Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Thoughts on a 2015 thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Thoughts on a 2015 thread?

How many places have 2015 races? I know VA does.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Jersey, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Mayorals, Special Elections, Canada(lol)

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

plus municipals

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I want to attain office on my City Council. I am in my mid 20's and just acquired my masters. What resources should I look at? I realize there's not going to be a "collect 5 stars and then hit up-down-b-a-b-a for office", but where do I go from here?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I want to attain office on my City Council. I am in my mid 20's and just acquired my masters. What resources should I look at? I realize there's not going to be a "collect 5 stars and then hit up-down-b-a-b-a for office", but where do I go from here?

First, do your research. Who currently occupies the seat you'd run for? How big is the electorate? How much money was spent in past elections for this same seat? If it's partisan, make serious consideration as to whether your partisan profile matches what the community might typically vote for. I don't want to discourage people from running for office, but realistically a fresh out of grad school kid isn't going to flip a blood red district blue. Then you need to research the laws or local practices in your municipality/state - specifically, ballot access laws. Some states require signatures. Others, you just pay a small fee. You also may or may not need to open up a bank account and form a campaign committee for disclosure purposes, depending on your state and the size of your municipality.

Have you spoken to anyone about your intentions? You may need to court the endorsement of a local party. Some states give preferential treatment on the primary ballot to whoever gets the local endorsement. Additionally, if you're a good fit for the office, they may discourage others from challenging you. Even if your race is non-partisan, parties often endorse candidates. While this can often only affect a handful of votes, it will be tough to win a local race without at least some institutional support to show that you're not just some random. Even if the endorsement is not valuable, they might have resources to aid you. Maybe it's just a few clipboards, but also potentially connections to donors, volunteers, and lists. Local political knowledge is always going to be good.

On small scale races, the winner is often the candidate that works hardest. Be ready to knock on doors. If you are a very small scale campaign (i.e. it's just yourself) you can usually get a copy of the voter rolls from your local election board and use this to guide which doors you go to. Focus on people who tend to vote in municipal races - your goal is persuade voters to vote for you. It won't help to try and persuade voters to show up and vote and then vote for you. If you are working with a local party, they *may* already have specialized software from the state party that (i.e. VAN for Democrats) will make this process much easier.

Finally, don't forget. Local office is often boring as hell and people are passionate about very minor and specific issues. Try to learn as much as you can so you don't come off like an idiot when someone asks why the city charges $10 more for sewer access on the west side of town.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Concerned Citizen posted:

First, do your research. Who currently occupies the seat you'd run for? How big is the electorate? How much money was spent in past elections for this same seat? If it's partisan, make serious consideration as to whether your partisan profile matches what the community might typically vote for. I don't want to discourage people from running for office, but realistically a fresh out of grad school kid isn't going to flip a blood red district blue. Then you need to research the laws or local practices in your municipality/state - specifically, ballot access laws. Some states require signatures. Others, you just pay a small fee. You also may or may not need to open up a bank account and form a campaign committee for disclosure purposes, depending on your state and the size of your municipality.

Have you spoken to anyone about your intentions? You may need to court the endorsement of a local party. Some states give preferential treatment on the primary ballot to whoever gets the local endorsement. Additionally, if you're a good fit for the office, they may discourage others from challenging you. Even if your race is non-partisan, parties often endorse candidates. While this can often only affect a handful of votes, it will be tough to win a local race without at least some institutional support to show that you're not just some random. Even if the endorsement is not valuable, they might have resources to aid you. Maybe it's just a few clipboards, but also potentially connections to donors, volunteers, and lists. Local political knowledge is always going to be good.

On small scale races, the winner is often the candidate that works hardest. Be ready to knock on doors. If you are a very small scale campaign (i.e. it's just yourself) you can usually get a copy of the voter rolls from your local election board and use this to guide which doors you go to. Focus on people who tend to vote in municipal races - your goal is persuade voters to vote for you. It won't help to try and persuade voters to show up and vote and then vote for you. If you are working with a local party, they *may* already have specialized software from the state party that (i.e. VAN for Democrats) will make this process much easier.

Finally, don't forget. Local office is often boring as hell and people are passionate about very minor and specific issues. Try to learn as much as you can so you don't come off like an idiot when someone asks why the city charges $10 more for sewer access on the west side of town.

