Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I do love your sense of timing with just letting the theme music run for a while before talking. :)

Also I kinda liked Thief 3. :colbert: (Shalebridge cradle in particular.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wait, did you make that Paul Denton images in Eve Online? :raise:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Hey, now, no need to defend Thief 3 against me, but you have to admit it was a step down from 2, especially because of how tiny the levels were.

I admittedly haven't played Thief 2 but yes the levels were ridiculously tiny. Even I realized as much while playing.

I didn't, but someone did. Maybe it was in Poser? Hell if I know.

Ah, could be that as I guess, I just thought it looked a lot like the Eve Online avatar creator.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Farecoal posted:

I never got past the moat, the bot always destroyed my legs before I could jump across the cardboard boxes and I never realized there was another way across :eng99:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxi7JRJrod4

I almost prefer the Malkavian mod edits to the dialogue.

I thought you were a GEP gun.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

M.Ciaster posted:

I'd also like to post the absolute best piece of video game music I've ever heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBPK_oXeJgA
(fun fact: Alexander Brandon, the guy who made the soundtrack for this game, also did the soundtrack for Unreal and a bunch of other classic games)

That is not The Synapse/Hong Kong streets. :colbert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHQZNNajxOk&hd=1

(But yeah, the UNATCO track is pretty good.)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Xander77 posted:

That's where DE:HR fails, IMO. It's got a decent orchestral score, but nothing particularly memorable of hummable. Yahtzee isn't going to compose a little thing to sing with friends based on Icarus or whatever.

Sure it's not particularly hummable maybe but I still consider it some amazingly great ambient music that manages to feel very cyberpunk and bleak without being overly techno or electric, wouldn't call it a pure orchestral score though.
If anything the orchestral rendition of Icarus is pretty good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hesg2_q-B-Q

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

HR is a riff on some of the slicker contemporary spy movies in an ouevre of either total squalor or refined Victorian elegance; Bourne, Bond (whose reboot character mirrors HR's politics through being explicitly a working class orphan alternately aping or outright making fun of the aristocratic aloofness of his superiors with a scene where moneypenny literally says this to the audience in case they don't catch it with their eyes and ears in the rest of the loving movie), etc. Its score reflects that as being Generically Orchestral in the actiony bits, and at its strongest when it takes a backseat in the ambience.

DX is a mongrel bastard child of William Gibson and Neal Stephenson and every Alex Jones broadcast* having sweet lovebabies. The child exists but nobody knows who the father is or the mother for that matter. It grows up alone listening to Nine Inch Nails, gets a tattoo of Philip K. Dick on its bicep, leaves home, changes his name to 80's Era John Carpenter and goes on a secret spy mission to capture a terrorist leader hiding in the Statue of Liberty. Barring absolute incompetence, a composer would have to get up really early in the morning to have the music backing that beautiful mishmash have less character than the soundtrack in HR. DX1 is its own animal. Both soundtracks are really effective for what they're trying to do, though.

tldr: good point, i agree

*Having lived in Austin for two years I find the Alex Jones/DX/Ion Storm Austin connection really interesting. Alex Jones and nutty conspiracy poo poo runs deep in this town whose politics trends toward counterlogical persecution complexes as a response to being surrounded by a whole lot of Texas in every direction. There's no way in hell Jones wasn't a major impact on the game's story, you're about as likely to find a copy of the Infowars broadsheet as you are a copy of the local alt-weekly, and the game shares his everything-and-the-kitchen-sink approach to interconnected conspiracy theories.

For a second I thought I had entered CD and was reading a SuperMechaGodzilla post. :v:

Personally, I can see that these modern soundtracks have their strengths, such as emphasizing the mood without drawing attention to themselves, but I prefer music with a more memorable character, something you can listen to on its own merits without a film to prop it up.

