Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shooz
Oct 10, 2006
there's no life like no life
Made it to 70 last year, but put me up for 52 again. Not sure if I'll have as much time to read this year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shooz
Oct 10, 2006
there's no life like no life
January:

1) The Hanging Garden by Patrick White
This was confusing as first, as it's unedited and jumps quite randomly from first person to third person, and even to second person POV. White makes the emotions and the atmosphere very tangible though. Unfortunately, the book is unfinished and so I will never know how it ends.

2) The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton
I really enjoyed this one. The setting was interesting, and new to me (19th century New Zealand), it had a large array of well-written characters, and the plot, something like a mystery or detective story, had me hooked. My only complaint is that the ending was a bit of a let down.

3) Dombey and Son by Charles Dickens
Good, though not my favourite by Dickens.

4) The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
Although I read this only a week ago, I've already forgotten most of it.

5) Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
Better than I anticipated, though I was expecting something a little less depressing.

6) The Telling Room: A Tale of Love, Betrayal, Revenge, and the World's Greatest Piece of Cheese by Michael Paterniti
Disappointing. I was expecting fiction, but the book is in fact non-fiction. But that's not why I was disappointed. I was expecting a story about a cheese maker in rural Spain. Sure, the book is about that. However, 50 percent of it is about Paterniti's kids, his wife and how hard it is to write and oh god what does he even want to write. Another 30% is spanish history. It also slightly suffers from I-want-to-impress-the-readeritis. Symptoms include long descriptions, metaphors that do nothing, "novel insights" and rhetorical questions about life etc.

On track with 6/52

• Locked thread