In addition to this, it may be worthwhile getting to know the City Council members. On my town's council, there are a couple of long-time folks who pretty popular around town - it would be borderline-suicidal to run AGAINST them, but at the same time it'd be a huge boon to be running WITH them (something made possible by a staggered top-three election system).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Have a reason to run too. Why are you running? What's the major issue? Can you make people care about your issue? Why is your current city councillors not handing these situations?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Thanks for the responses everyone!

I have done all of these except for the bank account thing. Do I just open a bank account and say "this is my campaign stuff"? I even made a several year budget that included amortized student loan payments to figure out how many years it would take to save enough private capital to fund my city council campaign. My City is blue. Real blue. It would be running between two democrats. Unless I wanted to run as an independent/green or something? How does that work? Does the DNC care about city council stuff?

I have not discussed my intentions with local parties or political individuals. So far several of my employers and a few of my professors know my intentions. For several reasons, I thought it more prudent to initially consult people outside of the political sphere. It is good to hear reinforcement of how important political networking is.

Awesome, that's part of my advantage. I have no desire to go on vacations, create a family, or do conventionally distracting activities. What I want is to provide meaningful change to my community. Working hard will be the easy part.

Voter rolls can be publicly accessed? Or do I need to be a candidate first and then gain access?

This will take research but should also be fun. I like numbers, accounting, and systems analysis. Would the strategy be to attend many town meetings for awhile and gauge hot points from there?

Mooseontheloose posted:

Have a reason to run too. Why are you running? What's the major issue? Can you make people care about your issue? Why is your current city councillors not handing these situations?
I have answers to all but the last question. How would I discover that as an outsider?

Edit: Oh yeah I should mention my city is top 20 in U.S. population. That probably matters.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 30, 2014

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Jackson Taus posted:

In addition to this, it may be worthwhile getting to know the City Council members. On my town's council, there are a couple of long-time folks who pretty popular around town - it would be borderline-suicidal to run AGAINST them, but at the same time it'd be a huge boon to be running WITH them (something made possible by a staggered top-three election system).

How would I do this? *Accidentally* bump into them at a charity fundraiser? Volunteer for their organizations and hope to meet them? Try and schedule a meeting directly?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

How would I do this? *Accidentally* bump into them at a charity fundraiser? Volunteer for their organizations and hope to meet them? Try and schedule a meeting directly?

First, if your city is Bright Blue, get involved in the Party. If this is a multi-year plan you're thinking, then be really active in 2015-2016 and make friends in the Party and while campaigning. If you're competent and avoid pissing people off, you'll attract at least a bit of notice. This will also help you build a campaign for your City Council race - folks who've worked with you in the past will be receptive if you ask for their help or support for City Council, and even a few volunteers can be a big deal at first. This will also let you sound out who has a lot of support in a Party (which is crucial in a primary, less so in a general) and who is popular, if you're trying to figure out who to run against. It will also give you a lot of general knowledge of how campaigning works and what's involved which will help.

Secondly, try to get appointed to something. I know it sounds silly, suggesting you seek an office as a stepping stone to a local office, but if you're running for City Council and you can point to your time on the Library board or something as experience, that might help. Plus it will let you work with other muckety-mucks more closely. Here's a list for Austin, TX, which is probably of comparable size to whichever city you're running in.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I have done all of these except for the bank account thing. Do I just open a bank account and say "this is my campaign stuff"? I even made a several year budget that included amortized student loan payments to figure out how many years it would take to save enough private capital to fund my city council campaign.

It varies state-by-state. You may have to register some sort of committee or something for tax purposes and with your local State Board of Elections. Do not open a campaign account or file paperwork unless you are imminently announcing - newspapers track this stuff and if it's a slow news day they might spoil the surprise by writing a story before you wanted. Also look into this closely and be very sure you know what you're doing here - don't screw up these filings or have unaccounted-for money or anything.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Unless I wanted to run as an independent/green or something? How does that work?

If you're running as an actual Green, it's the same process of working within the Party to get their endorsement, but on a smaller scale (since there's a lot fewer of them). If you're filing as a real independent with no party, it's probably just a ballot access petition and possibly a filing fee.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Does the DNC care about city council stuff?

