.com/bradleymiller/Y64/-/blob/master/install

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I flipped through the last couple pages.

Wife and I used YNAB4 forever till about 9ish month ago when I think iphone update went sideways and it started acting wonky. At that point we kinda just said gently caress it and went off budget and uhh, it made for a really poor year finance wise.

We want to get back on the horse for the new year, and want to find a new personal finance management platform. The last couple pages aren't giving much of a ringing endorsement for the current YNAB, so are their any other options out there that goons like?

Phone app purchase tracking isn't anything we care about. We mainly want a good PC based budgeting tool with good control over spending categories. Something that can sync in credit card statements would be great since that took up most of our monthly budgeting labor time getting everything manually imported.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I flipped through the last couple pages.

Wife and I used YNAB4 forever till about 9ish month ago when I think iphone update went sideways and it started acting wonky. At that point we kinda just said gently caress it and went off budget and uhh, it made for a really poor year finance wise.

We want to get back on the horse for the new year, and want to find a new personal finance management platform. The last couple pages aren't giving much of a ringing endorsement for the current YNAB, so are their any other options out there that goons like?

Phone app purchase tracking isn't anything we care about. We mainly want a good PC based budgeting tool with good control over spending categories. Something that can sync in credit card statements would be great since that took up most of our monthly budgeting labor time getting everything manually imported.

I like ynab and find the complaints in the internet usually overblown or due to a misunderstanding of the software (or trying to make it work in a different way since YNAB is very opinionated). My suggestion is to get a free trial and see if it's for you since I'm not aware of anything out there with the features of YNAB

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

I like ynab and find the complaints in the internet usually overblown or due to a misunderstanding of the software (or trying to make it work in a different way since YNAB is very opinionated). My suggestion is to get a free trial and see if it's for you since I'm not aware of anything out there with the features of YNAB

Yeah, I guess that cant hurt. I did so, and will probably do a fresh start just to clean out all the crud. Uh, how do you show multiple months on this thing?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
You don't.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Yeah, I guess that cant hurt. I did so, and will probably do a fresh start just to clean out all the crud. Uh, how do you show multiple months on this thing?

Open multiple tabs for every month you want to see.

Alternatively, install YNAB4 problem solved

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This final paycheck put into YNAB has pushed my liquid net worth to crack $100,000. Most of that is saving for a house and will vanish but it's a REALLY good feeling. 6 years ago in January 2015 when I started YNAB I had $540 in my checking account, $1600 in credit card debt, and about $15,000 owed on my car still. What a ride.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Net worth doesn't vanish when you buy a home! :eng101:

I'm at just about the same point myself, I think it was also in early 2015 where after Christmas my wife and I overdrafted our checking account 3 times in 2 months and convinced ourselves that we needed to do something real instead of just putting a budget in a spreadsheet and going "wha happen?" every 30 days.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The first hundred thousand is the hardest. Congrats!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They're hiring another web developer, again. For 130-160K$/yr. Let's see if that finally ends up in actual new features, or if they rewrite the calculation engine for a fourth time just for shits and giggles.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Anyone ever use Tiller? Im considering switching from YNAB again, but I have yet to find a worthy successor.

E: Also Pocketsmith is in the running for me too.

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 14, 2022

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I haven't extensively used it, but if YNAB4 ever stops working, I'm planning on looking at Actual Budget, just to give you another thing to look in to.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I just can't reconcile subscription-baded budget apps but this is where they're all moving so I guess I'm just out of touch at this point.

YNAB4...cold dead hands...etc.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Chaotic Flame posted:

I just can't reconcile subscription-baded budget apps but this is where they're all moving so I guess I'm just out of touch at this point.

YNAB4...cold dead hands...etc.

They have to pay for 3rd party integrations like plaid, so they will pass that cost onto you. If I ever built one it would be free without bank import and paid with it.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
be sure to get in on the class action settlement against plaid to get some of that money back!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's been a few months since the YNAB price increase was announced, how is everyone doing with other options? I need a budget app but no I am not going to sink 100 a year into it lmao.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Mad Wack posted:

be sure to get in on the class action settlement against plaid to get some of that money back!

