Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

McSpanky posted:

The X-men Origins: Wolverine game was a pretty good third-person melee action game, in addition to being a better version of its story than the movie it was based on (like that was hard). The game dialed Logan's regeneration factor up to "just shy of Organic T-1000" for some outrageous you-vs-this-army action, had these hilarious slow-mo camera zooms whenever you (frequently and gorily) decapitated/disarmed an opponent, and the bombastic Sentinel level should scratch that itch nicely until DoFP comes out. And compared to the movie's versions of things, the boss fights are sublime.

Goddamn gently caress that last Sentinel level in Wolverine Origins. Seriously, it was so bad, it's probably bugged as it's almost impossible to do the QTE for it and win. I know multiple people on Activision's old forums (where I was a regular) who almost broke their controllers trying to beat it because you have to press the buttons that loving hard for it to register.

Aces High posted:

is there a lot of information released about The Amazing Spider-Man 2? Considering that the story for the first game took place a month or so after the movie and Manhattan Island is a disaster zone after the end of the game I am very curious if this game will just ignore the previous one or actually continue on from the universe they built.

Right now, there's no new info that I've come across. It's pretty much a dry wasteland until probably March. That's how Activision does their games mostly. Release a "teaser trailer" and then absolutely nothing for months until another trailer and maybe a magazine nod.

Expect a HUGE explosion of information (containing pretty much every spoiler from the movie and game you'd ever want...including the end boss of the game in one of the trailers) around April and leading into May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Apparently, despite losing the license of Spider-Man, Activision will still be pushing out ASM 2 according to Dan Amrich, Activision's Community Manager. Beenox even retweeted him on Twitter when someone asked if it was still releasing.

I guess that'll be the last Spider-Man game from Activision and Beenox. It'll probably be hard to find once it's sold out so I'd say, if you liked ASM, buy ASM 2. Same goes for Marvel vs Capcom Origins, Deadpool, M:UA 1, M:UA 2, and all Spider-Man games made by Activision.

Activision and Capcom were not allowed to renew their contracts so...yeah.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Doubly so considering Disney shut down LucasArts, and I'm pretty sure Disney Interactive is basically a shovelware factory. I mean, fair enough if they want to give, say, EA the license for the movie stuff, but why shut out Capcom when you're clearly not going to go in-house?

Apparently Disney themselves isn't even making games anymore. So, as of Jan 1, 2014, all of the Marvel game licenses are up for grabs. This includes Spider-Man and the X-Men.

Hopefully a publisher with the grace of Rocksteady or something will pick them up. It's about time we got a Spider-Man game along the lines of Arkham Asylum, City, or hell, even Origins. However, it could be Marvel forcing Activision to push out games every 1 to 2 years. Who knows at this point.

At least Beenox tried.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LightWarden posted:

That sucks. I really hope they patch things up with Capcom. With the way things are set up, Marvel vs. Capcom 4 could have had Darth Vader and Scrooge McDuck.

Since Marvel/Disney didn't allow either Capcom or Activision to renew contracts, I doubt that there will be any patching up.

This is why MU:A 2's DLC disappeared, actually. The license for the DLC expired and Activision simply didn't want to pay anymore. Kalina (one of the Vicarious Visions devs who posted on HeroHQ) fought REALLY loving hard to get the DLC to come back for 6 months. Seriously, she almost got a Gold Edition of M:UA 2 for PS3/360 but Marvel said no. Marvel allowed the DLC back for 6 months and that was that.

That time was only the digital license...this time it's the whole thing.

What's funny/sad is that, even back then, Activision said absolutely nothing about it being temporary DLC despite knowing the entire time that it would be. When the DLC was first removed, it even caught Vicarious Visions off guard. History repeated itself as Activision, once again, knew this would happen but said nothing to their customers.

Capcom, however, apparently did warn people but didn't give enough time.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The problem is, there's no one to really give the licenses to that could do a REALLY good job like most fans are wanting. EA? Maybe. But they'd start loving around with insane DRM on the PC and DLC out the rear end for more money. Warner Bros. Interactive? That'd be weird but at least maybe Rocksteady could have a shot (they published LEGO Marvel Super Heroes so it's not that huge of a stretch). A LEGO Spider-Man game would be kind of fun so maybe give it to TT Games Publishing (who develops all LEGO games worldwide).

They could also just give it to Playdom (who did Avengers Alliance) and just do Facebook, Android, and iOS games which is probably cheaper than full on console and computer games.

Honestly, it's a bit worrying. While Beenox wasn't the BEST, they certainly tried anyway. Activision's probably pissed because they just lost one of their cash cows. The Spider-Man games seriously got them a LOT of money...even if comic book fans thought they were bad.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

It didn't help that they put out multiple Spider-Man games where you were stuck in small levels. Spider-Man needs a lot of room to move around, otherwise he's just another brawler.

The issue there is that's what most fans wanted. :v: A lot of people on Hero HQ's forums clamored for more indoor levels and Beenox listened.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

That's just stupid because half the fun of a Spider-Man game is webslinging through NYC. PROPER webslinging mind you, none of this web attaches onto nothing off the edge of the screen bullshit.

