Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeedRobots
Jul 18, 2006
feedtherobot.com

ChristianDB posted:

An hour on cakeorn? gently caress this show

Shut your cakehorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeedRobots
Jul 18, 2006
feedtherobot.com

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Ahaha, backpedal on that stern (hoo hoo) conviction, now. That would suddenly be wasting your time, not those initial unprompted paragraphs of bile.

After all, no stand up comedian has ever had to take a dreaded side gig to both make ends meet and further their potential career reach. Nope, if you didn't get there by sheer force of talent and no other job exposure, by gum, you're not for real. I wonder how many of these vaunted t-bowl certified 30 comedians meet that "self-propelled to the top" criteria. Who can honestly claim that, Seinfeld?

I hope Patton Oswalt would be on there as one such list example, because he definitely didn't put in the better part of a decade on a deadeningly unfunny sitcom, until he got a springboard into voicing an animated rat for children. I wonder if fans knew that about him before they started selling out his shows and buying many of his albums??

Jim Norton is a "mediocre" comedian in your eyes and you think he should feel shame because he's used a "sweet radio gig" as a stepping stone. Armed with this knowledge, perhaps you should mail Louis CK and tell him what a lucky fraud this Norton is, and that he should stop being pals with him immediately. You could include a manilla envelope of your sterling printed off posts such as "cry more" and piss poorly justified anonymous internet forum attacks at people you don't know. Swoop right in with that signature t-bowl charm and steal all his walk-on roles! He's so mediocre, how could he stop you!

Wow. Get a load of this Jimmy Norton white knight over here. I'm feeling generous so I'm going to show you how you should have responded to a person's valid discourse:

"Many comedians we consider to be the greatest used exposure from outside the comedy club to get where they are. Patton Oswalt comes to mind as a comedian that is revered by many as one of the greats but really used his near decade long stint on a lovely sitcom and a voice acting gig on a massive film to leverage his name and put asses in seats. So the fact that his role of being incredibly funny on a comedy radio show allowed him to get more people seeing him at comedy clubs and being offered more comedy specials it, well, kind of makes sense."

FeedRobots
Jul 18, 2006
feedtherobot.com
It was just on yesterday's show that he told a story about taking pictures of black dudes selling CDs in Times Square and not letting up even after they acknowledged him doing so.

FeedRobots
Jul 18, 2006
feedtherobot.com

mousetrench posted:

True, but I have to point out that "free speech" is not synonymous with "the first amendment". So when people complain about not having free speech, it doesn't mean that they are complaining about their first amendment rights are being violated or that they are claiming that their company was breaking the law by disciplining them or whatever their situation may be. If your employers will fire you for saying certain things then your free speech is being limited. This is not necessarily a bad thing or a good thing. Whether it's good or bad comes down to the specific circumstances and also to subjective opinion/preference. But it is a pet peeve of mine when people take the "if it's not government prohibited speech then it's not a free speech issue" line.

I'd still say it's not a free speech issue as there was no actual stifling on Sirius' part. They allowed Ant to publish any and all of his thoughts on Twitter - it's just that those published thoughts were contrary to Sirius' best interest (not getting horrific publicity and then losing subscribers and sponsors and then losing money) and they ended a business relationship. If they had prevented him from making those tweets or deleted them without his consent - then yeah, that totally would have been a free speech issue. But if we prevent Sirius from taking action to disassociate themselves from someone that is harming them in some fashion - then we would be limiting Sirius' free speech. I understand that you aren't placing a judgement of right or wrong in such a circumstance, but I think the premise of it being a free speech issue isn't valid unless another person/organization is actually stopping you from expressing something.

FeedRobots
Jul 18, 2006
feedtherobot.com

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Most of the stuff regarding race Anthony is pretty spot on about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UuQAEVLljF4

• Locked thread