Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

muckswirler posted:

A Gefell 92.1S will slap a U87 silly any day of the week if you're dropping that kind of coin. I like the Schoeps V4 a lot. Maybe try a bright ribbon like the Coles 4040. Depending on your voice, the C414. And of course an SM7 is a good choice if you want to just order something that's going to work assuming you aren't already using one.

Big caveat to the SM7b is it needs a decent preamp; +60dB. A lot of audio interfaces don't go that high on their own without a lot of noise, so you might need a separate preamp for it or one of those powered gain boosters (cloudlifters and the like).

My own annoyance now is I just upgraded my interface to a new Scarlet 4i4. Worked great. Then I received a firmware update for my laptop. Now it (and my older interface) crash every 20 minutes or so. Given one of my older interfaces with dedicated power glitches but doesn't quite die and that having less stuff plugged into USB seems to help things last longer I'm guessing a power issue has been introduced with the firmware update.

The laptop is still under warranty, I wonder how hard they're going to fight "three interfaces made by two different companies were capable of running all day without incident, and as soon as the firmware is updated they start crashing" as evidence something messed up. Next up I'll be plugging the interfaces into another computer to establish that they still work normally on other hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Looking for the thread's advice on getting back into the composing scene after a 6-year hiatus. Not sure if this is the right thread, but hopefully someone can give some great advice...

After a new computer upgrade to a Windows 10 machine, I wasn't able to port my old Soundblaster Audigy 2. It being a PCI card, my new machine only uses PCI-E slots.

Why I held onto that card for almost 18 years was that I was using some 3rd party device drivers drivers (KX drivers) that worked as miniature DSP packages and filters (Reverb, Delay, Highpass, Tune, Pitch, etc...) were highly configurable, and allowed for low-latency ASIO output (as well as allowing me to connect my General-Midi devices / keyboards / controllers / Legacy Roland Synths through its joystick port). It was also nice, that I could run settings on the fly for gaming, and then jump back into composing settings.

I suppose I'm back to looking for a good card that would let me do something very similar - allow for midi inputs, multiple midi outputs, be configurable with how inputs are handled (such as Mic, multiple line-ins for my legacy synthesizers) and relatively good DAC for output.

I still have my copy of Native Instruments, Kontact, about half a terabyte's worth of Gigastudio samples, and my old copy of Sonar.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Guigui posted:

I suppose I'm back to looking for a good card that would let me do something very similar - allow for midi inputs, multiple midi outputs, be configurable with how inputs are handled (such as Mic, multiple line-ins for my legacy synthesizers) and relatively good DAC for output.
Even PCI-express is no longer really A Thing nowadays. It's all USB and Thunderbolt.

The most obvious candidate (which is also expensive) is an UAD Apollo 8. https://www.uaudio.com/audio-interfaces/apollo-8.html gives you an on-board effects DSP processor. RME and MOTU also have on-board DSP - see https://motu.com/products/avb/8a and https://www.rme-audio.de/totalmix-fx-dsp-effects.html .

For multiple MIDI I/O you want a dedicated MIDI interface. Think https://www.esi-audio.com/products/m8uex/ .

quote:

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!
The Audigy had a slightly fancier E-mu chip so the algorithms running on those are likely completely antiquated compared to what you can do in the box nowadays.

What's your budget?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I just upgraded my 2009 macbook pro to a 2017 (15”, four usb c ports). I have a presonus audiobox 44vsl that isn’t playing nice with the new laptop. i had it plugged in interface > usb hub > dongle > laptop. it was showing up as unknown usb audio device, only under inputs. installed drivers and restarted, same. if i remove the hub from the chain it doesn’t show up at all. currently waiting on a usb b to usb c cable to try going directly from the interface to the laptop, but in the meantime is there anything i can do to get it working?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The interface has its own power brick, is that right?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

The interface has its own power brick, is that right?