The biggest things people wanted were indoor levels, SM2 swinging (JUST like SM2, absolutely no changes), playing as Peter Parker as working for the Bugle, going on dates with MJ and no Spider-Man stuff, and more Venom/Symbiote Suit.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Gavok posted:

Yeah... We already had an EA Marvel fighting game. It didn't take.

Oh yeah...what's sad is that I have it staring right at me. :v: ...I kind of liked it. Only kind of.

Action Tortoise posted:

A Spider-man or Superman game where you had to switch between hero and secret identity roles could be a cool concept. You'd have to follow a schedule to make it seem like you're living a normal life but there's a list of things you have to do in a given day like stop bank robberies or fight off a rogue and then get the pics or story over to the newspaper while still remembering to show up for the night's date.

That'd actually be pretty neat, show the player exactly how it feels to be as busy as Peter is and have to make choices like Mass Effect or something just to save the day. They wouldn't need any type of "OH GOD, THE WORLD IS ENDING, WHERE IS SPIDER-MAN?!" plots like almost every single Spider-Man game has now.

That's another thing that bothered me with the recent Spider-Man games. They ALWAYS had some huge huge thing going down that, usually, Spider-Man would go get help with. They'd either completely ignore that he COULD get help or just do it weirdly (like Luke Cage training Spider-Man on how to use his own powers....what...)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

"With great power comes great responsibility"
   - Power Man

I always thought one of the best Superman stories that wasn't about Superman is Astro City # 1. Do that as a game where it's all not world-ending crises but people in burning buildings or car chases with bandits and punctuate it every now and then with notable enemies like Shocker or Lizard to make their inclusion more meaningful instead of exhausting everyone with villain overload. ASM kinda had the right idea with their bank robbers and Peter using his camera at certain points.

See, that would be pretty cool. Mostly mundane stuff until a few enemies show up and there you go. The problem is, most Spidey devs just try to have a HUGE roster of villains and it gets annoying because they try to appease everyone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Opopanax posted:

Only if you really liked the 2099 and 616 parts of Shattered Dimensions. Edge of Time is a totally inferior game in every way, but it's not awful or anything.

The graphics of Edge of Time looked a bit better than SD at least. :colbert:

Also, you could play as Peter Parker.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I went and looked for more ASM 2 information:

Amazon.com posted:

Evil never sleeps. Embrace your power and protect your playground.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 takes place alongside the events of the second film in a unique story as Spider-Man searches for Uncle Ben’s killer. You’ll encounter both new foes and old friends as you discover a larger threat to New York City. Fan-favorite Marvel characters are woven together with movie villains in a twisted web of adrenaline-fueled, free-roaming, web-slinging action!

Game Features

• New Heroism system: "Hero or Menace" system rewards you for acting as Spider-Man by stopping crime and saving citizens, but face the consequences if you don’t keep down crime rates.
    Expansive NYC: Explore and take on villains in a more expansive Manhattan cityscape than the previous Amazing Spider-Man.

• Play as Peter Parker: Play as Spider-Man’s citizen alter-ego persona as you investigate the motivations of multifaceted villains.

• All-Star Villain Cast: Wide cast of Spider-Man universe and movie villains, each with their own unique boss battle encounters.

• Advanced Combat & Upgrades: New abilities and expanded fast-paced, acrobatic combat moves bring players up close and personal as Spidey takes down foes.

• All New Web Arsenal: New web-swing mechanic includes expanded web-shooter capabilities and chemical properties that allow you to freeze and blow up items on impact.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-2-PlayStation-3/dp/B00FRESXSA/

I do remember this stuff being in the press release so...yeah.

As for HeroHQ's ideas, I found this:

Rei_Entri posted:

NEXT SPIDER-MAN: THE CORE GAMEPLAY
I think, without a doubt in my mind, people play video games to take a walk in a character's shoes. Escapism. Don't get me wrong, there are quick "I'm just killing time" games, and "I want to have fun with my friends" games. Though, I think that a single player comic book character-based game is meant to make you feel like you are that character. Batman: Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, have shown what it's about and how to do it. Not in terms of copying that gameplay, but in following the structure.

This is not a post to discuss specific ideas for the next Spider-Man game. This is a topic discussing what the core gameplay is.

Personally, I think Arkham Asylum/City break down to six things: Plot, Characters, Abilities/moveset, Gameplay, Side Gameplay and Extras.

Plot:
A story that is taken seriously, and deeply involves the main character we are playing as. Essentially it should answer "Why am I playing this?" and "What do I have to do here?" A good Spider-Man game should have a reason that Spidey is doing what he does, while at the same time allowing us to make our own choices as him. You're presented with a problem and have to come up with your own ways of solving that problem. The actual "plot" should only drive you along to do those things. Characters making choices and doing things, causing you to respond.

