Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Scene 5

"You forget that I have been trapped within this cage for uncountable years, with neither sight, nor sound, nor any other senses for me to experience things through." The Moonlight Queen purred those words, setting George on edge. "What is obvious to you is something I may not even be able to perceive, and vice versa. Still, your description, lacking as it is, is enough to orient me, at least. Is the Renegade going in quietly into this woman, or kicking and screaming?"

---

While George continued his conversation with the trapped being, Ashita studied Lina's body. Her transformations were something of a mishmash, following no particular order that she could discern, but maybe if she understood their purpose she could guess what was coming next. Lina's agile bug-like wings would make her far more mobile and simplify the process of getting around considerably...once she learned how to use them, at least. The claws were clearly for self defense, of course, and the antenna had followed afterward. That was where things got murky. What did she need the enhanced perception of boosted senses for? And the last organ seemed oddly familiar...it looked like...like...

...Why had Lina just grown an egg sac?

---

"I see what Dark Song is getting to. Fighting is one of the quickest and easiest ways to excite the Renegade, second only to being fatally injured. An incapacitated Overed's Renegade would immediately begin working overtime. Dark Song is basing his conclusions on his own personal experience. A sensible course of action, in this context." While Ex Machina spoke, several small robots crawled out of his sleeves and began their work. While most of them ran rapid scans, one of them poked the gel substance with a stinger. In response, Lina drew a sharp rbeath and moved her hands to cover her abdomen.

"Jules...what're they doing to me?" She managed to ask.

"The boss is just making sure you're alright, don't worry. I think he's a doctor of some sort."

"Don't...d-don't touch it...precious..." Was all she managed to say before her muscles were overwhelmed by the simple act of sustaining an unnatural position and her arms fell to the side, slack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
Hellhound
ER: 70
HP: 17

The renegade both wanted to go in and told me not to get close, and she's in a lot of pain... and now she has an eggsac she's trying to guard. Just what the hell is happening?

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 2, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
Scene 5

"Ahhh, I see. Then she is a Host. Interesting...very, very interesting. I thought the Renegade had moved on from such experiments. Listen and listen well, little puppy. This woman possesses the ability to pacify excited clusters of the Renegade virus, soothing them and granting other Renegades better control over them. In exchange for that peace, the Renegade transforms her, making her smarter, tougher, stronger...all with a final end-goal. Her previous life has slipped from her grasp forever. All she will be good for now will be the purpose the Renegade has consigned to her. You should decide whether you wish to aid her in fulfilling her purpose in life or stop her...and if so, stop at nothing but a final death."

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Inertia - [ER: 49-55]

"She's not the cause of this mess? Then whose voice was it mocking us by then? And who else is there being surrounded by these vines, you stupid son of a-" He's interrupted by the sudden blood spear flying at the girl and it being deflected into Ty. "Stop it right now, you two!" Now those idiots are fighting against themselves? A small vein pulses on Katip's head and he points his hand at the two other agents.

Chains of chilled ice burst from his sleeves and fly at both Ty and Madeleine, restraining them both. "NOW. LET'S TALK A BIT ON WHAT TO DO. We'll evacuate the building. We'll bring this girl with us, if she's guilty, she'll be arrested. If she has any use alive, we'll make use of her. If she tries to gently caress with us, we kill her. Is that clear?"

Using Ice Bindings and adding Distorted Retribution to restrain everyone in the are where Maddie and Ty are. (That is, them)

<Plutonis> !r 9xx10+2
<Krysmbot> Plutonis, (10, 9 8 8 6 5 4 1 1)(5)+2 = 17

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Madeline "Red Queen" Magdeline

"What?", Madeline says, lifting her chin as she stares down at Ty, shocked at his reaction. "If she wakes up..." The servant yanks out its lance, the blood burning away. "... how bad do you think it'll be? If she's this dangerous asleep, what do you think she'll be like awake?" She closes her eyes and adds to Ty, "I didn't want to hurt you, but don't expect my pity. You chose this. Or maybe it was chosen for you."

Edit: just removed the ice reference and chat with Katip, moving this so it happens before his attack.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 2, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Hellhound
ER:70-44+11=37

What kind of bullshit is this? I'm not gonna do nothing, if you won't help then I'll just have to do-

do...

do what?

