Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Have you ever really really wanted to buy something for your dog/cat/ fish/ wallaby/ hedgehog and not been able to find good information on the product or options on what other alternatives there are? Ever bought something and had such a terrible experience with it that you would never wish it on another human being?

Here's your chance to help inform others and (hopefully) get info to help you make good purchasing decisions!

I'd like to keep this thread both informative and helpful- please post a decent review or opinion on whatever product it is that you are recommending or recommending against. No need for something super indepth, but something more than THIS IS AWESOME or THIS SUCKED please!

Here is an example (from me) of the general format/ idea for review in this thread- please feel free to deviate from this as needed, I just figured people might like to have an idea of how to approach this.

Tru-Fit Smart Harness, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED- This harness and the associated strap are easy to use to restrain your dog with seatbelts in any car. Maybe not the safest option, but safer than allowing the dog to roam around in the car. Harness fits well on my oddly shaped dog and is now also my everyday walking harness as it is durable, comfortable for the dog, and easy to put on (it slips over the dog's head) and buckles under the dog's chest. Worth a look.

KONG Wobbler, RECOMMENDED- This treat dispensing toy is very easy and a good entry level food dispensing toy for dogs. It comes in a variety of sizes and appears to be fairly durable. My dog has eaten almost ever meal from it for over a year and a half and it has held up well and is easy to wash and clean. Can be made harder for your dog, but you might as well get a buster cube.

KONG WUBBA, NOT RECOMMENDED FOR HEAVY CHEWERS- Toy was easily dissected and destroyed by my dog. Not indestructable, but squeaks nicely. Just expensive for something that doesn't last long.

Don't feel like you need to format things this nicely, but have at it! I'm sure we've all got a lot of experience and products we love to recommend to other pet owners or warn them away from. Also feel free to post photo evidence if you have it.

Info on recalls of products also welcome here.

Please avoid recommending foods in here- treats and chews are okay, but the nutrition thread is a more appropriate location for food chat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

This post reserved for recall information and extra good reviews.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Recommended- Omega Paw Tricky Treat Ball

This was a PISS gift and I really like it. It's soft vinyl so it isn't loud when treats are in it. Only downside is it's not that easy to clean and you really can't get the last 1-2 treats out. Even I tried and couldn't without filling it with water.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Tags! I'm crazy about tags! Let me tell you about some tags!

In my mind the best value for a utilitarian tag is the collar tag from boomerang tags. They slide or clip onto collars (up to an inch wide) and don't jingle, don't wear down from rubbing on other tags, don't fall off rings, and fit a ton of info. Mine has my dog's name, my phone number, NEEDS MEDS DAILY ANXIETY DISORDER and has his microchip number. Seen here (the silver one attached to the collar):

I am also a big fan of stamped metal tags with funny little sayings on them. They aren't as practical but I think they're cute so I ended up with a bunch.

The most expensive ones I have, but also the highest quality are from Fetching Tags. They're expensive for a tag but there is a 40% (I think) discount for recently adopted pets if you email them the adoption paperwork with an adoption date on it. They're big and thick but surprisingly light. I love how clear the writing is even from a distance and they're super sturdy. I've heard the owner may have had some personal problems recently but I've never had a problem with them sending it out promptly.

Sort of middle of the road in terms of price and quality is Mad Dog Metalworks. Not as thick as FT but sturdy and light and the writing is nice and clear. They have some unique stamps and do some really creative designs. The only problem is the customer service is kind of terrible and don't be surprised if it takes upward of 2 months to get your tags. I like the product but I try not to buy from them unless they have a really great deal going and I'm prepared to wait 3 months to get my tag.

The cheapest is Diva Dog Charms. The tags aren't as bold and don't have quite the same polished look but they're solid and will last. The customer service is fantastic and when she accidentally put the wrong phone number on mine she not only fixed it but she refunded my shipping and offered me free stuff.

