Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

iajanus posted:

Rugby League 2014: Possibly because of alcohol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
No love for those of us who follow an English RL team outside the SL (Centurions)?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I will post any and all information desired in the OP so as to increase recognition of non-NRL criminals league teams. Just PM me or whatever and I'll add your sections.

e: thread updated to be less Australia-biased and more 2nd-tier-country friendly.

iajanus fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 4, 2014

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
It's not the same without the dogfucking.

I look forward to hearing tales of the parallel universe where Patrick Ah Van is paid to play rugby league.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

Jono C posted:

I look forward to hearing tales of the parallel universe where Patrick Ah Van is paid to play rugby league.

Haha that's right, one guy was mad hyped about Patrick Ah-loving-Van.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

Next month we can change it to something else appropriate. Animal/human erotica is always a good shot with this bunch of muppets.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Rugby League will provide.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
I accept their ingracious and faeces-stained bounty

amen

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...d=1391508956816

Lol, as if on cue Yileen Gordon gets sacked from the tigers for vandalising a school. You can't make this stuff up, really.

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!
Ask and yea shall recieve.

smh posted:

Yileen Gordon sacked by Wests Tigers after offending students on school visit

The Wests Tigers have terminated the contract of Yileen Gordon after he offended students and teachers during a school visit on Tuesday.

The 26-year-old, who was on a three month train-and-trial contract with the Tigers, was sacked by the joint venture club on Tuesday night.

Wests Tigers players had been visiting local schools as part of an anti-bullying program when Gordon's behaviour offended some at the school.

Gordon had written offensive material that was seen during his visit. School officials later complained to the Tigers.

"He basically wrote something he shouldn't have written at a school visit and when we found out we decided it was worthy of termination regardless of who the player was," chief executive Grant Mayer said.

The club terminated Gordon's contract on Tuesday night for breaching the terms and conditions of his contract.

“Wests Tigers takes its position as a leader in the community very seriously and has high expectations of all its players,” Mayer added.

In 2011 Gordon was stood down by the Panthers after driving unlicensed and hitting a parked vehicle in Penrith.

He had three passengers in the car, including clubmates Nafe Seluini and Brendon Gibb, who owned the Holden Commodore. It was believed Gordon had been driving them to a friend’s house after they spent the previous evening out together.

Gordon made his NRL debut for junior club Souths in 2005, playing 34 matches, before moving on to Canterbury four years later. Released by the Bulldogs after two seasons, Gordon tried his luck at Penrith without success.

Last year he played for Newtown – who were once famously labelled the ‘‘Betty Ford Clinic of rugby league’’ before the Tigers threw him yet another lifeline.

However, he was released from the joint venture without having played a game, and his future in the code is now uncertain.

Offending school kids. Is there anything this great game cannot achieve?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

MiniSune posted:

Ask and yea shall recieve.

Offending school kids. Is there anything this great game cannot achieve?

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat me to a scandal story :-P

Although there's no limit of them so better luck next time! Also, what a loving moron.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
:bravo:

I'd love to know what he wrote to get sacked.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Jono C posted:

Probably "Buddies a sicko he's got a big dicko"

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Why would you even do that. I mean as an adult. With a job playing professional Rugby League. Oh thats why.

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord

ForeverBWFC posted:

No love for those of us who follow an English RL team outside the SL (Centurions)?

Of course there's love. How else are we going to convince you you're wrong?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

I will post any and all information desired in the OP so as to increase recognition of non-NRL criminals league teams. Just PM me or whatever and I'll add your sections.

e: thread updated to be less Australia-biased and more 2nd-tier-country friendly.

I'll see if I can't give you a good write-up of the SL teams in a couple days, I've been swamped recently.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Thanks NRL thread, the idea of a grown adult drawing dickbutt on a school wall gave me just the laugh I needed.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

Jono C posted:

SIGNING a school visitors book with a sexually offensive alias was the brain snap that cost Yileen 'Buddy' Gordon his NRL lifeline with Wests Tigers.

The Daily Telegraph was last night made aware of the fictional name Gordon used - a tacky play on words to describe part of the female genitalia that doesn't warrant publication.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Cuntflaps Mcgillicutty?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Burgess to Union is done. Transfer fee rumoured 500k GBP.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Rusty Kuntz?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Just kidding. My "source" is the Daily Mail. :smug:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well that makes the Bunnies a little less scary up front.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
On the down side I have to change a fantasy player I had locked in on both sites :(

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I haven't read any articles but I believe he has at least one year to go with Souths.

edit: articles agree.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
Mike Hunt. A classic.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Smorgasbord posted:

I haven't read any articles but I believe he has at least one year to go with Souths.

edit: articles agree.
Well that's good I guess

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

If Souths don't win anything in the time they have the Burgess clan together it will be beyond hilarious.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

iajanus posted:

If Souths don't win anything in the time they have the Burgess clan together it will be beyond hilarious.