Then George could hear Him. He was getting... anxious by the look of it, he could sense George's weakness.

George then murmured something aloud, "Ok Big Guy, you wanna have some fun? Let's try sicking you on whatever's in there..."

Then, George's eyes glowed orange, and black lightning began leaping from him randomly. He slowly approached the suffering overed and then quicker than the eye could see put his hand on her abdomen and concentrated.

At the same time, Sofia could feel something Very Bad, something primal, emanating from the room. It felt as though it were straining against something, and that something was losing. Losing VERY badly.

Making a note that I cleared it with Transientpeople I'm loising Lina because she ISN'T GOING TO DIE TODAY! Going for Earnestness/Remorse

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 2, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Catalyst ER: 65

Transient People posted:

Scene 5
"That kind of information is precious. We need to make it the base of a plan."

"You're right, of course. We just don't know enough yet for an effective countermeasure. We need to learn more, and quickly." She glances at Daybreak again, and adds, "And there is no need to apologize. I understand the stress you must be under. I should have made a better effort myself." She is about to add more when something happens with the newbies.

It becomes apparent that she should keep back almost immediately. As they disappear back into the room, she sends a short message to Ex Machina. [Prepared to assist if needed.]

Airwave posted:

"You wanna set up those positions now or wait to make sure we're not needed?"

"I think it would be best if we - especially you and I - kept away from the poor woman for the moment. I've never seen a Renegade manifestation like that before." She shakes her head, and starts up the passage again. "I doubt there will be much anyone can do for her."

Sofia glances at Ashita, and adds, "Your outfit is quite striking."

devilmaydry posted:

At the same time, Sofia could feel something Very Bad, something primal, emanating from the room. It felt as though it were straining against something, and that something was losing. Losing VERY badly.

As they walk, Sofia suddenly stops and looks back the way they came. She frowns, and sends another message to Ex Machina. [Do you require assistance?] "Perhaps we should go back."

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 2, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Scene 5: The Hungering Wolf

As George touched the gel, the Renegade contracted and Lina bucked, her mouth agape with shock. He could feel Fenrir speaking with the Renegade inside her, with words he couldn't fully understand as an enormous shower of Renegade sparks practically hid Lina from view. Beside him, Julian drew a sharp breath. "He's going nuts! What the hell is he doing?"

"Everything is under control, Mr. Keynes. Hellhound is trying to help her." Ex Machina replied, dispassionately. Julian didn't seem to buy it, though.

"Like hell he is! She's getting hurt! You've done enough already, you big oaf! Get off her! GET...OFF!"

In front of George, the air turned to ice, and a crystal ball slammed into his chest, pushing him away. Seizing the opportunity, the unit chief took a step forward and dispassionately analyzed her state before slipping on a pair of gloves and holding Lina down. "Hmm. An embryo of some sort. It is progressing quicker than expected." Indeed, there was a shining dot of pale-blue light inside the gel, encased in a perfectly circular bubble.

George didn't hear any of this, however, as a red haze settled over him. He'd been challenged, challenged by an upstart pup who hadn't even fully grown his teeth yet. Fenrir would not abide this. It was time to teach the uppity pup standing before him some respect.

George is forced to make an Impulse Check while trying to help Lina and doesn't make it. He berserks, and what's worse, he has a target. Oh boy.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Fenrir
ER: 37+5=42

George's orange irises begin branching out, the orange glow seaming to leak into the whites of his eyes.

He looks at Julian, and curls his fist into a ball as black lightning erupts from it.

He lets out a primal roar that didn't seem to belong to George at all and strikes out at Julian.

Ok, so this is 35 to hit and will do 18 damage if it does hit. Anyone wanna be nice and cover before I splatter the newest of newbies?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Robin "Dark Song" Perlbell ER: 77->79->80; HP 8->0->1/24

As Hellhound steps forwards and places his hand on Lina, Robin looks on in concern. If she died because he'd hosed up, he'd never forgive himself...

And then Hellhound seems to lose it. He can see his eyes change, he can see him eyeing Julian!

