Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm completely new to audio interfaces. I want to play my bass and guitar (mostly bass) through something like amplitube or guitar rig, record bits and pieces, and generally mess around making some drumbeats and stuff to play to. I've been loving around with Rocksmith (and their cable) but it's been an overall crap experience and I don't really want to play a game, I just want to play bass.

I was thinking about picking up a Scarlett interface, but there's a lot of talk about latency, and that's a big turnoff. So from reading this thread and various reviews and stuff, it looks like if I pick up a Komplete Audio 6, I'll not only get a good (hopefully non-laggy) interface, but also the software I need to play/record and maybe make some electronic drums or whatever. Is that a good choice given what I'm planning on using it for?

Also, I'll be plugging into computer speakers for now, and if I've understood this thing correctly, it will just act as a soundcard and all I need to do is pick up a 2 x 1/4" to 1x 3.5mm cable. Right?

Future plans are to pick up some mid-range monitors, but for now it's going to be computer speakers + Audiotechnica M50s. One more question - does plugging in headphones mute the main output? Or is there a way to change the output from main to just headphones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Have you tried using a powered USB hub? You should be able to find a cheap one for 15-20 bucks.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Radiapathy posted:

So look, I had a hell of a time with my Komplete Audio 6. It's been several years so I can't remember the exact symptoms, but I remember it virtually not working at all when plugged into a USB 3 port, and then having a different issue when it was plugged into USB 2. My experiences were not unique, judging by a years-long thread on the NI Forums on the subject. I think that interface pulls a little more juice and/or bandwidth over USB than it's supposed to, and when a USB bus is overloaded you can have some weird behavior. I think someone mentioned a powered hub already. I'd try that too.

That was almost exactly the experience I had trying to get mine to work right. There's definitely some kind of power problem with the KA6, either it draws more than the USB spec, or (IMHO more likely) it's right on the maximum for the spec and most computers' USB power handling isn't perfect.

It was intermittently working on Windows 7 when plugged into a USB 3 port.

It was mostly working on Windows 7 when plugged into a USB 2 port.

It was almost perfect on Windows 7 when plugged into a powered hub plugged into a USB 2 port or when it was the only USB device plugged in anywhere on the computer.

It was perfect on Windows 7 when plugged into a powered hub plugged into a USB 2 port, after I disabled USB 3 in the BIOS.

That last step wasn't necessary for me with windows 10. Don't ask me for details because it's a bit beyond me, but apparently windows 7 handled USB 3 a bit weirdly and that changed with windows 10.

E: That said, I love the KA6 now that it's working.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 10, 2017