Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Made it through to top 4 by the skin of my teeth. Jinteki pulled through by having two neutral emps at the right time when my opponent thought he was safe and scored a fetal with only four cards in hand. I scored a second turn Clone Retirement that snagged an account siphon that helped a lot too. Cheap ice allowed me to score a gila hands but at the end of the day the biggest thing was just getting lucky and having my opponent not overdraw before each run.

Edit: Pulled it out. Thanks to Fetterkey for the excellent Jinteki deck. That thing was stressful as all hell to play being my first Jinteki PE deck but being able to apply pressure when the Runner isn't prepared is an excellent thing and baiting people into running a Fetal when they think it's a Nisei is a thing of beauty.

Reina did really well as well. The only loss I had with her was to a Fast Advance deck and that was mostly due to having lovely luck with an R&D dig otherwise HB was my best matchup.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

GrandpaPants posted:

Is there a way to play against Jinteki without it feeling like a gigantic battle of attrition? Between Snare, Fetal AI, miscellaneous net damage taken from scored agendas, Hokusai grid, Swordsman, etc., it just feels like I'm trying to race their economy and hope that they don't trash all my valuable cards, like sentry breakers. With Sundew, Celebrity Gift, and even Profiteering, plus the usual standbys of Hedge Fund and whatnot, I can't even rely on the standard Jinteki weakness of bleeding their economy dry.

You might want to try adding some net damage protection.

Personally, I've found that playing a Deus X in Shaper has been extremely helpful against Jinteki. It makes Snare! and Fetal AI much less lethal, can break a surprise Katana (or Janus!), and blocks Junebug regardless of counters. In other matchups, it can still be effective thanks to its ability to block Snare! against Weyland and break most HB big ICE. With SMC to search for it and Clone Chip to recur, Deus X is a nasty card.

Net Shield is much more narrow-- it's really only good against Jinteki: Personal Evolution-- but also more annoying, as it makes Neural EMP much less effective, blocks random damage from scoring agendas, and tends to stick around forever. If Jinteki wins the Chronus Protocol vote and that ID becomes popular, this might become a must-have one-of in Shaper to protect from sniping.

Feedback Filter is IMO significantly worse than either of the above options thanks to the fact that you can't tutor for it, which means you'll need to put more than one copy in your deck. Paying 3 to prevent one damage is also way too much, especially since it means you won't be using it most of the time. While Feedback Filter can stop double-advanced Cerebral Overwriter, other cards are better at that task.

Monolith is not worth it at all for a myriad of reasons.

Outside of Shaper, you're sort of out of luck. Your best bet may be running Public Sympathy or Wyldside, but this doesn't help with the attrition issue.

PaybackJack posted:

Edit: Pulled it out. Thanks to Fetterkey for the excellent Jinteki deck. That thing was stressful as all hell to play being my first Jinteki PE deck but being able to apply pressure when the Runner isn't prepared is an excellent thing and baiting people into running a Fetal when they think it's a Nisei is a thing of beauty.

You're welcome! Did Power Shutdown continue to be a miss for you in later games, or did that turn itself around?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I would imagine building a Criminal deck with liberal reveals and bypasses would frustrate a Jinteki deck to no end. Anarchs, I dunno. Aside from Wyldside, I guess taking the nuclear option and trashing everything with Singularity and Data Leak Reversal might be a thing?

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Siivola posted:

I would imagine building a Criminal deck with liberal reveals and bypasses would frustrate a Jinteki deck to no end. Anarchs, I dunno. Aside from Wyldside, I guess taking the nuclear option and trashing everything with Singularity and Data Leak Reversal might be a thing?

I'm not a fan of Singularity. It kind of seems like a bad Stimhack to me, unless the opponent has Ash and an agenda inside a REALLY heavy server and more money than you-- but realistically, you probably shouldn't be letting things like that happen at all! Like Running Interference, the effect itself is fine, but there are a lot of cards that let you mess with a server and don't cost 4 credits and 2 clicks. Singularity is also significantly more narrow than Running Interference. It's sure good against people who protect their SanSans with traps, though!

