Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Didn't get to see all that much of the Warriors last season (I get Sky so I can watch Liverpool play but seeing as those useless cunts managed to lose the rights I didn't bother keeping up my subscription) but I think I'll try get to a few games this time around as the new missus is a fan.

Pretty excited about our chances but I'm pretty sure I feel that way every pre season. From the little I've seen Tomkins might just live up to his reputation and Johnson looks to be in some pretty serious form. Anyone else stood out so far?

Hahahaha also what the gently caress Raiders...why would you give Ricky Stuart a job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Lets gone Warriors

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

That defense was atrocious.

Awful.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I've never seen a side so clueless from set plays as the Warriors.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jesus our defence is horrendous.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

gently caress all these penalties.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Given how we've played I am ecstatic we're only two behind

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Being a Warriors supporter is a painful existence

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

I hate this loving club so much

Burn down Mt Smart Ericsson Mt Smart Eden Park

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

We deserve to be losing but honestly, what the gently caress is the point of videos refs if they can't make the correct calls when it's obvious

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

That should be a double movement but our defence was so loving bad there I hope the award the try.

We need to wise up quick or we're in for another long season.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Every team is either poo poo, cunts, or cheats. Disband the NRL.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jono C posted:

If Nielsen can't at least defend, he's worthless. That guy is a Mannering level black hole on attack. Sounds like we have no idea what we're doing at centre. Laumape deserves a shot, he looked good last year until the grind got to him. Ropati should have been cut loose years ago, having him even as 18th man scared me.

Ropati must be amazing in training or something because I can see no other reason he's still at the club.

Fish and Vatuvei are so ill disciplined positionally and when the centres aren't doing their defensive work for them we fall apart. The commentary box and crowd all cheered when Fisiiahi came inside to tackle an opposing centre as he got the ball in a dangerous position but it's actually that kind of poo poo the gets us exposed time and time again.

Our defensive display also masks how bad we were going forward. Once again we get plenty of sets right in front of the try line and have absolutely no idea what to do with it. I don't think I've ever seen a clever set play from the Warriors in their entire existence. Passing the ball to an onrushing Paleaaesina was about as complex as it got.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

How did Tompkins get on in his opening game? Just saw an interview and he said he was happy with his performance overall with just a couple of errors he needs to improve on. That makes me think he was found out as the garbage man I always knew he was and hasn't got the bollocks to own up.

Nah he was pretty good tbh. Lots of direct running and always positioned himself well to make quick passes at the line. Would be nicer if he had more than just Johnson to play off though.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Didn't see the Warriors play...what happened? Why did we fall apart?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Warriors are so loving consistently inconsistent. Of all the games we win it's Cowboys away where we almost always get thrashed.

Didn't see the game, how did we look?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Burn Down Canberra posted:

I went out to dinner luckily looks like we played like a busted arse

Edit

Campo is lucky to keep his position imo. He is a part of the problem.

I always quite liked the Raiders but I can't get behind any team that has Ricky as coach.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Hurrell needs to sort his poo poo out off season. There is no reason why he can't get his fitness up. Tbf even if he can't play a whole game I think he'd be great coming off the bench running at tired defences.

Also gently caress yes Warriors!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Re the concussion rule, I agree there should be an 18th man who can only be used as a replacement if someone is ruled out for concussion.

This could be hilariously abused.

And by hilarious I mean Rugby League players pretending to be concussed in order to get fresh legs on the pitch

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

No, he would have landed on his arms/the ball.

If McLean's actions are worth 7 weeks now then so be it, but get ready for a suspension shitstorm. If a high tackle breaks a guys jaw should it be charged longer than an identical one that doesn't?

I'm really torn on this one.

I think McLean was unlucky as it obviously wasn't malicious but given the nature of the injury he was always going to be made an example of. It sets an interesting precedent that is no doubt going to cause a lot of conflict between coaches but perhaps it will be the catalyst that allows League to clean up its image.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I wonder what Warriors side will show up tonight

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Elliott gotta go.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

bowmore posted:

It's all over twitter apparently Matthew Elliot is getting the sack

Honestly who is available that's not terrible?

