Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

I just got this yesterday on sale, and set it up today with my accounts, and I've got a few questions:

In my budget, where do I put in income? Everything is all showing over-budgeted because I only have my account as it stands now, not my future paychecks. Is there a way to add those in the budget, or do I add them in as a "scheduled transaction" on the main account summary page and it will add it in for me to my budget?

Income is a transaction. Click "Add a Transaction" from the Accounts screen. The category will most likely be "Income for January", unless you are already at Step 4. YNAB is a quite a bit different from other budgeting methodologies in that you shouldn't actually budget to any of your categories until you have the actual income (Step 1). That's why it's saying you are overbudgeted because you don't have any income transactions yet.

You should definitely sign up for their class. I think it's an hour, and the system requires you to use their methodology.

Edit. Psyche, looks like you're doing it pretty close to right based on your screenshots. They will continue to be "overbudget" until get paid again. What you can do is only budget out the money you have made to those different categories. Maybe your bills won't be completely covered yet, but they will be by the end of the month.

Side note, I've been using YNAB for about 6 months and love it. It's a game changer when you get to Step 4.

I Love Topanga fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003

Bloody Queef posted:

Look for transposition errors the easy way!

The difference will by divisible by nine. Divide the difference by 9 (or 90, 900, 9000, etc) and that's the difference between the two swapped digits. The original difference value will be what digit is being swapped.
Example: You're off by 180. So we're looking for something transposed in the hundreds digit that has a value differential of two. Look at the hundreds and tens digits of your data set. Look out for a number that looks like the followng:
9750, 4680, 3350, etc. A number like that is probably your culprit.

You just blew my mind.

I Love Topanga
Oct 3, 2003
That's what I do. It works well.