Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

McSpanky posted:

The X-men Origins: Wolverine game was a pretty good third-person melee action game, in addition to being a better version of its story than the movie it was based on (like that was hard). The game dialed Logan's regeneration factor up to "just shy of Organic T-1000" for some outrageous you-vs-this-army action, had these hilarious slow-mo camera zooms whenever you (frequently and gorily) decapitated/disarmed an opponent, and the bombastic Sentinel level should scratch that itch nicely until DoFP comes out. And compared to the movie's versions of things, the boss fights are sublime.

I played this game several years ago and it was surprisingly solid. I just checked and I never beat it - maybe it's time to go back and play through it again!

Jace Madan posted:

If you haven't already, you NEED to play "The Punisher". It's Xbox 360 compatible and still looks and plays great today. The gameplay is great, and the storyline is absolutely perfect.

Oh man, I had completely forgotten about this game too. It is incredible and I loved every single minute of it. The only game I've been more satisfied with a shotgun was pre-patch Payday 2 and the Mosconi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, despite losing the license of Spider-Man, Activision will still be pushing out ASM 2 according to Dan Amrich, Activision's Community Manager. Beenox even retweeted him on Twitter when someone asked if it was still releasing.

I guess that'll be the last Spider-Man game from Activision and Beenox. It'll probably be hard to find once it's sold out so I'd say, if you liked ASM, buy ASM 2. Same goes for Marvel vs Capcom Origins, Deadpool, M:UA 1, M:UA 2, and all Spider-Man games made by Activision.

Activision and Capcom were not allowed to renew their contracts so...yeah.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently, despite losing the license of Spider-Man, Activision will still be pushing out ASM 2 according to Dan Amrich, Activision's Community Manager. Beenox even retweeted him on Twitter when someone asked if it was still releasing.

I guess that'll be the last Spider-Man game from Activision and Beenox. It'll probably be hard to find once it's sold out so I'd say, if you liked ASM, buy ASM 2. Same goes for Marvel vs Capcom Origins, Deadpool, M:UA 1, M:UA 2, and all Spider-Man games made by Activision.

I played ASM and I enjoyed it up until about halfway through. That's when it got SUPER repetitive. Not to mention the absolutely insane number of collectibles...without trying, I collected about half of the comic books during my playthrough, and still had hundreds to collect afterward. Nah. Even on Hard, it was a pretty easy game, especially once you upgrade your abilities.

Will I play the second one? Yes :unsmith: But this time I'll just be renting it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's a shame, I enjoyed Beenox titles. Capcom getting the boot is kind of baffling since MVC3 was a license to print money :psyduck:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That's a shame, I enjoyed Beenox titles. Capcom getting the boot is kind of baffling since MVC3 was a license to print money :psyduck:

Doubly so considering Disney shut down LucasArts, and I'm pretty sure Disney Interactive is basically a shovelware factory. I mean, fair enough if they want to give, say, EA the license for the movie stuff, but why shut out Capcom when you're clearly not going to go in-house?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Doubly so considering Disney shut down LucasArts, and I'm pretty sure Disney Interactive is basically a shovelware factory. I mean, fair enough if they want to give, say, EA the license for the movie stuff, but why shut out Capcom when you're clearly not going to go in-house?

Apparently Disney themselves isn't even making games anymore. So, as of Jan 1, 2014, all of the Marvel game licenses are up for grabs. This includes Spider-Man and the X-Men.

Hopefully a publisher with the grace of Rocksteady or something will pick them up. It's about time we got a Spider-Man game along the lines of Arkham Asylum, City, or hell, even Origins. However, it could be Marvel forcing Activision to push out games every 1 to 2 years. Who knows at this point.

At least Beenox tried.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
That sucks. I really hope they patch things up with Capcom. With the way things are set up, Marvel vs. Capcom 4 could have had Darth Vader and Scrooge McDuck.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Spider-Man deserves better than Activison and Beenox, honestly. The fact that Spider-Man 2 even happened and was as good as it is is a small miracle. Also I'm not sure MvC 3 sold as well as you think it did. UMVC 3 certainly didn't.