Yes. Still works with my 2009 mbp

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

If the hub and the current dongle work for other USB devices, then I've got nothing.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Solved it. Read below if you like laughing at people being frustrated and/or technology being dumb. honestly it's just gonna be copy/paste of conversations I've had in the last few days

tl;dr: plug the usb b side in last

----

apple dongle came yesterday, a day early. it didn't work immediately, but did after an unplug/plug in. great, unplugged it and went on with my day

today, 30min before a student, I plugged it in and it didn't work. couldn't figure it out before the lesson, so I gave up. had some other stuff to attend to, came back to it a few hours later

restarted again, just in case. nothing. reset PRAM and SMC, nothing. systematically tried all physical configurations of adapters, dongles, hubs, and which port everything was plugged into. deleted two settings files per this guide (https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546085-My-interface-isn-t-showing-up-when-connected-to-my-Mac), but made backups of them, restarted, nothing. deleted them again (they auto-generate) and the backups. nothing.

decided to try some signal chains that haven't worked in the past, just to see if anything's changed. landed on interface > hub > 5$ noname dongle from fb marketplace > laptop, and it works, consistently. for now

I'm hoping the usb b to c cable arriving tomorrow works, cuz this is a silly arrangement that's been frustrating to find, and I kinda wanna forget it exists

----

b to c cable didn't work w interface initially
tried it w my sample pad, didn't work cuz pebkac
turned sample pad on, cable worked
unplugged b end from pad, plugged into interface. worked

-

unplugged c end, plugged back in
doesn't show up

-

so plugging the cable in c first, then b works consistently
is that it
is that the whole thing
oh my loving god it is
the adapters that've never worked going interface > b to a cable > a to c adapter > laptop?
work perfectly if i plug the b side in last
my loving poo poo that is so dumb

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jazz Marimba posted:

my loving poo poo that is so dumb

I'm glad you got it figured out but :psyduck:

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

taqueso posted:

I'm glad you got it figured out but :psyduck:

Yeah, that's the kind of crazy poo poo that when it happens makes me want toss out my audio interface and DAW and get an old tape 8-track or something.

Whenever everything works, it's all amazing, and using the DAW feels incredible compared to my dim memories of recording to tape. But when weird poo poo is happening with cables or drivers or unexpected updates, it just makes my head want to explode.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
This is a faintly ridiculous question. Do you guys think it's ok to stand a monitor (screen, not speaker) on top of an interface? Specifically a 24" on my Scarlett 18i20. I've held off doing it for ages because I'm always super precious about new electronics but I tried it last night and it clears so much space on my desk. Seems like the enclosure is sturdy enough. I guess my main concerns were heat build-up (it does get a little warm on top), or bending the top panel inwards and shorting something.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Probably? But I personally wouldn't risk it. Just see if you can get a rack mount flight case that's like 1u or 2u

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

It's fine. If you're worried, put a board or something else rigid in between.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

muckswirler posted:

It's fine. If you're worried, put a board or something else rigid in between.

and then if you are really worried, prop the corner / sides of the board with little legs and you can give the top of the interface some breathing room.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Thanks. There is a little air gap because the monitor has feet on its base. I was more worried about the weight than anything but it does seem ok. Might get a little desktop rack mount box thing just to be on the safe side.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm new to the music production game and I'm looking for something to plug my MPC One audio into my PC. Not necessarily for recording, just to share my process over live stream. I started looking at a Behringer UMC404HD, but it doesn't have like "real" line inputs (I don't how to put that better), so I'd be loving with the gain knobs to keep both channels exactly the same. So I guess I'm looking at a Scarlett 4i4 or Komplete Audio 6? I know the OP says I get what I pay for, but is there a cheaper option out there with balanced 1/4" line ins?
I've also considered that I'm just GASsing and I could get by with just passing the headphone out into my onboard line in since the quality is gonna get shredded by whatever live stream host.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I'm new to the music production game and I'm looking for something to plug my MPC One audio into my PC. Not necessarily for recording, just to share my process over live stream. I started looking at a Behringer UMC404HD, but it doesn't have like "real" line inputs (I don't how to put that better), so I'd be loving with the gain knobs to keep both channels exactly the same. So I guess I'm looking at a Scarlett 4i4 or Komplete Audio 6? I know the OP says I get what I pay for, but is there a cheaper option out there with balanced 1/4" line ins?
I've also considered that I'm just GASsing and I could get by with just passing the headphone out into my onboard line in since the quality is gonna get shredded by whatever live stream host.