Characters:
People like seeing their favorite characters. Even generic enemies should generally be interesting. The thugs of the recent Batman games are not pushovers. You truly get to feel like Batman, so they're not too tough in comparison, but they will kill you if given the chance. They also talk about interesting things and make it seem like a real world. Small details like simply discussing larger more mainstream characters like The Joker, Harley or Two-Face.
Spider-Man's enemies should offer interesting insight on those they work for. To assume that a villain working for Black Cat is not going to say anything when she leaves the room is silly. Likewise for any other character. And then the main characters should definitely have an on-screen prescence. Doc Ock appearing should definitely make the player nervous for a moment. However your abilities, should give you the confidence to not back down.

Abilities:
More than just fancy tricks, spidey's moves should be useful and multi-faceted. Web should be something that spidey uses for a reason, not to just spray all over town. Especially if we're to believe that he has web shooters and not organic webbing. Developers rely too heavily on the web. His mode of travel should be Le Parkour/Free Run/Urban Ninja with web swinging as an alternative. Again, I'm NOT saying take web swinging out or anything, I'm just saying that as a character he should feel adequate without it. Did any of you ever try playing these games without swinging? Very boring, very slow. It shouldn't feel that way.
In the Batman games you can grapple or glide, and they both have their own uses. In future Spidey games, swinging might get you there faster, but running and jumping might have it's advantages too.
Also, in Batman, you get "Detective Mode" and other ocular abilities, they help you see through walls or find special things. The problem was easily summarized: "Why turn it off?" However, one of the things that Rocksteady did for Arkham City was to not only give you more modes, so that you don't rely on just one, it also made the visuals become somewhat confusing if you left it on. There was a REASON to turn it off. Spider-Man's gameplay should be interesting without relying on specifics movesets or abilities.

Gameplay:
Spider-Man games should be more than...
Introduction of level>Horde of Generic Baddies>Next Room>More Generics>Next Room>A puzzle that a baby could figure out> Sub Boss>Generics>Boss.
Sadly, that's how it's felt for a while in Spidey games. For a super powered being with a genius level intellect, he should be doing more than punching his way through enemies. Why not allow players to do more things that use his brain or powers without relying on any specific one? For example: a level that needs you to master sticking to walls and not touching the ground? Maybe a level that needs spidey to swing accurately? The original Spider-Man game for N64, Dreamcast and PSX did not rely heavily on hordes of enemies or specific abilities to tell the story.

Side Gameplay:
As I said above...Escapism. No one wants to be forced to do one thing for hours on end. Batman games have recently let players Collect Riddler Trophies, Solve Puzzles, Look for clues and easter eggs, Explore the unlocked areas and backtrack, collect audio recordings, look for "chatter teeth", etc etc..It wasn't just about the plot, and Arkham City added even more things. both games also implemented alternate costumes. So let's translate that to Spider-man. Fans keep talking about costumes, including the original outfit and Peter Parker, but they'd also like random crimes to go on unlimited. Why not make those crimes more in depth? I say take a cue from every single Spider-Man game yet:
-Fires you have to rescue people from.
-Falling off of buildings
-Gangs
-Gang fights
-Gangs breaking into rooftops
-Gang Tours
-Destruction. If there's a bad guy that's playable, or even as Spider-Man himself. And like when you played as Venom in USM, he'd have to run from SHIELD or maybe have a random boss fight with another hero like Ironfist, Daredevil, Elektra or Luke Cage.
-Thieves breaking into stores and rooftops
-Races
-Races against other famous characters
-Randomly generated boss fights
-Speeding cars
-Hurt pedestrians from car accidents
-Children and Teenagers(instead of balloons, maybe they'd like Spidey to perform tricks. they could take the place of the Hot air balloon and TRICK RACES)
-Photos around the city for special reports (Like with chang)
-Photos for the Bugle
-Dates (Like you have to meet MJ or whomever somewhere and so you have to get there on time, or sometimes she wants you to just swing her around)
-Pizza Delivery (This could easily be changed into something else)
-City Tokens
-Landmark Tokens
-Spider-Logos you have to get photos of to unlock costumes
-Stores that upgrade and unlock things
-Your apartment to switch costumes and replay levels, talk to Gwen/MJ
-Movie theater to view cutscenes
-Talk to other characters (like in Web of shadows)

That would be an awesome combination of all the free-roam Spider-Man games. And is about equal with what you can do with any other free roam game like GTA or Saints Row.

Extras:
I think people would like the same extras that any other game offers. Let's take a look:
-Extra Costumes available on the disc from day 1
-Playable Characters (Unlockable is fine, even DLC is fine...Even costumes that give you different powers could fit under this, just change up gameplay)
-Figurines with audio. People like the character designs and want to look at the characters without having to play the game again.
-Unlockables. (Moves, skills, upgrades, comic books, alternate endings)
-Easter Eggs in-game
-Cameos and guest appearances

That would be, to me, the core gameplay necessary for any future Spider-Man free-roam games. And these are all things that players have gotten in other games. Even other Spider-Man games. So why not put it all together? It is more profitable to make a game that fans want, than to make sub-par games over and over.

The thread I took this from has a LOT more ideas so click: http://community.herohq.com/thread/200513024 if you want to read more.

Personally, I think the idea is far beyond whatever Activision could've ever done. Maybe even Beenox. Hopefully, with the Spider-Man license now removed, there'll be a decent SM game.