If you like more colorful tags there's Dog Tag Art. They print any image you want and have a gallery of stuff to choose from if you don't have something in mind to upload. You can have phone numbers, web addresses or email addresses printed on them and they have a service that you can store your info on a special website in case someone finds your dog and can't get a hold of you with the printed phone number. I have one with a medical alert symbol on it for my dog that stays on his traveling gear.

(image stolen from my santee 6 ethyl bearcat)

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

CUZ dog toys - highly recommended. I got a pair of medium squeaky toys when I got Kalli, and despite like 7 months of heavy play they still squeak up a storm.

Not recommended if squeaky toys make you wanna smash poo poo up though.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

wtftastic posted:

KONG WUBBA, NOT RECOMMENDED FOR HEAVY CHEWERS- Toy was easily dissected and destroyed by my dog. Not indestructable, but squeaks nicely. Just expensive for something that doesn't last long.

On the other hand, I have an old (9 years in March) dog who loves the Wet Wubba. She would have shredded it in no time as a younger dog, but now she loves it. The neoprene is softer than the normal Wubba covering, which she seems to like. It's hard to squeak, which is good for a dog that hates squeakers. The real appeal is that it floats and dries out quickly after getting wet, and the orange color stands out well in the lake. I'd recommend it with reservations.

What I actually wanted to recommend, though, is the TreatStik, a food-dispensing toy. It's pretty basic- just a rolling hard plastic flashlight shape with a single hole for dispensing treats. What really makes it one of Beck's favorite toys is that it's designed to be picked up by your dog, unlike most puzzle toys. This is loving great for me too because it means she can pick it up and pull it out when it gets stuck under or behind something- I don't have to come save it for her. She DOES like to throw it, though, so it's, uh, probably not a good idea if you have things like glass coffee tables.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Yes! I was just looking for this thread.

I petsit for a lot of rich people, so I see a lot of dumb pet poo poo that cost way too much money. Recently I petsit for a lady who had 3 Litter Genies. I thought they were a total scam and would just stink up the place, but I'm really sold on it.

So, The Litter Genie is basically a diaper pail for your cat poop. It comes with this endless bag that you just tie off at the bottom, and you cut it with the little cutting mechanism when it's full. They say that one refill can last up two months with one cat, but I think it'll be fine with my two cats.

This stupid thing is fantastic if you live in an apartment and are a lazy gently caress who can't manage to bring the poop out before work every day. In a small space? It still doesn't manage to stink up the entire house the same way scooping it into a bag or trash can does. I don't know how it does it, but once you drop everything in there, it just stops smelling. I figure that the people who made Diaper Genie must be pros at figuring out how to make poo poo not stink.

Extra plus? It's like $20 for a starter pack and you can find two refills for $10 at some stores. It's basically less expensive than actually buying litter.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

wtftastic posted:

Tru-Fit Smart Harness, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED- This harness and the associated strap are easy to use to restrain your dog with seatbelts in any car. Maybe not the safest option, but safer than allowing the dog to roam around in the car. Harness fits well on my oddly shaped dog and is now also my everyday walking harness as it is durable, comfortable for the dog, and easy to put on (it slips over the dog's head) and buckles under the dog's chest. Worth a look.

You'd say this is a good walking harness then? I've been thinking about getting one for my corgi but he was able to slip the last one I had (which I think was pretty cheap which would explain that)

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

C-Euro posted:

You'd say this is a good walking harness then? I've been thinking about getting one for my corgi but he was able to slip the last one I had (which I think was pretty cheap which would explain that)

It works well for me- there are metal adjustable buckles on the front and the under chest buckles/straps are also adjustable. I'm not sure (if your dog was really dedicated to it) it would prevent a dog slipping out. My dog loves his harness. I've also been able to use it since he lost some weight because it was pretty adjustable.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
JW Amaze-a-ball. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. If you have a dog that loves treat-dispensing toys, they'll probably enjoy this. I have no idea how it would stand up to a heavy chewer since Daisy doesn't chew it (it's difficult for her to really grab). Basically there are some alternating platforms inside the ball that the treats have to bounce around to get past and out when the dog rolls it around.

