Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Conrad

"Well excuse me for trying a simpler alternative!" says Conrad, then turns his back on the door. "All yours, then."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Madeline "Red Queen" Magdeline

"If you believe you have a better plan, explain it.", Madeline repeats to Conrad, though her tone has a tenseness, as if trying to hold her snark on a leash. "Please."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Conrad

"It failed to work, so go ahead and bask in being right!" Conrad snarls. "I was hoping I could make enough of a contact to drag one of you through!"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Roxie ER: 87

An arc of electricity signals that Roxie's linear gun is ready to go again. "I take it I'm up, then?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Being right is exhausting, in this circumstances. It would be delightful to be wrong.", Madeline replies to Conrad, closing her eyes for a moment and taking a deep breath.

Opening her eyes, she then nods to Roxie. "It's time to do one or two horrible things, yes."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Inertia - [ER: 64]

Inertia clutches his own aching throat. What... What have he done? But no, this is too late a time to have second thoughts. "...Yes."

<Plutonis> !r 2d10
<Krysmbot> Plutonis, 9 = 9

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Is that all?" She promptly returns to shooting away at the door.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
Hell Hound
HP: 17
ER: 56

"Alright, I'll get Ra'id on the line. One thing though, don't mention my history. Ra'id's been getting kinda... touchy about that. It'd be kinda hard to explain to him right now."

After that, George turns on his comm in order to each Ra'id.

"Ra'id you there? You can stop the brain wave reading or whatever the hell you have hooked up, I think. Turns out Julian can read minds. There's... a bit of a downside to finding that out, though."

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Sharp
ER 95
HP 9
Create Armor is up.

"What? NO!" Ty practically screamed into his comm, "Dammit Inertia! You should know better than that!"

Ty froze in his tracks for a few seconds, as the horrible reality of Inertia and Pandora's conversation came crashing in. As soon as he realized he had stopped moving, however, he broke into a run. Even so, he still tried to listen to the conversation, terrifying snippets reaching his ears.

---

Ohshitohshitohshit the lock's broken on the control center... shitfuckshit...

Ty nearly whispered into the comm, "Ex Machina... are you ok? We've got... um, somewhere around three situations."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Catalyst ER: 73

Catalyst sighs, and pulls herself unsteadily to her feet. "This has not been the ideal day."

Going to be on vacation starting tomorrow, coming back next Wednesday. Should have partial internet access but posting will be scarce.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"You can say that again."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

"I-is that so... Sharp? We are in this together, you know." Inertia says as he turns the comm off.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Scene 7

Through his enhanced senses, Robin could see.

...Well, no, he couldn't see, but he could hear, and that was enough. He could hear the creaks in the doors that lined up long, straight corridors. He could hear incoherent babble coming from people locked behind them. He could hear fists slamming against walls. Much further away, where the sounds got vague and merged together, he thought he could hear people writing, working on files or preparing soup. This place was full of people, and they had a few minutes, tops, to find the hole in Pandora's plan or get them all out. They needed a plan, and they needed it NOW.

Alright guys, Everybody gets one more post to try something (helping Roxie out with Renegade use, establishing some order in this clusterfuck, trying to disable the door's defenses or cracking them open with some knowledge, whatever you wish to try) and then if nothing game-changing comes up we're timeskipping to the moment the door finally gives in. Make this one count!

Scene 8

Ra'id's mechanical spider was exactly where George had left it, and looking about as friendly. Ty felt the heat of a targeting laser on his chest as it hunched down and took aim...and then an hologram of Ex Machina appeared on its back.

"If you can hear this message then I am currently out of reach, and should not be interrupted under any circumstances. Vital research is currently underway. Do not, I repeat, do not disturb my experiments."

The tiny little hologram figure turned around, slightly, and a look of irritation crossed its face. It spoke once again.

---

"I am busy now, Hellhound. Whatever it is you are up to, it will have to wait." The reply was short, dry, and with the comms cutting off immediately afterward, left no room for debate.