The DNC does not (unless it's like NYC/LA and they're grooming a Congressman or it's somebody's cousin or something), but the local party will. I guarantee you that there are people in the local party who spent the last 5-10 years dealmaking/backstabbing their way into having some influence in the local party, because that's the particular sandbox they've decided they want to play House Of Cards Jr. in, and they'll care a great deal. How much influence they have will vary.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I have not discussed my intentions with local parties or political individuals. So far several of my employers and a few of my professors know my intentions. For several reasons, I thought it more prudent to initially consult people outside of the political sphere. It is good to hear reinforcement of how important political networking is.

Don't like open a conversation within the Party with "I want to run for City Council next year". Hold your cards close to the chest until you're "in".

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

This will take research but should also be fun. I like numbers, accounting, and systems analysis. Would the strategy be to attend many town meetings for awhile and gauge hot points from there?

I have answers to all but the last question. How would I discover that as an outsider?

Go to city council meetings, see what's on the agenda. See what folks are bitching about. Read the local paper (you're a top-20 city, there's got to be some local coverage). Ask the folks who are bitching what they're bitching about and how they think it should be fixed and what the city council is doing (you may not like their solution but at least you'll learn something). This is a hard problem at the local level and isn't one I've fully solved.

Usual hotspots are things like Education (are the schools perceived as underfunded, is there a scandal/mismanagement, redistricting/boundary fights (these get really loving nasty sometimes)), Transportation (are they behind on fixing potholes, what parts of the local roads are always jammed, are they aggressively pursuing federal/state money, some really dumb project), Taxes (...), Zoning (they want to put a WHAT in OUR backyard, the zoning policy is resulting in too little growth, the zoning policy is resulting in too much growth), Ethics (...), Emergency Management (see Olaloaf's posts earlier in the thread, also police/fire response time, cops not cracking down on XYZ enough), Public Utilities (trash not getting picked up on time, water bills going up by a lot) and so forth. That's not an exhaustive list and you're not going to see every single one of these in your city but it's a good list of stuff people might bitch about.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Edit: Oh yeah I should mention my city is top 20 in U.S. population. That probably matters.

Yes, it matters a great deal. City Council of Spartanburg, SC is one thing, and City Council of Houston is another. Like each City Council District in Houston is like 5 times the size of Spartanburg and the same size as a State Senate seat in other states.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Insightful information, thank you Jackson Taus.

Jackson Taus posted:

Don't like open a conversation within the Party with "I want to run for City Council next year". Hold your cards close to the chest until you're "in".

What is "in"? My current s.o.p. is just be friendly and useful, and tell the truth; I want to help the party help my community however I am able. Will they eventually they suggest I run? Is that assertive enough? For instance a couple of my employers have acknowledge and appreciated when I provided ambitious interview answers.

If I wanted to become Governor, would your advice change?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Insightful information, thank you Jackson Taus.

I don't necessarily have all the answers unfortunately, and I'm not a pro at this. Additionally, things can vary wildly locality to locality in terms of what the power structure is. It's possible that your local Congressman or Senator has a tight Harry Reid-esque political machine and that's where you need to focus your efforts or who you want to suck up to.

There is also no one single right path to this sort of stuff. Running a successful small business in your Ward/District and having only affiliate Party involvement (show up at meetings, drop a few hundred a year on a few fundraisers) could be a successful path - "prominent local Real Estate agent/lawyer who happens to be a Dem" isn't necessarily a dream candidate but you'd have some name recognition and a pre-existing base of folks in the community who might endorse you or give you money.

I don't think there's a definition per se, but I think you don't want to be perceived as "I'm just here because I want to be on City Council" and instead more "I'm here, I've been here a year or two, and there's an open City Council seat, do you think I'd be a decent candidate?"

If you're a hard-charging ambitious young man, you risk just by that demographic alienating old-timers if you are seen as "bucking the system" instead of working within the system.

I'm not saying lie to someone's face or anything, but there's a difference between saying "Yeah, I'd like to maybe run for something someday if an opportunity arose" and "Hi I'm JD this is my first City Democrats meeting I want to run for City Council".

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

My current s.o.p. is just be friendly and useful, and tell the truth; I want to help the party help my community however I am able.