The huge bonus? It's a soft rubber ball, so it's very quiet. The dog isn't whackin' some hard plastic toy around driving you batshit. It holds about a cup of kibble, so it's great to use for her meals.

Edit: Also so far it's been fairly easy to clean, but I've only rinsed it off and let it air dry. Dunno if it's dishwasher safe. Things rinse off it easily, though, stuff doesn't get obnoxiously stuck to it. And if you find the treats come out too easily you could cover part of the hole with tape to make it harder.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 5, 2014

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

PetSafe Electronic Pet Feeder (2 Well), HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - This thing. This loving thing. It changed my life. My fatty cat was constantly begging for food, yowling for hours before dinner time. Finally fed up, I bought this after reviewing basin-style feeders and determining that my cat would probably just reach up inside the drat thing like other people's fatty cats did. This thing is awesome. You fill each side with food and set the timers for up to 48 hours (they're crank timers, so it's not 100% accurate, but you can get it within an hour of the time you want). I feed my cat twice a day with it, or I can set one for 24 hours and the other for 48 if I'm going to be out of town for a few days. My cat has never managed to break into this thing, despite spending the first few weeks trying his damnedest. It's not a mechanism they can pop open, it just will not give until the timer clicks and releases the lid. Cat even knocked it off the counter once, but it just kept ticking and didn't pop open. Not only that, but it's been running on the same battery (a single loving AA) since I bought it over a year ago, so it's super economical. I love this thing. My cat no longer yowls at me for food, but instead tears rear end across the house when he hears one of the lids pop open.

PetSafe SlimCat Interactive Toy and Food Dispenser, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - This was given to me as a PISSmas gift a few years ago, and it's amazing. You can adjust the toy so food falls out more easily, or set it to a higher difficulty. Great for cats who gobble down their food too quickly, this actually forces them to slow down by making them work for the food and only giving it to them in small quantities. I've also found it makes my cat reconsider how much he really needs to eat. If it's all sitting there in a bowl, he'll scarf it all down, but when he has to work for it, he only eats when he needs at the moment and then will come back later when he's hungry again. Perfect for anyone with a ham for a cat.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Petmate tag changer NO.
The amazon reviews are enough, but I saw it in stores before seeing reviews thinking it would be rad. The concept is cool, quick change the tags on different collars AND tags in case you want to switch those out, but the flaw is that the collar clip is so weak that youre just going to lose your tags somewhere. I lost the dogs rabies tag out on a walk. I dont know of any other tag holder out there exists to change both ends, I saw recommendations for using an s-biner and lost a new tag that way as well.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I'm so sorry, but I couldn't help but notice Major is enforcing his munchies onto a pidgeon :3:

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Hoping I can get a recommendation in here. I need a tool to remove (short) cat hair from our low-pile kitchen and entryway rugs. I used to toss the rugs in the wash, but with 3 cats the frequent washing is tearing up the rubber backing.

I don't know if something like this would actually work or if I should get something with little rubber nubbins. I would prefer something handheld versus broom-sized.

an expert
Jul 18, 2011

fork bomb posted:

Hoping I can get a recommendation in here. I need a tool to remove (short) cat hair from our low-pile kitchen and entryway rugs. I used to toss the rugs in the wash, but with 3 cats the frequent washing is tearing up the rubber backing.

I don't know if something like this would actually work or if I should get something with little rubber nubbins. I would prefer something handheld versus broom-sized.