"Hellhound, what--no!"

Hellhound is fast. Dark Song is faster. He throws his body between the mad dog and Julian, holds up his arms...

Covering Julian! Let's see if Robin can take it!
[19:20:39] <Davin_Valkri> Okay, Covering Julian, Dodging with God's Eye to prevent damage to Robin.
[19:20:45] <Davin_Valkri> !r 12xx10
[19:20:46] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, (10, 9 8 6 6 5 4 3 3 3 3 1)(1) = 11
Nope, he can't.

And feels his ribcage shatter as Hellhound's fist connects with it. His heart stops before he even hits the ground.

[19:21:35] <Davin_Valkri> !r 1d10
[19:21:37] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, 1 = 1

And then promptly restarts again.

"Bad dog...heel..." he manages to sputter weakly as he pulls his head off the ground.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Sharp
ER 62 + 5 + 5= 72
HP 9 - 11 = 0 + 20 = 20

Dodge!
!r 3xx10
Krysmbot
7:31 omegagoo, (8 2 1) = 8
11 damage! Yay?

Cold. Is this what death feels like? Ty grasped his chest. At least Inertia only picked him and the Red Queen to freeze. He didn't think he had it in him to protect her.

7:40 Before you add that ER
7:40 !r 5d10
Krysmbot
7:41 TransientPeople, 20 = 20
omegagoo
7:41 Uh huh
TransientPeople
7:41 Add 5 ER and gain that much HP

Apparently, the vines in the room knew that. A few lowered themselves onto Ty, piercing his cold flesh and infusing him with the same silvery sap that the trio had seen in the wreckage of 314. A strange warmth suffused him, and he struggled back to his feet. A look of fierce determination graced his eyes.

"How many times do I have to say it? This isn't Pandora. She isn't controlling these vines. If anything, they're protecting her from people who want to do her harm. People like YOU." The edge in his voice had returned.

"And what kind of ally are YOU?" he said, whirling to face Inertia. "You want me to chill out, so you nearly KILL me? I'm well aware Overeds are a hell of a lot more durable than a normal person, but WHAT THE HELL!?"

"I've had enough of your poo poo. I've had enough of your poo poo, too. gently caress this. I'm out of here. Go find a different problem to solve. This one's mine."

Ty backed up to the bed with the sleeping girl. The thorns protecting her retreated at his approach, and Ty raised his bloodied hands in front of him as he faced the other two UGN agents. Four beautiful glass swords began circling the bed, blades pointing down. For a few seconds, they accelerated their rotation speed before lowering into the floor, cutting a circular hole in the floor.

Shatterstorm + Concentrate + Holy poo poo BUFFS
omegagoo
9:03 !r 8xx6+4
Krysmbot
9:03 omegagoo, (9 6, 5 5 4 3 2 1)(8, 2)(8,)(7,)(1)+4 = 45

And damage the floor:
omegagoo
9:27 !r 5d10+13
Krysmbot
9:27 omegagoo, 28+13 = 41

Ty quickly rolled the sleeping beauty onto his own body to shield her from the impact as the floor fell down. He proceeded to hoist her onto his shoulder in a fireman's carry and ran for the door of 411.

Minor to move 8 meters toward the door.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Scene 5

As Fenrir prepared to leap over the table to chase after Robin and follow up his killing blow, he felt a hand on his shoulder. "Hellhound, you are out of line. Calm down and perform your exercises for mental stability." Ex Machina spoke, apparently heedless to the danger the wild wolfman posed. "Focus on the people who matter to you. Remember what you fight for. Calm down."

A few seconds passed as the unit chief stared Fenrir in the eye. And then...

Ra'id rolls a Social check to persuade George to calm down. He gets a 10 to his 9, so he succeeds!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

As Madeline's attack, the ice vines tear through her Servants, causing it to collapse, and tear across her, bloodying her... and at least freezing the wounds so she doesn't bleed out. But one is pierced right through her shoulder. She cries out, but quickly bites her tongue.