Also, another thing, the Spider-Man and X-Men game licenses were to last until 2017...so Marvel/Disney definitely have other plans. I'm sure Activision intended to keep paying them until 2017.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Regardless of what Disney/Marvel are planning I would be legit surprised if the next full Spider-Man game was not just Amazing Spider-Man 3 with effectively the same gameplay that came before it.

I don't doubt that at all. They'll find someone to make an Amazing Spider-Man 3 game.

I'm wondering how the loss of the license is affecting the development of ASM 2, actually. Beenox really seems to care for the license and to make all Spider-Man fans happy (hell, they got Josh Keaton, Christopher Daniel Barnes, Dan Gilvezan, and Neil Patrick Harris all in the same game JUST because they knew fans missed those voices of Spider-Man...then they got CDB and Josh Keaton back again for Edge of Time). I wouldn't be surprised, considering they're still working on the game, if they're doing their damndest to polish it up as best they can.

Granted, there's only a few months left until release since it'll be coming sometime before ASM 2 actually releases, but we'll see.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 10, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know why that'd be the case. They can't just give those assets to someone else and expect them to figure it out. If anything it'll be an ASM3 that is markedly worse than the last one because they have to start over.

Or more likely it'll just be some lovely iOS game. The thing with licensed games and the new consoles is that the extreme development costs are starting to outweigh the benefits of even making them in the first place. Notice that practically no one makes movie games on modern consoles anymore, even on the 360/PS3.

This is what everyone is worrying about, it seems. The new fad in gaming seems to be mobile games that play on iOS (and only iOS, apparently) so we'll get someone like Gameloft doing a mobile game. Remember, The Dark Knight Rises' ONLY game was Gameloft's mobile game. There was also a mobile version of ASM made by Gameloft that Marvel touted right along side the console versions.

If Gameloft gets the license though, it's going to suck. Badly. They LOVE in-app purchases probably more than EA. At least they'd bring it to Android, Blackberry, and Windows Phone too so they could take money from everyone. Then again, they also made Spider-Man: Total Mayhem which felt more like Spider-Man than the console games (until Shattered Dimensions came along the same year two months after SM:TM dropped). Since SM:TM, however, they've been bringing all the in-app purchases they can...as is the new "it thing" in mobile games.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

This was just posted to the ASM 2 Video Game Facebook page.

Most of the comments consist of "Why are the blues so bright?" and "Is that Shocker?".

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of Activision, their final Spider-Man game just got another image thrown up on their Facebook:

Comments are less complaining about the colors now and more "Are those PS3 graphics?" "No, they're Wii. PS3 and 360 would be MUCH better." "I'm getting a feeling that the PS4 graphics will be the best!"

I don't think anyone has the heart to say "It's a crossplatform game. They developed it on the last gen and ported UP, not down. There won't be anything special in the PS4/Xbox One version." but hey, at least it's not "He's too bright!" :v:

If anyone's wanting more information on the game before buying it, this is Activision's typical "dry spell" period. Come late March or early April, they'll do a huge media blitz where there's a huge explosion of images and trailers and interviews. Some of these (if not all) WILL spoil the ending to the game/movie so be careful if you care about that.

I'll probably stop posting stuff here about the game around then too because I'd like to try my best to go into the game blind with no hype or expectations. I seem to like games a bit better that way.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's been an exceedingly long time since Activision made a Spider-man game worth getting excited about.

Pretty much, but they always sell well when they launch. Spider-Man 3 was their best selling game for a while before the new Call of Duty dropped. The same for Web of Shadows, Shattered Dimensions (which REALLY did well), and yes, even Edge of Time. ASM 1 also did well.

It's why I'm sure that Marvel/Disney had to step in with this licensing thing. Spider-Man is one of Activision's cash cows and I have a hard time believing they'd just be ok with the license ending 3 years before it was originally going to.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Robot_Rumpus posted:

Where did you get any sales numbers for those games? The cumulative sales for ALL spder-man games ever seems to be listed at 8 million.

Spider-man 2 seems to be listed at 2 million. Christ, ASM sold 250k the first month... I guess these things do make a lot of money.

No sales numbers were given to me, but I've been friends with the admins of HeroHQ ever since the M:UA 1 VIP website days (I don't know the current admins/mods though, they changed up recently).

Spider-Man games are extremely popular, even more so than the X-Men. When X-Men Destiny and SM: Edge of Time were coming out, more people spent time on the EoT boards than on X-Men Destiny...especially once people figured out that X-Men Destiny was going to flop hard.

Whoever gets the Spidey license will have to do very, very well because they'll have a LOT of fans looking at their work. Hopefully Disney picks someone good...someone that's not EA.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Robot_Rumpus posted:

Destiny was a shovelware product though. A broke developer cut every corner imaginable and you could tell every step of the way.

It didn't look so at first (when Activision did their "Here's a teaser trailer for a teaser trailer" they always do). Before XMD came out, people had clamored on the forums for a game that let you "be your own mutant" so people thought that's what was happening. Activision even put some developers from SK onto HeroHQ to answer questions but when Denis Dyack stated that he did not believe in giving trailers or interviews or any images before the release of a game and when the developers on the forums stopped coming on, people noticed it wasn't a good sign.