I got a cheapo plastic squeegee at the dollar store and use it to get Otis hair out of basically anything. You seriously just squeegee it like you would a window. It's not perfect but eh, it was a dollar and is hella effective on carpet, furniture, blankets, etc.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

an expert posted:

I got a cheapo plastic squeegee at the dollar store and use it to get Otis hair out of basically anything. You seriously just squeegee it like you would a window. It's not perfect but eh, it was a dollar and is hella effective on carpet, furniture, blankets, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion! I would love a $1 solution.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

fork bomb posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! I would love a $1 solution.

A Kong Zoom Groom might also work, but if the hair comes out easily, then the squeegee can't be beat for that price.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Chido posted:

I'm so sorry, but I couldn't help but notice Major is enforcing his munchies onto a pidgeon :3:

I also highly recommend pigeons for dog munching purposes. Mine only gets free-range, grain fed barn pigeon so I can't comment on any other pigeons you might find.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Malalol posted:

Petmate tag changer NO.
The amazon reviews are enough, but I saw it in stores before seeing reviews thinking it would be rad. The concept is cool, quick change the tags on different collars AND tags in case you want to switch those out, but the flaw is that the collar clip is so weak that youre just going to lose your tags somewhere. I lost the dogs rabies tag out on a walk. I dont know of any other tag holder out there exists to change both ends, I saw recommendations for using an s-biner and lost a new tag that way as well.

I had one like this a couple years back and yes, it was a piece of poo poo. I got a new one for PISS (ugh I can't remember who - Pardalis/Captain Foxy or SuperTwo maybe?) and it has been excellent. Shadow's worn it through all sorts of poo poo and they haven't broken off and it's super easy to change. I tried Googling it but no luck. :(

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

As far a treats go:

Tillman's Training Tips, Highly Recommended- Treats come in a variety of flavors (so if your dog is a delicate flower, there are options), are easy to break, smell good, and dogs seem to like them. Sort of expensive, but great for training treats.

Bil Jac Little Jacs Liver Treats, Recommended- The little jacs are fine for larger dogs and can be broken in half for small and medium sized dogs. Unless you have a big rear end dog (GSD, Great Dane) you might as well stick with these smaller treats to avoid over feeding treats. Are easy to break, but smell strongly of liver, and feel kind of gross to handle. Dogs go nuts for them, but they're probably on the junkier side for treats.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Malalol posted:

Petmate tag changer NO.

http://www.rubitclip.com/
For those looking for a tag clip then I highly recommend the rubit. We have one for each dog and it works wonderfully. Dexter had one break but that was because we switched collars daily and it got a lot of use. Even with that it lasted over a year.

Chicken in Black
May 22, 2005

So lovely
Recommend K & H Snuggle Up Bird Warmer, my stepson got one for my lovebird for Christmas and my lovebird cuddles up to it every night, as well as on occasion during the day. It offers radiant heat, maintaining 102-107f. It's held in place by two sturdy bolts with wingnuts from the back, power cord is smack in the middle of the back and wrapped with wire for a long way so that it's difficult to chew if somehow your bird does reach it.

I also recommend Thermo perch for pet birds. I bought the small size for my ancient cockatiel, he wouldn't stand on it (I'm not sure if it was slippery for him or what) but it offered radiant heat to help keep his cage a bit warmer. After he died it went into the cage with our Jenday conure, who uses it often. It offers a sturdy, warm spot to stand on, maintains a constant temperature, is secured by a coupler to the cage and has a wire wrapped power cord to reduce bird chewing/shock risk. Goldy uses it at night and sometimes in the day, and nothing is much better than having warm birdy feet stepping up onto you :3: I've had the Thermo perch well over a year without any problems.

Honestly both styles work great, I check them daily to make sure they aren't too hot or worn. I'd read mixed reviews for them but am very pleased that I've got them, my birds seems happy too.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

cryingscarf posted:

http://www.rubitclip.com/
For those looking for a tag clip then I highly recommend the rubit. We have one for each dog and it works wonderfully. Dexter had one break but that was because we switched collars daily and it got a lot of use. Even with that it lasted over a year.