In my experience this sort of attitude can get you noticed especially if you're competent. In addition to putting in the grunt-work on voter contact, take on small leadership roles - I ran data trainings one year and organized voter registration at a few places in a different year, for instance. Coordinating the booth at a high-traffic fair or something, helping set up and/or plan a fundraiser, really anything that stands out a little beyond the run of the mill stuff. Folks will notice they're hearing your name more and more.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Will they eventually they suggest I run? Is that assertive enough?

Depends on locality. In a small purplish town in my part of my state, they had two incumbents running in a top-three election for Town Council, and would've recruited to round out the ballot (and that dude might well have won if he/she was good). But then on the other side of the state you've got City Council/Supervisor races where folks are lining up two years in advance for the primary because the seat is perceived as safe and desirable.

In your circumstance (solid blue and very large city) it's highly unlikely you'd be recruited barring some special circumstance (a self-financing war veteran, for instance). But if there are open or contestable seats coming up, you could test the waters by bouncing "I'd like to run for something someday" around folks you trust and seeing if they respond with "well what about City Council?".

Be willing to (a) accept the possibility that stuff may not go your way and (b) exploit other opportunities if they come along. If folks you trust are saying not to get into a race or if the opportunities for City Council aren't there, be willing to look at School Board (if it's elected) or state legislature or something - don't pass up a shot at a purple or even purple-red State House race in order to challenge a popular Dem incumbent for City Council.

If your City Council is 100% at-large, great. If it's district-based, you may want to plan where you live based on that. Ideally you want a seat where the incumbent is going to retire in a term or two, or a seat with a Republican who won only narrowly last time - you're unlikely to win a primary against a Dem incumbent who has been building relationships for years unless he/she has done something really bad, and you don't want to run in a deep-red district you'd get crushed in.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

If I wanted to become Governor, would your advice change?

It would scale up dramatically - instead of an appointed city commission you'd want some sort of local/state elected office or a lot of other public experience (or be a CEO or something). Instead of informing yourself by going to City Council meetings and talking to the guys bitching there, you'd follow state legislature sessions and talk to the lobbyists/staffers to get the scoop. Instead of working with and impressing other City Councillors or local party folks, you'd be working with and impressing state party and state legislature folks. You'd also need a huge fundraising network and probably other stuff, and it'd take 15-25 years, but the basic premise of getting a jump on a primary by working within the Party and getting endorsements from other elected officials and building relationships with other stakeholders while working on vital issues would remain. I am, however, nowhere near qualified to advise/manage someone's Governorship race unless it's like American Samoa or something where it's the size of a Town Council race.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 30, 2014

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
A couple things, knowing a bit more about your situation:

1. Definitely keep researching. Regularly attend City Council meetings, even if you're just listening. Hearing what people spend their time talking about matters. It's one of those things that's a bit tough to do when you're thinking about running instead of actually running - you need to talk to people, but they don't necessarily see a reason to talk to you. So look for local areas where people are expressing their views.

2. It is definitely possible to *overestimate* how much the support of establishment Dems happens to be. If you think that the primaries represent maybe 10% of all voters in a district, the establishment represents less than 1% of the total. Certainly, if you're planning on spending entirely your own money you can get away without their support. But it will just make your life more difficult. Even if you win, they will not go away and they will not support you if they don't like you. Because you're in a very blue area, they will see your re-election as an opportunity to remove you. So it's definitely helpful to get their support. As far as third parties: unless your city has a history of supporting third party candidates, don't bother. It's not worth your time. If you see city council as a stepping stone to higher office, you're arguably better off losing as a Dem than winning as a third party.

The DNC has involved itself in municipal elections on occasion. It is not common, and basically only to win competitive races against the GOP. The "big four" Dem committees are (in order of size/influence) DSCC (US Senate), DCCC (US House), DGA (Governors), DLCC (State Legislatures). There is no committee for municipal races.

3. Another thing - one party areas are often very much personal relationship based. You might think you're great friends with a local Dem chair and they'll back you, but maybe there's a big succession plan and you running would just muck it up. You don't need to become a member of your local Dem groups, but you definitely need to ingratiate yourself with them. Remember: many of these guys live and breathe local politics, and (some) of them see themselves as bizarre Machiavellian schemers on the least consequential scale possible. If you want to improve your odds: spreading a little money around won't hurt. Think of it as an investment in your future campaign. $1k to the local party a year out from your declaration won't hurt you at all. By the way, if you're thinking of taking on an incumbent, ignore everything I said. Unless they're hated by the local establishment, your campaign is very much uphill and frankly you're not going to get a lot of out persuading the locals to support you.