Yeah I find this a minor issue these days with the soundtracks coming off as very samey to such an extent that they meld together into one amorphous blob and a lot of the flavour from the old days have disappeared in the urge to sound as movie like as possible. As much as I love Jeremy Soule his stuff has a tendency to meld together, especially his later stuff for Skyrim at least.
The TLoU soundtrack was an amazing fresh new breeze in it's simplicity and yet being so distinctive and does work outside of the game even if it does sound depressing as all hell.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Xander77 posted:

I believe the same in regards to game OST's (and like a proper nerd, I do in fact have everything from Quest for Glory to MGS to [obviously] Final Fantasy in my playlist).

The majority of my playlist is nothing but game music.

Xander77 posted:

These seem overtly busy and full of stuff just for the sake of being full of stuff.

Yeah I wasn't too sold on the DX OC Remix album either, seemed all to jumbled and noisy most of the time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Slimnoid posted:

Unfortunately that's a lot of OCR's albums as of late. That, and a sort of...blandness, that's becoming common with the submitted remixes. But maybe that's just me.

Nah I've noticed that as well, the lastest album of theirs I really enjoyed was the Gunstar Heroes one, the rest just came off as incredibly samey and bland.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Of course you could always just separate the tutorial from the main game instead of making people play through the whole thing every time they want to replay the game.

Which I think was a really 90's/early 00's thing to do if you look at other games such as Half-Life.
And then you had other games like the first Halo game that had the tutorial built into the first mission but then just skipped it whenever you played at higher difficulties.
Something which games almost should do more.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Samopsa posted:

Huh, never knew about the free skill trick. Nice video.

Yeah I didn't know about that either or the second set of medbots for that part.

Xander77 posted:

I think you (*gasp*) neglected to mention the 0451 thing for the first code.

Oh yeah it's 0451, I for some reason thought it was 1845 or something like that. :doh:

Also on the topic of Gibson and the Sprawl trilogy I'd almost say you should read at least the first three for this LP because as I recall them as being quite good. In particularly Neuromancer at least. (Not to mention it served as a bit of inspiration for one part of Escape from New York.)
Shame the last Gibson book I enjoyed reading was Idoru as I found Pattern Recognition to be rather middling and never really touched Spook Country. Guess I was too used to seeing him as a cyberpunk author.

Xander77 posted:

Not to be overtly original, but I can't hear "why contain it?" without "s'cool" playing in my head. (Ditto "I know the commander because he's my pal :)", "prod with the prod" etc)

Guilty as charged.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

(And, minor correction. Escape From New York inspired Neuromancer. Not the other way around.)

Well gently caress me I keep forgetting the obvious things. :doh:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I just have to check, is there a reason why you skipped the extra dialogue with Paul in the beginning or did you just forget about it?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Forgot about it, but I remembered before the end of the mission, if you read my video description.

Ah, to my excuse I rarely tend to read the descriptions for LP videos.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

JC has the nest voiceacting ever and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Although I wouldn't had said no to having JC voiced by Elias Toufexis. That man's voice is just so amazing. :allears:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If I remember right, he's actually married to the voice actress that did Megan.
Which does explain why their dialogue in the beginning works so well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

It works for Isaac and Samus because they're almost entirely alone (and I would've loved if they'd let, say, Jennifer Hale voice Samus in Corruption).

Am I missing something here because Jennifer Hale did voice Samus in all three Prime games. :raise:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Well, yes, technically, but only in as much as she grunted and moaned into a mic for damage sounds. I meant actual dialogue. Not that Corruption had a great script, but there was at least a semblance of competence.

Ah that makes a lot more sense.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of the science corner I was sorta disappointed in the omission of the cancelled RAH-66 Comanche project that was going to be a Stealth helicopter and that most certainly served as a basis for the Ghosthawk/Stealthawk/Silenthawk helicopters.
I almost think that Jock's chopper is partly inspired by the Comanche in terms of looks but then sorta spruced up a bit.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Leave me aloooone.