I was wondering if those were any good.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I have one and like it. I bought the medium one because I didnt want such a large one and it doesnt fit 2inch collars, but nbd...

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND Nylabone Happy Moppy - I -LOVE- this toy. Comes in two different sizes and Ellie has used both. Great for fetch, tug, or just general getting fringies in your dog's grill. I bought one before bringing E home, and it was quickly a favorite of Koji, the dog who loves to tug on anything he thinks he might dismantle. I do have to keep tightening it a bit as it gets tugged enough to get loose, but the dogs never care and will play with the strings after it finally gets demolished. You can get them at Petsmart but they tend to be a bit pricey there, so def to to amazon. While in training class, Ellie would only take treats for rewards except when "floppy" was out. :3:

Recommended to any new puppy owners and they are always huge hits.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

wtftastic posted:

A Kong Zoom Groom might also work, but if the hair comes out easily, then the squeegee can't be beat for that price.

My old carpet used to hang onto hair like anything, and I found that any slicker brush did a good job of removing it.

Is there any point to me posting reviews for stuff that might only be bought in Aus/NZ? If so...

Vitapet Mega Bone - compressed beef bone, like a rawhide but doesn't break off into small choking bits. Has lasted for over two weeks now between the two of my dogs, and it's only half-finished, (although my dogs are small and this is a ~20cm long bone). It doesn't smell and doesn't appear to have stained the carpet anywhere. I'll be buying more when this one's gone.

Congobongo
Feb 6, 2004
i break for dinosaurs

Smellrose
Any recommendations on bully sticks or alternatives? They're usually really expensive and smell but my dog loves them and they don't cause any digestion issues.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Is there any point to me posting reviews for stuff that might only be bought in Aus/NZ? If so...

drat straight. There are always antepodean lurkers.

And on that note:

TA DA! Da Bird - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED now available in New Zealand from https://www.pet.co.nz. This is the best cat toy in the history of cat toys and it is finally available on our shores. It's ridiculously overpriced in NZD and probably cheaper to order bulk replacement lures via Amazon, but it's here regardless! Just don't leave the lure out otherwise your cat will shred it.

And a whole bunch of cat groomery:

Kong Zoom Groom for cats - RECOMMENDED, NOT FOR LONG HAIR: my long haired cat hates it, my short haired cat thinks it is amazing and turns into a wriggling pile of uselessness and happiness when it is used. Try and use outside as you and your immediate surroundings will be covered in fur by the end of it.

Furminator - Long Haired for Cats - NOT RECOMMENDED: this pulls Hugo's fur and makes him angry. The comb blades aren't long enough to penetrate past the first layer of fur so all it does it yank on the top layer and does absolutely nothing about shedding fur. It works better on Decoy (short haired) but I stopped using it after suspecting it was either pulling non-loose fur out or cutting it. His fur always felt prickly and weird afterwards as well.

GlamourPuss Moulting Comb - RECOMMENDED - LONG HAIR: http://www.pet.co.nz/product/cat/moulting-comb/7784 this is my Hugo-brush, there are many brushes like it but this one is mine. It is the single best method I have found of removing shedding fur from my boofcat before it floats away to cover everything I own.

Seriously, all the brush reviews are because I wasted a bunch of cash trying to find something that would help me deal with Hugo's moulting. Over spring he was surrounded by an aura of floating cat hair, and he lost his winter lion mane in about 3 weeks. Ironically, it's the basics that have worked out for the best - moulting comb, flea comb and slicker brush. $40 total.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
Kong Squeezz Bone, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - My dog is of the SEEK AND DESTROY variety. Give her any new toy and within five minutes she has found its weak spot and sets about gleefully dismantling it. She has demolished all manner of "tough" toys within seconds, and up to this point the only thing that has stood up to her long term is the black extreme Kong. She also looooves to chew, and whittles Nylabones down to sharp shards and then bleeds all over herself within an hour. Finding non-food based things for her to safely chew on has been a challenge. Until we got this. I know Amazon reviews are mixed, which leads me to believe that somehow there are worse chewers than my dog out there in the world, and I can only speak to my own experience, but this toy (and its squeaker) has stood up to more than a week's worth of intense chewing. It's soft, squeakable, doesn't run the risk of slicing up her mouth, and so far she has only managed to dent it a little bit. In other words, it's like magic.

