Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kellsterik posted:

No invincibility+unlimited webbing? Pass.

They'll probably save one of those for Symbiote Spider-Man and Iron Spider. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ThermoPhysical posted:

They'll probably save one of those for Symbiote Spider-Man and Iron Spider. :v:

It'd be really cool if Iron Spider had finishing moves involving those robo-arms and if Symbiote Spider-Man had all of his dialogue replaced with more sarcastic/mean-spirited exchanges.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

It'd be really cool if Iron Spider had finishing moves involving those robo-arms and if Symbiote Spider-Man had all of his dialogue replaced with more sarcastic/mean-spirited exchanges.

I don't think Beenox would go that far. They've probably only had about 2 years (if that...) to finish the game.

I don't know if I'd call it "another mediocre Spider-Man game" either since, knowing how Beenox did do their best on Shattered Dimensions and actually listened to fans putting a playable Peter Parker in the story and not just as a costume, we'll see how their last Spider-Man game pans out.

It might just move from "medicore Spider-Man game" to "this is better than Spider-Man 2 on PS2/Xbox/GC at least" status. That's only if they make it so crimes DON'T just stop once you're done with the story...and if they set it so there's more than just four extra costumes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The swinging will still be garbage, so there's no way it'll beat SM2

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

The swinging will still be garbage, so there's no way it'll beat SM2

They're saying dual-handed swinging using both triggers this time so we'll see how it is.

HeroHQ is pretty much dead it looks like. Activision's replaced the forum with their Activision Community thing. With it gone (and the site not being remade for ASM 2 like it was for ASM 1), I don't think Beenox will answer any questions except on their Facebook.

The dual-handed swinging thing is something they've stated a lot so I think they get that ASM's swinging was awful...again, we'll just have to see.

The gameplay trailer should be coming probably next week or maybe the first week of April since they're pretty busy with the suits once a week. We have 2 more suits left and two more weeks left. They seem to be talking about them once a week so...

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

They're saying dual-handed swinging using both triggers this time so we'll see how it is.

HeroHQ is pretty much dead it looks like. Activision's replaced the forum with their Activision Community thing. With it gone (and the site not being remade for ASM 2 like it was for ASM 1), I don't think Beenox will answer any questions except on their Facebook.

The dual-handed swinging thing is something they've stated a lot so I think they get that ASM's swinging was awful...again, we'll just have to see.

The gameplay trailer should be coming probably next week or maybe the first week of April since they're pretty busy with the suits once a week. We have 2 more suits left and two more weeks left. They seem to be talking about them once a week so...

I'll believe it when I see it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

God I hate the fascination with suits in Spider-Man games. The developer just gets to slap on a coat of paint and fiddle with some stats to get cred and excitement. If they said there was only going to be the red-and-blues and they were using their energy to perfect that then I'd be happy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lobok posted:

God I hate the fascination with suits in Spider-Man games. The developer just gets to slap on a coat of paint and fiddle with some stats to get cred and excitement. If they said there was only going to be the red-and-blues and they were using their energy to perfect that then I'd be happy.

But but your ionic web will react more rapidly!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lobok posted:

On the other hand every time they don't include them people begin to complain. It's a no-win situation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Just do what the Batman games do, include a billion suits, but they're all cosmetic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really don't see any downside to awesome alternate skins that confer minor in-game advantages. It ain't like it's taking away super-valuable dev time from the level layout or game physics, and it rules.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'm don't mind it, except that it keeps being the same few suits trotted out for incentive. Captain Universe seems to be a go-to, especially.

Like the only DLC for Shattered Dimensions being EVERYONE IS CAPTAIN UNIVERSE

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Byzantine posted:

I'm don't mind it, except that it keeps being the same few suits trotted out for incentive. Captain Universe seems to be a go-to, especially.

Like the only DLC for Shattered Dimensions being EVERYONE IS CAPTAIN UNIVERSE

Apparently, the newest Captain Universe says that Universe 616 is broken and the "White Event" is coming.

...I'm guessing the rumored merge of Ultimate Marvel with 616 oe maybe another Phoenix event.

Maybe it's Marvel's idea all along to use Captain Universe so much. :v:

EDIT:

The Amazing Spider-Man Facebook posted:

Ian Griffen Please show us some gameplay of the open world
Like · Reply · 8 · Yesterday at 12:41pm

The Amazing Spider-Man Game Gameplay is coming. Stay tuned!
Like · 13 · Yesterday at 12:48pm

Khalid Brooks You mean SOON???? Or SOON SOON? I hope Soon means this week guys.
Unlike · 5 · Yesterday at 1:25pm · Edited

Deepjoy Roy Will the game be available for download in play station store ?
Like · Yesterday at 7:24pm

The Amazing Spider-Man Game Khalid Brooks - We can't confirm any dates at this time. Hang in there, eager webslinger. Deepjoy Roy - Possibly, but right now we're focused on the physical release.
Like · 1 · 9 hours ago

Khalid Brooks I appreciate the response but I think I speak on all the fans behalves when I say we have waited ALONG time and we are getting anxious because we really want to see the improvements this game makes over the first one. Webswinging is my MAIN concern so please please release it soon. Thank you
Unlike · 1 · 8 hours ago · Edited

If Beenox is trying to emulate WB Montreal since they tried to emulate Arkham City before, we might not see the gameplay trailer until AFTER April 29th. :v: Good job, Beenox. Keep people from seeing trailers for a game that should be done by now considering it has almost a month left to go before launch.