Data Leak Reversal is one of many things that strikes me as more cute than good at this stage. Sometimes people get all their cards set up to mill me two times per turn, and my response is usually to just go "okay." Normal decks would probably be getting 2-3 R&D accesses per turn at that stage anyway, and while you can DLR with almost no money, it ends up usually being substantially weaker (and jankier) than standard play, at least IMO.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
With timing rules being what they are, could this card work as written?

quote:

Emergency Disconnect
Hardware
(Trash): End the run. This ability may be used between accesses.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 4, 2014

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Fetterkey posted:

I'm not a fan of Singularity. It kind of seems like a bad Stimhack to me, unless the opponent has Ash and an agenda inside a REALLY heavy server and more money than you-- but realistically, you probably shouldn't be letting things like that happen at all! Like Running Interference, the effect itself is fine, but there are a lot of cards that let you mess with a server and don't cost 4 credits and 2 clicks. Singularity is also significantly more narrow than Running Interference. It's sure good against people who protect their SanSans with traps, though!

Data Leak Reversal is one of many things that strikes me as more cute than good at this stage. Sometimes people get all their cards set up to mill me two times per turn, and my response is usually to just go "okay." Normal decks would probably be getting 2-3 R&D accesses per turn at that stage anyway, and while you can DLR with almost no money, it ends up usually being substantially weaker (and jankier) than standard play, at least IMO.
I meant in the context of dealing with Jinteki specifically. Singularity gets rid of traps, Fetal AIs and inconvenient upgrades like Hokusai handily, and Data Leak Reversal lets you likewise dig into R&D without fear of net damage. After all, the only thing that activates in Archives is Shock, and that deals a maximum of three damage per run.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

PJOmega posted:

With timing rules being what they are, could this card work as written?

No. At 4.5(accessing) you cannot use paid abilities. You could rephrase it to use 'prevent' or 'avoid' though, since if you use those words the effect ignore the paid ability window.

Edit: "[Trash]: Prevent access of cards for the remainder of the run. You may only use this ability after you accessed a card.". That phrasing would also avoid the weird state of the game - you have a successful run at 4.4 in the timing structure, but then you get an EtR at 4.5. Is the run successful or not?

Zerf fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 5, 2014

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

just added myself to the octgn list. i've only played a few games IRL but i'm enjoying sucking at it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Fetterkey posted:

You're welcome! Did Power Shutdown continue to be a miss for you in later games, or did that turn itself around?

Nothing in the finals but I used them in the Top 8/4 to trash a Criminal's Desperado, and a Reina's Clone Chip. The Clone Chip was particularly painful because I'd already sent all three Knights to the discard pile so that left him digging for a breaker while I scored. Overall I think 2 is probably what I'll cut down to because there wasn't a lot of Criminals and I think the card would shine a bit more against them.

On the Reina side I found Deja Vu pretty helpful over Same Old Thing because the $2 was worth saving a click to install the SOT, and I was also running 2 Parasites which was pretty helpful as well. I cut x1 Corroder and x1 Mimic to add those.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
Ugh - there is nothing less fun in this game than getting Account Siphoned over and over again.

gently caress Andromeda.

On the plus side, Reina is sick and tons of fun.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

On the Reina side I found Deja Vu pretty helpful over Same Old Thing because the $2 was worth saving a click to install the SOT, and I was also running 2 Parasites which was pretty helpful as well. I cut x1 Corroder and x1 Mimic to add those.

I've come to the same conclusion re: Deja Vu. I'm also interested in hearing how the Parasites did. I've occasionally really longed for them in Reina, most notably against early Rototurret on R&D. I think I may try swapping my Ice Carvers for Parasites and seeing how that goes.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

hoobajoo posted:

Small point in the OP, Jinteki isn't an Asian corp, it's Japanese. Also I prefer my name without eLiTe caPitAliZation.
No no, it's pronounced "animé", "animé"

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Fetterkey posted:

I've come to the same conclusion re: Deja Vu. I'm also interested in hearing how the Parasites did. I've occasionally really longed for them in Reina, most notably against early Rototurret on R&D. I think I may try swapping my Ice Carvers for Parasites and seeing how that goes.

The parasites were there mostly to hurt Fast Advance players that used Trick of Light instead of SanSan. They were pretty helpful other times though. I used them on occasion to take out Pop-Up Windows. I think the biggest advantage they gave me was being able to accelerate the ice destruction with Bishop at a time when the Corp wasn't expecting it. Overall though I only lost one game out of eight as Reina, against a Trick of Light fast advancer who got a second Ice Wall and(smartly) didn't rez it after I killed the first one with Parasite. Like I said though I lost that game on an unlucky dig so I think they probably still helped slow him down enough. I am considering switching one for a Nerve Agent because 1) that hurts fast advance as well particularly early, and 2) I want to force them to defend HQ when I'm not Account Siphoning so I can be sure to get that money money when I run and not have them sink it all into a Draco or an expensive piece of ice.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
If I have Deep Red out, can I midrun install a Caissa through Clone Chip? On to an ice I mean.

