Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

This is going to be fun. Maybe it's just me, but could you change the HUD colour to a brighter one? The dark blue is a little hard to read with the dark levels in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

During the tutorial you mentioned the choice between cloak and/or radar transparancy, well...

Spoilers regarding mechanics/potentially an exploit(?). I also name 2 locations but kept it vague. Per the thread rule it is not blacked out.

**spoilers**
There is a way to get both cloak and radar transparancy. See: augs are grouped by the "slot" you install them on, and after those slots are used up, you cannot change them. For instance there are two implants for the legs, but only 1 slot. The cloak and radar transparancy augs are grouped in the two subdermal slots, which is also where you install ballistic protection or the EMP shield. If you follow the normal game progression, you'll come across a canister that makes you choose between EMP shield or ballistic protection, thereby consuming one of your slots. Instead, ignore that augmentation upgrade, and you'll find 2 canisters later in the game that give you the choice between cloak and radar transparancy. The locations are Hong Kong and Brooklyn.
**end spoilers**

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That's probably a good idea. I like the blue, but I've been having trouble reading the text even before compression.

On the upside the game has preconfigured HUD setups in the settings menu. I really like the HUD in Deus Ex - especially that you can edit all the notes you get during a playthrough - and add your own! It's basically a fully functional notepad. I don't think there has been a game in the last 10 years that allowed you to write ingame(outside of scribblenauts and typing of the dead, obviously, but that's for a different goal)

double nine fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 6, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Nuramor posted:

I don't remember the game being so dark. Is that a result from the mod or did I just play it with unreasonably high gamma back in the day?

Wait until we get to the first mission to compare and contrast. I remember the tutorial level being quite dark, so wait for liberty island or Unatco HQ for a benchmark. That said the game is quite dark due to not having the best lighting engine.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Out of interest, what is the PS2 port like? I've seen it in shops, but never picked it up, and I'm honestly curious to find out hat it's like. No idea how they could fit a game as complex as this on a PS2.

I have never played it, there is a gameplay video over on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IqFsw3iPf4

The intro cutscene actually seems to be better than the Deus Ex intro though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJegc9eEG8M

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

KillHour posted:

There's a secret conversation with Page in Hell's Kitchen? :aaaaa:

I don't think there is.

That's a cool thing about DX though: I don't know whether or not there is a secret conversation. (I still don't consider it likely)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Why did you waste a rocket on that poor drone, and another one on the crate (other than for demonstration purposes)?

Here's how you do both in one hit without wasting ammo: approach from the other side aka the level start. Pick up a box of TNT, wait near the wall opening where it will pass keeping out of its field of view. When the drone patrols past the opening, throw the tnt box and dash behind the wall. Explosions in Deus Ex only harm you if there is a direct line between Denton and the explosion source. Any static object(wall, metal crate, car, helicopter) between you and the explosion will shield you from the blast. The drone will be destroyed by the explosion. Interestingly enough, despite what I stated about the explosion damage, that explosion does pass through walls for the purposes of destroying breakable objects like doors or crates.

TLDR: explosions hurt if direct line of sight with denton, but will pass through walls to destroy objects.

The reason you need to do this on the opposite side from where you were bobbin, is because the blast radius might not be large enough to reach that chest and blow it open (although you can always try again with another crate)

edit: if you feel uneasy about tnt boxes and have too much time on your hands, you can (arduously, ever so slowly) push a barrel to be in the middle of said passage, and shoot it when the drone passes by.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Strabo posted:

He'll also take an assault rifle IIRC, but the only way to have it at that point is if you are cheating.

:eng101: actually, there is 1 Unatco guard that's not invincible that you can knock out and take his assault rifle. I don't remember which one though.

I'm going to need to reinstall that game, aren't I

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Pierzak posted:

Why haven't you done so yet?

The disc is at my parents' house. Haven't gotten around to getting it back.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Rulebook Heavily posted:

It doesn't work for every gun because future copyright and patent laws are hell.

There. Fixed that for you.

Bobbin, how far do you want to go in terms of pointing out hidden items and such? Because I'm playing through New York right now, and I found a flamethrower cannister that I never noticed before, and god knows how much more stuff there might be to find ... I don't think it's humanly possible to find everything.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

By the way bobbin, you've inspired me to do a heavy weapons/rifle playthrough. It's amazing. All you have to do is point your rocket launcher at a problem and it goes away. It's magical.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A small note: there is a music track that will only play in combat while in the unatco building. Since it's unlikely you'll ever hear it unless you start dicking around with godmode and a GEP gun, here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNHl9AFcTDs

also, noclipping through the building reveals that the boxes in carter's office are empty, there is nothing of interest on his computer and behind that retinal scanner is nothing but a boring, empty concrete corridor.

double nine fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 28, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

PolarPear posted:

I think you have to bring the sofas and plants from the rest of Liberty Island to complete that objective and extra XP gets awarded for flags chairs, trophies, and vases as well.