Some people mostly liked the game, but it just wasn't good and was clearly unfinished. That fault mostly lies on Silicon Knights (mostly on Denis himself) for bouncing around on ideas so late in the development stage so it was a literally unfinished game. That and Activision told them to finish whatever they had so they could release it. That all came up on Kotaku a few months after the game released.

On the forums, Activision pretty much has acted like the game never existed by removing the giant banner art from being the first thing you saw when you loaded the site and the hype for the game died down (what little hype it had). Activision really kinda cared more about Spider-Man anyway. For EoT, they got Josh Keaton to come on the forums and hang out for a week or two, that boosted the hype for that game pretty well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 will launch on PS4, PS3, 360, One, Wii U, PC, and 3DS on April 29, 2014.

GameStop has an exclusive Costume Pack which includes:

• Cosmic Spider-Man
  • Iron Spider
  • Symbiote Spider-Man (not "Black Suit" from the movie, the actual comic version of the suit)
  • Spider-Man NOIR

Each suit has different combat bonuses and can show up on the Daily Bugle's front page in-game.

The Costume Pack will only be on PS3, PS4, 360, One, and PC.

However, since Activision no longer has the rights to digitally distribute Marvel content (except for this game), I'm wondering if it'll remain exclusive or if it'll re-appear as DLC later on.

Last time this happened with Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2, the DLC was removed permanently. Meaning anyone who didn't preorder Juggernaut from GameStop OR get the DLC, would never be able to use him outside of online.

Who knows.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 3, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

There's talk of more costumes so this most likely won't be the only ones. :v:

However, 90s Scarlet Spider has a good chance of showing up since he appeared in Shattered Dimensions. I think the Kaine Scarlet Spider was in Edge of Time too.

Beenox could just go all out and give EVERY costume they've ever used.

EDIT: Also a "walkthrough trailer" is supposedly coming soon.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 3, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The only thing we know at this point for sure is that Kevin Conroy has something to do with it. He mentioned on Twitter around the time of Arkham Origins that he would be doing another Batman game but had to clarify himself that it WASN'T Origins because then people were suspecting he'd reprise his role again.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

The fact that it appears to be next gen only and that we haven't seen any actual gameplay, and that they felt it was necessary to add a drive-able batmobile, makes this the least excited I've ever been for a Batman game.

Also, I just want to point out a little something. Riddler trophies. Remember those? Remember how there were about 300 of them strewn about in Arkham City? And that was too many for some people?

So now, you probably get a Gotham City that is the size of your average GTA tri-city game world. The last GTA I played was 4 and I think the collect-a-thon for that one was pigeons. 500 IIRC. Now imagine 500+ Riddler trophies. Or worse, only 100-200 trophies, but spread all over a GTA sized world.

And I really liked the puzzles in all three games.

The Amazing Spider-Man's movie game has 700 comic covers to collect. Every 10-20 pages, you unlock a full comic you could read. They were only slightly easy to collect since once you found one, you could be sure that 2 or 3 were nearby.

Rocksteady couldn't be THAT cruel though...could they? :ohdear:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Crossposting frim the Batman Arkham thread.

Huge wealth of information here. Too much to copy/paste it all:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/452194/batman-arkham-knight-detailed-batmobile-gameplay-new-villain-combat-tweaks-and-more

The PC version is going to be insane...they're truly making this for the new consoles.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Actually, totally flipping the double bird would be the best thing. Treat it kind of like a cross between the Hush missions in City, the idea of the Joker Gang from Beyond, and the little girl clayface episode of B:TAS.

There's a side mission where you encounter a small contingent of Joker thugs, like you would see random Penguin and Two-Face thugs in City. Except they aren't working for Harley. A cult of sorts has sprung up in the wake of the Joker's death, where he was seen as the true king of Gotham - Batman's greatest foe, and a giant middle finger to death itself.

You follow leads and investigate specific crimes that seem to point to a return of the Joker. Maybe a couple of eyewitness sightings, but from goons that are strung out on fear gas.

People start going nuts. Everyone knows that the Joker is dead. Twenty cops, plus the Commissioner himself saw Batman carry Joker's broken lifeless body out of the walled off city last year. But he's come back before, hasn't he? Every other time he's come back from certain death. Shady figures that look like Joker pop out of the shadows causing mayhem all over the city, and the trademark laugh seems to follow Batman wherever he goes.

Following leads brings you to some appropriately themed deathtrap where you are taunted (one last time?) by the Joker. Do the voice (Have Hamill record one last set of lines) and have the Joker watch as Batman has to escape.

The trap is a fake, the taunting is a recording, the Joker that watches Batman is some kind of anamatronic puppet. It's his last joke, a deathtrap that doesn't kill. One last laugh.

