Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

THE RED MENACE posted:

YNAB is $15 on steam for the next 20 hours!

loving awesome. I used the demo last spring and really liked it, but never got around to shelling out the 60 bucks to get it. I'm pretty frugal, so 60 bucks is a lot to me, but it probably would have payed for itself by now if I would have just bought it.

I love the phone app which allows me to update my budget as soon as I make a purchase.

Gothmog1065 posted:

Time to make a steam account!

Doing the same thing right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Ugh, one week in and my car dies and fucks my budget to the moon. At least now I can use YNAB to budget responsibly for a new car.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
I'm wondering how you guys handle getting change back when paying with cash. I hate carrying coins around with me, so if I pay for anything with cash and get some coins back, I usually just dump them in a jar at home and forget about it until the jar is too full to deal with, and then deposit it at the bank.

Should I just create a seperate account titled something like "coins" and when I get change, leave the full dollar amounts in my "cash" account, and put the coins in the "coins" account? I worry I'm going to end up thinking I have more cash on hand than I really do, because I don't carry around a big jar of pennies to the store with me.

Or am I just being really loving pedantic about this? I already have a separate account for "quarters" for when I need to do laundry.

Also, I'll be interested in seeing my reports at the end of this month, as it will be the first month that accurately portrays my monthly income. January is when I bought YNAB, and it was a 3 paycheck month, so my income for that month looked huge, and February I got my tax return.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
One thing that I like to do that just simplifies things for me (and some of you may cringe at this) is I basically put all of my discretionary money in one big category and call it a day. I don't break it down into things like game, drinking, eating out, spending money, etc. I've tried breaking up the categories before, but I find I always end up going over in one or two of the categories, but the others will barely be touched. Then the next month other ones will go over.

I like being able to go out to dinner with friends and being able to order dinner instead of thinking "I already ate out a few times this month and my eating out budget is shot, so I guess I'll have to get drunk instead because I still have money in that category!" Not that that's what I would actually do, but you get the point.

Also, I just got my electric bill for last month, and it was almost half of what I budgeted for. I always forget how cheap electric is here until I stop running the heat.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Yeah. I guess I was only putting 20-30 bucks a month into each one of those sub categories. It's not all that hard for me to track where money goes if I lump them all together and only put $100 a month into a large discretionary category.

I really don't go out all that often and live fairly frugally, so maybe that's why it works better for me.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Maybe this is something I should just keep on a note off of YNAB, but I'm managing our work softball team this year, and fronted the money for the whole team for registration (they would only accept one check per team). It was $450, $30 a person. Is there some kind of easy way to put this into YNAB, or should I just keep it written on a piece of paper somewhere and make a mental note that my actual checking account balance is going to be $420 (subtracting the $30 for my registration) than what YNAB is saying it is until I collect all the money?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
What's the best way to handle cash back rewards on a credit card? Just as income? Or do you just make a reconciliation transaction?

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Once you get to rule four and start living on last months income, budgeting becomes so much easier.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
When I had the trial version, I thought having the mobile app was loving awesome and used it basically every time I bought anything, and was one of the major selling points with me. Now that I have bought the program, however, I almost never use the mobile app to log anything and just enter my purchases later that day.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Sockser posted:

How did I not know abut the GPS thing this is rad as heck

This sounds cool. Unfortunately my phone is over three years old and opening apps is a pretty slow process. That's probably why I never use the YNAB app on my phone. I should probably upgrade soon. I have a section in my budget devoted to phone upgrade and there's over $300 in it. I'm just lazy I guess.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
It's been a while since I used YNAB, but I'm realizing I need to get back to it. I last used it to get from the being in the red to in the black, but I need to need to be more strict about following a budget, because my savings could definitely be growing faster than they have been.

I set up a lot of my budget this morning (I'm sure there are some categories I'm forgetting that I will need to add in the coming days/weeks/months) and I forget, with setting up scheduled payments do I need to set up the payment in both the "to" account and the "from" account?

I'm trying to set up a scheduled payment that happens every month for my student loans. I had it set up in my checking account, and I thought I remembered scheduled activity automatically getting duplicated in the account which receives the month, in this case my student loan account. It didn't show up, so I made another scheduled activity under the student loan account. I know I can just wait and see, and fix it then, but I'd rather get everything squared away now best I can so I don't lose motivation like I have the other few times I've tried to restart using YNAB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Yeah, I hadn't even heard about nYNAB until I read that post. I went and read about it, and I'm not paying a monthly subscription. It doesn't look like the upgrade is really worth it at all.