Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

HOLY gently caress BUSTA AND DIDDY FOR PASS THE COURVOISIER! I'M DEAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corvus corone
Oct 14, 2012
Is Pharrell sick or something? He sounds really off key, or the sounds is bad.

I've never listened to Empire of the Sun before but their show is awesome.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011
(Ziggy Stardust + Gwar) = Empire of the Sun

Corvus corone
Oct 14, 2012
Snoop dogg too??? He has ALL the cameos tonight.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Holy poo poo, Gwen Stefani. Pharrell is just bringing all these cats.

Still enjoyed Tyler moshing on stage during Lap Dance.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I feel bad for Pharrell his voice is hosed. He just tried to hit a high note and stopped himself and shook his head.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

Pharrell looks so disappointed. I can only imagine how bad that dust is messing up his throat.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Pharrell's got all the guest stars but his set is basically "hope you like paying money to listen to a backtrack".

Woah is he pulling people from out of the audience to come on stage now? hahaha

e: Ouch, that "if you feel" was especially rough :ohdear:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Please get Busta to sing happy and make it the best night ever.

psychicattack
Mar 22, 2003

Ask me why I don't punctuate the last sentence of my post

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Holy poo poo, Gwen Stefani. Pharrell is just bringing all these cats.

Still enjoyed Tyler moshing on stage during Lap Dance.

We were tired and weren't digging the dust kick up and now we missed everything :corsair:

DAMMIT gently caress POO

In my defense I live in an area of ice storms, tornadoes and life threatening hail. That wall of dust/wind was horrible. This is my forth year here and never experienced that. Yes I am a big baby w/e

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well Skrillex's stage setup certainly looks......different than when I saw him a couple years ago :stare:

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Isn't Muse supposed to be on now? And where the hell is Nas?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Bliggers- posted:

Isn't Muse supposed to be on now? And where the hell is Nas?
Nas is on now on Channel 2. Muse is tomorrow night. Skrillex is playing on Channel 1 but for some reason they have the Muse logo showing up as the logo for that channel.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Muse was tonight, they were pretty good.

But gently caress future islands were so good live. Saw him backstage later and we gave each other a head nod. Night was made!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So looks like Jay Z and Diddy came out during Nas's set. Surprised Jay didn't come out for Pharrel's at all but I guess they wanted one last surprise.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

bows1 posted:

Muse was tonight, they were pretty good.

But gently caress future islands were so good live. Saw him backstage later and we gave each other a head nod. Night was made!

future islands was that "oh poo poo they're on" band that filled their set up mid-first song.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Fat Boy Slim was excellent last night, and Empire of the Sun was fun live with all the theatrics.

skeemon
Aug 4, 2007

$ $ $T R A P L O R D $ $ $

What did you guys think of Haim's set? My Song 5 sounded hell of wonky to me but the rest I think they absolutely KILLED. And Danielle has got gams that won't quit :heysexy:

I thought it was pretty cool that Nas pretty much did a straight up Illmatic set. He kept losing his breath but other than that I thought he came out pretty hard for a dude of his age. The Jay-Z guest spot was so cool, too.

I am not a huge fan of Lorde but I watched her set and it was oddly moving. I wept a little bit during "Team". Which is weird because it's like a bleacher-stomping stadium anthem but the way it was presented just destroyed me.

Outkast was kind of disappointing, I hope that Andre gets a little more into things before they come through Denver in august (w/ Diplo and RUN THE JEWELS YEAAAAAH!)

Oh and I am watching all this from home in Denver where it is snowing like a motherfucker :suicide:

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
Just saw some kid lighting up a bowl on the live stream of Big Gigantic before they slowly panned away. Seems about right.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Best sets of weekend 1? Biggest disappointments?