As we're now officially a Bad Team I guess it's only a matter of time before we get Ricky Stuart :(

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Gorbash posted:

So is Tim Sheens - you might even be able to get Benji in a package deal.

I'd be happy with Sheens

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Robbie Fowler posted:

Jamie Soward is a bitch and has the most punchable face in league.

Greg Bird, Anthony Watmough and SA favourite Braith Anasta are much more punchable.

Also Scurrah absolutely as to go.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jono C posted:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9963636/Benji-Marshall-to-return-to-NRL

Benji's on his way back to the NRL, team TBC. I thought he said he never wanted to play against the Tigers, so this sounds odd.

Think the Warriors would take the risk?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Yay Warriors :unsmith:

Best game I've seen us play in a while. There was that patch after half time where it looked as though we'd crumble but they recovered well and deserved to win.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

That is one of the weakest Kiwi sides I have ever seen.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Good player, runs excellent lines especially in the red zone. I'm happy.

I think we lack someone like him in the team. Lillyman is experienced but doesn't seem like much of a leader. We've lost that since Luck died and Price retired.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ennis and Ricky Stuart together is pretty much the perfect match up. I just wish it was at a more hateable club than the Raiders

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Simon Mannering chip and chase :unsmith:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jono C posted:

gently caress I'm glad the club has given up on Eden Park for regular season games, I hated going there. Pain in the rear end to get too and from the place, crap view, crap atmosphere. Mt Smart is a vastly superior stadium.

I literally live a minute away from Eden Park but even I'd prefer us to play at Mt Smart. It's a poo poo stadium, it's cold, it's not close, but it's our home :unsmith:

Ewar Woowar fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 4, 2014

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Warriors have to have one of the most disciplined sides in the NRL when it comes to off field issues. Hurrell got a blowie in a car (NRL should have paid him rather than fined him seeing it was both consensual and with a woman) and Sione Faumuina had alcohol issues but other than that I can't think of too many incidents.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Red_Museum posted:

Other one I can think of is that winger we got from the Tigers who was charged with rape(?) but I don't think it went anywhere. Pretty much finished his career with us though.

Michael Crockett. I remember him getting sent off really early in a game once.

I went to the game yesterday for the first time in a long while. Was a great game to go to! gently caress me Idriss is massive.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I'd love Carney at the Warriors. He'd be a vast improvement on Chad Townsend but there is no way the Warriors would look to sign someone so with his background.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Jono C posted:

Tui Lolohea

I haven't seen him play but have heard good things. Think he's going to make it?

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

iajanus posted:

I think carney is just an idiot. Drinking your own pee at a urinal while someone takes a photo? Pure stupidity.

Getting sexual services from a dog? Middle ground, I'd say. The dog probably had no idea what was going on, and disgusting as it was it was a dumb joke gone wrong. Pretty bad, but not the end of the world.

Hoppa? Physically assaulting other men involuntarily and essentially raping them deliberately to win a game of football. I still feel ashamed I cheered him on back in the day. Clearly the worst of the bunch.

My vote for worst league player is Julian O'Neill
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_O%27Neill

Also I swear there was a great wiki page on all Rugby League off field incidents but I can't seem to locate it.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I've always thought Mannering was incredibly overrated and not really captain material but I have to say, he's been great this season :unsmith:

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

Mannering is and always has been a really good player. Not an ideal captain but at least he's not one of the whiny bitch captains like Lyon, Ennis, Hayne, Farah etc.

Watching the Sunday Footy Show - short of relocating to Sydney I really don't know what the Warriors have to do to get more than 2 minutes coverage on any Aussie league show.

Jono C posted:

He's a machine on defense, he can tackle all day plus he always seems to get his man when he's sliding and in a one on one situation. On attack he can be awful, but seeing as his move to lock is getting closer and closer, that will be easy enough to cover up.

Yeah perhaps I'm being a little harsh. I've always liked Mannering but felt he killed a lot of momentum with poor ball handling in the past but this season he's really been good going forward. That kick and chance try he got earlier in the season was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

I always felt Peter Sterling should have been used on something more analytical than the Footy Show.

• Locked thread