Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

My Neighbor Seki: The Master of Killing Time is a surreal daily life comedy, based on the hilarious manga by Takuma Morishige.

It's your typical girl-meets-boy, girl sees boy building a crazy contraption on his desk, setting up the drama of a robot family, or throwing darts with his feet, girl tries to resist getting distracted, girl gives up and gets sucked in anyway, and girl gets annoyed at falling for it yet again sort of drama. Not always in that order! And somehow, despite all of Yokoi's best intentions, the teacher never seems to notice, even when Seki builds something totally outrageous!

The wacky and weird things that come up on Seki's desk never fail to draw poor Yokoi's attention, and although the plot and setup is pretty much the same every single time, it never fails to amuse to see what crazy hijinks Seki will be up to next. It's a very cute, gentle and quite inoffensive but hilarious comedy, and we all love it in the Surreal Daily Life manga thread, so I've got high hopes that this will be one of the better comedy animes of the season.

Cast

Rumi Yokoi

The hapless protagonist of the show. A dutiful and studious girl, but perhaps just a bit nosy, although if the boy next to you is building a giant chess piece out of other chess pieces and smashing the poor little pieces into bits, well, morality dictates that you must intervene, right?

Toshinari Seki

The fiendish antagonist and Yokoi's nemesis! Always manages to pull a miracle out of his desk somehow. Never pays attention in class, much to Yokoi's dismay.

Gotoh

She got the wrong idea about them and now she totally ships the two.

--------------------------------------------

Website

The show airs on Sundays and will be simulcast on Crunchyroll

Let's enjoy this great new show together! :)

a kitten posted:

yokoi-in-a-nutshell.gif

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I love the manga, so I'm 100% onboard for the ride.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Excited! This is one of my favorite ongoing mangas; hopefully it translates well into animation.

I hope they have an unreasonably high budget to animate Seki's shenanigans.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So excited for this, hopefully Crunchyroll doesn't screw me by not being American and poor though :v:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Can't wait for Seki to distract me from watching all these other anime this season.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Those were 8 great minutes.

I wonder, is the material anime original? I imagine that contraptions that work well in stills may not work well in animation, and vice versa.

And the ending is gold.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
What a nice 8 minutes to spend. It's definitely going to be fun seeing Seki's weirder projects animated.

The Seki-brand lives on. :allears:

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

That was great, this is probably going to be the best anime of the season.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Haha! That was pretty well-done! Yokoi's extended "WHOAAAAAAAAAAAA" when Seki unveiled the big firework and the excessively dramatic choral music that played when he set the dominoes in motion were the best parts, I think. The ending credits were pretty nice too, and I liked how the OP is self-referential.

nielsm posted:

I wonder, is the material anime original? I imagine that contraptions that work well in stills may not work well in animation, and vice versa.

Well, as far as the material goes, the first episode is pretty much a word-for-word adaptation of the first chapter of the manga. We'll have to see if the anime adds anything else as time goes on, I guess.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 5, 2014

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

That was fun! It'll be nice to follow a show with everyone else for a change, instead of always playing catch-up as the anime scrub I am.

I didn't know that shows came in eight-minute varieties, but that length seems perfect for this sort of thing. I imagine each episode will either up the ante of the last, or else move in a completely different direction. It's poised to keep our interest for quite some time, especially as a short diversion to other things. Looking forward to the next update!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That was pretty great. Not really digging the OP song and some of the expressions, but otherwise it was a solid episode.
They had great animation with the dominoes. I especially love that red button with the skull, that was a nice touch :allears:

Excellent opening and credits though :3:

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 5, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The dramatic music at appropriate moments really makes the show.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I really like both the OP and ED. For the show itself, I think the 8 minute format suits it pretty well it might get stale after a solid half-hour 22 minutes.

And just in case anyone else didn't know, here's a cool little bit of trivia: the guy who writes the manga--Takuma Morishige is the younger brother of Akiko Higashimura, author of Kuragehime/Jellyfish Princess.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have a soft spot for adaptations that feel like they completely understand their source (think JoJo). Nothing was changed because nothing needed changing, and the creative decisions they do make fit perfectly. Oh and the ending is so so good,

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

yokoi-in-a-nutshell.gif

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This could be a lot of fun. I like how he's drumming in time with the outro music.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
The OP caught me by surprise.