When.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

How many mobile phones is Crowe going to throw at Burgess on his way out of the club?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
What kind of an idiot would start a fight with ANY Burgess?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Souths denying it in member mail.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Apollodorus posted:

What kind of an idiot would start a fight with ANY Burgess?

Apparently it's one of the requirements for the coaching job at souths.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

How can a coach expect the respect of his team if he can't even beat them in a bar fight?

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Lacklustre Hero posted:

How can a coach expect the respect of his team if he can't even beat them in a bar fight?

The Jason Taylor rule?

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Let's be honest though. With this much smoke, there's bound to be fire. The worrying part is the reports he will leave mid-season.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
He's only converting to Union to hunt Sonny Bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_RYjbq_BI

DNQ
Sep 7, 2004

Let me hear you balalaika's ringing out, come and keep your comrade warm!

bowmore posted:

:siren: SA GOON LEAGUE :siren:

League Code: 489454

http://nrlfantasy.dailytelegraph.com.au
Hi folks, I've just joined. Can't wait!

Big Steveo
Apr 5, 2007

by astral

quote:

Up, up Cronulla: Sharks to become one of Sydney’s richest clubs
By Simon Masterton
February 05, 2014
https://www.rugbyleagueprofiler.com
Australian rugby league fans, answer me this: how often do you read a positive news story about our great game?

How often do you see a mainstream newspaper mention the community work that league players do, compared with news about sackings, run-ins with the law or troubles with ASADA? How often have you been told by anyone other than your chosen club itself about the membership growth they’ve enjoyed, compared with news that it’s on the verge of going broke, or relocating to the Central Coast? In fact, consider this: when was the last time you heard a journalist from one of Australia’s major media organisations refer to rugby league as “The Greatest Game of All?”

Don’t get me wrong, genuine rugby league promotion happens. The big-wigs in the media know how to disguise themselves as nothing but honest, down-to-earth footy fans like you or I and, to be fair, it’s not their job to give the NRL free Public Relations. But over time the most successful journalists have learned that it’s public outrage, not warm fuzzy feelings that sell more papers – and the result? A growing culture of negativity, where every NRL decision is waiting to be complained about, every video ref replay is an unnecessary waste of time and where no player is ever considered a role model until they say something controversial on social media. We’ve come to know the game as one which, no longer part-owned by a media company, is played by thugs and run by bankers who don’t quite understand it.

As a fan I think it gets a little bit much sometimes; it’s easy to stop taking any of it too seriously. I sometimes feel the need for a good news story here and there, just to prove that the future of my game, or my club is not all doom and gloom. So after moving away from Sydney’s major news channels and onto NRL and club-run websites, I came across something that hasn’t had a lot of coverage, yet probably deserves it: the bright financial future of the Cronulla Sharks.

Since 2009, when the infamous Four Corners report about a 2002 sexual assault surfaced, the Sharks have struggled both on and off the field – just two finals appearances and significant bad press resulting in the loss of sponsorships and portrayed likelihood of bankruptcy, elimination from the NRL or relocation to Perth, Adelaide or the Central Coast.

These fears were at an all-time high in early 2013 when the Sutherland Shire club was dragged into the ongoing ASADA investigations – a process that has most recently resulted in the pending suspension of head coach Shane Flanagan and a hefty fine of $1 million to the NRL.

As any of the Sharks faithful will tell you, all of this adds up to one thing: a media goldmine. While it’s understandable that the events themselves have been reported extensively, former Sharks Chairman Glen Coleman put it best in April 2013: “rumours of the death of our club have been greatly exaggerated!” The fear-mongering tactics and general exaggeration present throughout Sydney’s papers have not only been unnecessary, but have only worsened an already-bad situation, while in the meantime, a lot of the positive news surrounding the club has often been downplayed – or gone unreported altogether. I might do my part to change that.

Having always been an asset-rich organisation, the Cronulla Sharks and Sharkies Leagues Club negotiated a $300m land development agreement last year, which was finally approved in August. The agreement secures at least $28m in property sales to the sharks, in addition to increased revenue earned from a newly developed leagues club and the advantages of hosting NRL matches in a modern, heavily-populated area.

With this in itself enough to pay the club’s outstanding debts and secure both its immediate and long-term financial future, the news on Monday about the overwhelming level of interest in the property was another good news story for a club that has had a difficult five years. Over $100m of property on offer in the development’s first release was sold immediately, with over 95% of buyers coming from local areas. One observer keeping a close eye on the development was NRL skipper Paul Gallen, who has expressed an interest in investing in the area himself.

As construction gets underway for a Stage One completion by the end of 2015, the future of the Cronulla Sutherland District Rugby League Football Club is looking brighter by the day, meaning fans can finally begin to refocus on the team’s on-field performances. That can only be a good thing for all supporters of The Greatest Game of All.

Source

A positive article on the Sharks? What has this world come to?

Big Steveo fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

In the Supercoach as the Imminent Injuries. Are we still doing cash? Um, considering how I always lose interest after three rounds I might pass on that...

• Locked thread