Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Bloody Queef posted:

How do people handle investments in the budget side of things? I get that you can add a line item under savings for "investments" but the balance of investments will change due to gains/losses etc. Is there a way to track that in the budget portion, or is that budget investment number (overall, not monthly addition) a made up number?

For clarity:
I decide to put $250 a month into an investment account. After 4 months the balance in my Budget area will say $1,000. But let's say I made some good trades and turned that $1,000 into 1,100. So my investment account says 1,100 but my budget area for investment says 1,000. How can I reconcile those?

You can just add in interest/dividends/gains as an influx. I do it with my emergency fund every couple of months to align the balance in YNAB with my actual balance. I just did it today, adding $13 in interest income to that account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Lady Gaza posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for how to budget with a payday near the end of the month? I get paid on the 25th so if I budget for rent etc. it puts me as over budgeted since I don't have enough in my account to cover the various transfers I'll be making out of my account on the 26th.

You get paid on the 25th, and then you write a check for the next month's rent (I assume due on the 1st) on the 26th?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Question about a discretionary savings account...

Let's say I have a main checking account, where my direct deposit goes and from which I pay all bills. I have an on-budget credit card that I use for monthly expenses, which I pay off every week from that checking account. I also have a savings account linked to the checking account, which is where I would have my fun money. But I'm getting a bit confused and would appreciate someone looking over the flow of actual cash for me to keep me honest.

Scenario: I buy a book from Amazon, marking it on my credit card account as a hit against the discretionary budget. I then transfer funds from the savings account to the checking account, and then use those funds to pay for the book as a transfer from checking to credit card.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

That's exactly right, YNAB doesn't give a poo poo where the money actually is when you buy stuff and make categorized transactions, all the transfers are bookkeeping for you to keep account balances how you want them.

That's what I thought, it's just a pain. The balance on the savings account doesn't match the balance in the budget category until you actually transfer the funds from savings to checking (to then pay off the credit card).

I am open to other ideas if anyone has them.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I get that, and that's exactly how I use it for most spending. When I get gas, that goes on my CC, which has a negative balance until I transfer from checking to CC. It's just with my savings account, it gets weird because there's an added step.

Let's say I have a $500 budget in a category called Spending. My savings account balance is also $500. I buy a $20 book from Amazon, which is recorded on my credit card against that Spending category, which is now at $480. I would need to transfer $20 from my savings account to checking, and then from checking to CC to zero out the credit card and balance savings and Spending. It's not spending to the balance, it's still spending to the budget category. There's a multi-step transfer that accomplishes balancing the account to the budget category and zeroing out the credit card balance.

It would be easier if I didn't have the savings account and just kept everything in checking, but I'd prefer to keep it separate for now. Paying the credit card from the savings account could work, but now I'm splitting payments. I need to see what portion of the balance is normal spending, and which is from the Spending category

EDIT: I like paying it off every week. It keeps things honest and I can better see if my CC balance matches what I have in YNAB.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Old Fart posted:

See, you're still looking at your bank accounts. It takes a while to kick this habit. And I get wanting to have the credit card paid off all the time. I used to pay it weekly, too. It was a difficult step to let that go.

Your budget has nothing to do with your bank accounts. It doesn't matter if your spending budget has $480 left in it, and your savings account has $500. You spend to your budget, not to your bank account.

This mindset becomes very helpful when your monthly budget is $3000 and your savings account has $15,000 in it.

I am not spending to the account, I am spending to the budget. It just so happens that my savings account balance IS my spending budget overflow. I get paid, I budget out money for bills, buffer, short-term savings, etc., and some into the savings account, which is my spending budget. Say my balance in the budget is $500. I get paid and I budget $200 to spending money, transfer the funds from checking to savings. Now my savings account/spending budget is $700. I have $700 to spend, because my budget has $700 in it. This just so happens to be the same amount of the savings account.

Obviously this is too complicated for anyone, including me, to do correctly, so I'll just move the balance of the savings account into checking and put it all into that spending budget line. Otherwise it's just unnecessary transferring of funds and YNAB doesn't like it

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The interest rate on my savings account is 0.1%

I put my emergency fund into an ING/CapitalOne 360 account, earning a sweet 0.75%. I remember when it was 4%.

Anyway, I decided to just keep a long-term savings account off-budget, and kill the on-budget short-term savings/slush fund and just keep all of that in my checking. Makes it easier.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Mine didn't get bigger...though it did double every transaction and destroyed my budget. Had to start over

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Let me talk this out and see if I'm crazy...

I bought something online. It went into my Discretionary budget, charged to my credit card. I then paid off the full balance of that card over the weekend. I am returning the item I bought. I know I will mark that as a "credit" on my credit card account, but I can't exactly put that money back into my discretionary budget, can I?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

For me the best part of the AMA was how 879 people asked for the three-month view back, and the CEO kept saying "We just don't see the demand for it."

I'm sticking with YNAB4

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Wow looks like I just squeezed in (charged on Nov 5th for the same amount I was charged in 2020/2019/2018

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

I'd add joint budgeting

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

A software program going from a flat fee to a subscription service back in 2016 is not the reason anyone is financially vulnerable. At its core, it is a system of organization. It does not control how much, or how little, money anyone has. The same organization can be accomplished in several other ways, for less cost.

I hope everything works out for you and you are able to get back on your feet soon.

Omne fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 31, 2023

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

apatheticman posted:

I legitimately don't know how you can read this last page and come up with that take.

That's not what anyone is saying.

He literally said YNAB keeps people poor and YNAB says it's their fault. But he's edited his whole post, so let's move on

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

If you really want to see some poo poo, check out how they looked to hire a Director of Product:

quote:

I wanted to reiterate our hiring process here, so that you can refer back to it as needed. (I'll keep you updated throughout, too!)

The application deadline is September 10th. Given the number of applications that we usually receive, we plan to make decisions about a week after that. I'll then let you know if you'll be moving on to the next stage. You'll definitely hear from me either way!

After that, the process should look something like this, with fewer people moving on to each step:

A written questionnaire (mid-Sept)
First video interview with 2-3 team members (early Oct)
A paid, skills-based project and a second video interview to review it together (mid-Oct)
Third video interview with another 2-3 team members (late Oct)
Fourth video interview with some of our executive team members (early Nov)
In-person interview with Todd (mid/late Nov)
Decision made (early Dec)
Whew! As you can imagine, we're coordinating with people all across the company, in a wide variety of timezones and with varying levels of availability. If any of these dates change, I’ll be sure to let you know as soon as we know.

We so appreciate your time and patience, and are excited to get to know you! Thank you again for applying.

More from us soon,

Amber & the YNAB team

P.S. While you wait, did you know that we made our very own mixtape of hit songs, rewritten with budgeting lyrics? You can check it out on our 404 page.

P.P.S. I'll be your main point of contact throughout this hiring process. Please add my email address <redacted> to your contacts list, so that all my future emails make it safely to your inbox.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Do I *need* to track every single dollar in YNAB to keep my financial health? No.

Do I get immense pleasure from continuing to do so? Absofuckinglutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

drat I thought I had a lot (45, 39 regularly used) of categories