---

"I need to go now. I think I've got some friends waiting for me back home." Pandora said, squeezing Katip's hand for a moment. "There's two things we need to do to get this party started. First, there's a rare flower root in your left pocket, meant for a very special someone. You'll know who it is when you see them. As soon as you can find some alone time with them, crush it to dust and sprinkle it all over their face. Be very, very quiet! You're going to get into trouble if anyone finds out." She said, raising a finger to her lips in the universal gesture of silence. "There's another task too, but that one isn't so hard. Find an adorable little baby, get in touch with him, and then call for me. We need to have a talk." Gently, Katip felt her lower his head until it was touching the elevator's cold floor. As the doors opened, Pandora stood up and dusted herself off. "Oh, and make sure to get your sister somewhere safe. I wouldn't want her to get hurt if things don't go our way." With a silent gesture of goodbye, Pandora walked out.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Robin "Dark Song" Perlbell ER: :siren:103:siren:; HP 24/24
Sealed Chamber, Weiss' room

"What the hell?!" Robin shouts as his "vision" shows far, FAR more people than he imagined there were when he stepped out of the car. "What are these people DOING here?!" He screams back towards Conrad and the people on the other side of the door. "Hey! There's a ton of people on the other side of the vines! Do they even know what's going on?!"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Conrad

"Didn't she say she'd kill the asylum inmates?!" screams Conrad back. "That appears to be- That's where she's linked us to, the, the asylum! That's where we really are! I don't know how that will help but I hope it does, you assholes!"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Inertia falls to his knees, clutching his head. "What have I done... What have I got into...!" No... It's too late to start feeling regret. He's doing it for Selma and for his future, and it's the USCU who failed them. But his parents, what would they say? Working for the same people who killed the both of them in the first place... Katip clutches his chest, dark thoughts flooding him. Once this ends, once he gets his sister to safety... He'll go after the False Hearts again, USCU or not.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Ashita Takemitsu, Scene 7
ER:75

Still outside the door

Warping space, wasn't that supposed to be her purview? Isn't that what she had studied all her life? She refused to let this pass. She refused to let this happen.

So he was in an asylum, and connected by a warp? She wondered what she could do to turn the tables.

She pressed her hand upon the door, trying to close the connection between the room in with Mr. Weiss lay dying and the rest of the wards. If they could close the connection, get him out, perhaps they could kill the plants before killed the rest of the inmates.

She focused. She closed her eyes, concentrating, but there was just too much. She was too drained, especially with the load from sustaining her Servant. She swore, softly, in Japanese. Her Servant just looked at her. "I can't do this on my own," Ashita said.

She opened her eyes, which were each a smooth, black sphere. Her Servant had eyes just alike. It, part of her yet not, something from deep in her blood, pressed its hands upon the door and tore space.

May it be enough.

Renegade Control.

18:30 Mileionaha !r 6xx10
18:30 Krysmbot Mileionaha, (7 6 3 2 1 1) = 7+4=11
18:30 Mileionaha !r 3xx10
18:30 Krysmbot Mileionaha, (10, 8 7)(7) = 17+4=21

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Sharp
ER 95
HP 9
Create Armor is up.

For the "smartest man alive", Ex Machina sure has some terrible timing.

"Great, now what do I do?"

He spoke once more into his comm. "Hellhound, are you available? Things aren't looking too good. Pandora's got her hooks in Inertia, too. And Ex Machina's out of commission at the worst possible time."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

She wasn't a genius.

She couldn't fold space.

She didn't even have powers of her own. All servants, except...

No, that was wrong. Watching it all, she saw the tear, and then snapped her fingers. This was doing to require precise movement and timing, one of her few personal gifts.

Her servant turned about, moving parallel to Ashita's, and then brought its drill-arm back.

And then her servant drove its arm dead-center into the tear, through the gap, its arm rapidly spinning as a drill, aiming to disrupt Pandora's effect with her very renegade-hostile blood... and hopefully give "Tomoroh" the opening she needs.

Using Devoted Gears to time what she's doing around everybody's actions, then using Mock Swordsman + Concentration with Red Servant, total is 32, increasing enroachment by 4%. If damage matters, spending 3 HP to activate anti-renegade. It'll be 27 damage, or 44 if anti-renegade counts in.
when in doubt throw a giant drill-arm at it

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Hell Hound

"loving Ra'id..."

When Sharp comes online, George responds.

"Now I can't trust either of you with the vault!"

George puts his hand on his forehead for a second.

"I'm out of commission right now, Sharp. I'll get back to you once I have this sorted out. Keep me posted if something stupid happens."

George then looks back at Julian.