This feels pretty brilliant and slightly sad at the same time. It wouldn't have to take over the entire game, just a small mission of it. Kind of a really nice send-off for Hamill as well (even better than AC) if his character can get the last laugh.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Beenox and The Amazing Spider-Man Game posted some new info on Amazing Spider-Man 2:

The Amazing Spider-Man Game posted:

In a parallel universe, Peter Parker was raised by his Aunt May and Uncle Ben during the Great Depression. After Ben was murdered, Peter battled crime and injustice in the 1930s as Spider-Man Noir! In-game abilities include:

• STEALTH: Move closer to enemies without being seen
• TAKEDOWN RANGE: Range at which Spider-Man can trigger a takedown is increased
• BALLISTIC RESISTANCE: Damage caused by ballistic weapons are reduced

Beenox has posted up the official website for The Amazing Spider-Man's video games. Apparently, they are doing away with HeroHQ up at Activision because I don't see a link to it from there.

http://www.theamazingspidermangame.com/

Also, it behaves and looks just like Batman: Arkham Knight's website. :v:

We have a few new pictures as well. However, they're located on the site and I don't know how to get them off. :(

At least the new one for Spider-Man Noir is postable.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like Beenox is getting ready to release a gameplay trailer "soon" for ASM 2. Probably this week or next.

Also, it's looking that only GameStop will have preorder content.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

More ASM2 game news:

The Amazing Spider-Man Game on Facebook posted:

In times of great danger, the universe temporarily bestows cosmic power upon worthy individuals. On this occasion, the chosen one was Spider-Man! In-game abilities include:
• HEALING RATE: Spider-Man heals faster
• SPIDER-SENSE RANGE: Spider-Sense goes further than normal
• IONIC POTENCY: Ionic web reacts more rapidly

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kellsterik posted:

No invincibility+unlimited webbing? Pass.

They'll probably save one of those for Symbiote Spider-Man and Iron Spider. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Action Tortoise posted:

It'd be really cool if Iron Spider had finishing moves involving those robo-arms and if Symbiote Spider-Man had all of his dialogue replaced with more sarcastic/mean-spirited exchanges.

I don't think Beenox would go that far. They've probably only had about 2 years (if that...) to finish the game.

I don't know if I'd call it "another mediocre Spider-Man game" either since, knowing how Beenox did do their best on Shattered Dimensions and actually listened to fans putting a playable Peter Parker in the story and not just as a costume, we'll see how their last Spider-Man game pans out.

It might just move from "medicore Spider-Man game" to "this is better than Spider-Man 2 on PS2/Xbox/GC at least" status. That's only if they make it so crimes DON'T just stop once you're done with the story...and if they set it so there's more than just four extra costumes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

The swinging will still be garbage, so there's no way it'll beat SM2

They're saying dual-handed swinging using both triggers this time so we'll see how it is.

HeroHQ is pretty much dead it looks like. Activision's replaced the forum with their Activision Community thing. With it gone (and the site not being remade for ASM 2 like it was for ASM 1), I don't think Beenox will answer any questions except on their Facebook.

The dual-handed swinging thing is something they've stated a lot so I think they get that ASM's swinging was awful...again, we'll just have to see.

The gameplay trailer should be coming probably next week or maybe the first week of April since they're pretty busy with the suits once a week. We have 2 more suits left and two more weeks left. They seem to be talking about them once a week so...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Byzantine posted:

I'm don't mind it, except that it keeps being the same few suits trotted out for incentive. Captain Universe seems to be a go-to, especially.

Like the only DLC for Shattered Dimensions being EVERYONE IS CAPTAIN UNIVERSE

Apparently, the newest Captain Universe says that Universe 616 is broken and the "White Event" is coming.

...I'm guessing the rumored merge of Ultimate Marvel with 616 oe maybe another Phoenix event.

Maybe it's Marvel's idea all along to use Captain Universe so much. :v:

EDIT:

The Amazing Spider-Man Facebook posted:

Ian Griffen Please show us some gameplay of the open world
Like · Reply · 8 · Yesterday at 12:41pm

The Amazing Spider-Man Game Gameplay is coming. Stay tuned!
Like · 13 · Yesterday at 12:48pm

Khalid Brooks You mean SOON???? Or SOON SOON? I hope Soon means this week guys.
Unlike · 5 · Yesterday at 1:25pm · Edited

Deepjoy Roy Will the game be available for download in play station store ?
Like · Yesterday at 7:24pm

The Amazing Spider-Man Game Khalid Brooks - We can't confirm any dates at this time. Hang in there, eager webslinger. Deepjoy Roy - Possibly, but right now we're focused on the physical release.
Like · 1 · 9 hours ago

Khalid Brooks I appreciate the response but I think I speak on all the fans behalves when I say we have waited ALONG time and we are getting anxious because we really want to see the improvements this game makes over the first one. Webswinging is my MAIN concern so please please release it soon. Thank you
Unlike · 1 · 8 hours ago · Edited

If Beenox is trying to emulate WB Montreal since they tried to emulate Arkham City before, we might not see the gameplay trailer until AFTER April 29th. :v: Good job, Beenox. Keep people from seeing trailers for a game that should be done by now considering it has almost a month left to go before launch.

Ah well.

Activision will bring a flood of information in April anyway as per their usual "dry spells" for their Marvel games. Maybe they'll put it out then.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 13, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Opopanax posted:

It already happend a few months ago.