Licensed games are in a hellish place right now, and Disney are getting out of internal development, so maybe they'll just offload everything to EA like they did with Star Wars.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LightWarden posted:

That sucks. I really hope they patch things up with Capcom. With the way things are set up, Marvel vs. Capcom 4 could have had Darth Vader and Scrooge McDuck.

Since Marvel/Disney didn't allow either Capcom or Activision to renew contracts, I doubt that there will be any patching up.

This is why MU:A 2's DLC disappeared, actually. The license for the DLC expired and Activision simply didn't want to pay anymore. Kalina (one of the Vicarious Visions devs who posted on HeroHQ) fought REALLY loving hard to get the DLC to come back for 6 months. Seriously, she almost got a Gold Edition of M:UA 2 for PS3/360 but Marvel said no. Marvel allowed the DLC back for 6 months and that was that.

That time was only the digital license...this time it's the whole thing.

What's funny/sad is that, even back then, Activision said absolutely nothing about it being temporary DLC despite knowing the entire time that it would be. When the DLC was first removed, it even caught Vicarious Visions off guard. History repeated itself as Activision, once again, knew this would happen but said nothing to their customers.

Capcom, however, apparently did warn people but didn't give enough time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Spider-Man deserves better than Activison and Beenox, honestly. The fact that Spider-Man 2 even happened and was as good as it is is a small miracle. Also I'm not sure MvC 3 sold as well as you think it did. UMVC 3 certainly didn't.

Licensed games are in a hellish place right now, and Disney are getting out of internal development, so maybe they'll just offload everything to EA like they did with Star Wars.

Bioware's The Avengers!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm kind of glad Beenox isn't going to be making any more Spider-Man games because their output was middling at best.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

Bioware's The Avengers!

*right hook Norman Osborne*

I'd actually love a long rear end RPG based in the marvel universe. Being a new SHIELD agent would be an interesting starting point.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

twistedmentat posted:

*right hook Norman Osborne*

I'd actually love a long rear end RPG based in the marvel universe. Being a new SHIELD agent would be an interesting starting point.
Only if I can romance every superhero in the game.

e; but that does sound pretty rad if done competently.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 8, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

I'm kind of glad Beenox isn't going to be making any more Spider-Man games because their output was middling at best.

Yeah, and I'm not even blaming them, necessarily, because they probably did the best they could on a yearly schedule. But I don't think any of their games are worth poo poo.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Not that I'm representative of fighting game fans, because I've really fallen out of love with teh genre as I've gotten older and slower and games have gotten faster and more complex, but I hate MvC. Half the time I was playing it, I had no idea what the gently caress was going on. My friends and I also hardly ever touched the Capcom side except for the Lego chick, dog and Pheonix Wright.

So maybe we'll get a large cast Marvel fighting game without the Capcom baggage?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The problem is, there's no one to really give the licenses to that could do a REALLY good job like most fans are wanting. EA? Maybe. But they'd start loving around with insane DRM on the PC and DLC out the rear end for more money. Warner Bros. Interactive? That'd be weird but at least maybe Rocksteady could have a shot (they published LEGO Marvel Super Heroes so it's not that huge of a stretch). A LEGO Spider-Man game would be kind of fun so maybe give it to TT Games Publishing (who develops all LEGO games worldwide).

They could also just give it to Playdom (who did Avengers Alliance) and just do Facebook, Android, and iOS games which is probably cheaper than full on console and computer games.

Honestly, it's a bit worrying. While Beenox wasn't the BEST, they certainly tried anyway. Activision's probably pissed because they just lost one of their cash cows. The Spider-Man games seriously got them a LOT of money...even if comic book fans thought they were bad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It didn't help that they put out multiple Spider-Man games where you were stuck in small levels. Spider-Man needs a lot of room to move around, otherwise he's just another brawler.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Hakkesshu posted:

Also I'm not sure MvC 3 sold as well as you think it did. UMVC 3 certainly didn't.