4. Yes, voter rolls are available to the public in all 50 states since the Help America Vote Act. These include: Name, age, address, sex, voting history, date of registration, active/inactive, etc. The availability depends on your state. In some states, it's open to anyone who asks (for a small fee). They'll print it off or put it on a CD for you. In other states, it's available exclusively to political parties, who will then sell you access to the rolls for a fee. Since you're a Dem, I highly recommend going through your state party and gaining access to VAN. They will charge you money for this, and the amount depends on your state. That will be vastly easier to work with than a giant spreadsheet, since it allows you to easily customize your voter lists or create walk lists with maps and GPS. You can also "enhance" the voterfile with data you've collected, such as a person's interests, whether or not you've mailed them, if they've said they're a supporter, etc. Very helpful.

5. As far as campaign accounts go, etc - talk with your local clerk about the law. Just flat out ask, "what do I need to do to run for office?" They may even have an already prepared document for first time candidates that clearly lists out what needs to happen. Typically, you just go to a bank and say "I want a bank account in the name of my political committee" and work it out from there, but obviously your state may have restrictions on the type of account you have or such. You usually do not need to do this until you announce your candidacy. Note that, depending on your local law, announcing your candidacy is distinct from filing. Oftentimes, the act of announcing requires a bank account and political committee even if you have not formally submitted the paperwork to be on the ballot yet. Again, this is highly variable based on state law. Consult a lawyer, a past candidate, or your local election clerk. Regardless, this is not an expensive or difficult process and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even if you somehow majorly screwed up, which you won't, you'd probably just end up with a small fine.

6. And I don't mean to be moralizing about what I'm about to say - I'm trying to be realistic. Local politics are a huge drag. Make sure you're in it for the right reasons. It can be very draining to deal with the extremely personal and unprofessional drama in municipal politics. The issues are often fairly dull and your power to create actual change is limited. Even if you had every single vote, 95% of your budget has already been locked in by contractual agreements your predecessors agreed to. If you want to do City Council, that's fine, but remember that there are other options as well. There may be other low level positions, like in the state legislature, that you can get into. For example, if you're in California, their state legislators are term limited out frequently so there's a lot of room for fresh blood. I would think wisely and strategically about what you want to do. If you are passionate about municipal issues, people are going to able to tell - conversely, they can tell if you don't really care. If state issues mean a lot more to you, you might consider another route instead. Think about your timing as well - do you really want to run now? Planting some deeper roots where you live and developing a professional life in your city will make your eventual run much easier. That's not to say that your situation is unprecedented, or that a young person with a lot of energy and enough money can't win an election. It happens all the time. I would just take the time to think, in as objective a sense as possible, whether or not you have a message and personality that will be enough to persuade a lot of people that you have something to offer the other guys don't. If you think you do, then go all out and don't look back. If you don't, take a step back. And I don't mean this in the sense that I'm attacking your potential candidacy, because I don't know anything about your community or anything about you. I'm just saying that you should definitely plot through all your potential options before you commit to any course of action.

Running for office sucks. Running for office and losing sucks more. Running for office and winning but realizing you hate the job sucks the most. So act wisely.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I've never applied for a speechwriter position before, but a position has come up and I wish to apply.

The politician in question is well known for his witty and funny speeches. Should my cover letter show my ability to write that way? Should I slip in a one or two 'zingers' that he has used before?

Any tips would be much appreciated.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Can we update the thread title to Odd number years = Despair

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The presidential race is coming up next year and so is the Tea Party 2010 wave senate elections. I'm guessing that getting in with a party now is probably a good idea to build up trust to get a good position on high profile campaigns?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Slaan posted:

The presidential race is coming up next year and so is the Tea Party 2010 wave senate elections. I'm guessing that getting in with a party now is probably a good idea to build up trust to get a good position on high profile campaigns?