Was super stoked on Outkast for weekend 2, but sounds like they were a huge letdown?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Does Beck have his kid on stage with him playing tambourine? Hahaha

e: Arcade Fire are killin' it as usual :D

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 14, 2014

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Drake showed up with Jhene Aiko, and Slash with Motorhead.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business
Beck's kid is named Cosimo because of course he is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Woah gently caress, Arcade Fire brought out Debbie Harry and her and Regine are singing Heart of Glass :stare:

This rules.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

Don't forget Chance the Rapper bringing out Justin Beiber, highlight imho.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

tonic posted:

Best sets of weekend 1? Biggest disappointments?

Was super stoked on Outkast for weekend 2, but sounds like they were a huge letdown?

Top 5

1. Neutral Milk Hotel - never thought I'd get to see them live, but they sounded perfect and the sun set during their entire performance. Since you aren't allowed to take photo or video of the. The sides screens just showed the setting sun behind the Ferris wheel the whole time. Surreal and incredible.

2. Future islands - so much energy and an amazing crowd. Do not miss.

3. CHVRCHES - dance party midday at the outdoor stage. They sounded spot on live and everyone was dancing

4. Outkast- if only for the first 30 minutes of their set which was perfect

5. Lorde - also great live, even the songs off her album that I didn't quite care for sounded much better in person.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Bonobo overall for me, holy poo poo that was spectacular.

Not enough people knew about the Heineken tent but probably nothing wrong with that. I caught Gaslamp Killer... and he brought out Thundercat and Gza to a crowd of under 100.

Muse was who I flew out to see, and Matt's voice wasn't perfect because of all the dust Saturday. I still had a blast.

Biggest letdowns for me were Outkast (why so many tracks from The Love Below and seeing Killer Mike get cut broke my heart) and Banks (I am not into the Lorde/Lana Del Rey type sound)

New surprises for me were Little Dragon, Jagwar Ma, and Hundred Waters. I've already seen Preservation Hall Jazz Band and Future Islands but seems like people were generally not familiar with them, and those two put on solid sets if you are looking for an act to pass time.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Don't miss Cage the Elephant, even if you don't like their music. The lead singer is a hell of a showman live and LOVES to be in the crowd. At the end of the set this weekend, he was literally standing up on top of the crowd with people holding up his feet with their hands. He then ate it into the crowd, body surfed all the way from the front stage to the back gap, and climbed the lighting rig.

If you like guest stars, Pharrel and Nas were insane. Can't guarantee they'll all be back week 2 but still.

OutKast were still good, even if a little disappointing. But it's early in their tour, they're still working out the kinks.

On the dance side, Glitch Mob was great, Carnage was great -- I'm forgetting a bunch of DJs but really everyone I saw in the Sahara was solid. I even caught about 20 minutes of Skrillex before sprinting to Nas, and while that guy is typically trash, even he was putting up a good set. I'm never going to hate on "Let Me Clear My Throat" mixing into "Jump," I don't care who plays it.

I'm forgetting a ton of good acts because I just got home and I'm exhausted. Lorde's voice is amazing, QOTSA were solid, the Pixies were loud and full of rage. Really this trip was a clusterfuck for me in a few ways (sorry I never made it by the goon camp), but in terms of really solid music from top to bottom, this was one of the best Coachellas I've been to.

(edit) also don't judge anyone who was on late Saturday (Nas, Pharrel) for having breath or voice problems - that sandstorm was pretty fuckin fierce. Not quite as bad as third night last year, but merch was making a killing on selling bandanas because everyone wanted one to wrap around their nose and mouth so they could stop inhaling pounds of dust

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 15, 2014

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

StarkRavingMad posted:

Don't miss Cage the Elephant, even if you don't like their music. The lead singer is a hell of a showman live and LOVES to be in the crowd. At the end of the set this weekend, he was literally standing up on top of the crowd with people holding up his feet with their hands. He then ate it into the crowd, body surfed all the way from the front stage to the back gap, and climbed the lighting rig.

That was the best. Personal highlight.