Pulling the piece of ice out, blood scatters, a new Servant rises from the blood, interposed behind the two. She squints in sharp pain, and falls into a crouch. "... all that training and he's still a damned child..." She looks up, past her servant. "... go after him, presuming you're just a fool and not a traitor." She grasps her wound. It doesn't look like she's in grand shape at this point, with a drop of blood falling from her nose. Wait, the ice didn't do that. Maybe, somehow, she's already weakened.

Using Red Servant again, Enroachment is at 70%, down to 4 HP. And the Servant acts on Init 9, should it come up.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Hellhound
ER: 42

quote:

"How is the subject?"

"The surgery was a success, but #207 hasn't been cooperating. 5 staff were injured, and 3 overeds were needed to subjagate it."

"Has it turned?"

"No, it's reciprocated to the head researcher. It still seems highly agitated but..."

"So it can control itself around Mrs. Belcry... Is that enough to use though? Perhaps, after more training, this program can be salvaged."

George's eyes return to normal and he nearly collapses, sitting on the floor, feeling his forehead.

"R-right... I think He- I- subjugated the renegade for now. Just got a little out of control for a second... looks like the Renegade wants this to happen more than anything."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Scene 3

It wasn't just Madeline's health that was failing her - her reflexes must have been dulled by her previous inhalation of dust. As Ty went through the floor, the thorns that had previously been protecting Briar Rose turned their attention elsewhere, and lunged at Madeline...and hit their mark, right as more dust was scattered everywhere due to Sharp's actions. As silver sap coursed through the thorns and into her veins, Madeline felt like her body was burning. In spite of the pain, however, her mind cleared, and she felt her energy returning to her. Now, if only she could just break free from these things...

On Init 0, the thorns act, lunging at Madeline, grabbing her. She regains 19 HP from the sap and gains a +9 bonus to her attack power, but is rendered Berserk again and Engaged. A check (or some other action) will be needed to escape the thorns' clutches.

Scene 5

"Good. You've done what you needed to do, Hellhound. We will take this from here. Rendezvous with Catalyst, she will tell you what to do next. She is in good hands." turning to look at Lina for a moment, the unit chief activated his earpiece and sent out a message. "Catalyst, situation under control. A small outburst occurred, but it has been suppressed already. Orders remain the same. Ex Machina out." Then, he looked at Ashita. "Dis, investigate the USCU HQ and look for four spots of your choice where you won't be disturbed. Spill a small quantity of blood in each of them, then return to this room. We will use your talents to engineer an automated defensive network."

At the same time, Lina seemed to wake up. Blinking, she pulled herself up a little gingerly, as her claws retracted and returned to their previous form as hands. "What...what happened? I was just talking with Robin and then everything faded to black."

Seeing her awaken, Julian let out an explosive sigh. "Oh, thank God." Reaching down, he helped pulled Robin up. "You just died, didn't you? Again, I mean. Took a bullet meant for me." He looked at Hellhound. "I don't know what he did, but maybe the chief was right and he was just trying to help. Nearly took my head off, though...I owe you one, Rob. He would've killed me, I'm sure of it."

Transient People fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 2, 2014

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Inertia - [ER: 49-55]

"Motherfucker!" Katip yelled as Ty not only escaped his restraints but also took the girl with him. His flaring anger turns into cold hatred as he starts blinking and opens a comm call to the UGN base. "Agent Sharp has gone rogue, possibly supporting a False Hearts member. Agent Red Queen is weakened by blood loss and the Pandora's effect. Requesting permission to hunt and retrieve the two of them." He runs to the same direction Ty went and jumps through the hole he made, yelling at him.

"Sharp! This is my last warning. Stop right now or I will kill you!"

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Sharp
ER 72
HP 20

"Gone rogue? That idiot!"

"I'm trying to save as many people as possible, while you're trying to kill me! Who's the one that's gone rogue!?" Ty yelled behind him as he ran out the room, down the hall, and into the stairwell.

Major to dash, Minor to move. Moved 24 meters.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Scene 3

"Agent Sharp." The flat voice of Ex Machina resonated in Ty's ears as he ran for it with all he had. "According to Inertia's report, you have turned rogue and abandoned your mission. Explain yourself as you keep running. Do not allow Inertia or Red Queen to catch you, for now. I find it unlikely that any agent currently on the scene has a cool enough head to discuss this issue politely at this point." If that was the unit chief's attempt at humor, it wasn't funny at all. Not when Ty's life was at stake.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 2, 2014

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Hellhound

"Sounds like everything is turning into a clusterfuck."