The door ate a sofa, a flag, a wet floor sign, the push cart and then four plants and a flag fell through the floor ruining my attempt on this run.

Oh and I also accidentally jumped on a trash can and broke it but at least I got a rat for a pet out of that. I do need to move the dead NSF guy to a more prominent position now that I think of it.

where are the tnt boxes and explosive barrels. :colbert:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:siren: :siren: Deus Ex GOTY edition is up for sale at https://www.gog.com right now for an insane $2. Get it if you don't have it already. Bonuses include pdf of the manual, soundtrack, fictional newspaper pdf.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Farecoal posted:

So are you planning to save Paul or run away like a coward?

1. Grab as many Lam and gas grenades you can find.
2. Place said mines in various locations across the building, especially around the lobby
2.5 if you have the patience, grab the tnt boxes from the warehouse and place them in the building.
3. Trigger cutscene and observe as the screen goes white for a few seconds while all of your explosives go off.
4. Walk away.

Speaking of, I remember finding the code for the subway in that mission, but for the life of me when I replayed it I couldn't find it anymore and the codelock has infinite strength. Does anyone know where I can find it?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, no, sorry everybody but the only proper way to handle that situation is to use your powers of nanoprecognition and strategic planting of explosives to cleanse the unbelievers.

This right here. Sure it's amusing to see paul and the ai do their faux-strafing as they duke it out, but the correct answer to that problem is a gep-round to the face of your opponents.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gantolandon posted:

For maximum hilarity leave him in the cell. He won't shut up about it for the entire loving game, even when he has other grievances with JC.

but ... but ... but xp :negative:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I ran into an interesting bug in Battery Park. I was unsatisfied with the way my character inventory (I forgot to take the baton from Liberty Island) and skillset (want to invest earlier in hacking), so after loading into Hell's Kitchen and coming to this conclusion, I decided to start a new game.

I started Liberty Island with my entire inventory intact. GEP Gun, grenades, assault rifle, upgraded sniper rifle, all my ammo, ...

Effectively, I'll have 4 more rockets, a far more upgraded sniper and pistol, and so on.

:getin:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

George posted:

Man, Philosophy Corner and it's all Medieval. Wake me up when we get past Kant.

You may need to wait till Paris for that to happen :-(

(iirc there is an npc in paris who has quite the conversation with JC that's basically about Hobbes vs Locke).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The biggest boon for the prod is that it's the only way to take deal with a specific enemy type without them self-destructing. (I'm thinking of the Series-P agents).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I have a bit of a technical problem with deus ex, I hope someone here could help? I have deus ex on disc, but when I saw the GOG version on sale I purchased that one (mostly for the extras, and the cd is getting a bit scratched so I like the insurance.

Anyway, I have a Logitech M500 mouse. In addition to the 3 standard buttons, it has two side buttons, and there is a logitech tool (setpoint) that allows me to bind those buttons to whatever I want. With my disc version of Deus ex, I could, by rebinding the sidebuttons to pageup and pagedown, and assign pageup/down to functions like zoom, laser or augmentations.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason the GOG version will NOT register those buttons at all, no matter if I set them to pageup, an F1-12 key, W, or any other button on the keyboard. Nor do the buttons register if I disable the logitech software.

Note: I check by trying to re-assign various functions to said buttons by pressing them, or by assigning the function (like "fire") to the button "P" and having said side buttons also assigned to "P". Also, outside the game, I can bind it to any key and it will function, I tested by binding it to random letters and opening notepad. It types.

So far nothing has worked. Please advise on how to properly be able to use those buttons.

Thanks.

edit: crap, I thought this was the general games thread, not the LP. Sorry about that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fabulousity posted:

I watched an AGDQ run of Deus Ex recently and the runner made a point of using the flame thrower just for the NPC screaming. The screams that come out of them are far more varied and diverse than most random click-on dialogue... I assume for the burning effect the devs just pooled all the VA "fire" screams by gender and the game engine just randomly picks one?

Also going back to the LP is there a particularly devious Rube Goldberg like doom that is being plotted for Louis Pan?

The biggest downside to the flamethrower is that it is most useful against weaker enemies (ie unarmored, organic) that you already have many tools to deal with (pistol, shotgun, tranq gun, sniper, taser, crowbar, baton, knife ...) and is useless against robotic enemies and later-game mooks.

The downside to the rocket launcher is that it doesn't leave a corpse for you to loot, which makes finding ammo for the thing more difficult (not that there is an abundance of rocketlauncher-wielding enemies in the first place). Its upside is that it's just so useful as a door opener, crowd control, camera and turret disabler, and against robotic/late-game enemies.

