Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I've had a couple of PreSonus units, the FireStudio Mobile, Firestudio and the FireBox (I think I got those right anyway) and have to say they've all had really nice pre's, quiet and solid construction with great driver support. I don't think you can really go wrong with one of their pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

ShaneB posted:

I snagged a Komplete Audio 6 today and ran into an issue. Seems like USB audio interfaces don't necessarily play nice with USB wifi adapters
It's not necessarily limited to USB wifi adapters. There are a LOT of issues with Windows and WirelessZeroConf (or something similar) being the primary culprit as I recall. Granted, it's been a long time since I've tried to record on a Windows machine, but the latency issues were the biggest issue. Incidentally (and no, I'm not trying to take this thread in a 'myOS/yourOS' direction) this is a big reason many people consider the MacOS superior for recording, due to CoreAudio.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

What's my 'best' option for a 1U interface that has everything a accessible from the front panel?

I want to add one to one of my guitar rigs for impromptu practice/gig recordings. I don't NEED much more than L/R in bit not having to monkey around during setup is key.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I am really torn between a MOTU 828mkii and a Scarlett 18i20. I know the MOTU is older (and FireWire) but it's supposed to sound really good.

Any opinions? I know at one point that MOTU was supposed to be 'all that' but can someone help me figure out how it stacks up now?

It'll be used on OS X incidentally.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Picked up the MOTU I listed earlier, got a crazy good deal on it and a 12u SKB both in perfect shape.

Works perfectly with the TB - FW adapter and a 9 to 6 pin cable with zero issues.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

ashgromnies posted:

Can you post a pic of how it looks set up? I want to get a rack mount mixer but I can't exactly visualize how it looks when it's set up. Is it awkward to use?

Not at home right now, but it's dead simple to use once you read the manual and familiarize yourself with the controls, only took me a few minutes, here's it last night at practice, laptop is on top.

Edit: TC Electronic G-Major is beneath the MOTU unit.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 is nice, as is the MOTU 828 MkII or MkIII.
I'm loving LOVING my MOTU 828MkII, to the point I'm probably going to snag a couple more and replace some of my other interfaces with them.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Schlieren posted:

I'm sure there was some discussion in the older thread, but would you care to amplify what you liked about them?
Well, forgive my lack of knowledge, I'm less 'recording engineer' and more 'guitar player', but compared to the interfaces I've used the most, the Presonus Firestudio Mobile and the Firebox(?), the Digi003 and a couple of Mboxes, it seems to be much crisper and spacious, much less overall noise when I start layering guitar tracks, the latency seems to be less and the pre's seem to have a much fuller frequency response.

It really seems to make the biggest difference when I'm layering tracks, like I said, especially if I'm recording wet with outboard reverb/delay processing (yes, I know, I'm trying to teach myself to use plugins, but old habits die hard and I like my blinking lights on my racks dammit).

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Schlieren posted:

So I'm thinking a used 8Pre (for drums, ) and something like a GAP Pre73 (guitars, vox, ribbon mics, &c). I'm assuming I can plug the Pre73 into the 8Pre into the computer and not have the 8Pre color the GAP? Is the USB kinda latency-vulnerable? My case has a FW input but I don't think the MB does anywhere, but I suppose I could try out a few TI chipset cards if I get a FW 8Pre...
I'm a little confused here, you asked about USB latency and then mentioned Firewire, which are you using? I know the 8Pre comes in both flavors (I have the FW version).

For the record, the 8Pre and the 828 Mk II work flawlessly with the FW 400 to 6 pin adapters (and also work with zero issues using the lightning -> FW -> 6 pin adapter). Which MB do you have? I'm using a 13" MBP and 15" MBPr, 2012 and 2013 respectively.

The 8Pre shouldn't color it at all really, there'll likely be SOME alteration but it's transparent enough that, unless you're in a hyper-sterile environment, you wouldn't notice at all. I've been thrilled with how transparent the MOTU products have been.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Schlieren posted:

Thanks for the comments :)
Anytime, although I just now realized that you meant 'MotherBoard' instead of 'MacBook', so I promise, I'm not really insane too much.