Wookiee Of Doom
Jul 16, 2006
I also wanted to chime in about Fetterkey's Jinteki deck. I ran it a couple of weeks ago in a local tournament with 14 people, it went 3-1. The one loss it had was very close, I was only one point away from winning. The deck is very effective, I often stripped a runner of his rig preventing him from running my barriers. It was fun seeing how frustrated my opponents were getting, as they watched their data suckers, fairies and corroders go to the heap. Power Shutdown is a money card, but I don't think I need to tell any of you that.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

SuperKlaus posted:

If I have Deep Red out, can I midrun install a Caissa through Clone Chip? On to an ice I mean.

You sure can! Having a Knight ready to be cloned onto unrezzed ICE in the middle of a run lets you be really aggressive.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Poopy Palpy posted:

HB teaches many of the same lessons, but people are less likely to be upset and unwilling to try again if they lose because an Ichi or AgSec took wiped out their rig than if they get flatlined by a Katana or Junebug and lose immediately with no recourse. Plus, the leaky bioroids let the runner go running more often, rather than a face full of Jinteki Ice scaring them away from running at all.

At Gencon, I talked to two serious gamer friends who tried Netrunner and HATED it.

They played two games, switching sides. In the first game, the Runner flatlined on turn 1 to a Snare! in HQ. In the second game, the Runner flatlined on turn 3 to a Neural Katana into a Snare!. After that, they decided it was a "dumb, luck-based game" and shelved it.

I talked them into giving it another shot on the basis that that really wasn't a typical experience and a skilled player can easily play around ambushes, but it left me wondering how many other new players pick up the game, try the starter decks, and hate it. Using Jinteki for that was a really bad call.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Avasculous posted:

At Gencon, I talked to two serious gamer friends who tried Netrunner and HATED it.

They played two games, switching sides. In the first game, the Runner flatlined on turn 1 to a Snare! in HQ. In the second game, the Runner flatlined on turn 3 to a Neural Katana into a Snare!. After that, they decided it was a "dumb, luck-based game" and shelved it.

I talked them into giving it another shot on the basis that that really wasn't a typical experience and a skilled player can easily play around ambushes, but it left me wondering how many other new players pick up the game, try the starter decks, and hate it. Using Jinteki for that was a really bad call.

Yeah, nature of Jinteki's "instant win" buttons makes it a horrible demo deck.

The decks I put together for demo nights have a few rules.

1.) General strategy: No Big Dig, no pure Fast Advance, and 100% no Flatlining. Flatlining adds a good angle of strategy to the game but it is a very negative play experience for new players.

2.) Encourage the Runner to run. Desperado, Inside Job, Maker's Eye, Stimhack, and Dirty Laundry. The Runner's hand should be full of cards in their hand that say "make a run" and cards that reward running. Cards that can make running dangerous (John Masanori) are not included.

3.) No AI breakers. Learning how individual breakers deal with individual ice is a hurdle for new players. I've often seen new players get very confused when faced with two different types of ICE on a server due to believing that you only run with one breaker per run.

4.) The Corp deck is made with the explicit understanding that when I am demoing that all ICE will be played face up with a token denoting whether it is 'rezzed' or 'unrezzed' in the first game. This allows me to teach Corp theory while allowing the new player to play as the Runner. Then when the decks are switched you teach them that they get to put all the ICE face down.

5.) Explain what you're doing when playing. Your goal while demoing isn't to win. Winning would be easy. You're trying to get a player into the game and that requires an enjoyable play experience. If you've ever played Uplink, consider your demoing to be the Intersec, baby's first lesson in hacking. The demoee should win, as losing while trying to learn mechanics is a very unfun experience.