Overall the rocket launcher is a lot more versatile than the flamethrower, and by extension is the best of the heavy weapons available. As for the third heavy weapon option, ammo is far too scarce for it to be used except in isolated incidents. But we can talk about that when bobbin reaches that point (should be in 6 videos or so).

I have to second the motion that Louis Pan needs to suffer a violent, creative fate.

double nine fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Feb 11, 2014

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

I may misremembering things but can't you also just block beams with crates? Also I'm still a bit sad you didn't show off any of those crazy glitches back in Unatco HQ. (everyone hating on the vacuum cleaner especially). Or were those patched out?

IIRC (been a while) you can block some beams with boxes, but others will set off the alarm if you push any object in front of it... It was a trial and error game

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

This is kinda neither here nor there, but bobbin, what is your keyboard layout? Do you keep all the augmentations on the F1-12 keys? Where do you keep scope & laser?

Deus ex (along with Jedi Outcast and the Freespace games) require some serious keyboard juggling to get all the spells/functions within hand's reach and I kind of hope someone has a better system than mine....

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The augs plus the menu hotkeys use every single F key, so there's no way to fit them all in easy reach no matter what. I've moved the scope and laser keys to Z and C, though. Normally they turn you left and right, but that's just a legacy from the pre-mouse era. I think I move "Switch Ammo Types" to F, as well. I forget if it starts there or not.

Since I asked I guess I should disclose it: for Deus ex (and the above games) I switched from WASD to ESDF. R reload, w & r lean, t reload y change ammo, and alt, q, a, z, x, c, v, b are augs. Middle mouse is laser & tab is scope.

It takes getting used to, that i can tell you for a fact, but it allows more flexibility and ease of access when you get new augmentations. It also helps that augs are introduced gradually so I can get used to the fact that Z is superspeed and X is strength (and so on)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

paragon1 posted:

Now you'll never play for the Nicks Bobbin. :colbert: If you just aim for the backboard like you would in real life you should get it in only a few tries.

I've gotten the nicks comment several times, but never has the ball gone through the hoop. It always bounces off of the ring but that's enough for the game to give the prompt so I feel like I accomplished something anyway :smug:

Not as good as the System shock basketball though :colbert:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I honestly remember it differing not between laser colours, but between individual lasers. One laser I'm almost certain can be blocked (but it's quite a bit of plot away) is a laser set in the Universal Constructor area in Hong Kong.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Thesaya posted:

I do this in real life. I have a stack from the windowsill to the corner. Unfortunately I switched brands and the one I smoke now won't stack as well. It makes me sad.

How do you organise your inventory? Can you carry multiple knives?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I just passed this point in my own playthrough, and I encountered an "interesting" bug. I was going around looting UNATCO HQ (as you do) before going to meet with Mr Manderley and used a rocket to open up that one glass cupboard with the weapon modification inside. The use of this rocket made everyone hostile (I hid out of sight until everyone was friendly again) and had the side effect of unlocking the door to Manderley's office. Meaning I could listen to his little meeting with [government official] while less than a feet away.

Anna was still standing at the door "trying to listen in".

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

AugmentedVision posted:

I don't think this is true, I've opened the darts case with a rocket many, many times without everyone panicking. I think you actually have to hurt someone with your rocket blast. I don't remember the NPC positioning during the second visit, but, for example, during the first visit, I've experienced two different situations. If the trooper that is walking around in that room is too close and the explosion wings him, all of UNATCO will go hostile. If he is far enough to not get touched by the explosion, he'll ask you "you're just kidding around, right?" (or an analogous line) and keep walking around the room like nothing happened.

On a side note, for some reason I really have a soft spot for this aspect of Deus Ex and several other games -- where there is a lot of complexity to the game world and the developers tried to make as many things as possible interactive, but the game is "unpolished" enough where the underlying algorithms can be deduced, dissected and exploited. Maybe it's just because that's what the state of gaming was at the time I was growing up.

I know that's what normally happens, but this time, no matter what I tried, they went hostile regardless of NPC placement. It was pretty annoying because I hadn't gone down to the medbay to heal up yet and got killed in very few shots. I wish I knew how to explain it...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

By the way - playing Deus Ex with the Blood Dragon soundtrack == 100% awesomeness. Even when taking a stroll through sewers.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Magnetic North posted:

I was actually just thinking to myself, "Wow, I forgot how great the soundtrack is." It suits everything so perfectly, it underlines the atmosphere, it's really excellent.

Oh, the soundtrack is excellent*, it's just over the years I've heard it so many times on various replays, I kinda know it by heart...

*especially the Oceanlab music

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

You forgot an option.

You can kill Anna and Lebedev.

This, obviously, kind of surprises Alex.