The thing about MVC is that it's evergreen. The professional tournament circuit isn't going anywhere and they've already proven that they'll keep playing until something new comes along. MVC2 had a tournament life of over a decade because nothing came along to replace it.

I would be surprised if Capcom was in a position to leap right into making an MVC4 right now given recent events (the Fukushima disaster really cost them a lot, RE6 cost a bundle and then underperformed, etc.), but I feel fairly confident in guaranteeing there's going to be one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It didn't help that they put out multiple Spider-Man games where you were stuck in small levels. Spider-Man needs a lot of room to move around, otherwise he's just another brawler.

The issue there is that's what most fans wanted. :v: A lot of people on Hero HQ's forums clamored for more indoor levels and Beenox listened.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kainser posted:

I imagine a Alpha Protocal with Super heroes.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I imagine a Alpha Protocal with Super heroes.

Steven Heck would fit right in.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I wanted to like ASM because of its story and just swinging around the city, but I couldn't deal with the combat. It works in the Arkham games because the controls worked hand-in-hand with the level design and was consistent in and out of combat. ASM tried to map every action to one button so there's parts where the prompts go nuts.

I'm still hopeful that there'll be another fun Spidey game.

Action Tortoise fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 8, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

The issue there is that's what most fans wanted. :v: A lot of people on Hero HQ's forums clamored for more indoor levels and Beenox listened.

That's just stupid because half the fun of a Spider-Man game is webslinging through NYC. PROPER webslinging mind you, none of this web attaches onto nothing off the edge of the screen bullshit.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

That's just stupid because half the fun of a Spider-Man game is webslinging through NYC. PROPER webslinging mind you, none of this web attaches onto nothing off the edge of the screen bullshit.

The biggest things people wanted were indoor levels, SM2 swinging (JUST like SM2, absolutely no changes), playing as Peter Parker as working for the Bugle, going on dates with MJ and no Spider-Man stuff, and more Venom/Symbiote Suit.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Soonmot posted:

Steven Heck would fit right in.

Just change his name to Weasel and you could probably keep all his dialogue the same.

I bet the biggest thing we get out of this is a fuckload of X-Men and Avengers in Disney Infinity.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

ThermoPhysical posted:

The problem is, there's no one to really give the licenses to that could do a REALLY good job like most fans are wanting. EA? Maybe.

Yeah... We already had an EA Marvel fighting game. It didn't take.

A surfing dog?!
Apr 23, 2006

Kainser posted:

Give Wolverine 15 cigars and he'll kiss you on the lips.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ThermoPhysical posted:

The biggest things people wanted were indoor levels, SM2 swinging (JUST like SM2, absolutely no changes), playing as Peter Parker as working for the Bugle, going on dates with MJ and no Spider-Man stuff, and more Venom/Symbiote Suit.

A Spider-man or Superman game where you had to switch between hero and secret identity roles could be a cool concept. You'd have to follow a schedule to make it seem like you're living a normal life but there's a list of things you have to do in a given day like stop bank robberies or fight off a rogue and then get the pics or story over to the newspaper while still remembering to show up for the night's date.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bully (or Persona) but with superheroing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Gavok posted:

Yeah... We already had an EA Marvel fighting game. It didn't take.

Oh yeah...what's sad is that I have it staring right at me. :v: ...I kind of liked it. Only kind of.

Action Tortoise posted:

A Spider-man or Superman game where you had to switch between hero and secret identity roles could be a cool concept. You'd have to follow a schedule to make it seem like you're living a normal life but there's a list of things you have to do in a given day like stop bank robberies or fight off a rogue and then get the pics or story over to the newspaper while still remembering to show up for the night's date.