Dreamlogic
May 11, 2007

This was my first Coachella and it was everything I hoped it would be! My favorite sets:

Day 1
Haim - only saw a couple songs but they seemed on fire and people were really into it
Chromeo - super fun, high energy and great light show, I was pretty stoned by that point and I was enraptured
Woodkid - never heard of this guy but I liked his samples on Spotify so I went, and holy crap I loved this. moody, apocalyptic post-rock, I guess you'd call it, with a fantastic light show and a full percussion and horn section. highly recommended

Day 2
Capital Cities - only knew them from the "Safe and Sound" hit, only went b/c we wanted to get close for Lorde and wasn't expecting much, but I was pleasantly surprised. very fun and danceable, everyone was on their feet, they played a couple of great covers and I liked the original stuff as well
Lorde - was pretty close for this, like 12 rows back and I thought she was great. the amped-up closer of "Team" with everyone singing along and a crazy light show was probably the single best moment of the festival for me
Sleigh Bells - always dependable, just listened from a distance but they sounded great
Mogwai - again great for that "almost too stoned to walk" portion of the evening. unfortunately we left this early for Pharrell which was a mess.

Day 3
the weakest day IMO, everyone's energy was lower and not as many great acts. I enjoyed Lana Del Rey but she didn't blow me away. Beck was great but got cut short. Best of the the day was probably Neutral Milk Hotel at sunset.

No one I saw was really terrible (we left Pharrell before it apparently went to poo poo). Outkast was disappointing in some ways but they still sounded great. Overall an incredible weekend.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I didn't think Pharrell went to poo poo, he was just losing his voice by the end. He acknowledged it and said it was from the sandstorm, and asked the crowd to help him and sing for him. You don't really go to see him anyway, you go for his cavalcade of guest stars and whatnot. I thought it was still a fun performance!

Dreamlogic
May 11, 2007

StarkRavingMad posted:

I didn't think Pharrell went to poo poo, he was just losing his voice by the end. He acknowledged it and said it was from the sandstorm, and asked the crowd to help him and sing for him. You don't really go to see him anyway, you go for his cavalcade of guest stars and whatnot. I thought it was still a fun performance!

Yeah to be fair we left after a couple songs b/c we felt the performance wasn't very interesting and we could barely see anything through the crowd. Just regretted leaving an excellent Mogwai set for that. I said "apparently went to poo poo" cause all the reviews I heard after were negative. And yeah the dust storm had to suck for performers, but Lorde, Sleigh Bells, Muse, etc didn't seem to have any problem dealing with it...

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Honestly my favorite coachella yet

Favorites (not in order and isnt everything I saw)

Friday: shlohmo, bonobo, carvan palace (holy poo poo)

Saturday: Chvrches, washed out, rone, kastle

Sunday: Desert dwellers (holy gently caress they KILLED IT), clasixxx, rudimental (best set of the weekend), little dragon

Did my best to order them: Rudimental, Carvan Palace, Clasixxx, Bonobo, Kastle, Shlohmo, Desert Dwellers, Chvrches

I'm upset it's over, but it was so incredible this year that I am in loving blisssss ahhhhhhh

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Oh yeah, Rudimental god drat that was amazing.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Favorite pic from the weekend:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Just saw the Weekend 2 lineup. The Do Lab looks pretty different, but otherwise, strongly suggest spending time at the Heineken Tent.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
In the previous 3 years I've been to Coachella I've been to the Heineken dome (now called a house I guess) I havent enjoyed it, so I didnt even bother checking out the lineup this year. From what I've read here and on the Coachella forums it sounds like it was indeed pretty amazing this year.

but... I'm going 2015 so I'll give it another shot then!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I recognize maybe six names of the list of performers at the Heineken thing. I definitely want to see MNDR but other than that have no idea. Who in particular would you reccomend?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

foutre posted:

I recognize maybe six names of the list of performers at the Heineken thing. I definitely want to see MNDR but other than that have no idea. Who in particular would you reccomend?

Gaslamp Killer and Thundercat/Gza, Kingdom, UZ, Preservation Hall Jazz Band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Anything stand out about weekend 2? Anyone other than incoherent go?

• Locked thread