I can't suggest anything regarding recording on a Windows machine, sorry. I know a lot of my friends say that latency is really not much of an issue with more modern systems these days, so there's that at least.

Yes, what Radiapathy said, the direct monitoring is nice.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

The MOTU 828 series can be run stand alone, the interface takes a little getting used to, but absolutely.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I'm torn and need help:

Looking at a more portable recording rig and I was figuring to pick up a Duet 2 and be done with it until I've read about a (seemingly large amount) series of driver issues and dropouts with them.
Buddy of mine at GC threw an Apollo Twin at me and reading up on it makes it sound superior to the Duet with the exception of it requiring a separate power supply/no bus power.

Anyone got any thoughts, or anything to swing me one way or the other, something I can toss into my bag/pack and pull out in a park or something that works on OS X?

I'm looking for the highest quality PRE's I can possibly get (without tossing money out the window in search of diminishing returns of course) so I'm not interested in a lot of the entry level prosumer stuff.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I was really looking for clean, transparent pre's that don't add much at all of their own thing.

I ended up picking up a Duet 2 off CraigsList for a song yesterday, if it's as bad as I'm afraid at the least I will be able to make a couple of bucks off of it and move on to something else.

I REALLY liked the looks of the Apollo Twin, but it's not bus powered so that kind of knocks it out for now.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

CaptainViolence posted:

Basically: is there any other interface with a bunch of XLR inputs I should check out?
I really like the MOTU 8Pre, it's very similar and has great Pre's.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

I know for a fact (personal use) that Pro Tools 10 and 11 are NOT locked to hardware (other than requiring an iLok of course).

I've very much enjoyed the MOTU 8Pre and the 828mkII myself. Very clear, uncolored pre's and easy to work with.
What platform are you on?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

good jovi posted:

If I get a mixer and connect its output to a small usb audio interface, I'm only going to get a single track in my DAW, right? Isolating each instrument to record separate tracks sounds annoying.
Correct, unless you can run stereo outs from your mixer, in which case you'd have 2.

Depending on the aux sends and/or FX loops, you might could engage in a little fuckery to effectively gain more output channels going into your interface, but basically, no, there'll just be whatever you're running out from your mixer as the output.

quote:

Pickings seem to get a little slim for interfaces with more than 4 inputs, though. The idea of actually having to unplug things and plug other things in is disgusting to me, so I'd like to try and get something with more flexibility. I'm looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, and it seems to fit the bill nicely. I can just plug everything into that, hear everything through my headphones, and the DAW will see them as separate tracks? What's the catch?
There's no catch. Great pre's on the Focusrite stuff, pretty solid build quality, they're nice units.

Sometimes it IS annoying to gently caress around with cabling, but having additional inputs can get pretty expensive quick, so it's a tradeoff at times between how many inputs you want versus the quality of your pre's.

I've had several, for multiple input interfaces I definitely dig the Focusrite pieces, the MOTU's were some I used a lot (I love the 878 line and the 8Pre, plus, they daisy chain via Firewire) but even though it only has 2 inputs, you'd have to pry my Apollo Duo from my cold dead fingers. (Although I felt the same way about my Duet until I used the Apollo.)

Edit: I wasn't even really considering this from the standpoint of synths, I was really only considering the pre's.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

The Apollo is sick as hell, I upgraded from the Apogee Duet 2 and the difference is fantastic. The plugin system is REALLY sweet and the sound quality is amazing.

That said, if you don't need all that, the Scarlett lineup is pretty solid and I've always liked the MOTU stuff as well.

I had to throw together a mini rig for my keyboard onstage and went with a Scarlett and ended up using it to route all my poo poo (Axe-FX, Kaoss Pad, Piano, Synth) through it and have it interfaced with a MacBook Air going straight into the PA and haven't had any issues at all. Built like a tank and stable as sin.