Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Triskelli posted:

I know talking about :goonrush: isn't kosher, but has there ever been a concerted effort to troll the site? I'd love to see examples of confusion turning to indignant rage. :allears:

Standard "don't touch the poop" disclaimer applies. Plus freep is heavily moderated, and new posters have their posts probated/screened. Just let them wallow in their own crapulence and content yourself on the succulent tear drippings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Duke Igthorn posted:

I know the first person I blame when I see a swastika is a Jew!

In Freepland the Jews are good ONLY because Hitler killed them. They CAN'T be racist because they LIKE Jews! Just like how they CAN'T be racist because they don't say the n-word!

No, they're good because they're the bait for the Jesustrap--they have to build a temple or some such and then get horribly attacked to open the blood gates summon Jesus back from heaven to start the Rapture. Just read the future historical account Left Behind!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Harry Potter? Please, that kid didn't even die before he became the hero.

Not even true...he died in the first one before he resurrected to rule the world become governor of Florida. Its a classic Jesus allegory.

...wait, Voldemort was the hero, right?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

It was also heavily echoed by freep after the 2012 results--even by the few female posters. Damned overemotional womenfolk getting seduced by the black man :argh:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

I'll given them this much credit: they more or less avoided spilling hate on the Obama children. Of course, that will probably wear off as they get into their later teen years and then they'll get Chelsea'd.

Edit: VVV "More or less" -- when you sling around that much hate, it tends to get on everything. They just managed to find a napkin in this case. They still passively hate on them, hate around them if you will, but they won't get the direct image attacks their parents clearly deserve with every wheezing oxygen-tank-aided breath stolen from the grave.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 7, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

They are, and if it's any help remember that they often gripe about how their families ignore/avoid them, particularly around the holidays.

That's a damned lie! They totally schooled those damned lieberal ungrateful relatives, and are completely glad they don't have to sully their home with the likes of them every year!

(oh god why don't they call...)

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Did any of them do the math on that memo? The time on it means that it was already past 10 or 11PM there--the initial attack was already well underway, and Stevens and VR were already beyond help at that point. So "They knew" was kind of a no-brainer, and "let them die" was mostly due to the inability to fly around the world really fast and travel to the past.

Or, perhaps, they are saying we should build large underground Vaults and have everyone retreat to them on Sept 11 every year, in fear of the dreaded muslim hordes. Like Xmas in Futurama.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

"Hello, Vegan Rand Police? I'd like to report a...a Taker."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Elephant Ambush posted:

There isn't any in there. I typed it up but now I'm worried that it's too detailed in terms of what was said. It's also kind of long. I'm also worried that it'll come across as one of those stdh.txt stories where everyone got up and clapped at the end, even though I intentionally tried to avoid doing that. It's not really self-congratulatory at all but I'm sure some dumb shitheel will come in here and accuse me of it so I'm not sure I want to post it. Maybe I'll sleep on it.

Well, now you've built it up. Probably didn't happen.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Please tell me you can find a quote from max americana dismissing the relevance of Stan Lee.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Plus that dip isn't really too statistically significant. There was probably some loss of enthusiasm but it wasn't some steep decline.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yep pretty much. Ironically, the Mass Supreme Court ruling probably set back gay rights by about 10+ years because of the backlash. There likely would have been popular votes for gay marriage at this point rather than court cases trying to overturn the reactionary gay marriage amendments we have now.

I wouldn't go that far. The reactionary right would/will never sit idly by and allow for a national pro-gay marriage bill. So you'd still have had to do the state-by-state process, and any serious ballot initiative would have just wound up poking the bear regardless.

10 years later, ~18 states have legal same-sex marriage, with more cases pending. Federal courts almost uniformly agree that its an equal protection issue, which means that even the reddest of red states are fair game. Its not an easy progression, but its a positive one.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

I'm rather shocked that we managed to get through Pee Discussions without a single "Gun Control" joke.

Its also great that they're clinging to the notion of drugged-up unemployed, when even their dream program of "test all the dirty poors" in florida could dredge up more than a low-single-digit hit rate (which wasn't enough ROI to even pay for the program).

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I don't watch football or any sport, but isn't football like, ≥50% black? Won't they need to bitch about almost every player?