The 4i4 is rad as hell, plus you get DIN MIDI.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The 4i4 is rad as hell, plus you get DIN MIDI.

That was the tiny push I needed. Order is in.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

TVsVeryOwn posted:

That was the tiny push I needed. Order is in.

You won't regret it. I picked one up to upgrade from my first gen 2i2.
I didn't need it but I had Guitar Center promo gift cards about to expire and I couldn't think what to get so I just snagged one and I have been VERY happy.

The new audio routing software is good.
The 4i4 is a great little box. The rubber feet are nice, the knob feel is fluid and spectacular, the jacks are solid and the whole thing feels well built despite being very light.
Oh and the AIR button makes me sound so good in Skype meetings.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of Guitar Center, I was on chat with someone there and they said the Akai Professional MPK225 (https://www.amazon.com/Akai-Profess...B00IJ77TRI?th=1) would be able to be plugged into an amp along with a computer.

It being my first foray into playing keys I believed him, but I don't think this can generate sound on its own. It's not a real synth.

For the person looking to record music in their computer, and jam in real life with their friends, are there any reccs for cheap and good keys?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Correct, the MPK225 is just a midi controller.
Another midi controller I would recommend is the Arturia Keystep. It's fantastic and has an arpeggiator. If you want a better midi keyboard and
sequencer then you can get the Keystep Pro. If you want pads, then the Keylab and Keylab MKII and MiniLab MKII are great.
However, none of these will generate their own sounds. They are just controllers.

If it needs to make it's own sounds, then... You probably want an actual keyboard / synth / digital piano OR a midi controllable sound module / synth that you can attach to your midi controller using 5 pin DIN midi cables.
I'd like to make a recommendation but I need some more information:
a) define cheap. What's your budget?
b) do you want a sampler keyboard? Do you want a Synth? Do you just want a piano?

You could get a Synth with keys that also has midi connections like the Yamaha Reface CS. That has a few cool sounds and filters/effects plus can be used as a midi controller for your computer or hardware synths.
Whereas the Yamaha has great keys, but few sounds, the Korg Minilogue XD has lots of sounds but really lovely keys. But it can connect to your computer via usb to be used as a controller for your VST's.
The Novation MiniNova is also a fun little instrument with a vocoder and DIN midi in and out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

My budget would be between 200 and 300 dollars. Looking for something beyond just piano sounds, sampler keyboard sounds good. Oh and also a drumpad would be great.

Gonna check out what you recommended posthaste, thank you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I can't think of a single synth that has a keyboard and trigger pads.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I can't think of a single synth that has a keyboard and trigger pads.

Yeah, I've decided not to get a synth. Just get a cheaper audio interface with a keyboard and pads, and use my computer and Ableton. Right now I'm eyeing this Novation LaunchKey for around a hundred bucks: https://www.americanmusical.com/nov...0EaAlhsEALw_wcB

Still trying to find the most bang for my buck.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, I've decided not to get a synth. Just get a cheaper audio interface with a keyboard and pads, and use my computer and Ableton. Right now I'm eyeing this Novation LaunchKey for around a hundred bucks: https://www.americanmusical.com/nov...0EaAlhsEALw_wcB

Still trying to find the most bang for my buck.

I really like my Arturia Keystep and have an Akai LPD8 I snagged for like $35 brand new. It works fine but eventually I'm gonna upgrade to a Keystep Pro + Beatstep Pro and be set for a while.
The Keylab Mini is also quite good.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 1, 2020

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I bought a launchkey a week or so ago from Sweetwater. It's out of stock and will be a few days until they get it in, but I'm happy to tell you what I think when I get it. Just don't expect any real insight - it's my first keyed instrument, my first midi controller, and also I am not very good at making tracks

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I really like my Arturia Keystep and have an Akai LPD8 I snagged for like $35 brand new. It works fine but eventually I'm gonna upgrade to a Keystep Pro + Beatstep Pro and be set for a while.
The Keylab Mini is also quite good.

