Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
YNAB is seriously amazing. I started using it near the end of November, and it's really helped stop frivolous spending and allowed me to get an overview of my financial situation. Even when I do want to buy something "extra," I just make sure I've budgeted accordingly. I'm currently focusing on saving up for an all-encompassing emergency fund, but over the next few months I hope to build up a 1-month buffer as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
My student loans enter repayment in March, so I'm trying to figure out how to handle them in YNAB. I have two loans, currently listed as off-budget accounts.

How do I go about budgeting/paying for these in YNAB, and how do I account for interest accrued, and payments toward principal/interest? I'm thinking of making a 'Debt' master category, but don't really know where to go from there. I figure I should budget the minimum payments, but I'm going to be paying over the minimums aggressively, and the accounts are off-budget...

Grouco fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 8, 2014

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Thanks, I think I'll try to come up with a combination of spinst and 100 HOGS AGREE, since I'd like to track the overpayments.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Does anyone have suggestions on how to handle splitting a dinner bill?

I have a 'Restaurants' sub-category in a 'Luxuries' master. Say I go out for dinner, and it costs $60 total. I'll end up putting $60 on my CC, while my date/friend gives me $30 cash. So far I've just been listing $60 as a Restaurant outflow, and then counting the $30 as new income for the month.

Is there a better way to do this? Maybe with split transactions or something?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Great, that seems like the way to go. Thanks!

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I get paid on the 15th and 30th/31st of every month. I can budget my entire month with one of my semi-monthly paycheques, so I just fill everything out for the following month on the 31st. The paycheque I get on the following 15th gets dumped into either savings or debt repayment categories. I have a $5k category called 'Debt Repellent,' which is my emergency fund, though I also have categories built up with money categorized for 'Medical,' 'Car Maintenance,' etc. I'm not sure if this is doing Rule 4 correctly, but it's working for me...

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I forgot about a refer-a-friend promotion on my credit card, and noticed a $100 credit was posted this morning. How should I handle this in YNAB? Just a $100 inflow to my CC as income available for August?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I get paid on the 15th and 30th/31st, but I enter the 30th/31st payment as the 1st of the next month. For example, the money deposited on Jul 31st was entered into YNAB on August 1st as Income for September, which I then budget.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I have a "Cash" account, which I'll just transfer into from my chequing. I do track cash spending (groceries, household goods, alcohol, etc.) because I'm anal like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
- no multi-month
- inadequate Info/PerSec procedure disclosure
- inability to carry forward negative balances
- SaaS model susceptible to fx fluctuations
- no reporting

remind me again why I should try this "upgrade?