Looking back at things, its really the black quarterbacks that especially rile up the RW racists (remember Rush's short lived football commentator gig?). There's nothing like a black guy in a position of quasi-authority to really rev their rascals.

Edit: ^^And I can't read those comments about Landry in anything but a Hank Hill voice.

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 20, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

computer parts posted:

You mean "America was drifting in that direction until they realized that black people were being helped".

Now lets be fair, the dirty poor of all colors were getting a leg up, and that couldn't be tolerated. If the low- and middle- income trends hadn't been brutally flatlined corrected starting in the 80s, they might actually not be living paycheck to paycheck and start thinking themselves as something other than the disposable human resources they are!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Iron Man 2 comes off at least a little bit libertarian/conservative with Tony Stark going into a government hearing and laying down sick burns on them and then walking out to applause from the crowd.

Plus the whole "Give us--The Government--your Rearden Steel power armor designs!" and his manly defiance of said unjust demands.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Radish posted:

Tony also had no ethical issues making weapons that killed a lot of people.

I get that its a comic, so its supposed to be "super powerful shell magically miniaturized" but really, "an artillery shell reduced to the size of a .50 bullet"....is really just a regular .50 caliber bullet.
The generals falling over themselves about it really just puts it over the top.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

tacodaemon posted:

Man, just when I thought I'd heard every bizarre rightwing meme about Benghazi by now.

Oh you missed that?
It stemmed from the pictures of the people carrying him to the hospital (where he later finally succumbed to smoke inhalation)--of course he doesn't look so good considering he was pulled from a smoldering building after the violent attack. Fox and Friends can't look at a picture of brown people carrying a white guy and not think "welp, he's gonna get it in the cornhole."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Man, I keep waiting for that guy to mention Columbia in that rant. You could seriously post a Comstock speech verbatim into Freep and no one would notice.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

So if Paul was the first freeper, of course he was pro-roman. "Blessed are the road builders, who enable thee to lie down and embrace the Lord."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Remember one of the hallowed rules of Freep: We hate everyone, except for those few "good ones." Until we hate them as well.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

"Teflon coated hollow points"

I thought the reason to "teflon coat" a bullet was to enhance its armor-piercing abilities by reducing friction as it passes through the barrier. A hollow point is designed to mushroom on impact with a firm surface, vastly increasing its surface area. I mean, I guess it couldn't hurt to do it, but it just screams "fancy killdozer buzzword to sound tough" to me.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nope, the only point of teflon coating is to reduce barrel wear with repeated firing. If I remember everyone flipped a poo poo and banned them and now cops are the only ones allowed to have them even though they do nothing special.

e:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teflon-coated_bullet

Well, learn something every day. I thought their benefit was actually negligible....and I was right, but for the wrong reasons. :v:

My core point, however, stands--fancy sounding buzzword to sound tough.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Smeep posted:

I don't understand a thing about that article or the thread.

Basically the space-spreadsheet simulator that is Eve saw a cataclysmic battle on monday that destroyed over $300,000 of pixel spaceships, which news feeds like to pick up on and point to. It happened to be done by the eve goons which VR was a big part of. The curious part is why a freeper would be trumpeting him if that freeper wasn't also a goon (touching the poop). The regdates make it all really weird though.

The rest of the thread is "I use to play X game" with a variety of 90s-era titles mentioned.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Warmachine posted:

Far, FAR more likely is that it is one of our terrible allies. It's called the Clusterfuck Coalition for a reason. Allies know about Vilerat because he was a big deal, and can use that to :argh: Benghazi :patriot: their way to Freep fame. Or something. Honestly surprised there's Freep posting about it.

You know...you're probably right. Gents or Fcon?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

DemeaninDemon posted:

Lemon grass colonic cleanse? The hell is that?

Sounds like something would be hard to spray over his screen. Unless he really can't tell his head from his rear end...

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Ironically, under that law the largest corporations (*which are people too!) should get negative votes, since most pay zero in taxes and still get subsidies.

Of course, if that blatant feudalism were to pass I'm sure they'd let slip a few million in tax revenue to buy a state/block seat of senators.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

ArchangeI posted:

There have been people on Freep who advocated gunfire to respond to popcorn being tossed at you.

Yep. "It's a common distraction technique while they pull out their gun with their other hand."

