Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
New to Ron & Fez? Check out my stupid YouTube playlist!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVQkEl0-Qf5bgpzUOoNkhyya66eH16mey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

yourafagpleasedie posted:

Could have fooled me that this was the O&A thread.

New thread, same as the last.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Can somebody email this to the show for me? I'd do it myself but they never respond to anything I send them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lky8FarN36U

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Well, this is something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYsEAEGfWUI

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Birthday Cake posted:

Here's the changes to the show happening next week:

https://twitter.com/OpieRadio/status/419496999302352898

The great Tim Sabien at work.

I can't imagine the channel lasting long in that state.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Untagged posted:

Davey Mac Sports Program going on an indefinite hiatus.

Does that include the riotcast version?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ducktales Blogger posted:

I'm new to the Ron&Fez show... My introduction was this year's jocktober, then the blueberry incident, and then listening to the link in the OP and then a few other older recordings that I found on youtube and... What exactly is Fez's deal? When and why did he basically shut down and stop participating on the show? Was it before or after he came out?

Any insight into Fez would be helpful

Fez has always been a weird duck. His problems first appeared on air in 2002 when they were at WNEW, things began to amplify when they moved to Washington DC (2004?) and he went completely off the rails when he had his first heart attack a few weeks after their first XM broadcast.

He's never been able to get a handle on it after that point and it's been worked into the character of Fez Whatley.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bunky posted:

What the gently caress. I don't listen because I'm not a sports dude or what ever but Dave is such a team player. Give the loving guy a break for once. What a poo poo company.

Hey man, times is tough. They just couldn't afford Dave's $500 a month salary anymore.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ChristianDB posted:

500? He said he got 50 bucks a week for that show. Often he'd say that getting into the city was losing him money.

I could have sworn he said $125 a show after he quit Ron & Fez.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I forgot all about Ron & Fez starting at 12.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

eightysixed posted:

Less than an hour to go. I wonder what'll happen.

Cow & Chicken intro with some horrible quality funk song replacing North American Scum.

Wow, that was anti-climatic.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
New person...

MikeyD = nixed by Fez
East Side Dave = working on his own show
Black Earl = crazy, denied by management
Shelb = creep, lied on his application
Dana = decided to stay in college

TL posted:

Yeah! Classic Shelb!

Nice!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
"This show will be the meltdown show and this historic photo will be the before picture" - Ronnie B

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 6, 2014

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

UncleMonkey posted:

Fezzatorial! Not bad so far.

It was terrible. Thrown together, unfunny and not in the Fez voice.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Holy gently caress, Fez gave Ron a pack of matches that Ron gave him the first night they met twenty years ago.

Oh god, he framed them :gonk:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I can't believe that this lived up to the hype. This is the most insane thing ever.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The picture is even better.

I like to imagine Fez walking up and down the frame aisle looking for the perfect one that'd make Ronnie's face light up.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

spudsbuckley posted:

That gift really isn't all that bad.

It's a bit of sentimentality from a guy who spends most of his existence rapped up in his own nonsense so that's something.

It's really something you have to hear the story to get the full context.

Ron was just some guy doing standup at some mall. He came up to Fez's table, all hosed up, after the show to try to pick up Fez's friend.
They didn't know each other. They weren't colleagues or co-workers. They didn't work together until years later.

For Fez to pick up a pack of matches on that night and hold on to them for twenty+ years and then think it was an appropriate gift to give Ron...he's legit crazy.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Plant Kingdom posted:

By the way, I haven't heard Ron and Fez in maybe 4 months. Is it basically just Ron and Pepper like it has been for a while ... is it still in stasis? Did Black Earl show up lately or anything else interesting like that happen? Any huge guests? Someone sum it up again for me. (Yes, I read the OP)

They moved channels.
It's a cluster gently caress.
Pepper has been moved into the Al Dukes/Black Earl incompetent producer role.
Classic Shelb has been hired full time.
Fez talks more but it isn't funny or in the Fez voice.
There's a laundry list of comics scheduled to come in but nobody takes Ron's lead so it will degenerate into the same format of interviews/sports talks.

That's about it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cucktales Blogger posted:

I was listening to old Ron & Fez bits on youtube and heard Ron mention that he isn't/wasn't allowed to do live reads. What's the story with that?

CanadianJericholeaf posted:

IIRC, the Identity Guard one is what got him pulled for a long time from the live reads.

Also, I don't know why it's not on YouTube but

It is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9L6MRL74Vo

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TL posted:

There's no bigger fan of Ron than me, and I get how frustrating it can be, but if I wanted to hear someone passive aggressively poo poo all over the staff I'd just go into work. It's really annoying.

That's been his MO since WNEW.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

eightysixed posted:

What are we talking about here?

Steven Knight basically chopped full O&A shows into their own individual bitesized chunks and he had it up on his YouTube the day of.

Sirius struggles to put shows on demand (where you're stuck with the original pad data to guide you) or push things to Audible.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ha, I'm amazed that they got an old school comedy pyramid off the ground. Either Vito is killing it on the phones or most of the hayseed trucker crowd O&A draws didn't make the transition.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

returnh posted:

When you truly begin to understand the Ron and Fez show, you will realize the truth: there was no cat.

Church.

The original origin story of Skippy was it was a feral cat Fez found in New York. During the Skippy talks episode, Fez hosed up and said he bought it (or got it from a shelter)

I don't know where Fez got that one cat from for the photo but I doubt it was his. Remember this is the same guy who hid moving from retard island for over a year.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

AndrewP posted:

Okay, so what cat was in studio during the "cookie" show?