Ah well.

Activision will bring a flood of information in April anyway as per their usual "dry spells" for their Marvel games. Maybe they'll put it out then.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 13, 2014

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Apparently, the newest Captain Universe says that Universe 616 is broken and the "White Event" is coming.

It already happend a few months ago.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Opopanax posted:

It already happend a few months ago.

Oh. I haven't caught up with comics in a while. What exactly happened?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not much yet but it was a cool reveal. Go read Hickman's Avengers stuff and Infinity

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

A new guy got superpowers. Like, capital S Superpowers 'cause they're real strong. His name's Starbrand and his powers are the universe turning him into a "planetary defense system" to protect Earth. That's the short version, if you wanna know more, do what Opopanax said.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The white event itself is just supposed to be the powering up thing.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TwoPair posted:

A new guy got superpowers. Like, capital S Superpowers 'cause they're real strong. His name's Starbrand and his powers are the universe turning him into a "planetary defense system" to protect Earth. That's the short version, if you wanna know more, do what Opopanax said.

So there's ANOTHER cosmic Earth defender? Jesus.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's just the newest Star Brand.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it's Hickman rolling the New Universe line stuff into the main MU.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp5XAzamk1o

As far as I know, IC is kind of lovely but is a neat trailer .

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 14, 2014

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
That's a good summary. I'm hoping the comic does something with a few of the worlds/characters they're creating though, the little snippets of backstory are rather clever on a couple.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Is that Dick Grayson getting murdered by doomsday there?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Beenox just posted on Facebook that they'll be at Game Developer Conference next week.

Beenox posted:

Next week, members of our team are attending GDC in San Francisco. Thomas Wilson, our co-studio head will also be presenting The Amazing Spider-Man 2 game to several media outlets. It should be a busy week!

Looks like there should finally be that gameplay video they mentioned on their Twitter a few weeks ago.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Goddamn you are excited for this game

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Goddamn you are excited for this game

Yeah...kind of.

Spider-Man is the first hero I ever experienced from Marvel. I have all of the SNES games Spider-Man is in their original carts and have beaten them all. I've beaten all of the recent Spider-Man games. I've played all GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance, Sega Genesis, etc Spider-Man games. Spider-Man is still my favorite character in the Capcom fighting games, and I spent most of my time on HeroHQ following every bit of Spider-Man game news that I noticed Activision's patterns in marketing.

I'm kind of addicted to Spider-Man games. :v:

It's kind of sad.

Only one that rivals it is Batman.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Don't mean to double-post, but there's new info on ASM 2.

Amazing Spider-Man Game on Facebook posted:

Spider-Man’s black costume harbored a deadly secret: it was an alien symbiote that later became Venom!
In-game abilities include:
• DAMAGE: Base attacks cause more damage
• BONUS TECH: Tech pieces have higher value than normal
• DURABILITY: Any damage towards SM is reduced

This leaves the Iron Spider suit left. They probably won't do unlimited webbing as they're not doing web refills anymore since they didn't want people to complain that they ran out of webbing while trying to swing around the city.

Beenox's Facebook confirms that they'll be doing interviews at GDC today so there'll probably be new information later.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spider-Man should never have limited webbing. It's his trademark. Maybe a cooldown period for the better attacks or a short reload of webbing in general but that's it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, "limited webbing" is not really fun in a game context. Nobody wants to go Parker Luck and be stuck walking around or limited to using only the boring attacks or whatever.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lobok posted:

Spider-Man should never have limited webbing. It's his trademark. Maybe a cooldown period for the better attacks or a short reload of webbing in general but that's it.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, "limited webbing" is not really fun in a game context. Nobody wants to go Parker Luck and be stuck walking around or limited to using only the boring attacks or whatever.

I agree, but some "hardcore" fans want it because they liked it in the old Spider-Man games. Beenox will probably do what they did in ASM 1 and just have a quick animation of him reloading his webbing when you land on the ground.

Hopefully it's a better animation this time around because before it's just him swiping his wrists to his sides and you hear a sound that's supposed to be him reloading...it's kind of odd.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Plus 'Oh no, out of web fluid!' was a staple of Spider-Situations when something needed to happen.

These thugs are getting away! Not so fast th- Oh no, out of web fluid!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

They even managed to have him run out of webbing and crash into some poo poo in the second Raimi film, which is impressive considering he had organic webbing.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I want Parker luck in a Spider-Man game. I want to pay my rent. I want friend missions like GTA IV where I can't do something because Aunt May called me to get her pills, but if I don't stop this car chase, JJ is going to write a bad article about me.