Wait, are they seriously showing only rough sketchs? Oh, it's just the script for anime. Wait, he's making the anime. Aaaaannnnnnddddd, now he's having Yokoi for VA

I kinda hope they make anime originals instead of adaptaions.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

a kitten posted:

yokoi-in-a-nutshell.gif

I've added this lovely gif to the OP. Thanks! It really is Yokoi (and this show) in a nutshell-- the Five Stages of Getting Sucked Into Seki's Pace: 1) Distraction, 2) Involvement, 3) Enjoyment, 4) Realization, and 5) Annoyance.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think I've ever laughed this hard with a first episode since Nichibros. By the ending credits I was actually trying not to smile like a moron. :allears:

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

That look she gave after being hushed killed me, I'm dead.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Here's another screencap from that episode:

i'm not sure why this guy likes donkey dicks so much. there was an :nws: pic here.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 6, 2014

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I don't think My Neighbor Seki works as well in animated form. It has too many inner monologues. The OP/ED were pretty amusing though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Tyberius posted:

That look she gave after being hushed killed me, I'm dead.

Well, he is trying to concentrate.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

drat this first episode was pretty funny

I'm looking forward to the next episodes. Never read the manga so I hope the jokes stay pretty fresh for 7~ minutes an episode

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That owned, especially the ED. I do agree that they should cut down with the internal monologues though.

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."
Caught this by accident on Crunchyroll this morning. I'm hooked. Silver Spoon level hooked.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

ViggyNash posted:

That owned, especially the ED. I do agree that they should cut down with the internal monologues though.

What's funny is that while the manga made it look like an internal monologue, the anime shows that she's actually saying almost everything out loud.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

LaTex Fetish posted:

I hope the jokes stay pretty fresh for 7~ minutes an episode

People said the same thing about the manga but I haven't heard anyone say they thought it was getting stale or anything even after 40+ chapters.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Seki can always find a new way to fascinate.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Joshlemagne posted:

People said the same thing about the manga but I haven't heard anyone say they thought it was getting stale or anything even after 40+ chapters.

Like all good serials with a formula, Seki does a great job of testing the limits of the concept.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

Joshlemagne posted:

It doesn't. It never does. It even has running jokes that manage to stay fresh.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
A quarter of the series' entertainment value comes from seeing what new games Seki plays in each new chapter. Another quarter comes from seeing Yokoi getting steadily drawn into Seki's pace and graduating from passive observer to active collaborator in his games.

The remaining half comes from Gotoh (the poofy twin-tailed girl in the OP) and her hilarious misunderstanding of the nature of Seki and Yokoi's relationship.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
He must've cleaned house at the a store closing sale stationary department. That must have been several cases worth of erasers stuffed in there.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
5 minute episodes :negative:

At least they can actually deliver something, it is a treat to see this stuff animated.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009
Now we just need a Sakamoto Desu Ga anime.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I wish I could go back and experience this for the first time, because knowing that the firework wasn't going to go off just made the sequence funny instead of tense-funny.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh Snapalope posted:

Now we just need a Sakamoto Desu Ga anime.

Nope, what would truly save anime is a "Sumire-16 Sai!" anime.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

DrSunshine posted:

Nope, what would truly save anime is a "Sumire-16 Sai!" anime.

I would love that so much. Imagine if Sugita voiced the old man voicing Sumire :allears:

More relevant to this thread, I don't think they could've made a better OP/ED for this show.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

This is super neat! I actually really like the terse format; nice little filler when I don't have time or desire to watch a longer episode.

I also love the ED theme. Does anyone know who's doing the music for this? It hardcore reminded me of Kanno Yoko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Quidnose posted:

I also love the ED theme. Does anyone know who's doing the music for this? It hardcore reminded me of Kanno Yoko.

I'd also like to know. The ED is really catchy, and I want to know if there's a full version out there or something similar to listen to.

• Locked thread