Got any info on this? Plaid has been driving me insane the last 6 months…

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

It's been a few months since the YNAB price increase was announced, how is everyone doing with other options? I need a budget app but no I am not going to sink 100 a year into it lmao.

I've been using budget with buckets. It's actually going pretty well - I always manually entered transactions so I haven't tried the auto importing features to see how well they work. It has pretty much all the features i like - the ability to set a variety of types of goals, auto budgeting, fairly easy management of accounts, solid UI.

The downsides: You can't enter payees (there is a memo section but it's not filter or searchable). I also don't think you can easily transfer money between buckets. Credit cards set as debt accounts work fine but they get a bit freaked out if you have a positive balance. If an app or web access is important then... Well it doesn't have one, it's a desktop application only.

Overall - works well for us so far, not as slick as ynab but suits our style of budgeting well (sitting down a couple of times a week to add transactions and check everything).

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

thegreatcodfish posted:

Got any info on this? Plaid has been driving me insane the last 6 months…

https://www.plaidsettlement.com/

you also might get something in the mail about it, i did

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Mad Wack posted:

https://www.plaidsettlement.com/

you also might get something in the mail about it, i did

The amount of work to fill that form out is in no way worth the $4 I'll get from this settlement.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

quote:

(2) obtained log-in credentials (username and password) through its user interface, known as “Plaid Link,” which had the look and feel of the user's own bank account login screen, when users were actually providing their login credentials directly to Plaid.
:wtc:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Seems to still be the case based on their user agreement (unless I’m reading this wrong).

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Grumpwagon posted:

I haven't extensively used it, but if YNAB4 ever stops working, I'm planning on looking at Actual Budget, just to give you another thing to look in to.

I'm on YNAB for my personal budget and my wife and I are looking for something that will work well for us for a joint budget.

We don't really care about bank synching since we just enter things manually and Actual is…sort of OK for us.

Good if the main things you want are rule based interpretation of imported data to planned expense. Good for entering things on a phone while out and about (though weirdly takes extra taps to enter a transaction). Good for envelope budgeting and having categories and subcategories.

Does not do YNAB goals at all, which kind of sucks, since those calculations were really great for automating decisions about allocations. It's not impossible to do by hand but then why am I using a fancy app.

Depending on your priorities, and which parts of YNAB you value, Actual could be fine or kind of a disappointment.

We're having a hard time figuring out if Actual is more useful than the shared spreadsheet we've been using.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I'm still using YNAB4 for now, but I got Firefly running and managed to import all my YNAB4 transactions, so that's a good start.
It's not zero-based budgeting like YNAB though: Your budget is not linked to your account balances. Every month (or week, or whatever budget period you want to use), you decide, how much money you want to have available that month and then allocate that to your categories (manually or automatically based on the last month).
This is for money you're actually expecting to spend that budget period.
All other money goes into your savings account(s), where you can assign it to piggy banks. Those are for saving up for specific things, or just as more or less specific emergency funds you can draw from when you need it.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Do budgets roll over month to month?

For example I have $100 set aside every month for spending, but I only spend $50 of it this month.

Do I have $150 next month? Or do I only need to assign $50 to spending and my budget is a strict $100 every month?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

boop the snoot posted:

For example I have $100 set aside every month for spending, but I only spend $50 of it this month.

Do I have $150 next month? Or do I only need to assign $50 to spending and my budget is a strict $100 every month?

First one

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

Just imagine an envelope that you put $100 into every month. If there's $50 in on dec 31, there will be $50 in it the next morning on Jan 1st. If you want to top it off to 100, you'd put another 50 in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

boop the snoot posted:

Depends.

The first one is what realistically is happening but the 2nd can be good if you are trying to pay off debt or add to a savings category. Since you were under budget one month and have maybe told yourself "I will only spend up to $100 each month" then you just got yourself 50 bux to spend elsewhere. So the next month you can assign only $50 to top off to $100, assign $100 a month regardless and have $150, or assign $100 and recategorize the extra $50 somewhere else.