6.) Minimize expansion cards. Having a few expansion cards is alright, especially to shore up issues. If you make your decks out of a majority expansion cards, then it can be very intimidating if the player wants to pick up the game then and there.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I just got Netrunner for Xmas and am about to try it for the first time tonight with some friends. Without any time or knowledge to build demo decks, would you recommend something like default Shaper vs. default HB or Weyland?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, those ought to work. Like people upthread have been saying, default Jinteki is not a fun first-time experience (the deck basically kills one player or the other) and default NBN is just bad. Core-only Anarchs are really hard to get working because it hinges on installing all the programs, while the core-only Criminal... Actually looks really strong. Huh. Core Shaper is probably the best bet anyhow.

A thing about Bioroid ice that kept tripping my friends up when I was teaching them: You don't need an icebreaker to spend clicks to break their subroutines.

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004
I recently placed first at a 10-person Netrunner tourney at Twenty Sided Store in Brooklyn. I'm going to chalk it up to a fluke; I was playing substandard decks and my winning record was 5 wins, 2 losses, 1 tie so I imagine the other players were off their game also. Regardless, I believe I'll keep the nice playmat.

Typical Atman-Datasucker R&D lock deck, with program recursion and Parasite for the worst ice and for Swordsman. This deck was pretty solid, but I wasn't quite expecting all the Power Shutdown and I definitely suffered for it. Raymond Flint was excellent, not for the Bad Publicity accesses but because it's a paid-ability expose. I would play Raymond on a turn when I had a spare click, then use him later on a double-advanced card with four clicks left to break in. I imagine it also defused a lot of traps, since no Corp wants to IAA a Junebug or Aggressive Secretary knowing I have an expose ready and waiting. Also, I still really don't like Professional Contacts even if people have turned sweet on him.

This deck was a lot of fun to play, and surprisingly effective. I rarely created an iced-up remote, and all of my money-generating assets were played naked and facedown to compel the runner to waste clicks checking every remote server. Since I never had to ice a remote, it was easy to keep my central ice rezzed and build up enough cash reserves to Biotic Labor the first Astroscript, after which the rest of the agendas flow pretty easily. On one occasion, a Runner essentially bankrupted himself trashing all the assets he could access, after which I quickly built a Popup-Chimera-Astroscript server and scored it without even needing a Biotic Labor. I'm also a very big fan of using either a Biotic Labor or a scored Astroscript to score a Breaking News with a click to spare for either Closed Accounts or trashing a loaded up Kati Jones. The big strength of this deck, and of NBN generally I think, isn't quite that it's fast - it's that NBN can change the game's tempo on a dime, either bankrupting the Runner out of nowhere or insta-scoring an Astroscript and chaining the rest of its agenda points in the following turns. I really wanted Muckraker to work, but with the best and most popular Runners starting with 1 link I never felt like it was a good rez.

Kerrek fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 7, 2014

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

PJOmega posted:

Yeah, nature of Jinteki's "instant win" buttons makes it a horrible demo deck.

The decks I put together for demo nights have a few rules.

1.) General strategy: No Big Dig, no pure Fast Advance, and 100% no Flatlining. Flatlining adds a good angle of strategy to the game but it is a very negative play experience for new players.

2.) Encourage the Runner to run. Desperado, Inside Job, Maker's Eye, Stimhack, and Dirty Laundry. The Runner's hand should be full of cards in their hand that say "make a run" and cards that reward running. Cards that can make running dangerous (John Masanori) are not included.

3.) No AI breakers. Learning how individual breakers deal with individual ice is a hurdle for new players. I've often seen new players get very confused when faced with two different types of ICE on a server due to believing that you only run with one breaker per run.

4.) The Corp deck is made with the explicit understanding that when I am demoing that all ICE will be played face up with a token denoting whether it is 'rezzed' or 'unrezzed' in the first game. This allows me to teach Corp theory while allowing the new player to play as the Runner. Then when the decks are switched you teach them that they get to put all the ICE face down.

5.) Explain what you're doing when playing. Your goal while demoing isn't to win. Winning would be easy. You're trying to get a player into the game and that requires an enjoyable play experience. If you've ever played Uplink, consider your demoing to be the Intersec, baby's first lesson in hacking. The demoee should win, as losing while trying to learn mechanics is a very unfun experience.

6.) Minimize expansion cards. Having a few expansion cards is alright, especially to shore up issues. If you make your decks out of a majority expansion cards, then it can be very intimidating if the player wants to pick up the game then and there.