:aaaaa: I never even thought of going that omnicidal route. Does the game change depending on who gets killed first?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

SineRider posted:

Man, I've played this game a ton of times and that interrogation scene was new to me!

Here too. I toyed with the idea of using grenades or the GEP to draw the AI out of the area but I couldn't be arsed. Also, the drat AI would kill me before getting to cover (thank you Anna Navarre.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

This isn't really relevant for the current topic, but to go back to the anti-vaccination topic from a different video: I stumbled upon this article that's interesting:

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/02/vaccine-denial-psychology-backfire-effect

quote:

So as a rational person, you might think it would be of the utmost importance to try to talk some sense into these people. But there's a problem: According to a major new study in the journal Pediatrics, trying to do so may actually make the problem worse. The paper tested the effectiveness of four separate pro-vaccine messages, three of which were based very closely on how the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) itself talks about vaccines. The results can only be called grim: Not a single one of the messages was successful when it came to increasing parents' professed intent to vaccinate their children. And in several cases the messages actually backfired, either increasing the ill-founded belief that vaccines cause autism or even, in one case, apparently reducing parents' intent to vaccinate.

quote:

The results showed that by far, the least successful messages were "Disease narrative" and "Disease images." Hearing the frightening narrative actually increased respondents' likelihood of thinking that getting the MMR vaccine will cause serious side effects, from 7.7 percent to 13.8 percent. Similarly, looking at the disturbing images increased test subjects' belief that vaccines cause autism. In other words, both of these messages backfired.

Why did that happen? Dartmouth's Nyhan isn't sure, but he comments that "if people read about or see sick children, it may be easier to imagine other kinds of health risks to children, including possibly side effects of vaccines that are actually quite rare." (When it comes to side effects, Nyhan is referring not to autism but to the small minority of cases in which vaccines cause adverse reactions.)

quote:

The two more straightforward text-only messages, "Austism correction" and "Disease risks," had more mixed effects. "Disease risks" didn't cause any harm, but it didn't really produce any benefits either.

As for "Autism correction," it actually worked, among survey respondents as a whole, to somewhat reduce belief in the falsehood that vaccines cause autism. But at the same time, the message had an unexpected negative effect, decreasing the percentage of parents saying that they would be likely to vaccinate their children.

quote:

Finally, Nyhan adds that in order to protect public health by encouraging widespread vaccinations, public communication efforts aren't the only tools at our disposal. "Other policy measures might be more effective," he notes. For instance, recently we reported on how easy it is for parents to dodge getting their kids vaccinated in some states; in some cases, it requires little more than a onetime signature on a form. Tightening these policies might be considerably more helpful than trying to win hearts and minds. That wasn't really working out anyway, and thanks to the new study, we now know that vaccine deniers' imperviousness to facts may be a key part of the reason why.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Iretep posted:

Most smaller guns like pistols simply go through a human which usually isn't that bad as long as nothing vital gets hit. If you hit a limb you'll probably survive as long as you can keep the blood loss in check until you get to a hospital.

Isn't that rather likely? I mean there's, like, stuff in there. Like organs. And the belly/chest/head is the biggest target...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

GetWellGamers posted:

But think in IRL terms, if you've got the cranial slot you might as well use it, not like you'll have much cause of prematurely detonating incoming explosions, unless you wanna be an rear end at firework parties and set off everything early.
...Yes?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The Infolink itself sounds amazing. Direct phone in your brain, and the ability to store any datacube usb-stick text you come across and read it at your leasure whenever you feel like it.

Corporate espionage would never be easier.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Junior G-man posted:

That's all good fun, right up to the moment you accidentally switch it on the middle of the night and your infolink starts blasting porn at full volume inside your brain.

Would that be a bug or a feature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Veyrall posted:

Since, as long as you don't have to pick anything up, the spy drone would act like Invisibility anyway. What does Enhanced Vision do? In IW, it let you see the outlines of people through walls, which was...not terribly useful, since listening could do basically the same thing.

Here's the breakdown for the eye augmentations:
Vision Enhancement:

TECH ONE: Nightvision.
TECH TWO: Infravision.
TECH THREE: Close range sonar imaging.
TECH FOUR: Long range sonar imaging.
Energy Rate: 40 Units/Minute

Targeting:
TECH ONE: Slight increase in accuracy and general target information. // Provides the name of the target, the distance to the target, and a description of its status [e.g. medium health].
TECH TWO: Additional increase in accuracy and more target information. // Provides area specific health information, [e.g. Head 100%, Torso 75% etc.].
TECH THREE: Additional increase in accuracy and specific target information. //Displays the target's weapon.
TECH FOUR: Additional increase in accuracy and telescopic vision. // Provides a close-up, picture-in-picture display of the target.
Energy Rate: 40 Units/Minute

Also, targeting provides a general-purpose accuracy boost with all weapons (per level?)

• Locked thread