George gets up and looks at Lina for a second, it's hard to tell what his look signifies, though. Remorse? Relief? It's difficult to tell.

"Sorry about almost hitting you, Julian. And sorry 'bout hitting you, Dark Song, but we've got a job to do now that stuff has calmed down."

George leaves the room and heads to the Catalyst and the others.

"Ok, so what did the egghead want us to do?"

devilmaydry fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 2, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Robin "Dark Song" Perlbell ER: 80; HP 1/24

For the third time today, Robin swallows his own blood in his mouth.

"T-thanks, Julian," he half-sighs, half-whimpers as he grabs his hand and pulls up. He sighs again, this time in relief, at the sight of Lina getting better--he wants to put a reassuring hand on her shoulder, but then remembers and withdraws. "It's okay, Lina, everything's fine, uhm...talk to that guy if you want to know what happened to you; I barely know myself!" He tries to smile as he motions to Ex Machina, but immediately winces in pain and stumbles into a seat.

"And...yeah, I did just die. Again. I wish I could get used to it, that it'd stop hurting so bad every time I wake up. Ugh...that guy knows how to throw a punch."

He grabs the water carafe and pours himself a drink, semi-consciously filling the room with mood music from an impromptu concert performance.

"...at this point, I'm going to join a carnival. Robin Perlbell, the immortal violinist, the one who dances to the danse macabre and comes home in the morning. Uggggh..."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"Get- off of ME!", Madeline shouts before reaching out to her servant. The idea of that thing infecting her with anything was infuriating... and quite painful, to go with it. "AaaahAAAAAH!" The armor drifted apart, sliding over her and peeling her out of the creature's grasp. Swiping at the roots as she stumbled away, covered in the black plates of her servant. Her teeth gritted as she swayed for a moment, and then turned, bolting for the hole and crashing down loudly.

"FLEMING!"

Uh-oh. Last name. A fairly good confirmation of just how angry she is.

Edit: Enroachment at 73%, HP 23.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 2, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Scene 5

"Take it easy now. You just got beat up, you need to rest a while." Julian said as he helped Robin straighten up. "Hold on, let me take a look at those injuries. I know a couple things about wound treatment."

Julian's exam was meticulous, patient...and brief. Suddenly, he stopped, looking at a wound on Robin's chest. Though the haze of delirium, Robin thought he could see the Grim Reaper (no, that was Ex Machina) stalking over a dreaming queen (a Queen? Lina wasn't royalty!), behind Julian, who seemed immersed in a study.

And then, he drove his hand forward and embedded an ice crystal in Robin's chest. The pain made his vision white out...

"-I do that?"

"Yes, Mr. Keynes, you did that. It is thanks to your ministrations that Mr. Perlbell is experiencing a rapid recovery. That must be Exile work, which would make you a crossbreed, or perhaps tri-breed. Well done."

"What? But that doesn't make any sense! Nothing makes sense! I just...I just had a hunch I should do that and couldn't even control myself. Am I gonna lose control of my body, too?"

"Calm down, Mr. Keynes. You will be fine. Now, Miss Winngrad, please put on this headpiece and follow all of Bentham's instructions to the letter. This examination should only take a few minutes."

Opening his eyes, Robin looked around, puzzled, only to see a bemused Julian and the unit chief standing next to him. "Welcome back, Dark Song. I trust you are feeling better now?" The chief asked.

And indeed, he was. All the pains and aches he'd accumulated since the hotel incident had been washed away. He felt brand new!

"You have Mr. Keynes to thank for that. His desire to pay back the kindness you'd shown him allowed him to find a way to express his second Syndrome. Now that we are not undergoing a crisis, I would like to ask you a few questions about your Overed education. May I?"

Robin regains 25 HP! It's amazing what you can do with a little help from your friends, right?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Roxie ER: 73

Catalyst posted:

"Perhaps we should go back."

