Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I'd be up for something, West Seattle-ite here.

Really though I think we should start with seriously discussing 14/13s effort to own a running biturbo and how we can help facilitate it.

I'm not joking. :colbert:

Also, failing that we could all go autocrossing together. Team Neckbeard! :)

PS: CharlesM you added an extra 'e' to Fremont.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I'm in for a Ballard trip. Blk if you're in West Seattle at the time we can carpool (I'll take the wifes cars so IDGAF about where I end up parking).

Also, I just heard there is a new place opening in the Admiral district of West Seattle called "Vidiots" that is basically a bar and arcade and pinball machines. So like, when we get too awkward from attempted conversations or from 13 and I loading the juke box with doom metal, we can play some video games :).

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'd rather see tits than hang out at anything Doctor Who related.

I'm always down for a good steak. </portlandcode>

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

HotCanadianChick posted:

...the best fish and chips and scotch eggs this side of Stonehaven.

Wait a sec, I've been to Stonehaven and would like to eat more of both of those things. What and where is this place you speak of?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

So I'll be honest I just clicked on the times other people had already entered. I'm cool starting at noon, but it'd be rad if we ended up at a bar so I could pickle the old liver a bit and maybe 13 and I can play inappropriate songs on the requisite jukebox. :)

Also, how bad will you guys make fun of me if I drive the 02 up without a hood? :3

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

13 what time do you get off of work?

I know this was originally kind of a 'drive your car and we'll be AI together' kind of thing, but what about if we did something later in the day so the working dudes could join up with us?

I mean, it'd be cool to see the inside of Flynn's GTR, but it'd also be cool to have a round of beers with y'all.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I was supposed to be a no show and finally be leveling may basement floor, but my help fell through, so the silver lining can be that I'll actually get to come up.

It's looking like 80% chance of rain by 2pm so I probably won't be in the red 2002 since it's sunroof seals are gone and I'm not sure that the wipers work very well. I'm not as brave a good as 13/14 so I'll likely be with the white BRZ then :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vbnLYROCj8

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

CharlesM posted:

Ugh got food poisoning or something...... not good. Hope you guys had fun.

Really? Bummer man, sorry to hear that. I've been fine so far, but who knows how things are between grills, preparers.

Trip report for those that couldn't make it, it was a small meet (not surprisingly due to the constant rain today), but a very AI representative meet with two Miatas (NA & NB), a Volvo 850R, an S52 Clownshoe and a BRZ. And a Saab in spirit too :).

For those of you that use Facebook don't forget to join the AI group and feel free to friend me directly too. If anyone from this meet or that didn't make this meet is interested in some wrenching let's start chatting about it as I'm all about helping others with their heaps and certainly could use the occasional use with mine.

Goober, I'll get you that Volvo info (which one has the sunroof cables I can use in my 02) later today.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

CharlesM posted:

No I mean I didn't make it...sorry.

Oh, hah, sorry. I didn't remember the user name of everyone there so I thought maybe you were there and that the Dick's didn't agree with you :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Remember at one point we were talking about shops in the area we trust for certain things?

So I remembered one I liked that is trustworthy for the Subaru guys on here: Outback Auto in Auburn. I had them do work a few times on my Forester when I had it, including warranty work for a part that went bad. I'd definitely recommend them.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Gah, of course you guys choose my wife's birthday! "Hey honey I'm going to get beers with some car guys from the Internet!"

Hah, well I'll get y'all next time around :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Not sure if it's been mentioned in the thread yet, but PNW folks, don't forget that the annual Northwest Vintage Races are on the 4th of July weekend. I've been two of the last three years and plan to attend a day this year with my three year old (and keep fostering his love of things mechanical).

http://northwesthistorics.com/sovrenguild/racing/pacific-northwest-historics/

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

For the BMW nerds the annual car show is tomorrow in Renton. Supposedly the new i8 will be there!

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Park Place is known for overcharging a bit... They're the kind of place that people go that don't really know much about cars go because they want something nice and/or fast.

Landmark is pretty eh, too. I bought a car from them in the past and had them sneak a charge past me in the paperwork that I didn't catch until I got home. It wasn't so big to return, just really annoying and not very honest.

I think you could buy from either as long as you know the type of car you're buying and watch the details to make sure they don't try to juice you.

re: drinks, I'll be out of town otherwise I'd be a definite in. :)

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

HEY VAPER posted:

Accutint in Bellevue has always been top notch for me. A little on the pricy side but if you care about the small details its the place to go. They also do promotions during the winter where you can get tint done p cheap for the level of quality.

I would get withdrawals if I was away from my car for that long. May end up taking you up on that at some point!

I took a car to the Airport way Accutint before and they're good. On the higher side price wise for our area, but also on the higher side quality wise. I think I'd take my next car there. I went a bit more for price with the BRZ's tint and front end wrap and I feel like I can notice the difference.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I'm seriously considering buying another house just to get a bigger garage.

Nothing wrong with that. Though, if your lot size isn't poo poo you could always just build one. I've been reading a lot of the city building code lately because I'm maybe a year away from building a 3 car, I just need to hit my brother up for drawings so I can figure out material prices. Do you have paved alley access?

RE: meetup Quite A Tool and I have been talking about meeting at Beveridge Place in W. Seattle sometime soon because it's walking distance for both of us (woooo!). All goons are of course welcome to come be goony with us.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

If you have questions about the different parts of Woodinville or anything, let me know. I grew up there and my folks still live not far from the driving range. Since my dad has an enormous shop with every obscure tool imaginable I still end up going back fairly often.

Just be prepared for a minimum of a 10 minute drive to any freeway, so if you like to go to Seattle often, you better like to sit at lights waiting for them to turn (which is why I left).