Will look into these choices as well, but managed to find an Akai model that produces its own sound https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Akai-Pr...3d-f486577edf4d

The sound quality is supposedly low but i dont need a computer to play music, and im getting hopeful that a headphone jack means that i can attach it to an amp somehow??? Is that possible?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
What in the

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Is that bc of my lack of knowledge re cables or the link?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I think the response was just because it's a newer product that is very similar to the original except for it's gimmick of having sounds built in which is a weird one. Either that or someone has never been to a non-english Amazon before? I dunno.

So cable wise get a 1/8 inch trs/stereo/headphone to 1/4 inch ts/mono/guitar/instrument/patch and you're set yeah.

From searching: https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Hosa-CM...88583053&sr=8-1

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Weird BIAS posted:

So cable wise get a 1/8 inch trs/stereo/headphone to 1/4 inch ts/mono/guitar/instrument/patch and you're set yeah.

From searching: https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Hosa-CM...88583053&sr=8-1

It ain't gonna sound great, but yeah that should work. (This is assuming we're talking about a regular guitar amp with 1/4" TS inputs.) Looks like that cable was meant to split a mono TS connection into equivalent L/R channels for a 1/8" stereo input but I presume the reverse works too (combining L/R TRS to mono 1/4).

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I've been window shopping for an interface/recording device for several months now to record my Synths, drum machine, and bass guitar. I've got a little PreSonus iTwo but two inputs just isn't enough for what I want to do I think... Initially I was thinking i'd go straight hardware for recording and figure out a DAW down the road but now I'm thinking I should probably just rebuild my computer soon here and get it all set up to do things in Ableton (most likely). The main thing that was keeping me from looking into straight up input devices was that I'd like to be able to quickly record ideas, stems, drums to share with other musician friends without loving with anything on my computer but I'm having a difficult time finding devices that serve both purposes at any kind of reasonable price. Additionally I don't have a good mixer, I just have a Korg Volca Mix which works [alright].

So I've been looking at the Zoom r16 for 8 inputs mostly so I can break out individual drum tracks from my Arturia Drumbrute for adding effects to (allows you to send any of the drum channels separately). I appreciate that the r16 has some built-in effects and would also solve my want for a hardware recording device if I didn't want to use my computer or was traveling or something. It looks like any other 8 channel input devices jump up in price from the ~$300-400 (used vs new) of the r16 to more like $500+ for a focusrite 18i20 or similar dedicated input device.

Would love some recommendations even if it's just "you're an idiot just get a dedicated input device and learn to love DAW." Has anyone used the r16 or r24 or am I crazy trying to have one device fill multiple roles as interface, mixer, and solid state recorder?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

MMD3 posted:

Would love some recommendations even if it's just "you're an idiot just get a dedicated input device and learn to love DAW." Has anyone used the r16 or r24 or am I crazy trying to have one device fill multiple roles as interface, mixer, and solid state recorder?
I used to have the Zoom R8 years ago. The R16/24 have better I/O options and more features, but there is functional overlap as well. I remember the R8 being rather clunky to use. The device was primarily a standalone digital recorder with an optional audio interface mode, with somewhat limited functions. You had to force it into "USB mode" any time you wanted to use it as an interface. It serves as a DAW control surface as well, which is neat, but I never use stuff like that.

My synth array got so big that it was pointless for me to try to find active inputs for all of the dozens of outputs I had. Personally I went the patch bay route; every one of my synths sends output to one of two patch bays, and I just patch them into my RME Fireface UFX's inputs as needed.

Other folks use a standalone line mixer instead of the patch bay option, with a few main and bus outputs wired direct to the interface inputs. Using a mixer gives you more monitoring/mixing options, but I don't have enough physical space for a mixer while 2 patch bays is just 2 rack slots.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm thinking of picking up a Traktor Audio 2 interface before the end of month as it comes with Guitar Rig free right now and I need something more modern than this old M-audio box I picked up from the thrift store - anybody have a ballpark of what latency I can expect on a 2015 Macbook pro at 24/96 (or 24/192?) "Playable" is totally fine.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a Traktor Audio 2 interface before the end of month as it comes with Guitar Rig free right now and I need something more modern than this old M-audio box I picked up from the thrift store - anybody have a ballpark of what latency I can expect on a 2015 Macbook pro at 24/96 (or 24/192?) "Playable" is totally fine.
The thing has no inputs, just saying in case. If you're talking the midi keyboard to softsynth to audio out type of latency, it did sub 5ms easily on my atom Windows tablet at 48kHz four or five years ago. It should do that easily or better on an actual computer at a higher sample rate, even at that age.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm a dumbass, wrong product.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/audio-interfaces/komplete-audio-1-audio-2/