That'd actually be pretty neat, show the player exactly how it feels to be as busy as Peter is and have to make choices like Mass Effect or something just to save the day. They wouldn't need any type of "OH GOD, THE WORLD IS ENDING, WHERE IS SPIDER-MAN?!" plots like almost every single Spider-Man game has now.

That's another thing that bothered me with the recent Spider-Man games. They ALWAYS had some huge huge thing going down that, usually, Spider-Man would go get help with. They'd either completely ignore that he COULD get help or just do it weirdly (like Luke Cage training Spider-Man on how to use his own powers....what...)

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh yeah...what's sad is that I have it staring right at me. :v: ...I kind of liked it. Only kind of.

That'd actually be pretty neat, show the player exactly how it feels to be as busy as Peter is and have to make choices like Mass Effect or something just to save the day. They wouldn't need any type of "OH GOD, THE WORLD IS ENDING, WHERE IS SPIDER-MAN?!" plots like almost every single Spider-Man game has now.

That's another thing that bothered me with the recent Spider-Man games. They ALWAYS had some huge huge thing going down that, usually, Spider-Man would go get help with. They'd either completely ignore that he COULD get help or just do it weirdly (like Luke Cage training Spider-Man on how to use his own powers....what...)

"With great power comes great responsibility"
   - Power Man

I always thought one of the best Superman stories that wasn't about Superman is Astro City # 1. Do that as a game where it's all not world-ending crises but people in burning buildings or car chases with bandits and punctuate it every now and then with notable enemies like Shocker or Lizard to make their inclusion more meaningful instead of exhausting everyone with villain overload. ASM kinda had the right idea with their bank robbers and Peter using his camera at certain points.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

"With great power comes great responsibility"
   - Power Man

I always thought one of the best Superman stories that wasn't about Superman is Astro City # 1. Do that as a game where it's all not world-ending crises but people in burning buildings or car chases with bandits and punctuate it every now and then with notable enemies like Shocker or Lizard to make their inclusion more meaningful instead of exhausting everyone with villain overload. ASM kinda had the right idea with their bank robbers and Peter using his camera at certain points.

See, that would be pretty cool. Mostly mundane stuff until a few enemies show up and there you go. The problem is, most Spidey devs just try to have a HUGE roster of villains and it gets annoying because they try to appease everyone.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Oh God imagine they made it like GTA where you have to take MJ/Gwen/Whoever on a date, but then you'll get distracted by a mission, have to swing off and take care of it within a time limit before your date gives up on you.

It would be both the best game ever and the worst game ever.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If there's anything that videogamers love, it's strict schedules, time limits, and relationship management.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

If there's anything that videogamers love, it's strict schedules, time limits, and relationship management.

Hey, it's kept the Persona franchise going.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lobok posted:

Hey, maybe there can be a mission where people are trying to kill Gwen and you have to protect her, that's always fun!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lobok posted:

If it ever came out, it'd probably be a nightmare of a game. I just think that superhero games should try to look at the other aspect of the character's life instead of being in costume 100% of the time.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
I have two questions. If I liked the Spider-Man game about the four Spider-Men would I like the one that's about 616 and 2099?

And why is there so much love for Mysterio in Spider-Man video games? Mysterio is only good in those really early issues of Amazing.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

I have two questions. If I liked the Spider-Man game about the four Spider-Men would I like the one that's about 616 and 2099?

Only if you really liked the 2099 and 616 parts of Shattered Dimensions. Edge of Time is a totally inferior game in every way, but it's not awful or anything. One of the big issues when comparing the two games though is that there isn't enough variety between the two Spider-Men. Other than a handful of freefalls they're both just brawlers

As for mysterio he's just a good visual villain, between his costume and powers. It's tough to find enough for him to do in the books but he works well in a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Only if you really liked the 2099 and 616 parts of Shattered Dimensions. Edge of Time is a totally inferior game in every way, but it's not awful or anything.

The graphics of Edge of Time looked a bit better than SD at least. :colbert:

Also, you could play as Peter Parker.

• Locked thread