Oh. I haven't caught up with comics in a while. What exactly happened?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Beenox just posted on Facebook that they'll be at Game Developer Conference next week.

Beenox posted:

Next week, members of our team are attending GDC in San Francisco. Thomas Wilson, our co-studio head will also be presenting The Amazing Spider-Man 2 game to several media outlets. It should be a busy week!

Looks like there should finally be that gameplay video they mentioned on their Twitter a few weeks ago.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Goddamn you are excited for this game

Yeah...kind of.

Spider-Man is the first hero I ever experienced from Marvel. I have all of the SNES games Spider-Man is in their original carts and have beaten them all. I've beaten all of the recent Spider-Man games. I've played all GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance, Sega Genesis, etc Spider-Man games. Spider-Man is still my favorite character in the Capcom fighting games, and I spent most of my time on HeroHQ following every bit of Spider-Man game news that I noticed Activision's patterns in marketing.

I'm kind of addicted to Spider-Man games. :v:

It's kind of sad.

Only one that rivals it is Batman.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Don't mean to double-post, but there's new info on ASM 2.

Amazing Spider-Man Game on Facebook posted:

Spider-Man’s black costume harbored a deadly secret: it was an alien symbiote that later became Venom!
In-game abilities include:
• DAMAGE: Base attacks cause more damage
• BONUS TECH: Tech pieces have higher value than normal
• DURABILITY: Any damage towards SM is reduced

This leaves the Iron Spider suit left. They probably won't do unlimited webbing as they're not doing web refills anymore since they didn't want people to complain that they ran out of webbing while trying to swing around the city.

Beenox's Facebook confirms that they'll be doing interviews at GDC today so there'll probably be new information later.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lobok posted:

Spider-Man should never have limited webbing. It's his trademark. Maybe a cooldown period for the better attacks or a short reload of webbing in general but that's it.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, "limited webbing" is not really fun in a game context. Nobody wants to go Parker Luck and be stuck walking around or limited to using only the boring attacks or whatever.

I agree, but some "hardcore" fans want it because they liked it in the old Spider-Man games. Beenox will probably do what they did in ASM 1 and just have a quick animation of him reloading his webbing when you land on the ground.

Hopefully it's a better animation this time around because before it's just him swiping his wrists to his sides and you hear a sound that's supposed to be him reloading...it's kind of odd.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

With the first day of spring and April starting in about 12 days, looks like the floodgates have opened on new ASM 2 stuff. Activision usually has a flood of information (spoilers and all) in the last month before their new Marvel games come so, yeah.

Beenox did an interview with GameInformer and here's what the site says:

GameInformer.com posted:

For the game based on the new film, the studio isn’t taking the systems that it’s established for granted. Instead, they’re revamping everything from the way Spidey gets around to what he does once he gets there.

In previous games, Spider-Man would effortlessly swing above the streets of Manhattan via an automated web system. It worked, but holding down a button and steering on a course didn’t really nail the fantasy of being the red and blue-suited hero. Now, webbing is tied to the left and right triggers. Hold left down, for instance, and you’ll swing forward for a bit before gaining altitude and listing to the left. To move forward in a controlled and speedy pace, you need to alternate between left and right web shots. It’s jarring at first, but I quickly got into the rhythm of things. It’s more satisfying to get around, since you’re timing when you alternate your webs, and when you release them to gain and maintain the maximum momentum. Spidey spends the majority of his time above the skyline, so anything that improves that aspect of his characterization is welcome.

Looks like the web swinging is back to SM2 with a bit of an update. I haven't played Spider-Man 2 in YEARS (might hook up my PS2 soon to play it again though) so I'm not 100% on how the swinging was in that in terms of dual-handed.

quote:

Players get to control Parker, which Beenox says is something that will be part of the overall experience. He’s there to propel the plot along; when it’s time to fight or save people, he’ll need to don his costume.

Spidey can do a variety of web and physical-based moves, including one where he positions himself between two opponents, webs them both in the face, leaps in the air and pulls the line taut – causing them to bonk their heads together.

...I see a stealth-based sequence. Beenox has designed these to be less linear than in past games, so players can choose their own paths as they remove each guard from play, one web cocoon at a time.

A new hero system has been implemented into the game now, which should keep players on their toes. Missions will pop up on the minimap as players progress through the campaign. They can be ignored, but at a cost. If you encounter a building engulfed in flames, for instance, Spider-Man can play the hero by using his spider senses to navigate through the smoke and carry out unconscious victims. His bravery will be recognized through a special segment on the Bugle Channel, featuring anchor Whitney Chang. It works the other way, too. Fail at a bomb-disposal mission, and J. Jonah Jameson will take to the airwaves, wondering why Spidey didn’t call the police instead of trying to figure it out himself.

As players gain more acclaim or notoriety, they’ll be treated differently. Civilians will clap when they see the heroic Spider-Man, but they’ll run at one that’s seen as a public menace. Oscorp will send out drones to attack Spider-Man, and he’ll even face penalties to damage and other stats.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_amazing_spider-man_2/b/xbox360/archive/2014/03/19/what-kind-of-a-spider-man-are-you.aspx

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 20, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kaveman posted:

No mention of the webbing actually attaching to buildings like in SM2 so no sale for me yet.