"Nah, gently caress 'em." Roxie snorts. She casts an annoyed look towards the control room and doesn't budge an inch. "Wait until he asks for it."

"So it sounded like things fell apart for your away team," she comments to Catalyst. "What do you make of that?"

Atlatl fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 2, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Robin "Dark Song" Perlbell ER: 80; HP 1->24/24

Robin doesn't resist as Julian starts to take a look at him. Even when he starts pulling open the bloody shirt that used to be white, he doesn't--wait, what the?!

"Julian!" he tries to hiss, his mouth forms the syllables, but no sound comes out. What the hell--

----------------------------------------------

He suddenly flicks his eyes open in...another morgue table? No, wait, this one has actual cushioning...it's a hospital gurney. He blinks under the theater lights, then looks and sees Julian and Ex Machina standing over him.

"Wha...how..." He pulls up to a sitting position and looks down at his body. Aside from a gauze pad taped to his cheek and some bandages round his chest, it doesn't feel like he's been injured at all. He feels the best he's felt since, well, since he died the very first time! "Heh, nice one, thanks, Julian."

Then he looks Ex Machina in the eyes and says "Tell me how my father is first."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Airwave posted:

"So it sounded like things fell apart for your away team," she comments to Catalyst. "What do you make of that?"

"That it fits with an overall pattern I find deeply worrying." She glances at Daybreak. "Have you heard anything further about this Moonlight Queen yourself?"

Hellhound posted:

"Ok, so what did the egghead want us to do?"

"To re-establish the perimeter. Which will be more difficult now with reduced numbers. I'm afraid you may need to do a bit of running around."

She keeps one eye on Hellhound, and adds, "How is she?"

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Hellhound

"She's a bit better now, pain's gone and she's conscious. The Renegade is using her to do SOMETHING though."

George lets out an irritated sigh.

"First Ra'id gets all defensive and now this..."

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

Roxie lets out a grim chuckle in response to Catalyst's comment.

"At least that girl's not a gjaum, right?"

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

Hellhound

"Don't MAKE me punch you again. I might not even hold back the next time."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Scene 5

"I've heard the name tossed around before, in reference to why Zurich is a potential hot-spot for conflict. UGN officials weren't too forthcoming with the details when I asked, though." Satsuki's face scrunched up as she tried to remember hearing anything about it. "The Kamishiro group had an investment in the USCU when the merger happened, so there was an audit of all of its assets and a request for technical assistance with a few new ones. One of them was an ultra-high security vault, prepared to withstand Overed assaults. If the Moonlight Queen is inside it...it may as well be on the moon. We built it to be totally impenetrable unless opened with authorization." She looked at Conrad. "Didn't you tell them anything about it? Your brother spent some time with the Group and had access to classified files. He should've had some idea of what's inside."

---

"He is currently unconscious due to having been exposed to some nonfatal chemical agents while in the Gjaum's clutches." The unit chief explained. "He should awake in approximately half an hour, accounting for a few minutes of potential error. Now, let us begin, Dark Song. What do you know about our world?"

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Oh, come on. I'm just trying to stay positive," she pouts at George. "You should try it some time."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Conrad

"zzz what!?" Conrad starts. "Ah, ah, Lukas, he ah... he was always very professional about such things. I didn't know anything about what he was doing. Frankly, when he uh... was required elsewhere I was rushed out here without as much as a by-your-leave..."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Scene 5

"Ah." Satsuki said meaningfully, nodding. "So this unit was a little more...improvised than I thought. That explains things." After a momentary pause, she continued. "That vault is special. It took an enormous amount of research and cooperation with the UGN, but the Kamishiro Group succeeded in implementing a Still Environment - that, is a location where the Renegade Virus is completely suppressed and unable to manifest. The technology was too inefficient for widespread use and worthless in an open environment, but we still found a use for it in that vault. If the Moonlight Queen is locked up inside of it, then it should be impossible for Pandora to retrieve her without going through the main gate of the Vault first. So long as it's kept under guard, it shouldn't be too hard to keep the Queen safe for 24 hours."

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Conrad

"That's a very large if, though." Conrad shudders. "More of the sort of thing we had to deal with earlier and and guarding may become rather a harder task."

