Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Hurrell needs to sort his poo poo out off season. There is no reason why he can't get his fitness up. Tbf even if he can't play a whole game I think he'd be great coming off the bench running at tired defences.

Also gently caress yes Warriors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

BCR posted:

I don't think Hurrell has the drive to be a great footballer. He has had fitness issues for what three seasons now?

This is year three in first grade for Hurrell. Each season has featured a spell in reserve grade for being out of shape and unable to tackle. This year he showed up 10 kg overweight after Christmas. He's a freakish talent, but the lack of discipline is really frustrating.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Nice finish from Robinson to bag a pair already

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Souths must have been hot boxing the dressing room real hard before the game. The gently caress are they doing out there

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
You can never count the Raiders out....of throwing a game away.

EDIT

I put a lot of hate on him but Buttriss has been actually quite decent this year so far.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Fensom off :(

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
All teams are seriously taking the piss this year...my tips :( 10/29 looking like 10/30

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Wighton just absolutely belted Burgess and then him and Edwards snapped Te'o from a line drop out. Wighton shows how important timing is in tackling.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The Raiders remembered at half time that they really suck

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Raiders win :D

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Raiders were much better than Souths. Wighton try an awful call. Not much else to report!

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Mills posted:

Raiders were much better than Souths. Wighton try an awful call. Not much else to report!

I thought he (allwood) knocked it on but I can see where the Video Ref was coming from because it was hard to say for sure.

At half time I thought there must be serious problems at Souths possibly around Sam Burgess but I thought the Burgess brothers played quite well in the second half. Sams first half display was horrible though. Highlight was slowly jogging at Jack Wighton like 5m out from the try line and getting snapped in half by a 5/8th.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Status: enjoying the Rabbits resuming normal service propping up the ladder and also enjoying the Sharks copping a dirty thumping

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah, this season start for the Rabbitohs has been perplexing - I quite like seeing them near the bottom of the ladder but with their lineup it's hard to comprehend.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yay, up the Knights

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
The Cunts, Storm and Souths all lost. Seems like a good week to me.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I can understand hating the Roosters, but how can you hate Souths, NRL thread? They're the battered housewife of NRL teams to me. I'd love to see them win a flag.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
Well they seem to market themselves as a working-class club while they rock around in suits and are privately owned. For me, though, I grew up with them on the bottom of the table and 'lol souths' is very comfortable and homely.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
I like Souths. Also unrelated but I am relatively new to watching league, previously mainly followed union. I noticed on Friday night Waera-Hargreaves somewhat randomly swung his arm at someone and got put on report. I heard that this is his 6th report in 4 years or so and made me wonder why would players think getting a cheap hit in like that is worth copping a possible ~2 week ban or whatever? Just seems like stupidity and underestimating your own value to the team to me.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

fuckpot posted:

I can understand hating the Roosters, but how can you hate Souths, NRL thread? They're the battered housewife of NRL teams to me. I'd love to see them win a flag.

When we're losing everyone seems to think of us as their second team. As soon as we started winning the last two years, everyone comes out of the woodwork to hate.

Haters gonna hate. :shrug:

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

I like souths and they are quite popular around where I live (inner western Sydney) so I like to see them do well but they do have some annoying fans which is amazing because they haven't been a good side (besides now obviously) since 1989. It would be like the raiders have a few years in the top 4 and the supporters go insane.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

My feelings with regard to Souths stem from multiple things - they were fairly inoffensive until the 99 split when we all had to merge/fold/be-actually-popular-or-successful-and-stay-alive. Balmain merged because we weren't meeting the targets, Souths folded but then whined enough in the courts to be let in. Hundreds of thousands of people came out of the woodwork and cried bitterly that their team had been taken away, even though they'd been getting merely hundreds to their games for a while and were routinely being flogged (although not at Wests levels, obviously). Then they were let back in and quickly went back to being unsupported and poo poo once the initial gloss wore off. They've come good in the last few years, but it really grates hearing them described as "everyone's second team" or the "pride of the league".

Also, they're historically pretty successful and most of my IRL friends who are fans of them are totally loving ridiculous bringing their history up at any opportunity. As such, it never gets less funny to mock them when they gently caress up yet again. Finally, they have a really good roster at the moment and are underperforming (should have been in both 12 and 13 grand finals, if not winning them), so it's hilarious to see them playing so poorly. I'm sure there's other things that annoy me but they're all merging into a sea of laughs at their current run of failure.

(also, what Hyperriker said)

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Good to see the Tigers have rolled the clock back to 2005 - worst defence in the league and second best attack. At least our games are entertaining (read: a lot of points :suicide:)...