Well done with the conspiracy corner as well. :golfclap:

Speaking of books regarding conspiracies I have to recommend "Voodoo Histories How conspriacy theory has shaped modern history" by David Aaronovitch which takes a bunch of theories such as the Death of Princess Diana and Kennedy or the great Jewish conspiracy and goes through their history and debunks very well as well as examining why people believe these kind of things.
The chapter dedicated to the book Holy Blood, Holy Grail is one of my favourites. Aptly titled "Holy Blood, Holy Grail, Holy poo poo".
Been a while since I reread it so I guess it's about time I did so.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Your "crazy" voice is an exact copy of SciFi Debis' Janeway voice.

The amount of sinister glee that poured out from his crazy voice was just amazing and I just found myself laughing as he kept going and going.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ulvirich posted:

That is the voice of a DM. Fear it, for the voice of a gleeful DM is terrible to behold. Woe and sorrow be upon their victims, the players.

Goes to show how much of my tabletop RPing is made in front of a computer as that didn't cross my mind at all. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speedball posted:

It'll be a sad day when we do finally meet aliens because that'll lock off so many science fiction possibilities. Remember all those stories about Moon People and how they pretty much vanished after we went to the moon? Try to imagine us meeting an alien race for reals and that colors our perception so much we never write alien fiction ever again.

I'd say that depends entirely on how they look like to be honest. If our first encounter is off actual intelligent life then maybe but if our first encounter is very basic lifeforms then there is really nothing stopping the sci-fi genre to continue writing about alien meetings.

Speaking of aliens and such I recommend reading The Science of Aliens by Clifford Pickover which deals with alternative aliens in a really interesting way. Not to mention their perception of us as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A lot of my initial English education came from games such as Fallout 1 and 2 and movies. Never really learned English entirely from that but it gave me a nice boost.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of China's economy I would like to recommend a BBC documentary from earlier this year called "How China fooled the world" that talks a lot about their current economic growth and what might happen once that starts crumbling as it's apparently built on very shaky grounds.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

And of course the Priory of Sion is on that Illuminati list. Of course. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I must say I like the scientist who tried to sound as a female Hermann as hard as possible. :D

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I started reading heavier book pretty early on in fourth or fifth grade, I mean I devoured a whole bunch of books such as Jurassic Park and a whole bunch of Clancy books at that point and I keep having issues reminding names and faces of people until it gets drilled in like a jackhammer into my head.
So +1 follower to that previous theory I guess.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hammer Floyd posted:

I get the same as a Type 1 Diabetic.

"Hey, I've got this cousin who's got a friend who has a cousin who has a former roomate that knows a doctor and that doctor said that to treat diabetes you should <insert natural remedy> and now they don't need to inject insulin anymore"

*eye twitches*

As a diabetic I'd have to restrain myself to not simply punch anyone who suggested that to me. Or probably just stare.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm kinda disappointed you didn't make more mention of the Spear of Destiny which is probably The thing when it comes to the occult and nazis.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A bomb!
That is a prototype of a much larger system.

Edit: Whenever the topic of singularity comes up I always end up thinking of this:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 8, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Crazy, I could swear I have memories of Jensen going down this huge elevator into a FEMA internment camp, but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere. :psyduck:

Oh that happens at one point but nowhere near the airport as far as I can remember.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kinda disappointed there is no Neuromancer style ending, which would deny Page the control he wants from merging their consciousnesses with Helios.

Problem is though that Helios is a child of the Illuminati and MJ12 and simply wants to rule and restore "order" than anything else.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Red_October_7000 posted:

And Bobbin, read Neuromancer for crying out loud. If you can wrap your head around Umberto Eco, you can probably finish Neuromancer in an afternoon.

Finally bought my own copy of Neuromancer a while ago and re-read it recently. Despite it's age, which only really shows in a couple of places, the book is still absolutely amazing.
Probably should've picked up the others when I had the chance.
Some day I'll actually get around reading Spook Country. Some day. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

kalonZombie posted:

I still have to finish the LP of Thief 3. I only ever got like two videos in.

I've been meaning to replay it myself. Started a run a while ago but didn't get too far into it.

• Locked thread