Cassa posted:

Is that Dick Grayson getting murdered by doomsday there?
It's Supes.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Lurdiak posted:

They even managed to have him run out of webbing and crash into some poo poo in the second Raimi film, which is impressive considering he had organic webbing.

That was the weirdest subplot in the film. I thought it was going somewhere with that and then nothing.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I want Parker luck in a Spider-Man game. I want to pay my rent. I want friend missions like GTA IV where I can't do something because Aunt May called me to get her pills, but if I don't stop this car chase, JJ is going to write a bad article about me.
It's Supes.

What if they used Gears of War's active reload system with Spider-Man's webbing? If you miss the prompt, your shooters jam up and you can't do any web attacks for a while.

It's a terrible idea, but the closest thing to making a game out of Parker luck.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Action Tortoise posted:

That was the weirdest subplot in the film. I thought it was going somewhere with that and then nothing.

What if they used Gears of War's active reload system with Spider-Man's webbing? If you miss the prompt, your shooters jam up and you can't do any web attacks for a while.

It's a terrible idea, but the closest thing to making a game out of Parker luck.

It was part of him losing his powers which was a manifestation of his huge stress over his dual life and being kept from MJ. The second Raimi film mixed Spider-Man No More with thr classic power loss struggle with the typical running out of webbing moment.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

With the first day of spring and April starting in about 12 days, looks like the floodgates have opened on new ASM 2 stuff. Activision usually has a flood of information (spoilers and all) in the last month before their new Marvel games come so, yeah.

Beenox did an interview with GameInformer and here's what the site says:

GameInformer.com posted:

For the game based on the new film, the studio isn’t taking the systems that it’s established for granted. Instead, they’re revamping everything from the way Spidey gets around to what he does once he gets there.

In previous games, Spider-Man would effortlessly swing above the streets of Manhattan via an automated web system. It worked, but holding down a button and steering on a course didn’t really nail the fantasy of being the red and blue-suited hero. Now, webbing is tied to the left and right triggers. Hold left down, for instance, and you’ll swing forward for a bit before gaining altitude and listing to the left. To move forward in a controlled and speedy pace, you need to alternate between left and right web shots. It’s jarring at first, but I quickly got into the rhythm of things. It’s more satisfying to get around, since you’re timing when you alternate your webs, and when you release them to gain and maintain the maximum momentum. Spidey spends the majority of his time above the skyline, so anything that improves that aspect of his characterization is welcome.

Looks like the web swinging is back to SM2 with a bit of an update. I haven't played Spider-Man 2 in YEARS (might hook up my PS2 soon to play it again though) so I'm not 100% on how the swinging was in that in terms of dual-handed.

quote:

Players get to control Parker, which Beenox says is something that will be part of the overall experience. He’s there to propel the plot along; when it’s time to fight or save people, he’ll need to don his costume.

Spidey can do a variety of web and physical-based moves, including one where he positions himself between two opponents, webs them both in the face, leaps in the air and pulls the line taut – causing them to bonk their heads together.

...I see a stealth-based sequence. Beenox has designed these to be less linear than in past games, so players can choose their own paths as they remove each guard from play, one web cocoon at a time.

A new hero system has been implemented into the game now, which should keep players on their toes. Missions will pop up on the minimap as players progress through the campaign. They can be ignored, but at a cost. If you encounter a building engulfed in flames, for instance, Spider-Man can play the hero by using his spider senses to navigate through the smoke and carry out unconscious victims. His bravery will be recognized through a special segment on the Bugle Channel, featuring anchor Whitney Chang. It works the other way, too. Fail at a bomb-disposal mission, and J. Jonah Jameson will take to the airwaves, wondering why Spidey didn’t call the police instead of trying to figure it out himself.

As players gain more acclaim or notoriety, they’ll be treated differently. Civilians will clap when they see the heroic Spider-Man, but they’ll run at one that’s seen as a public menace. Oscorp will send out drones to attack Spider-Man, and he’ll even face penalties to damage and other stats.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_amazing_spider-man_2/b/xbox360/archive/2014/03/19/what-kind-of-a-spider-man-are-you.aspx

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 20, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ThermoPhysical posted:

With the first day of spring and April starting in about 12 days, looks like the floodgates have opened on new ASM 2 stuff. Activision usually has a flood of information (spoilers and all) in the last month before their new Marvel games come so, yeah.

Beenox did an interview with GameInformer and here's what the site says:

Looks like the web swinging is back to SM2 with a bit of an update. I haven't played Spider-Man 2 in YEARS (might hook up my PS2 soon to play it again though) so I'm not 100% on how the swinging was in that in terms of dual-handed.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_amazing_spider-man_2/b/xbox360/archive/2014/03/19/what-kind-of-a-spider-man-are-you.aspx

Sounds really cool, then again, I liked ASM v:v:v

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

IMO with that reputation system it doesn't appear as if those side quests will really be optional. From an absolute viewpoint, sure, but if you don't want to get poo poo on by everyone in the game, you kind of have to do them.

Excited about the return of SM2 web swinging, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
On the other hand, if you don't do them you get J.J.J. ranting angrily about Spider-man, and that's easily the best part of any Spider-man media.

• Locked thread