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

My brother in law who supports the West Tigers but came from the Wests side of the marriage has the exact same issue with Souths and can never support them.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I bet your brother in law blames rape on the victims too.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

The NRL did need to downsize after the SL merger. Would you have rather SL eventually to have won out ? It was a compromise born from a difficult time.

Ideally SL wouldn't have happened but it did and the targets were the only sensible way of moving forward from that.

Not quite the same as a rape Mills.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

In non rape related comparisons I think the NRL needs to take action on the concussion rule.

Firstly I think its an excellent idea and needs to stay. Lets get that out of the way but its starting to really hurt clubs. The Tigers were left with an empty bench and the Raiders were forced to really put some plodders on the fringes after Edwards got knocked into lalaland which allowed souths plenty of big men to target in attack.

Now five years ago Ricky Stuart would have sent Edwards back out into action which of course we can all look back on that and say it was dumb and dangerous so what I think the NRL should do is send a NEUTRAL doctor to each game and if a player fails the concussion test they can be replaced by another player an 18th man if you will.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Fix the video referee while they're at it because he is also raping the game.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

fuckpot posted:

[url="https:// en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1909_NSWRFL_season#Finals"]1909 Grand Final [/url]

Grudges die hard in Tigertown.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

Mills posted:

Fix the video referee while they're at it because he is also raping the game.

I think the Warriors 1st half at the weekend took 61 minutes due to all the video ref delays

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think I've seen a single game this season that hasn't had some kind of *~ref controversy*~ attached to it, which is pretty ridiculous.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

bowmore posted:

I don't think I've seen a single game this season that hasn't had some kind of *~ref controversy*~ attached to it, which is pretty ridiculous.

They're pissweak and aren't being given the help they need to make decisions nor do they seem to have the league's backing to stand by them. So, they're poo poo and it's difficult to watch games

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

There've been a few questionable video ref calls so far this year, even by the NRLs normally vague standards.

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
I hate Souths because of the pride of the league poo poo.

No, you're just another lovely, perenially failing Sydney club and the success of the NRL as a brand really has nothing to do with how you're performing as a side.

Their fans are entitled cunts, oh we won 20 premierships :smuggo: despite the fact the last one was in the 70's and before the game was a national competition. I mean ffs they even claim a premiership where they turned up and (I think Balmain) didn't, because there was some sort of agreement and Souths reneged and claimed it by default.

And yeah, kinda what Iajanus said, no one turned upto their games for years despite being supposed diehard fans, then they get tens of thousands of people walking the street in support? full of poo poo.

If Parramatta and Souths could battle it out for the spoon every year I'd be delighted.

Robbie Fowler fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 31, 2014

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Robbie Fowler posted:

I mean ffs they even claim a premiership where they turned up and (I think Balmain) didn't, because there was some sort of agreement and Souths reneged and claimed it by default.

Six posts up:

[url]https:// en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1909_NSWRFL_season#Finals [/url]

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I'm not entitled. :shrug:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Gorbash posted:

Six posts up:

[url]https:// en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1909_NSWRFL_season#Finals [/url]

Considering the general level of criminals that play this game I guess they really do qualify for "pride of the league"

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Also Souths specifically targetted the Warriors as a club that should be cut in favour of keeping their (at the time) all round embarrassing club in the comp. gently caress them.

Re the concussion rule, I agree there should be an 18th man who can only be used as a replacement if someone is ruled out for concussion.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That would be an interesting rule it'd be happy to see put in place, can't see any negatives against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

My feelings with regard to Souths stem from multiple things - they were fairly inoffensive until the 99 split when we all had to merge/fold/be-actually-popular-or-successful-and-stay-alive. Balmain merged because we weren't meeting the targets, Souths folded but then whined enough in the courts to be let in. Hundreds of thousands of people came out of the woodwork and cried bitterly that their team had been taken away, even though they'd been getting merely hundreds to their games for a while and were routinely being flogged (although not at Wests levels, obviously). Then they were let back in and quickly went back to being unsupported and poo poo once the initial gloss wore off. They've come good in the last few years, but it really grates hearing them described as "everyone's second team" or the "pride of the league".

This is the first part of why I'm happy to see Souths lose. On top of this, several of their fans specifically went after the Warriors when it came to coming up with alternatives to them getting the boot, which made no sense at the time and was even more laughable when they couldn't attract flies to poo poo when they returned.

The second part is because Russell Crowe got into a fight with Eric Watson (Warriors co-owner) in a pub toilet in London and got his rear end kicked.

• Locked thread