Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

buglord posted:

Hopped over to budgetwise. Theres a lot of stuff missing, but once things like charts and reports get implemented, I'm probably doing the $99 lifetime option. I'm tired of subscriptions.

First I’ve heard of budgetwise after using YNAB for a few years. My student subscription is running out soon and the $99 lifetime appeals to me.

What I like about ynab is auto import and ability to adjust budget on a whim if needed. I also like being able to do things on my iphone thru an app or desktop if needed. How does budget wise really differ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So my free trial of YNAB is ending and honestly $80 a year is more than I’d rather spend, but I’ll do it if I have to.

Are there any apps with the same functionality but cheaper/free?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

There’s no app with Financier, just a website, correct?

The only thing it sounds like I’ll miss then is the app and the importing transactions from my credit cards, but I can live with that.

Thanks all.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wtf-how much is it going to be now?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah I really need to look at other budget software to switch over to before my annual subscription is up for renewal again.

All I care about is being able to enter items on my phone and have it merge with my budget.

The credit card import feature is nice, but not a need to have so long as I could manually import purchases from the CC.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What I don’t like about credit cards is how my chase card hasn’t synced into YNAB for 3 days...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Dog walkers cost $550/month? Holy poo poo.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Xik posted:

We're doing our 6 monthly, "should we move over to nynab" check. I just searched how to share a budget with partner and got this thread.

God it's sooooo difficult to like YNAB as an org and product, even when the method has made such a huge positive impact on our lives. There's this sort of cultish air to all the communities (forums, reddit etc) and the staff and official comms all come off like they love the smell of their own farts even as they give you terrible advice.

poo poo-I think my annual subscription is running out soon.

Maybe I’ll just make a spreadsheet and try that out for a while. None of the other programs seem to offer auto-import.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

tater_salad posted:

Budgetwise keeps improving and while not automatic 99 for lifetime is not a bad deal or $4/Month.

I might try that-I just started up my Mint account again and set my budget up. I figure I’ll try that starting in January to see how I like it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Try having a kid or two in figure skating. Holy poo poo that loving pie slice in reports, and constantly red number in the budget line item. :smith:

Wait why? What else besides skates? Rink fees and travel I’m guessing? Maybe outfits since it’s figure skating? My kid is 15 months old so he hasn’t exactly taken to a sport yet.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

$1000 skates with custom parabolic blades that they grow out of every year, private lessons x5000, travel competitions, costumes/props (1 per routine!).

Thankfully my wife finds a lot of stuff second hand. It’s still a loving sinkhole of money with the amount of private lessons needed to be competitive. I want to die when I see the yearly total. My wife always asks if she can be a stay at home mom and I joke (sort of) that the girls have to give up skating. She still works.

Holy gently caress. I hope my son does swimming or something. Trunks and goggles aren’t expensive at least.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Voodoofly posted:

Ha ha holy poo poo swimming is not cheap

Dammit

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Auto import stopped working on my credit card (amazon chase CC) and then it wouldn’t reconnect at all, so I had to set up another card in YNAB...

Now it’s still jacked up to where I think it’s best to do a fresh start so I’ll do that on the first of the month. If I pay off my credit card every month, what’s the best way to set it up in the system?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

StormDrain posted:

Oh man there are still high yield accounts? Mine dropped from 2% down to 0.55%.

I agree with your sentiment that it should be in a stable liquid account, that's good advice.

Mine did too. I think most did.

I’m actually trying out Yotta Bank today. It offers a lower apr at .2%, but for every $25 you deposit, you get put into a weekly lottery with a chance to win anything from .01 to $10,000,000 (through someone the bank got insurance from). Some people in Reddit are reporting they get over 1% APR and it’s still FDIC insured, so I figure it’s worth a shot.

If you give it a shot, use referral code NICHOLAS523

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm back to ask about the state of new YNAB again. I've been doing the kind of janky bulk imports into ynab4 and it works ...ok. So I'm wondering once again if it's worth switching to nYNAB.

Or if there are any good competitors that are getting up to feature parity.

Not to hijack-but is there any way to download YNAB4 for iOS so I don’t have to pay for it? I’m using nYNAB now but I don’t auto import.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone try GoodBudget? Apparently there’s a free and premium tier.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I look forward to the AMA on Reddit tomorrow. Lmao

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

gschmidl posted:

I've been using this and it immediately "clicked" for me while YNAB never did. There's also a basically unlimited trial period, it just shows you a budgeting bucket for the software itself that you can't remove until you pay.

Is there any talk of developing an app for it? I don’t like YNAB, but I do like that it’s easy to enter items on my iPhone. Auto import has always been a pain for me so I manually enter everything and I like doing it then and there (get gas, enter it in the app. Go to Costco, enter it into the app by category while it’s fresh on my mind).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

TheCenturion posted:

I mean, the link that was posted straight up says 'iOS coming soon' and 'Android coming soon' so, maybe?

Oh thanks. They’ve been saying that for a while so it’s good to see they’re finally doing a beta test.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

For some reason the amount in my checking account is not reconciling with my budget.

Like if I’ve overspent this month, it shows I only overspent by $500, which I should be able to cover in my checking, but my checking account only has $200 in it.

I do my budget slightly different than YNAB wants so that might be some confusion.

At the beginning of the month, I list all my expenses. Let’s say that totals $10000. My salary doesn’t change and I know I bring in $12000 a month. Based on that, I know at the end of the month I should have a $2000 surplus, which I’ll put into my emergency fund (which is just listed as a tracking asset account). Sometimes things happen, and if I budgeted $800 for groceries but spent $900, I adjust the budgeted amount to $900 which reduces my surplus to $1900.

Given the above example, I should have $1900 in my checking account ready to move into my emergency fund at the end of the month. However, this month there was only $1500. I account for every item I purchase so I’m not sure where the hiccup is. The only other thing I can think of is I have a credit card which I use 90% of my purchases for. When I record those transactions, they deduct from the appropriate budgeted amount and I pay off the credit card each month.

Any ideas?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Dr. Mix posted:

nwin did you have any negative categories from the previous month? These don't transfer to the next month (unlike a category surplus), so perhaps you had spending last month that accounts for the $400 difference.

Also, it sounds like you should try the account balance reconciliation and see if that creates a $400 adjustment.

I can’t recall.

I’ve ended up trying something different with a new budget. Basically instead of living paycheck to paycheck, I set aside enough in my checking account to cover a months worth of expenses and budgeting from there…basically how YNAB wants you to operate.

I’m losing out on HYSA interest, but it seems to be working and reconciling a bit better so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm still using YNAB4 and will continue to do so until it just no longer works. Their SaaS product has seemingly not gotten any better since the last time I looked at it, so onwards I go using YNAB4 for another year.

Also they launched a new newsletter called "Loose Change", lmao.

Can you still download ynab4 anywhere and if so, can I just use it in my iPhone? I don’t care about importing.