So I've been finding myself demoing the game to a lot of my gamer friends. These are the demo decks I've been using to show them the game. I'm definitely going to be taking some of your recommendations in, I especially like the idea of playing ICE face up, since this can cause a lot of frustration. I tend to fall on the side of teaching the runner side first, because it doesn't involve so much bluffing, tempo control, and capitalizing on openings. But, I have noticed, and this is partly on my table, that the runners still tend to be very cautious with the game.

I don't think point 3 is strictly necessary, Crypsis or Darwin both demonstrate that AI breakers are more versatile, but also more costly and vulnerable than base breakers. I might not present a new player with Atman, because it works differently than many other breakers, or Wyrm (first, because its too expensive to let the player feel like they've got a good card, and because its strength drain is adds a strange complication to players that are familiar with something like MTG)

These decks are designed to showcase as many mechanics as possible, and also keep free of especially complicated cards. I'm also looking to keep these decks somewhat flavorful, the runner should play cards that do hackery things, and the corp should get to be a ruthless corp. This is in part achieved by my DMing the action of the game to provide context. They do have the faults of having little dedicated strategy, and the corp suffers from a lot of singleton cards. I've run these decks against each other several times, and they're functional, but could really be improved on (although I suspect this would only come at the cost of their broad showcasing of the game.) I've noticed that they tend not to have close games, which I'm not sure how to resolve.

Runner:
Noise Newbie (45 cards)

Noise: Hacker Extraordinaire

Event (7)
2 Deja Vu
1 Levy AR Lab Access •••
1 Stimhack
3 Sure Gamble

Hardware (7)
2 Cyberfeeder
2 Dyson Mem Chip
2 Grimoire
1 Plascrete Carapace

Resource (12)
2 Ice Carver
1 Joshua B.
2 Kati Jones
2 Liberated Account
1 Personal Workshop ••••
2 Raymond Flint
1 Sacrificial Construct
1 Wyldside

Icebreaker (9)
2 Corroder
2 Crypsis
1 Deus X
2 Ninja ••••
2 Yog.0

Program (10)
2 Datasucker
1 Djinn
2 Medium
2 Nerve Agent
3 Parasite

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

Corp:
Haas Newbie v2 (45 cards)

Haas-Bioroid: Stronger Together

Agenda (10)
1 Accelerated Beta Test
1 Corporate War
1 Director Haas' Pet Project
1 Mandatory Upgrades
2 Priority Requisition
1 Private Security Force
1 Profiteering
1 Project Ares
1 Project Vitruvius

Asset (9)
2 Adonis Campaign
1 Director Haas
2 Eve Campaign
1 Isabel McGuire
2 Jackson Howard ••
1 Project Junebug

Upgrade (3)
1 Ash 2X3ZB9CY
1 Awakening Center
1 Corporate Troubleshooter

Operation (5)
3 Hedge Fund
2 Oversight AI ••••

Barrier (6)
1 Heimdall 1.0
1 Heimdall 2.0
3 Wall of Static
1 Wotan

Code Gate (6)
2 Enigma
2 Viktor 1.0
2 Viktor 2.0

Sentry (6)
1 Archer ••
1 Ichi 1.0
1 Ichi 2.0
1 Janus 1.0
2 Swordsman ••

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kerrek posted:

Raymond Flint was excellent, not for the Bad Publicity accesses but because it's a paid-ability expose. I would play Raymond on a turn when I had a spare click, then use him later on a double-advanced card with four clicks left to break in. I imagine it also defused a lot of traps, since no Corp wants to IAA a Junebug or Aggressive Secretary knowing I have an expose ready and waiting.

I dunno, isn't it better to spend an Infiltration and trade your click that turn for the three clicks and 2 credits the corp spent install-advancing?

Can a given copy of Pawn target and install itself from heap after trashing, per Scavenge?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

SuperKlaus posted:

Can a given copy of Pawn target and install itself from heap after trashing, per Scavenge?

I think the reason that Scavenge works like that is because the trashing is part of the cost, not part of the effect. So it's two distinct timing events.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

ZorajitZorajit posted:

So I've been finding myself demoing the game to a lot of my gamer friends. These are the demo decks I've been using to show them the game. I'm definitely going to be taking some of your recommendations in, I especially like the idea of playing ICE face up, since this can cause a lot of frustration. I tend to fall on the side of teaching the runner side first, because it doesn't involve so much bluffing, tempo control, and capitalizing on openings. But, I have noticed, and this is partly on my table, that the runners still tend to be very cautious with the game.

