Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice
I paid the $60 for YNAB and am not at all disappointed. I will say that I had to stick with it for a while before I really got it, but now I couldn't live without it.

The iPhone app is really good. If I force myself to enter transactions on it as they happen, keeping things up to date takes almost no time at all. The app is limited to entering transactions and seeing budget and account information, so don't buy this expecting something that would work without an actual computer.

Another amazing side effect was that this clicked with my wife where Mint didn't. I set her up with the iPhone app, and she might keep closer tabs on it than I do. Trying to discuss anything about Mint usually ended with eye rolls.

The online classes and tutorials are probably a necessity. YNAB has a pretty specific way that it wants to work that can take a little time to learn, but is simple once you get it. If you are set in your own ways and not willing to adopt their methods, this probably isn't the software for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice

DrBouvenstein posted:

In my budget, where do I put in income? Everything is all showing over-budgeted because I only have my account as it stands now, not my future paychecks. Is there a way to add those in the budget, or do I add them in as a "scheduled transaction" on the main account summary page and it will add it in for me to my budget?

This is one of the things YNAB does on purpose that is a little confusing at first. YNAB does not try to be a forecasting tool. They simply want you to budget the money that you have on hand right now. You can certainly schedule your paycheck if you want for ease of entry, but this has the same effect as entering it manually would. Those funds aren't available until the date they hit your account.