Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Assuming you're using a DNC turnout score or clarity or something like that, 70-100 is going to be likely voters who are mostly good targets if you're doing hard persuasion (think targeting swing voters who are very likely to vote), 40-70 is good for targeting base democrats you want to GOTV. In either case you should use a support/party score if available to create the appropriate universe of voters within that turnout range. Can vary some by race, but those are the typical cutoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Fried Chicken posted:

Hey when you are tinkering with cutting VAN lists what rang do you use on your likely voter scale? I've been using 50-100, but I don't know if that is good or not

First, talk to your state party's data person about getting more information about your models. They will have recommendations on how to use the particular model you are using. I will use numbers that tend to be accurate but are not always.

As for your program, what are you trying to do with your lists?

If you're trying to solely find targets for GOTV, you probably don't want to go above 90 on turnout score. Those people are going to vote, so it most likely won't be worth your time to GOTV them anyway. In general, you can probably safely ignore very high dem/very high turnout in general. Between 40-70 turnout is a good range for most programs. Adjust based on volunteer/paid capacity.

If you're looking for persuasion targets, you might want to throw in people who are middle support score (40-60) and high turnout (70+). Keep in mind that middle support score doesn't mean that they are just leaning one way or another - it means that if you took 100 people at 50 support score, 50 of them would support you. In other words, it's really people we just don't know about. It will, however, have a somewhat higher population of persuadable voters than the rest of your ranges. If you have a persuadability model, throw out all of that and just use that model alone. There is a good chance (again, consult with your state party's data department) that it has already been interacted with your turnout scores so there's no need to do it again.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

Is there a secret to making fundraising asks? I'm a generally shy person and I hate asking folks for things, but now I've got to try to raise some money for my committee's fundraiser. It just really sucks calling up people you like and being like "give me money"

Remember you believe in this candidate for a reason. So you are asking to give to a cause that you believe in (And give me money!)

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Remember you believe in this candidate for a reason. So you are asking to give to a cause that you believe in (And give me money!)

Unfortunately it's not a candidate, it's a political committee. And half my committee-mates are lazy morons.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

Unfortunately it's not a candidate, it's a political committee. And half my committee-mates are lazy morons.

Still, you are committed to a cause and money helps said cause.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What are some "cheap tricks" or underhanded poo poo that any of you have personally seen in campaigns? I'm always interested in stories of political bad behavior.

This question is ridiculously old, but I'm gonna answer it anyway. I did some volunteering during the last Presidential election, both for Obama and for a candidate running for US Representative, since the campaigns shared an office. One of the things we were told to do while canvassing was to offer to collect absentee ballots and get them delivered. From what I saw, this seemed to be fairly effective, as a lot of people had forgotten about their ballots entirely, and would fill them out while I waited. I helped with this for a few days, until one night an FO for our opponent managed to snag an interview with one of the local news stations. During the interview, he warned people about unscrupulous individuals posing as election officials trying to collect their absentee ballots, and that they should call the police if someone was attempting this in their neighborhood. Technically, what he said was true. Election officials are not going to come by to pick up ballots, but it is completely legal for campaign workers to do so. The news station thought this was a helpful bit of non-partisan advice, and repeated it every time election coverage came up. The local newspaper had a short article about it as well. All of a sudden, people were telling us to gently caress off, and the cops did show up and hassle a few volunteers while they were out canvassing. When we tried to contact the news about it, they were reluctant to correct themselves, as they felt it would muddle the message. After a couple days, our FO just said "gently caress it" and told us to avoid bringing up ballots entirely.

Our candidate ended up losing. :smith:

Baronash fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 30, 2014

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.
Five weeks out!

So, anyone else having debilitating anxiety attacks because they feel like the entire control of the Senate is hinging on them and their program and if you don't meet the incredibly high expectations placed on you that could spell disaster for the entire nation? Cause that's where I live these days.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

CobwebMustardseed posted:

Five weeks out!

So, anyone else having debilitating anxiety attacks because they feel like the entire control of the Senate is hinging on them and their program and if you don't meet the incredibly high expectations placed on you that could spell disaster for the entire nation? Cause that's where I live these days.

Same. Can't wait to start a month long GOTV in a few days since where I am everyone gets mail in ballots and they start sending them out on the 14th, and are sent out by the 17th at latest. My team is consistently the best performing in our org for the nation metrics-wise but even with several hundred volunteer shifts recruited last week I still feel inadequate.

Tim Pawlenty fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Oct 1, 2014

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

Tim Pawlenty posted:

Same. Can't wait to start a month long GOTV in a few days since where I am everyone gets mail in ballots and they start sending them out on the 14th, and are sent out by the 17th at latest. My team is consistently the best performing in our org for the nation metrics-wise but even with several hundred volunteer shifts recruited last week I still feel inadequate.