I don't think point 3 is strictly necessary, Crypsis or Darwin both demonstrate that AI breakers are more versatile, but also more costly and vulnerable than base breakers. I might not present a new player with Atman, because it works differently than many other breakers, or Wyrm (first, because its too expensive to let the player feel like they've got a good card, and because its strength drain is adds a strange complication to players that are familiar with something like MTG)

The main issue I've found with AI breakers is that they're confusing when compared to normal breakers when learning the game. Much like flatlining they occupy an important position for the game but can be difficult to wrap around. Also since we will be swapping decks I'd rather they not have to worry about me dropping an AI breaker on the followup game.

As for Runners being cautious at first, it'll happen even with 100% knowledge. It happens with every game, knowing when and how to attack is actually relatively high tier knowledge.

Once the draft IDs come out I might use them to make 30 card demo decks. I've also been experimenting with designing strictly "demo IDs" for teaching purposes. Probably IDs that give incentives for playing aggressively as a Runner (or simply using Gabe), and building up ICE for corp. A pair like...

quote:

Dade "Zero Cool" Murphy

click: Gain 2 credits. Use this ability only if you made a run this turn.

30/∞

and

quote:

InterNIC Testing Facility

click: Install a piece of ICE, ignoring install costs.

30/∞

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004

SuperKlaus posted:

I dunno, isn't it better to spend an Infiltration and trade your click that turn for the three clicks and 2 credits the corp spent install-advancing?

That's true actually, you do give up the opportunity to scuttle a trap the Corp already spent time and money on. I only exposed a single Junebug with Raymond, and that was against a Jinteki deck playing the advanced remote server shell game so he couldn't avoid it.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

Kerrek posted:

The big strength of this deck, and of NBN generally I think, isn't quite that it's fast - it's that NBN can change the game's tempo on a dime, either bankrupting the Runner out of nowhere or insta-scoring an Astroscript and chaining the rest of its agenda points in the following turns. I really wanted Muckraker to work, but with the best and most popular Runners starting with 1 link I never felt like it was a good rez.

This for me is definitely one of the more attractive things about nbn right now. As an interesting experiment in fast scoring there's this deck over on boardgame geek that shows off the power of an accelerated diag jackson howard power shutdown interns combo. The thing I find interesting about this deck is not just how it mirrors the doomsday ad-nauseam tendrils deck from mtg in creating interesting recurring states to eventually combo out, but that it also demonstrates how with a limited package of mostly-playables nbn as a deck can score multiple agendas off of the advantage generated by astro script and its other tools.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Pan Ache posted:

This for me is definitely one of the more attractive things about nbn right now. As an interesting experiment in fast scoring there's this deck over on boardgame geek that shows off the power of an accelerated diag jackson howard power shutdown interns combo. The thing I find interesting about this deck is not just how it mirrors the doomsday ad-nauseam tendrils deck from mtg in creating interesting recurring states to eventually combo out, but that it also demonstrates how with a limited package of mostly-playables nbn as a deck can score multiple agendas off of the advantage generated by astro script and its other tools.

:stare: This is the last piece my HBFA deck needed to work.

I'm running this currently:

Haas-Bioroid: Engineering the Future

Agenda (11)
3 Accelerated Beta Test
1 Director Haas' Pet Project
3 Efficiency Committee
1 Gila Hands Arcology
3 Project Vitruvius

Asset (3)
3 Jackson Howard

Operation (17)
2 Archived Memories
3 Biotic Labor
3 Green Level Clearance
3 Hedge Fund
3 Restructure
3 Shipment from SanSan

Barrier (7)
2 Bastion
1 Heimdall 1.0
3 Wall of Static
1 Wotan

Code Gate (6)
2 Enigma
3 Pop-up Window
1 Tollbooth

Sentry (5)
2 Caduceus
1 Grim
1 Ichi 1.0
1 Rototurret

And it works very well against Criminal, I was able to come back from being Siphoned multiple times.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pan Ache posted:

The more I mess around with Accelerated Diagnostics the more I truly think that Accelerated Diagnostics is an unhealthy card. Outside of Jackson Howard/Power Shutdown combos it is a card you would rarely if ever play. It is, by its very nature, an unhealthy card.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

PJOmega posted:

The more I mess around with Accelerated Diagnostics the more I truly think that Accelerated Diagnostics is an unhealthy card. Outside of Jackson Howard/Power Shutdown combos it is a card you would rarely if ever play. It is, by its very nature, an unhealthy card.