That's the cat in the photo I was talking about :)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

JFC posted:

Ron really sounded like a cunty bitch today.

What happened? I haven't grabbed it from Audible yet.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I got to say, the two young comics who came in today were really good. They were fast paced and doing the style of radio Ron wants to do better than him.

More guests like them and less of the tuna jew.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

UncleMonkey posted:

The battery in Fez's smoke detector is dead and it's making that loud chirping sound and Fez has just been ignoring it and living with it because he says he can't reach it.

He's been living with it like that since Christmas break. :psyduck:

That was the only redeeming thing of today's show. But man, it was glorious to hear Ron stumble onto all the problems with Fez's apartment as Pepper/Shelb loving lost it in the background.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CanadianJericholeaf posted:

Even if they carny it up, I'm interested in seeing how they weasel out of it. The last two weeks of callers will be pretty epic.

I wouldn't be surprised if Fez got fired but still showed up for the show every day.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cromulent posted:

but Jimmy actually had Thanksgiving with Hoffman this past year.

Oh boy, I can't wait for an hour of Jimmy talking about addiction tomorrow.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

An Enormous Boner posted:

They sound wildly different. What stories reminded you of college drinking?

He got drunk and acted like a douchey teenager because he was one. "I got drunk and walked around with a knife. I got drunk and called the FBI." I got drunk on Christmas day after getting in a fight with my family, vomited black poo poo all over my friend's bathroom, blacked out in his hallway for a few hours and then I spent the next three days vomited every hour on the hour. Doesn't mean I was an alcoholic, just that I was an immature idiot.

It's a good thing he doesn't drink because he probably would take it too far like everything else in his life but the fact he pretends like he knows being an alcoholic/addict because he did some stupid things while drunk and went to rehab at 17 is annoying as poo poo.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

WhiteHowler posted:

For the folks who listen to Ron and Fez via Audible, how quickly do the episodes generally go up for download? Does the Audible mobile app support automatic downloads?

I really don't want a SiriusXM subscription anymore, but I've listened to some of the R&F shows since they moved channels (I used to listen way back before the merger), and they've been great, even/especially when Ron is being an angry dick.

Most of the time, they're up by 6 PM EST. Some times, there's an issue with Friday's show where it doesn't go up until the weekend or Monday but it's getting rare.

Don't know about the mobile app.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

UncleMonkey posted:

What's in the Box? is literally the worst thing to ever happen to radio. Nothing makes me bail on the show faster than when they say they are playing that for approximately the nine billionth time. Oh awesome, everyone yelling the name of the game 25 times every 30 seconds. That's totally funny and not irritating in the least! :rolleyes:

You don't know humor, my friend...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqsxdLL4Hl8

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TL posted:

So my XM sub is about to run out. I just can't get myself into O&A or R&F these days, and since the music stations don't do much for me, I'm thinking I'm going to give up on the platform for awhile. I'll still check the thread, but I think I need an extended break, because I'm not finding a lot of enjoyment in either show right now. It's been fun, guys.

Did you hear Rory Scovel on yesterday's Ron & Fez? It was really, really strong after an abysmal first half of Olympics chat/hashtag contest.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Today's Ron & Fez was strong. Fez is homeless rumor spreading through the hallways, Fez getting stuck on top of his dresser trying to fix his smoke detector, Pepper/Shelby giving him poo poo, Boy George Jr, What's In The Box getting even more terrible, Fez getting increasingly pissed as the show goes on to the point where he backslides into Old Angry Fez. Granted, I'm only an hour in so I guess it could all fall apart.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anybody else think that Opie has a big painkiller issue or is sleeping like 2 hours a night? He locks onto one person in a conversation and he doesn't get any humor unless that person says it. He either steamrolls the laughs or he waits until there's an opening to say what he was planning to say beforehand.

But goddamn, did I love Ron pulling back the curtain. Fez's current downward spiral started because a person from sales yelled at him.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Can't wait to hear today's Ron & Fez show. Apparently, Fez had a meltdown and Ron laid the boots into him.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I'm a long time listener and I'm struggling with Rawdog Ron and Fez. What the gently caress happened to Hicks? He left his balls on the O&A channel or something.

I think I heard him say on Davey Mac's show that's he's cut way back on his drinking/drugs.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ChristianDB posted:

although I agree with your sentiment, it's far from great. I see today dan soder is on so that could be a fun show. But the game show 1/10 comics being good is pretty lovely.

I feel like everyone is off. I love Shelby but he's a sniper. Why the gently caress is he in the studio. He should be pip's role. Stanley at #2 mic and Fez in third was great. Let them shoot the poo poo, bring a comic into that nonsense and let them deal. That's why big jay is so great, he sits down with the guys and shoots the poo poo. Makes the mundane super interesting and funny. Gurian stinks, I turned on him. He just cuts off comics and crowbars himself into conversation. I only check out episodes this thread recommends

It's uneven but classic Ron & Fez was the same way. For every classic bit or good roll, there was a Big rear end Simulcast or some terrible nonsense.

Shelby stinks on the board and needs on air time more.
If I had to guess, I think all the prize stuff is to attract new listeners and that even Ron realizes that Gurian is loving terrible radio. Once they make their own connections in the comedy world, they won't need him anymore.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Did he ever gargle Fez's toenails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ransom posted:

Holy poo poo Scott Shannon is both nice and funny.

Isn't he that guy who accidently shot his wife while trying to shoot his dog?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 28, 2014

• Locked thread