Vote by mail: a blessing and a curse.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Five weeks out!

Just focus on doing the best you can. At the end of the day, you're the one who has to live with yourself on Nov. 5th, and if you can look in a mirror and say that you did everything that you could've, you should feel proud no matter the outcome.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

"We're not going to vote anyone who HARRASES us during our time and I will let you know my wife called from your campaign."

gently caress you too buddy.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Five weeks out!

yep. and I'm just canvassing coordinator

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I just got a phone call inviting me to a

quote:

GOTV Summit tomorrow night with Congresswoman Katherine Clark

What is this? Is it worth going to? I'm assuming it's because I went canvassing twice, and I'm planning on going, but don't actually know what to expect from those words.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

What is this? Is it worth going to? I'm assuming it's because I went canvassing twice, and I'm planning on going, but don't actually know what to expect from those words.

Probably an event where they pump everyone up with talk about how important GOTV is for winning and how they can only do it with your help and then they'll get you to sign up for a bunch of canvassing shifts. You should still go and sigh up for shifts though, because they really do need you.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

Worth going to.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Welp, I missed the meeting but I did knock on a whole bunch of doors today in the pouring rain.

Went in to find a new field organizer, got handed a pile of papers and basically pushed out the door. They began melting in the rain immediately, and I don't even have a car or anything, so I had to convince my wife to drive me around all day. Improvised a sort of clip-board and shield thing from stuff I had at home after the first street made it clear that my papers would disintegrate to nothing if I didn't have something of the sort.

I feel like I accomplished something approaching nothing for all the effort, but I got two, maybe three people who were undecided to go for Coakley? Or at least said they would. They could have just been getting rid of me.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 11, 2014

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
So I've been trying to contact the Democratic parties here in NC see if I can help them in these last few weeks of campaigning, but I have yet to have any contact with them. What are other options for helping to volunteer, try contacting the campaigns directly maybe instead of through the local parties?

GlyphGryph posted:

I feel like I accomplished something approaching nothing for all the effort, but I got two, maybe three people who were undecided to go for Coakley? Or at least said they would. They could have just been getting rid of me.

Wait, people go for Coakley? :raise:

Apparently the only person worse at campaigning than her is that Bush-WH aide running for Senate in Michigan.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Slaan posted:

So I've been trying to contact the Democratic parties here in NC see if I can help them in these last few weeks of campaigning, but I have yet to have any contact with them. What are other options for helping to volunteer, try contacting the campaigns directly maybe instead of through the local parties?

Yes, definitely contact campaigns. Local parties are entirely volunteer-led (maybe a handful of huge ones have 1-2 staff) whereas campaigns literally pay people to try to find them volunteers.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

16 Days until E-Day!

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Mooseontheloose posted:

16 Days until E-Day!

Don't remind me.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Illegal Carrot posted:

Don't remind me.

It's the reason of the season!

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Two weeks til unemployment. What's everyone's plans for after E-day?

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

Sleep and booze.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Go back to work and wonder why there aren't more campaign staff.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Illegal Carrot posted:

Two weeks til unemployment. What's everyone's plans for after E-day?

I'm employed until the first of December on the condition that if there is a run off in another state I will get sent there and will have to sign another contract. Wooooo.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

JohnSherman posted:

This question is ridiculously old, but I'm gonna answer it anyway. I did some volunteering during the last Presidential election, both for Obama and for a candidate running for US Representative, since the campaigns shared an office. One of the things we were told to do while canvassing was to offer to collect absentee ballots and get them delivered. From what I saw, this seemed to be fairly effective, as a lot of people had forgotten about their ballots entirely, and would fill them out while I waited. I helped with this for a few days, until one night an FO for our opponent managed to snag an interview with one of the local news stations. During the interview, he warned people about unscrupulous individuals posing as election officials trying to collect their absentee ballots, and that they should call the police if someone was attempting this in their neighborhood. Technically, what he said was true. Election officials are not going to come by to pick up ballots, but it is completely legal for campaign workers to do so. The news station thought this was a helpful bit of non-partisan advice, and repeated it every time election coverage came up. The local newspaper had a short article about it as well. All of a sudden, people were telling us to gently caress off, and the cops did show up and hassle a few volunteers while they were out canvassing. When we tried to contact the news about it, they were reluctant to correct themselves, as they felt it would muddle the message. After a couple days, our FO just said "gently caress it" and told us to avoid bringing up ballots entirely.