If you're interested in being a landlord you could also just let me kick you in the nads really hard and then you could do some drywall repair at my house. :v:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

everywherethatdoesntsucktoliveontheeastside.txt

Unless you've got some money you can spend, which, not to make assumptions, but I think Flynn is doing all right.

Options like the Kirkland waterfront area where some of it is walkable to bars and restaurants, or Bellevue where there are some pretty cool mid century neighborhoods with decent existing garages and lots where you could then also build a dream garage. Or he could go big and buy something like this: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Newcastle/11220-SE-74th-St-98056/home/414213

But Flynn, don't buy that as I think a buddy of mine is placing an offer this afternoon :).

But yeah, you could buy something like that in a nice area, live in the main house and build your custom dream home with huge garage/shop, far enough away to subdivide later. Then you move into the dream house, and sell the original house. Or just sub divide and have your rental be super close. Or maybe it's just a place for Mom and Dad to come live when they get old because who wants their folks to live in a home.

Not that I've spent time thinking about all of the above for myself at all :v:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

CharlesM posted:

Why has that place been delisted and relisted so many times?

It's a trick agents use to get around the "only show new listings" filter that all online tools have now. The general assumption can often be made (it's generally true in my experience) that if a property has been sitting it's either wrecked, overpriced and the seller is unwilling to negotiate or both. So they try to cover that up.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I went and looked at this place:

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Woodinville/16020-NE-169th-Pl-98072/home/448265

But the house layout was loving RETARDED. And they had literally 30+ Thomas Kinkade paintings sooooo

I didn't see what you mean about the layout at first because of the way they took the pictures (and with a wide angle lens?). The landing/dining/kitchen setup is what seems most funky. The rest of the house and property seems pretty "move in ready" as it were, is that layout unfixable down the road or are you opposed to employing a contractor to customize? Because that garage is sweet.

Did you see this? https://www.redfin.com/WA/Redmond/16827-NE-122nd-St-98052/home/451604

It needs some work, but nothing huge and the garage is almost as good as the first one. Plus maybe you can work the Ford GT into the contract :) "just leave it there under the cover". Then again, it's in a pretty ticky tacky boxy neighborhood. poo poo, they've built that up a lot since I lived over there.

Alternately, if you find something that is almost where you want it to be, you could buy it with a 30 and get a home eq for a remodel. I can get you the names of some good mid to high end contractors that work in that area. Sometimes the best way to get what you want is to buy something almost there and have the rest done custom.

edit: may favorite feature on redfin is the "has garage checkbox" and the drop down where you can specify number of spots. This is in Bothell and not nearly as nice as what I think you're looking for, but how about parking for SEVEN lol: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Bothell/11117-NE-164th-Pl-98011/home/284690

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 10, 2015

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Comrade Flynn posted:

There's two giant living rooms almost adjacent to each other. There's a second kitchen like 50 feet from the first. It's like some senile person just kept remodeling it forgetting what they did last.

I'm not buying a $1.2M place with the intention to renovate the hell out of it.

I could probably get by with a big 3 car garage and install lifts for 6 car storage.

Understandable. I more meant buy below 1m and put 200 in to get exactly what you want (a really nice garage).

I'm pretty resigned to having to do that if I ever sell this house, but want to stay in city. I'll probably just build a garage here, save for a while, then buy another house and build a garage there before moving or selling this house. All of that said, I can totally understand why you wouldn't want to deal with remodeling as it can be a huge pain. It's why my next project thread will probably be called something like "A thread about how I work on my house more than my cars".

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Don't mind me, I'm just jaded from having lived here so long.

No worries, I totally understand. When I lived on the eastside I always felt like it was "too clean" and craved a more urban environment with greater diversity and now I live in the city and long for someplace with some space so I find myself randomly searching redfin for 2+ acres and big garages.

I hear you on North Renton/South Bellevue. It's totally possible I could end up over there too at some point.

Re: crime, theft is an issue in the entire region and we're paying higher insurance due to lack of laws and enforcement curbing it.

Re: subbing, what's your specialty? Seriously, because if you're good my family is in the business and is often looking for reliable subs.

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 10, 2015

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

Negromancer posted:

This thread is making me even more depressed about our house search.

Well, yeah, if you're trying to buy a house in Ballard there is plenty to be depressed about. But there are still parts of the city and just outside that can be kind of affordable.

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I'm still learning + finding where I fit in, I've only been doing it for about 2 years after deskwork drove me insane. Recently I've been doing a lot of tile, flooring, edit: roofing and paint (int and ext) and I've been enjoying it. I only really gently caress with high end tile though. Would like to learn plumbing and electrical though. Definitely not ready to pimp myself out, I was more saying I could suggest good contractors if he needed, who I may or may not end up subbing for =V If you need cheap labor though, I'm never doing anything on weekends.

I am really loving reliable though. Not being an alcoholic puts me a step ahead of the majority of other subs in the area.

My family's favorite tile sub isn't too far from aging out and I think he's been pretty busy/unbookable. I'll see if they've found another sub yet to begin transitioning to if you're up for it, or if you want an old sod to learn from I can get you his name/number. I believe he's mid to high end, at least, all of the business they send him is.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

I'm at 20 minutes in the morning and 30 in the afternoon, but I also have a reverse commute and leave at 6:15a.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I'm going to the Pacific Raceways Northwest Nationals on august 7th and 8th, we should do a NHRA Top Fuel goon meet.

Have you already bought tickets? I've never been to top fuel and have always wanted to go. I bet Quite a Tool would be down too and we could carpool if y'all want.

• Locked thread