Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I tried to solve this with an Allen & Heath zed-r16 FireWire mixer, but it doesn't work with thunderbolt on my system. Anyone used one of their MixWizard 4 series with the usb card? Supposedly you get a nice analog mixer with 16 tracks to the DAW via usb, but that seems too good to be true.

I too hate the idea of reconnecting things all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Try being very close to the mic. SM-57s sound really different if you get up close to them. A condenser will sound really different, be a bit less sensitive to positioning, pick up a lot more nuances (and background noise), and might be more to your liking. 57s are very directional, hard to overload, and a bit unforgiving about technique. If you move the audio source a bit, it will be noticeable. You can use this to great effect, or find it really annoying.

From what I've read, and some experience, 57s are good at micing guitar amps and some drums, but they aren't most people's mic of choice for vocals.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Allen & Heath ZED-R16? I don't know what they go for used, but I wasn't offered much for mine when I was thinking of trading it in.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

It doesn't feel cheaply built. I was generally pretty happy with it, but I've never gotten it to work over Thunderbolt since buying a Mac with no firewire port. I pretty much used it as an input device, and just used the mixer features to apply EQ and send to effects. I was never unhappy with the sound quality, and the driver seemed decent when I had firewire on my machine.

Pros:
16 simultaneous input channels
A&H mic preamps are pretty decent
4-band EQ
Reliable
Usable as standalone analog mixer

Cons:
Doesn't seem rack-mountable
Short faders, they say
Firewire over Thunderbolt works for others, never for me
4 sends, want 6
Faders not motorized

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

JamesKPolk posted:

Can't speak to the PCI side but the main issue w/ Thunderbolt and Firewire is that Thunderbolt busses usually don't give things enough power. But if your interface powers itself, as of now (and for the forseeable future) an adapter will work without issue.

Unless it doesn't. I just gave up on an Allen & Heath zedr16. The guy I gave it to couldn't get it to work on Windows either. It worked fine for me until I upgraded my Mac to one with no firewire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I have an M4. Haven’t used it on Windows but it has been really solid on a Mac.