Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I'll throw in here that YNAB has really helped us slowly overcome the paycheck to paycheck cycle (along with Goon help).

While YNAB is on sale on Steam this doesn't matter, but here's a $6.00 off coupon for when it's not on sale: http://ynab.refr.cc/CFWF5J3 - This is an affiliate link, but I don't think there's a way to give out the coupon code without the affiliate link. I don't think there's a better coupon out there either.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
You're only supposed to budget what you currently have with YNAB. It looks like you did something like use last month's values in August so that's why you're negative all over the place. Delete all of the numbers in the "budgeted" column for August to get things back to normal. When you actually get your next paycheck, enter it in as income, and then budget it.

It's kind of the point of the YNAB method. Be sure to watch the videos on how to enter stuff - it really helps. When you have enough money in savings or whatever to cover your expenses for the next month, then that's when you start to budget ahead of time.

Also if you're interested in your net worth then include your car's blue book value or whatever as an off-budget asset.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

HonorableTB posted:

drat, I didn't actually remove the July rent line item like I thought I did. No wonder it shows me so overbudget. It's trying to account for a rent it thinks I'm paying twice. I paid July's rent on June 27th with money I made in June. It has no bearing on my July budget :doh:

It's confusing at first but it gets easier.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
We're moving this month, and to do so we have to pay August's rent on the day we move (23rd of July). What would be the best way to do this? Put that we paid this second rent as the 1st of August and push the amount we need forward to August? Or should we just show that we're paying a gently caress ton on rent this month and then none next month?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

HonorableTB posted:

Why does my net worth get shown as decreasing further? Is it because I don't yet have a buffer and that's affecting it, despite the amount of debt decreasing as well? I automatically add money to my savings each pay period and then pay all expenses out of the floating amount left in my checking account. Can someone help explain this to me?

Good job those are some awesome improvements. I hope you're able to keep with it.

Are you just changing the starting balance on your debts, or are you adding transactions every time you pay (I only included what went twoards the principal)? Here's how we were doing the debt stuff when we were using YNAB, which gave us correct graphs:

Also if you pay off $1,400 in debt with $1,400 in assets, your current net worth will be the same. Takes a minute to feel the effect of that.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

HonorableTB posted:

This thread has been inactive for a while, but I hope someone will see this and give me some help:

I have a serious problem with my balances. My checking and savings accounts are totally accurate, as I log expenses and transfers whenever I make them. However, the category balances are seriously off. The balances look like I have $54.58 available, but this isn't true. My accounts are accurate, so how do I make my category balances reflect reality? I've done a few savings transfers over the past few months, but I've always logged them as transfers, so it shouldn't be a problem. Can someone help? I don't want to have to re-do five months worth of work and start over from scratch.

drat man cut that Snus poo poo out - you've already spent more on that than your emergency fund. I'm an ex-smoker and I know it's hard, but it's so worth it.

Not sure if gariig's answer was the answer you needed but here's my take on your question:
YNAB treats accounts equally. The balance (top right of your picture) matches up with your account balances.

If you take your savings account balance: $303.90, and subtract your "Savings Goals" total balance: $263.26 you get $40.64. Add your checking account balance to that. You'll get $54.48.

To reconcile you need to transfer $40.64 into your checking from your savings, and keep your savings account balance equal to your "Savings Goals" + "Rainy Day Funds" total category balances.

Hope that makes sense.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

HonorableTB posted:

Also to people saying to stop using snus, please knock it off. Everyone has a vice and mine is tobacco. I can afford it, and I am not going to waste time justifying it. Some people waste money on music or or movies or whatever, I waste a small portion on tobacco.

"I'm literally the worst with money" but hey "I can afford it". You sound just like I did before I quit. I'm not going to keep bugging you because I don't really care, but that poo poo is loving stupid even if you don't want to admit it. You've spent almost 10% of ALL OF YOUR SAVED MONEY on drugs. You should notate it "Got the good stuff."

I won't say anymore.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Apparently they're talking about keeping it cheap - perhaps $3 a month or so. Like the same price if you upgraded for $60 every 18-24 months like normal (although many bought it on Steam sale, me included). Who knows it could be a real improvement though, and they might add lots of new features with ongoing revenue and make it more accessible in the process.

But I'll probably just keep YNAB 4. It works well enough and I don't see a reason to need anything else.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

porksmash posted:

YNAB 4 may exist forever, but I rely heavily on the mobile app. I'm afraid it's going to be updated for YNAB 5 and break the the sync functionality with YNAB 4. Never updating the mobile app is not a good answer either.

If this were the case then a 3rd party app for YNAB 4 compatibility could be made. YNAB data is just (a hell of a lot of) nested JSON at the moment. See Divvy for Windows Phone for proof of concept. Divvy sucks, but I guarantee a team could get together and do it right for Android and iPhone if necessary.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

TraderStav posted:

Looks like there's a free and a paid version, but the site sucks and I can't seem to find what the features of the paid version are.

Automatically imports transactions from bank account as they post. $99/yr it looks like.

e: http://help.everydollar.com/help/article/link/what-is-fastrack

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

baby puzzle posted:

Once again, I am more than a month behind on entering transactions. I am thinking about entering items as I spend, but what do you do when you miss something? What do I do with my bills that pay automatically? I have no idea when this poo poo happens. My fear is that when I go to reconcile I will be way off because I will have missed a lot of stuff, and I will have no hope of finding the missing transactions.

I export a Quicken formatted file directly from my bank, and import it into YNAB. I don't have a device to enter transactions on the fly, so this works pretty well for me. It makes it a easy to reconcile too.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Combat Pretzel posted:

Toolkit for YNAB is a nice extension to add some poo poo to nYNAB. Notably the "Days of Buffering" metric, which calculates how much you can last on your money with your ongoing spending habits. Which makes kind of more sense tham AoM.

Here to second this. The amount of options and improvements is staggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
You can add YNAB Toolkit reports from the repository if you build it yourself (download the repo as zip from github, run build.bat with Python installed and in Path, import the built extension into Chrome/Safari/Firefox).

Here's an example:

Obviously if you imported your YNAB 4 data you'd have a better graph.

What's weird is I am keeping track of my YNAB4 just for the reporting currently, and it's off compared to this one. Anyone else mind reporting back if your graphs and reported net worth are the same as YNAB 4 if you imported data?

Edit: Nevermind, they're the same. I had an extra asset listed in YNAB 4 that I didn't bother with on nYNAB.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 10, 2016