"Looks like things might be getting worse, and I need a way to reverse whatever you did. Do you think you might have any ideas? Ra'id's too busy right now, apparently."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Scene 7

It felt like it took forever, but finally, Roxie managed to breach the door. drat UGN bastards...what the hell did they make their mausoleums out of?! Entire minutes of shooting had only dented the door for a time, until she fired one shot too many and smashed it to splinters. Those keeping track of the time mentally knew they had to work fast now. Thirty seconds more and Roann Weiss would be a goner.

---

It struggled.

In spite of how precise Ashita's control over the Renegade was, the entire building seemed to be working against her, pushing backwards, trying to undo the changes she had tried to make. She could feel it like an oppressive weight against her skin, trying to crush her. She held on, but the effect started to waver...

...And that was when Madeline intervened. The oppressive sensation changed to a burning feeling, and the pressure quickly lifted. The rooms were sealed now. Nothing could get in, and nothing could get out. All they needed to do was move quickly and hold it together. No pressure, right?

Clever thinking, guys. Ashita severs the connection between the plants, but they're fighting to reestablish it. I'll need more RC rolls going forward to stop it from breaking until the plants have been neutralized. Maddy can help, adding +5 to the result, but Ashita takes 3 HP of burn per round of it as her Renegade comes into contact with Maddy's. Neither of these two things count as an action, so if you want to join the others in saving Mr. Weiss, go right ahead.

Scene 8

"...Maybe?" Julian said, tentatively. "I don't know if I can fix this, but I can try. What's it like from your side? I'm not totally sure of what happened myself. It all kind of went by in a blur, you know?"

---

Back at the control room, the little machine spider raised its head to look up at Ty's face and the hologram shut off. For a moment, it remained in placed, but then it jumped to a nearby stack of papers and focused its attention on them, burning a message into one of them. It consisted of only one word.

code:
Query?

Transient People fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 22, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Robin "Dark Song" Perlbell ER: :siren:103->112:siren:; HP 24/24
Sealed Chamber, Weiss' room

"So it's the plants?!" Robin screams over the oppressive silence. Time seems to speed back up--seconds that felt like days start feeling like normal--as he raises his voice to the rest of the UGN "agents" breaking down the door and entering the chamber. "We're breaking the plants?! Okay, I'm breaking them!!" He's about to shout--

Breathe, Dark Song...

...that voice...!

You shouldn't be so excitable. Take a deep breath...in, out, in, out...

He breathes easily, calming down from the sudden burst of activity.

Let the natural rhythm of your body form the strike...

He stretches his arms, palms pointed directly overhead at the vine network holding the man suspended. A ball forms in the heels of his palms, pulsing with the beat of a metronome...no, with the beat of a heart...

Just like I taught you.

Release...

Okay, Rave ball time!, let's see if I remember how this works...
[22:31:30] <Davin_Valkri> !r 14xx7
[22:31:31] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, (10 10 9 7, 6 6 6 5 4 4 4 3 2 2)(6 5 5 4) = 16
[22:31:31] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, (10 10 9 7, 6 6 6 5 4 4 4 3 2 2)(6 5 5 4) = 16
[22:31:46] <Davin_Valkri> !r 2d10+2
[22:31:46] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 15+2 = 17

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Conrad
ER:108->114

As Robin goes on the offensive Conrad instinctively reacts to defend Weiss. "Just blowing them away is no good if they just come back!" He moves forward, kneels, makes contact with the ground. Sand begins to run through his hands, moving along the floor like a wave.

As it reaches Weiss it forms up around him like a shell or cocoon, sealing him in safety. "I can let the rest of you through it whenever! Go!"

Even on the offense, I'm doing the defending, he thinks wryly. Oh well.

KPrime, (10 9 8 8 7, 3 2 1)(10 9, 6 6 4)(10, 3)(10,)(4) = 44!!! RC to use Create Armor on Weiss

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Sharp
ER 95
HP 9
Create Armor is up.

Ty blinked. Not quite what he was expecting, so he blurted out the first thought that popped into his head.

"What the gently caress do I do?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Hell Hound

"Well, the closest I can think of is that it felt like ya stabbed me from my head down to my heart right down the middle. It was cold as hell, too."

George puts his hand on his chest for a second, still feeling a bit of cold left over.

• Locked thread