I think I'm going to buy a few more to keep on hand, so that when she eventually destroys it (and I'm sure she will, it's just going to take a little more time than usual) she can have her new favorite toy back. This has just been wonderful for someone who is used to seeing new toys in pieces on the floor within minutes.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Congobongo posted:

Any recommendations on bully sticks or alternatives? They're usually really expensive and smell but my dog loves them and they don't cause any digestion issues.

SUPER RECOMMEND Best Bully Sticks is where I buy my bullies. They have grab bags etc as well as frequent sales and shipping is pretty cheap. They also offer odor free types which only have a slight hint of cheese kind of smell instead of instant bull piss death. (it's from the way BBS dries their sticks, the ones you find in regular stores tend to dry them flat, while BBS dries them hanging up so everything drips out of them while they dry, so even their regular kind don't smell as much.)

They also offer things like Himalayan Dog Chews, fish, rabbit, lamb, sweet potato, etc. as well as some toys. The first time you order something you get logged in with their email and they frequently send coupons for either sitewide sales or specific items on sale.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
Seek-a-Treat discovery wheel - Not so much :( I bought this because it was on sale and my puppy was chowing down her kibble too fast and thought it'd be a fun way for her to "find" her food/treats. I used small kibble and treats. She was around 9 weeks at the time and it took her all of 5 minutes to get all the food out. She figured out that if she just paws at it madly that it will slide each tile over, exposing the food.

E: some amazon reviews say it worked better for their cat... May have to try this.

Any suggestions on puppy bones to chew on? She really likes these: sweet potato flavored puppy nylabones but tends to go through them a lot quicker than I would hope. She's 11 weeks and about 10lbs. She likes to get it down to about a 1-2 inch piece and then swallows it if I dont take it from her in time.

anaaki fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 6, 2014

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure if this is a cool chew toy or some kind of sex toy. I've yet to find any chew that will last more than 5 minutes with my rottie/collie cross and this is probably no different.
Only big bones last for any length of time but the noise he makes chewing them is awful and the constant supervision isn't always practical. Hopefully one day I'll find something that can withstand his jaws of doom. *sigh*

http://www.amazon.com/West-Paw-Desi...IN%3DB005GYLXSI

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

pants cat posted:

I'm not sure if this is a cool chew toy or some kind of sex toy. I've yet to find any chew that will last more than 5 minutes with my rottie/collie cross and this is probably no different.
Only big bones last for any length of time but the noise he makes chewing them is awful and the constant supervision isn't always practical. Hopefully one day I'll find something that can withstand his jaws of doom. *sigh*

http://www.amazon.com/West-Paw-Desi...IN%3DB005GYLXSI

My dog loves to chew on this toy, had it for five months before a visiting dog broke it. We have a few in rotation at the (small dog/puppy) rescue I work with and so far none have been damaged at all.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate

Serella posted:

PetSafe Electronic Pet Feeder (2 Well), HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - This thing. This loving thing. It changed my life. My fatty cat was constantly begging for food, yowling for hours before dinner time. Finally fed up, I bought this after reviewing basin-style feeders and determining that my cat would probably just reach up inside the drat thing like other people's fatty cats did. This thing is awesome. You fill each side with food and set the timers for up to 48 hours (they're crank timers, so it's not 100% accurate, but you can get it within an hour of the time you want). I feed my cat twice a day with it, or I can set one for 24 hours and the other for 48 if I'm going to be out of town for a few days. My cat has never managed to break into this thing, despite spending the first few weeks trying his damnedest. It's not a mechanism they can pop open, it just will not give until the timer clicks and releases the lid. Cat even knocked it off the counter once, but it just kept ticking and didn't pop open. Not only that, but it's been running on the same battery (a single loving AA) since I bought it over a year ago, so it's super economical. I love this thing. My cat no longer yowls at me for food, but instead tears rear end across the house when he hears one of the lids pop open.

