Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BCR
Jan 23, 2011

:horse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The ponies return

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

But will they be premature ponies?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't want to hear the words premature ponies ever again

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

bowmore posted:

I don't want to hear the words premature ponies ever again

Far too late for a thread title. gently caress

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Same old Ennis

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

So many penalties. And pushy/shovey.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Fuckin :laffo: at the Brisbane guy's facial expressions when the third man came charging in

Also a typical laffo at the ref not binning the third man in

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Did Trent Hodge kick the ball that lead to the try?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Ennis is such a theatrically absurd prick

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Smorgasbord posted:

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Smorgasbord posted:

Some of the reactions he gets from these idiot players who should know better are absolutely comical and most excellent. I hope he never changes

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Someone tell Hoffman not to kick

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Hyperriker posted:

Some of the reactions he gets from these idiot players who should know better are absolutely comical and most excellent. I hope he never changes

He even got Nathan Hindmarsh to swing at him once

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Probably asked him how much he spent on the pokies last night

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Smorgasbord posted:

He even got Nathan Hindmarsh to swing at him once

It's fantastic. I get a real kick out of these buffoons doing stupid poo poo all over the field

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

I see Todd Lowrie is still inept, enjoy that signing Broncos.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

:woop: :allears: :horse: :allears: :woop:

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Pug Smugly posted:

Watched the game for one reason last night and was well rewarded.

All of a sudden I don't hate Ben Te'o.

Seriously though the shoulder charge rule should be all about contact with the head, not using the shoulder to make contact. The onus should be on Te'o there to ensure he doesn't whack SBW in the head with his shoulder and he did just that. Leveled him by nailing him right in the shoulder. Was a fantastic hit.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

Smorgasbord posted:

I see Todd Lowrie is still inept, enjoy that signing Broncos.

Not sure what made Todd Lowrie think coming out of the line to put a hit on Frank Pritchard when Pritchard thought he was running at a centre was a good idea.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

MacDougall posted:

Not sure what made Todd Lowrie think coming out of the line to put a hit on Frank Pritchard when Pritchard thought he was running at a centre was a good idea.

False headgear confidence

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MacDougall posted:

All of a sudden I don't hate Ben Te'o.

Seriously though the shoulder charge rule should be all about contact with the head, not using the shoulder to make contact. The onus should be on Te'o there to ensure he doesn't whack SBW in the head with his shoulder and he did just that. Leveled him by nailing him right in the shoulder. Was a fantastic hit.
I agree with you about the shoulder charge

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
The idea is to try and prevent concussions though, which can be caused by things other than a hit to the head.

Trying to get them to tackle with their arms and bring the guy to the ground instead of crunching him into next week seems better for safety and also will help speed the play-the-ball, if a lightning-quick game is what people want

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Pretty much everyone except the lawmakers think the line between player safety and entertainment in regards to shoulder charges should be drawn at shots to the head (i.e how it was the season before last). All they needed to do was ramp up the penalties for legitimate dangerous tackles while allowing the crunching big hits nowhere near the head like we saw from Te'o.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

We were getting into fairly dangerous territory there with shots to the head, and much as I would like the return to just punishing anyone who connects with the head heavily we all know how retarded the players are. My concern is if we roll it back to being legal to this extent you'll see some serious head injuries. Then again, this may just be over-concern - it's not like there were that many injuries before. Maybe it would be worse nowadays because of the general improvements to fitness allowing players to be able to line up big hits more often.

In other words, I don't know.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
Banning shoulder charges felt like a kneejerk reaction, especially when you consider that they really haven't made significant improvements with respect to penalising shots to the head or looking after players who have suffered head injuries during games. There are too many who are allowed to play on even though they have been obviously knocked out.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jono C posted:

Banning shoulder charges felt like a kneejerk reaction, especially when you consider that they really haven't made significant improvements with respect to penalising shots to the head or looking after players who have suffered head injuries during games. There are too many who are allowed to play on even though they have been obviously knocked out.

Hopefully the new concussion procedure will help with that.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

They also seem to pick and choose when to apply the shoulder charge rule depending on which club/player offends.

edit: Superleague superstar Mick Dobson!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Newcastle seemed to have learnt to drop a ball and pass balls to wrong players in the pre season

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Embarrassing

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Knights getting destroyed injury wise

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Depressing

Pug Smugly
Apr 5, 2011
I have high hopes for Newcastle's 2015 season

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

bowmore posted:

Knights getting destroyed injury wise

I swear every time I watch Newcastle they got horrendous injuries and end up with 0 or 1 on the bench.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Are you going to pay out now bowmore?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Mills posted:

:drat: you gonna do that right now?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mills posted:

burn down redfern

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
No

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Dear Nrl gods,

Please get all this bad poo poo out in this knights game, as the tigers couldn't cope with half of this.

Yours in perpetual agony,
Iajanus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fullback, Halfback and Hooker injured and 5/8th before the game started this is shittttty

• Locked thread