If you're looking to start in politics, you'll likely be starting from the bottom unless you have significant wok experience.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Slaan posted:

If you're looking to start in politics, you'll likely be starting from the bottom unless you have significant wok experience.

Can you get a job this year? If you can travel to one of the states holding state legislative or gubernatorial elections (or find a local-level election) and get a job, that's the best way to position yourself.

It's possible to parlay volunteer work into starting out higher on the campaign ladder, but it would require several years of very dedicated work - if you can work for a campaign this year, that'll pay-off far faster.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I'll start a new thread soon, been on the ole honeymoon.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I've got a question for the more experienced Campaign people.

I've been volunteering with the party group for the State Legislative district I'm in. I've built a website for them and just recently set up MailChimp for a mailing list.

There aren't a lot of people on the list yet and we've only sent out one campaign. It hasn't been a week, and we're getting emails from local groups asking us to send out mail for this event and that.

My concern is that if we send out too much stuff, people will start to ignore it.

My thinking is that we should stick to once a month. We'll try to put good content in that email, all sorts of good events etc. I might create an opt-in list for "Please send me notices for everything!"
I'd like to make emails outside of that schedule for truly special news or events.
Has anyone else had to deal with this kind of thing, any advice?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

My concern is that if we send out too much stuff, people will start to ignore it.

I remember reading in newsweek years ago that the Obama campaign did a study and found that spamming people gained more supporters than it lost. That's why they send so many emails so frequently.

I don't know if it scales downward, though.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Love Stole the Day posted:

I remember reading in newsweek years ago that the Obama campaign did a study and found that spamming people gained more supporters than it lost. That's why they send so many emails so frequently.

I don't know if it scales downward, though.

On the activist/local level, there was a lot of negative response to the DCCC's email campaign last year, but that's sort of an extreme case.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jackson Taus posted:

On the activist/local level, there was a lot of negative response to the DCCC's email campaign last year, but that's sort of an extreme case.

WHY HAVEN'T YOU GIVEN MONEY YET JACKSON TAUS YOU MONSTER :(

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've got a question for the more experienced Campaign people.

I've been volunteering with the party group for the State Legislative district I'm in. I've built a website for them and just recently set up MailChimp for a mailing list.

There aren't a lot of people on the list yet and we've only sent out one campaign. It hasn't been a week, and we're getting emails from local groups asking us to send out mail for this event and that.

My thinking is that we should stick to once a month. We'll try to put good content in that email, all sorts of good events etc. I might create an opt-in list for "Please send me notices for everything!"
I'd like to make emails outside of that schedule for truly special news or events.
Has anyone else had to deal with this kind of thing, any advice?

Don't worry as much about the frequency of your emails. What really matters is the content - if you consistently put out interesting and relevant email, people will open it. The key thing is to remember that you also want to keep the length of your emails down (people just don't like to read long email), so a weekly schedule is probably going to be more optimal than a monthly digest.

If you start using the list for fundraising, you'll want an even more robust and frequent schedule. But most likely, at your level an email program will bring in relatively small amounts of money.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Don't worry as much about the frequency of your emails. What really matters is the content - if you consistently put out interesting and relevant email, people will open it. The key thing is to remember that you also want to keep the length of your emails down (people just don't like to read long email), so a weekly schedule is probably going to be more optimal than a monthly digest.

If you start using the list for fundraising, you'll want an even more robust and frequent schedule. But most likely, at your level an email program will bring in relatively small amounts of money.

And in my experience, your subject line probably matters as much if not more than anything else in the email. A great subject line is the key to a good click rate. If you have enough room in your list, test out a couple options and see what kinds of things get the best click rates, and go with what works.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
We did it!

It was a real David and Goliath scenario, with our opponent getting endorsements form all the big name Democrats in the capital, but we ran a really clean grass roots campaign and it worked. The good guys win every once in a while!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

literally this big posted:

We did it!

It was a real David and Goliath scenario, with our opponent getting endorsements form all the big name Democrats in the capital, but we ran a really clean grass roots campaign and it worked. The good guys win every once in a while!

I found, for me anyways, that there is a great potential in Democrats and more leftist Democrats to run in these city elections and get results. Not that these races are easy by any stretch but it comes down to voter contact on small elections. I love local elections because I find them more traditional grassroots than bigger elections.

• Locked thread