They've mentioned it a lot (it's really all people ask now a days aside from when they'll release the gameplay video).

This is what Beenox told PlayStation.com:

quote:

Web-swinging works a bit differently this time around, and if it’s always bothered you that Spidey can somehow soar above the city, shooting webbing into thin air rather than swinging through it, you’ll be pleased to learn the web-head now attaches to actual objects in the environment.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/01/30/the-amazing-spider-man-2-building-a-better-playground/

And this is from Beenox's Twitter (compiled courtesy of PlayStation Lifestyle.net):

quote:

• When it comes to the PS4 and PS3 versions, “Story, characters and gameplay will be the same.”

• There are no plans for a PS Vita version at this time, “But as you may remember, we didn’t plan to release a Vita version of the first game either.”

• The reason it isn’t coming to Vita is because “We have to support other platforms (including new platforms) and don’t have the time or resources to do it properly.”

• They tried a first-person view for swinging around New York, but “It’s a big no. Motion sickness at its best!”

• The story of the game revolves around Peter hunting down Uncle Ben’s killer.

• Peter’s appearance will change automatically throughout the game.

• While you do play as Peter Parker and have to do some investigative journalism, “you will not only take pictures.”

• “Webs will now attach to buildings. You can’t webswing over Central Park. No more webs-in-the-skies nonsense.”

• You will be able to use various web fluids, such as sticky web, impact web and cryo web.
    “You will be able to use different kinds of web fluids, in combat and in navigation.”

• When web slinging, you need to use both triggers (likely L2/R2 on PlayStation).

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/10/14/the-amazing-spider-man-2/

Glad I found this list, actually. I thought they'd go and do something different with PS3/360 vs PS4/XBone. Granted, Activision generally ports UP and not down so...

But yeah, the official word on what you want to know is: Yes, they connect to buildings and not clouds this time. They got a LOT of flack before about that.

Now I hope the random crimes and whatnot last after the story is over. For me, playing Arkham City (or Origins) or even Spider-Man 3 (since no other recent Spidey game has randomly respawning enemies...) isn't the story so much as "I can pop this game in ANY time and just be a superhero for a while".

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I would still wait until someone here posts their impressions. I agree, this all sounds good, but it's a movie game, and there's a very real chance it could turn out horribly despite what they say.

Codependent Poster posted:

I won't have the heart to do it, but I'd like to see someone do an rear end in a top hat Spidey run. They can just pretend he's Spock.

I'll be getting it day one too (or, more like day two) but I'll post my impressions of it.

I'll probably do a bad Spider-Man run too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Those are collector's editions, which you can still get without pre-ordering in most cases. The point is you shouldn't pre-order because paying 60$+ on faith alone is not going to stack the odds in your favour, unless you really want some overpriced tchotchke on day 1, I guess. The game's still going to be there once reviews/impressions are out and you might have avoided purchasing a bad game.

Or you can wait like a few weeks and get it at half price. I mean this is still a licensed movie game, people! I'm saying this for your own good! I hope it turns out alright, but pre-ordering it is still a shaky proposition, and you won't lose out on much by potentially not getting a few character skins!

The problem with Activision and their preorders isn't "You can just get this later for a cheaper price!" it's "You may NOT be able to get this later for ANY price".

Remember the M:UA 2 debacle? You can't get that DLC ANYWHERE anymore and Activision knew it. It was always supposed to be around for only 6 months and then be gone forever. This means, not only do you lose out on Magneto and other DLC-only characters, but you can't get Juggernaut either. The reason for this is because Activision lost the rights to sell the DLC online and didn't feel it worth the cost of making a "Gold Edition" like they did for M:UA 1 (in fact, M:UA 1 was needed mostly because of bugs. I personally compiled a lit of 100+ bugs and delivered them directly to Raven Software which they put into Gold Edition instead of releasing patches).

The problem can easily happen again this time. This is the last time Activision can make a Spider-Man game. They no longer have the right to have online versions of ANY Marvel game or downloadable content (though I believe Steam still has them). This GameStop pre-order content could quite easily be the only time you will be able to get this content.

When GameStop has a preorder bonus for one of Activision's games, it's got the date that it's no longer exclusive in fine print either on the poster itself, the fake gamebox they have on display, or somewhere on their website. This date isn't listed anywhere, I've checked.

Honestly, having the experience of being around HerohQ during the M:UA 2 fiasco, with this being Activision last Spider-Man game, AND the preorder DLC possibly being truly exclusive, I'm going to say that if you want the preorder DLC, get it now. If you wait and expect that it'll be DLC later anyway and it's not, you might just be disappointed.

About this being a movie game, yes there's always the possibility of the game being bad, but considering Beenox has did the best they could in the past with Shattered Dimensions, Edge of Time, and ASM 1, I'd say their track record is more "This could at least be a decent Spider-Man game" rather than "This could be really lovely." Granted, my opinion on this is probably biased sooo..yep. :v:

• Locked thread