I have seen it in Jinteki decks that run Precog to help them pull off big Econ swings with it. I do think for Operation heavy HB decks it can see normal play. HB has ways built in to pull back cards that get trashed by it and some times you just want to grab more cards and use what you can in HBFA decks. If you are looking to top deck a Biotic Labor Accelerated Diagnostics lets you look at your top 3 for one and still be able to use it that turn to score.

I agree the combo nature of the card is kind of silly but I don't think it is really unhealthy. You are going to lose far more games looking for the combo then you will win with it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Right, I have a friendly mini-tournament thing and I need to update my Weyland operation econ/T&B deck that hasn't been touched since pre-C&C:

It's mostly my ICE selection that bugs me. I have too many early stop-gaps and only Archer is able to threaten late-game runners, if that. It's way too leaky, and I don't even have a good way of advancing Ice Wall.

I'm considering dropping the Ravens for Tollbooths since no one ever accepts the tag anyway, then dropping Ice Wall for Hive and either Wall of Static or Enigma for Bastion.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing for a straightforward T&B?

Oh, and the Foxfires are there since my meta loves running Xanadu/Compromised Employee.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

If no runner ever makes it past your Data Ravens then it sounds like you have a pretty good place to stash an advanced Posted Bounty until you have enough Scorched Earths ready to blow them off the face of the planet...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

YithianHistorian posted:

If no runner ever makes it past your Data Ravens then it sounds like you have a pretty good place to stash an advanced Posted Bounty until you have enough Scorched Earths ready to blow them off the face of the planet...

It's more that they'll facecheck, then disconnect when they notice it's a Data Raven, and just install the right breaker then run first click on it next turn (or third click this turn) and immediately ditch the tag. At best, it buys me a single turn which, while nice, isn't really something I feel justifies having so much leaky ICE.

That said, half the people I'll be playing against are new, so they might choose to take the tag anyway. I might keep them in this week and see if I need to swap them later.

Any thoughts on Hive/Bastion?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 7, 2014

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's more that they'll facecheck, then disconnect when they notice it's a Data Raven, and just install the right breaker then run on it next turn (or at the end of this turn, even). At best, it buys me a single turn which, while nice, isn't really something I feel justifies having so much leaky ICE.

That said, half the people I'll be playing against are new, so they might choose to take the tag anyway. I might keep them in this week and see if I need to swap them later.

Change the Ravens and 1 Archived Memories to Snares. Laugh as the net damage isn't stopped by plascrete, and you finish him with SE.

Bastion's not bad, especially if Atman is a worry. Haven't tried Hive, but it just feels like a FA card, since the late game is where Weyland needs the most help.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

You probably know this but Data raven still gives a tag even when broken since the top card text is not a subroutine.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Generally only desperate/inexperienced/hobo with a chainsaw players run on the 4th click unless they know you can't afford to kill them.

Yithian
Jun 19, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's more that they'll facecheck, then disconnect when they notice it's a Data Raven, and just install the right breaker then run first click on it next turn (or third click this turn) and immediately ditch the tag. At best, it buys me a single turn which, while nice, isn't really something I feel justifies having so much leaky ICE.

The beauty of Data Raven isn't that it lets you drop a Scorched Earth on a runner (because it's pretty much not going to do that unless they're crazy or desperate), it's that it costs the runner an extra click and two credits to run on that server and all but guarantees that they won't run there on their fourth click. It also pretty much guarantees that Dedicated Response Teams get to shoot them in the face.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Pan Ache posted:

Update: i just spent three hours trying to play this deck, and you have to be loving rain man. I'm this close to figuring it out, and you're gonna find me drilling into my own brain like the idiot from "Pi".

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Deviant posted:

Update: i just spent three hours trying to play this deck, and you have to be loving rain man. I'm this close to figuring it out, and you're gonna find me drilling into my own brain like the idiot from "Pi".

Have you been playing it physically, or on OCTGN? I find the combos much easier to resolve when played physically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

PJOmega posted:

Have you been playing it physically, or on OCTGN? I find the combos much easier to resolve when played physically.

Physically, but his article is so weirdly written, it neglects to mention when you need an extra click to make things work until the very end. The deck is way too fiddly.

• Locked thread