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Swan Oat posted:

Do y'all think freepers are aware of Rap Genius? Because ahahaha someone annotated nearly every line of that song! What could that pedophilia line possibly mean?

But there's another annotation!

So I think that's settled.

Its not terribly surprising that freepers aren't familiar with the concept of consent.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Mineaiki posted:

Sometimes I feel like Ted Nugent is just a regular Teabagger with no filter, and sometimes I think he really is crazier than the average Teabagger.

That sounds like a great idea for a new Reality/Game show: "Are you crazier than a Tea Partier?"

edit: :smithicide:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

How much chance does the overturn have of holding up? The Utah one lasted all of like 3 days.

Its not in effect now; the judge said it was pending the (inevitable) appeal. So in Texas gay marriage is still not really an option. But it's another hole in the wall.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Georgia Peach posted:

I bet you know all about those, you queer-loving libtard. :smug:

Can't let Texas have all the glory, can we?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

quote:

To: marshmallow

WHERE ARE THE SPIRITUAL LEADERS?

WHERE ARE THEY?

People who openly support sodomy MUST BE EXCOMMUNICATED by ANY Church that claims to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

4 posted on Thursday, February 27, 2014 9:17:08 AM by Westbrook (Children do not divide your love, they multiply it.)

I can't help but read that in Bale-Batman voice. And it is hilarious.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Clearly no one's told him about the Free State Project or that mountaintop militia village headlined by a gun factory that the three percenters were going to build.

No no, that was a walled city in Idaho.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/05/the-citadel-idaho_n_2624629.html

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

I've been awash from freeper tears from all the recent anti-gay legislation being struck down, and it's certainly therapeutic to laugh at their shrinking relevance. I can't help but think, though, with all the powder dry, molon labe poo poo that they circle-jerk about that eventually one of them is going to lose his poo poo and blow away a cop during a routine traffic stop :ohdear:

Its already happened once by a Freeper, and don't forget that stable individual who took Beck's advice to go shoot up the Tides Foundation who was stopped on the highway with an arsenal.

To say nothing of the explosion in "militia" groups that puts the Clinton era to shame (though without the Ruby Ridge-esque incidents). It's like the tides: Democratic president comes in, batshit paranoia goes out. You can't explain that.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

E-Tank posted:

Yeah, back before GBS turned to poo poo. We all wrote amazing stories based around what life would be like in a libertarian utopia. Where everybody is armed and if you aren't, well then you're a godless LIEberal and need to be fired. Out of a cannon. Into the sun. Where you work for pennies a day and are grateful for the chance to bootstraps up you and your family. Where gunfights over territory are a day to day thing and the dead lay dying in the streets. Where the wealthy can partake in every vice and sin, and they are lauded for being job creators. All these stories have been lost to time...Or archives, one of the two.

That thread was glorious. The best parts read like a combination of the Handmaid's Tale and the Hunger Games.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Is this in dispute? The objective was always "Take control of, and solidify our claim on land to the west". As far as claim to who controls the continent, it was a roaring success. Its not devils advocacy, its objectively true.

Pretty much. Really the sickening bit isn't that he considers it a success, but rather something that should be emulated.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

So it's mental illness. Ok

The guy advocated disease as divine punishment, I don't think mental illness was ever not a conclusion.

That said, the bio reads like some ancient protogoon who just fell right off the deep end when he got old and curmugeon-y. I can respect that--while staying a minimum safe distance away and making it a point never to make eye contact.

edit: oh, wait, it was another one who made the divine illness connection. Welp. This guy still gets special nutty points for the raging grandpa-shaking-his-cane routine about "this president was going to CHANGE THINGS. And Things were just fine how they were! Natural Order!" :argh:

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 17, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Logikv9 posted:

I have strong opinions about a particular subject, which means I am an expert at this particular subject - all freepers

Considering how many freepers subscribe to the "X ordinary citizens is better than 1 expert" idea, that shouldn't come as a shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Also worth noting: the USSR wouldn't be invading the Ukraine because it was already part of the USSR. Seriously, it was half of Eurasia. As noted, Afghanistan is a much better comparison, and even they didn't hesitate out of fear from the US, because back then it was just a giant factionalized backwater poppy field that no one cared about.

• Locked thread