This one

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Radiapathy posted:

I used to have the Zoom R8 years ago. The R16/24 have better I/O options and more features, but there is functional overlap as well. I remember the R8 being rather clunky to use. The device was primarily a standalone digital recorder with an optional audio interface mode, with somewhat limited functions. You had to force it into "USB mode" any time you wanted to use it as an interface. It serves as a DAW control surface as well, which is neat, but I never use stuff like that.

My synth array got so big that it was pointless for me to try to find active inputs for all of the dozens of outputs I had. Personally I went the patch bay route; every one of my synths sends output to one of two patch bays, and I just patch them into my RME Fireface UFX's inputs as needed.

Other folks use a standalone line mixer instead of the patch bay option, with a few main and bus outputs wired direct to the interface inputs. Using a mixer gives you more monitoring/mixing options, but I don't have enough physical space for a mixer while 2 patch bays is just 2 rack slots.

Yeah, I've considered a patch-bay as well, I think my main reason for wanting enough inputs in an interface is that I'd like to be able to play things in live w/ drum machine & synths w/out having to figure out how to get them in sync after the fact but my inexperience with any kind of DAW audio software is probably showing... I'm sure I could get the results I want with a 2 input device but given that my Drumbrute has individual outs for all 12 instruments and my synth rig is only going to keep growing having to switch inputs between each take seems tricky.

Soon I'd like to build a simple shelf for my monitors with room for 4 or 6 1u rack units and then I'd definitely see the benefit in adding a patch bay for easier routing, primarily for adding in effects and such.

I mean, I guess there just doesn't seem to be anything else in the price range that does what the r16/24 do. Tascam's portastudio looks comparable but getting into decent 8 channel rack mounted interface's seems to be a jump up in price.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yeah, that's the kind of crazy poo poo that when it happens makes me want toss out my audio interface and DAW and get an old tape 8-track or something.

Whenever everything works, it's all amazing, and using the DAW feels incredible compared to my dim memories of recording to tape. But when weird poo poo is happening with cables or drivers or unexpected updates, it just makes my head want to explode.

This is literally why I no longer use my DAW setup and switched to a all in one Tascam recorder (DP-03SD). Yeah, it can't compete with my all singing, all dancing DAW and midi isn't an option, but I rarely get time to record now and wasting a day trying to figure out crap like this made me mothball the whole thing. For the kind of simple stuff I'm recording now I love having a simple system that straddles that old-school multitrack recording with modern perks.

(and it feels like being a kid again with my Tascam 414 back in the early 90s)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dog_Meat posted:

This is literally why I no longer use my DAW setup and switched to a all in one Tascam recorder (DP-03SD). Yeah, it can't compete with my all singing, all dancing DAW and midi isn't an option, but I rarely get time to record now and wasting a day trying to figure out crap like this made me mothball the whole thing. For the kind of simple stuff I'm recording now I love having a simple system that straddles that old-school multitrack recording with modern perks.

(and it feels like being a kid again with my Tascam 414 back in the early 90s)

This makes me want to drop the coin on a new Tascam 12 (or 16 or 24 even)
You can record straight to it or use it as an interface for your DAW (you can even use the faders and knobs to control your DAW.)

e; only the Model 12 can be used as a control surface.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
When I plug my crappy little desktop gaming mic with a 3.5mm jack into my interface (using a 3.5mm to 6.35mm convertor) the interface seems to get no signal at all from it. Does this kind of mic put out too small a signal for it work or something?

It's not really an issue, I just plug it into my on-board sound instead, I'm just curious. Although it would be slightly more convenient for me if it did work. I guess I could plug in a proper mic but that seems like massive overkill for gaming and I don't really want mic stand in my face the whole time I'm playing.