Our candidate ended up losing. :smith:

In my area, there have been groups going around collecting ballots to deliver. I guess the new dirty trick is to try and convince everyone that it's actually voter fraud.

http://www.arizonadailyindependent.com/2014/10/16/arizona-primary-ballot-box-stuffing-caught-on-tape/

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
I'm working as a Staging Location Director this weekend. I had someone come in, grab three signs, and ask for a T-shirt (which our candidate doesn't give out). When I asked her if she would think about volunteering, she said "maybe, probably not. I'm going to the Victory Party though". As if that was a positive thing, like showing up after the polls close and eating our food is supposed to somehow be a good and helpful thing I should be grateful for. And of course I've got to be nice because I'm representing a campaign, but she was the quintessential slacktivist - literally everything frustrating about some of these folks.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Jackson Taus posted:

I'm working as a Staging Location Director this weekend. I had someone come in, grab three signs, and ask for a T-shirt (which our candidate doesn't give out). When I asked her if she would think about volunteering, she said "maybe, probably not. I'm going to the Victory Party though". As if that was a positive thing, like showing up after the polls close and eating our food is supposed to somehow be a good and helpful thing I should be grateful for. And of course I've got to be nice because I'm representing a campaign, but she was the quintessential slacktivist - literally everything frustrating about some of these folks.

drat, that sounds rough. I never even imagined that a person could be so disgusting with regards to "helping out," but I guess I must be lucky to work on such an awesome campaign. I don't think I've seen a single volunteer at our office that wasn't just as motivated as our paid staff.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Illegal Carrot posted:

drat, that sounds rough. I never even imagined that a person could be so disgusting with regards to "helping out," but I guess I must be lucky to work on such an awesome campaign. I don't think I've seen a single volunteer at our office that wasn't just as motivated as our paid staff.

I try really hard not to criticize volunteers who aren't as effective or motivated as they could be, because just showing up for a volunteer shift puts them head and shoulders above many of the rest of the local Democrats. The volunteers we do get do what they need to do and work hard, but the folks who don't help but want to pretend they're politically active just drive me nuts. It's both parties, and it's up and down the food chain. I've had folks who are on the State Central Committee come out to canvass launches with (relative) VIPs, chat a bit, take pictures, shake hands, and then leave without taking a packet. Heck, I've had guys who were running the next year pull that kind of crap. If we hold a picnic for volunteers, we'll have 5x as many folks show up as if we had a canvass.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

I try really hard not to criticize volunteers who aren't as effective or motivated as they could be, because just showing up for a volunteer shift puts them head and shoulders above many of the rest of the local Democrats. The volunteers we do get do what they need to do and work hard, but the folks who don't help but want to pretend they're politically active just drive me nuts. It's both parties, and it's up and down the food chain. I've had folks who are on the State Central Committee come out to canvass launches with (relative) VIPs, chat a bit, take pictures, shake hands, and then leave without taking a packet. Heck, I've had guys who were running the next year pull that kind of crap. If we hold a picnic for volunteers, we'll have 5x as many folks show up as if we had a canvass.

Even people who do a viz or poll check or hand out lawn signs at least are TRYING to help. People love politics because of the glory but don't want to put in the work and THAT pisses me off more than anything.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Man reading this thread does not make me nostalgic. Was 2008 really six years ago?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Man reading this thread does not make me nostalgic. Was 2008 really six years ago?

No reason to be nostalgic or Campaign-sick, you can come back to the campaign community anytime you want. We're a forgiving cult like that. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

No reason to be nostalgic or Campaign-sick, you can come back to the campaign community anytime you want. We're a forgiving cult like that. ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Just one shift of phone banking or canvassing. What could it hurt? Hey, since you have done this before could you be a phone bank captain? maybe get a few friends?

MUHAHAHAHAHA

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone ever do voter protection on election day before? I'm going to be doing it for the first time this election and I'm starting to get nervous.

Tim Pawlenty
Jun 3, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Anyone ever do voter protection on election day before? I'm going to be doing it for the first time this election and I'm starting to get nervous.

Have your orgs legal team ready to dial to make sure you don't do anything horribly wrong and don't back down if you know 100% you are in the clear.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

There is not enough alcohol in the world to cover the next week.

I have nothing further to add.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Jackson Taus posted:

Three campaigns in field was enough for me. I still knock doors for funsies and to pull my weight though.

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

Saw a new poll today that has my race tied. My hair is for real starting to fall out of my head and I am not sure if I can withstand another six days of this. What if my candidate loses by one point and we lose control of the Senate by one seat and EVERYTHING IS ALL MY FAULT?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Saw a new poll today that has my race tied. My hair is for real starting to fall out of my head and I am not sure if I can withstand another six days of this. What if my candidate loses by one point and we lose control of the Senate by one seat and EVERYTHING IS ALL MY FAULT?

All you can do is everything you can. If you've worked your rear end off this cycle (and no doubt you have), have no regrets either way on next Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Shorter version: control what you can control.

• Locked thread