PetSafe SlimCat Interactive Toy and Food Dispenser, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - This was given to me as a PISSmas gift a few years ago, and it's amazing. You can adjust the toy so food falls out more easily, or set it to a higher difficulty. Great for cats who gobble down their food too quickly, this actually forces them to slow down by making them work for the food and only giving it to them in small quantities. I've also found it makes my cat reconsider how much he really needs to eat. If it's all sitting there in a bowl, he'll scarf it all down, but when he has to work for it, he only eats when he needs at the moment and then will come back later when he's hungry again. Perfect for anyone with a ham for a cat.

Is there a compartment to put ice in the automatic feeder for wet food?

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Maximusi posted:

Is there a compartment to put ice in the automatic feeder for wet food?

Actually, yes. The trays lift out and there is a bit of space below them. If you're interested, I can take a pic of it sans trays.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
That would be great, actually.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Not a problem, I'll try and remember tonight when I refill it.

scunish
Feb 27, 2006

A doggy rescue!

Serella posted:

I dunno man, I bought that automatic pet feeder as well because I've also got an uncontrollable fatty who wakes us at like 3AM, 4AM, 5AM, whatever, to feed him. This little bastard starts by meowing, moves on to trying to dig us out of bed, and if that doesn't work, will bite cords (he has electrocuted himself in the past and knows this ALWAYS makes us jump), eat plastic, or attack our other cat. Anyway, we bought one and the VERY first night heard a ruckus downstairs. Went down to see, and the jerk of a cat had found a way to pry the thing open, and had eaten BOTH sides of food. So. If you have a cat that is really, really, really, really food obsessed, YMMV with this product.

Another thing we've tried that I'm NOT recommending is the Meowspace at http://meowspace.biz/. It's expensive as hell but has a really cool concept - it's a see-through box, basically, with a cat flap that only allows a particular cat through. So if you have a dog that eats cat litter, you can keep the litterbox in there and the dog can't eat it. Or, in my case, if your eating disorder cat eats your other cat's food all the time, you can put the starving cat's food in there and only allow him access, so Fatty McFatterton can't eat it.

EXCEPT that while this is logically cool, it totally requires your cat to be willing to go in and use the thing, which mine isn't. So it's useless. Also, the construction isn't very good. For the ridiculous amount of money this thing costs, you'd think it would be sturdier. It's really flimsy, bendy plastic that is already threatening to break every time Fatty jumps on top of it. Did they not take into account the fact that cats jump on things?

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009

Serella posted:

I can't recommend this enough. Our cat Charlie was a beast when we got him, and all his meals went the same way: binge and purge, binge and purge. He loves this thing and doesn't get sick anymore (unless he gets into our other cat's food), and it also means we can 'free-feed' him, so to speak; as long as there's food in it, he never goes begging, and he rarely overeats.

Incidentally, can anyone think of a device that does the same sort of thing, but with canned food? I have to literally spoon-feed him wet food or else he eats it too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

As premised, here's a pic of the interior of the timed feeder. That's about 2" of height without the tray in, so you'd have about 1-1.5" for ice or an ice pack underneath.

One of a Kind posted:

Incidentally, can anyone think of a device that does the same sort of thing, but with canned food? I have to literally spoon-feed him wet food or else he eats it too fast.

You could put it inside a kong toy that is made for use with paste-type treats. He'd have to really work at that to get out all out.

• Locked thread