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Scene 5

"Then we need to make preparations for that." Satsuki said, nodding. "Conrad, what countermeasures do you think would work best to stop attacks from monsters like that bat?"

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Conrad

"Ah..mmm." Conrad stares. "This isn't really, ah-"

He stops. Breathes in. Breathes out. Straightens his back.

"The drat thing was quick and erratic. The absolute best thing we can do is lock down their movement; make them sit and take the hits. Once the two of us were able to actually get a solid couple of shots on it it went out like a light. The problem with that is that they're also strong, they'll tear through anything given time. So we'd need to confine them and then hit them with everything we have before they have a chance to even think about cutting loose."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

"There's clearly more going on here than has been explained so far," Sofia says, looking at Hellhound. "But I don't know enough to ask the right questions yet."

"Regardless, Pandora is the greatest immediate threat. I had thought to split into teams, but we're down to a small group now. So we'll need to check on the automated defenses and detection equipment, and then concentrate closer to the objective until and unless we get reinforcement. Let's begin with the primary entrance and work our way in from there."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Robin "Dark Song" Perlbell ER: 80; HP 24/24

"He'd better be alright..." he mutters to himself as he considers the question. "...okay. He, the man you hate so much, was there the first time I...Awoke. I was dead then, as well. I..."

He licks his lips and racks his brains.

"God...I don't know how long I spent with him. He...he talked about a lot of things. I barely remember any of it though. A bit of general information about what it meant to be an Overed...a bit of time figuring out what I could do...he said you guys were traitors, a cabal of Overed conspirators who wanted to pull the secret strings of the world. I remember that much."

He doesn't mention the most recent visitation where he called Ra'id the Grim Reaper. If Ex Machina wanted that, he'd have to "divine" it himself.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

"Sounds like a plan, bosslady. I'm assuming you want me to do all this security testing, right?" She asks Catalyst with a snicker. "I'm always down for a little grey hat work. You got some sort of scientific procedure for this, or do you just want me to cut the power and see what happens?"

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Scene 5

"I assume you know about the various Syndromes, the Renegade Virus, and what one must do to keep it at bay, then. Good. Let us focus on the more relevant details. Mr. Keynes, keep an eye on Miss Winngrad and make sure she follows all instructions while I take care of this matter." There was a brief pause as Ex Machina stared at Robin, thoughtfully.

"Dark Song." He began, at length. "I believe you are aware that fully over half the world's population possesses the potential to develop Overed abilities and the subsequent sanity risks when put under extreme emotional duress. Do you believe it would be worthwhile to take the risk of revealing our world's existence to the entire world at once, knowing what the consequences could be if the announcement led to a wave of Awakenings?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Robin "Dark Song" Perlbell ER: 80; HP 24/24

Seeing the Grim Reaper stare into his soul makes Robin almost flinch. But then he manages to look back at him. The Grim Reaper...is his age! Maybe younger! It gives him the confidence to talk back.

"Well...I guess Julian and Lina prove that it's not impossible, at least...and...well, what happens if somebody else decides to do just that? Somebody who (hypothetically) wants to start the wave of chaos you're implying? You seem to be just handing them the keys to the train with the pure secrecy thing."

Besides, he thinks to himself, I've already told someone...

Flashback, before the start of the new year posted:

"Hey Anita..."
"Hey...wait...no way...ROBIN?! *hugs* Dios mio, I..."
"Yeah...you saw me jump, I know..."
"But...you're here, you're alive! But how?! Your father told me you were dead!"
"I know, I know, listen...anybody else in the practice room here?"
"Uh...no, why?"
"Come in, I want you to hear something."
"Robin, what's going--?"
*Robin plays the first minute or so of the Winter Concerto...solo and orchestra both*
"I...this, this has to be a trick! You have an audio player in your scarf, don't you!"
"No tricks, Anita. I'm back, and I can do...strange things, now."
"I...I...That is SO COOL! You should do that trick in front of an audience sometime! Robin Perlbell, the one-man..."

The corners of his lips momentarily twitch up into a smile at the recollection. Ah, happy memories...wait, no, focus! Crud, did the Grim Reaper see that?!

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 3, 2014

• Locked thread