Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
I've lost count of how many series NSW's selectors have lost with godawful selections. Maybe this is the year Mitchell Pearce figures it out, they wouldn't want to mess with his confidence by dropping him. Plus Gallen is getting older and can't find horse steroids like he used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
This video needs to go next to the bit about conversions breaking the laws of physics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd7mEq7a6ec

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Yes, I was wondering about that (presumable) typo, too. For a better demonstration, go to Cronulla beach if you're not white.

If you're white, I'm pretty sure the Dogs can sort something out for you.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

1. Melbourne
2. Cunts
3. Manly
4. Souths
5. Canterbury
6. Newcastle
7. Warriors
8. Cronulla

9. North Queensland
10. Gold Coast
11. Wests
12. Brisbane
13. Penrith
14. St George Illawarra
15. Canberra
16. Parramatta

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/andrew-johns-to-return-for-charity-match-at-the-auckland-nines-20140110-30mni.html

Newcastle's PR machine tries to divert attention by getting Andrew Johns playing in the Auckland Nines charity match.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

It's possible to fit more drugs into Newcastle?

Only if the Knights have a road game that week.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

In very shocking news, the Knights have sacked Packer.

I'm shocked that it's taken this long.

Due process and all that. It was always going to be a formality. Good on the Knights for looking after his family, I don't think they were under any obligation to do so.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Why isn't this on the jerseys for the Women in League round?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-changes-rules-to-cut-timewasting-says-todd-greenberg-20140125-31ffg.html

quote:

Zero tackle from 20-metre restart: The first tackle after a 20-metre optional kick will be called a zero tackle. The rule change provides an extra tackle to discourage tactical kicks and negative play when the ball is kicked dead to slow down the game and deny wingers and fullbacks the chance to return kicks.

40/20 restarts: The team that performs a 40/20 kick will restart play with a tap kick 20 metres in from the touch at the point it crossed the line instead of at a scrum.

Restarts from kicks out on the full: A handover will be awarded when the ball is kicked out on the full.

Stop the clock: During the last five minutes of a match, the clock will stop following a conversion or penalty kick at goal until play restarts at halfway.

Quick taps: A quick penalty restart will be permitted on any infringement except 10-metre penalties, where the referee issues a caution or within 10 metres of the opposition goal line. The change encourages more continuous play.

Goal-kicking time limit: The referee will call time-off at about one minute, 20 seconds following a try. Fines will still apply to clubs when a player takes longer than 1:40 to take a conversion.

These changes are a lot more sweeping than I expected. I was only expecting them to address stopping the clock for kicks at goal late in the game. I'd want to see how these work out in actual games before passing judgement, but replacing scrums in a couple of instances seems odd and I don't see why a zero tackle is needed for the 20 metre restart.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Curious how they'll police that, since unless they start with sinbins they'll just come up anyway. Hopefully that's the plan.

That should be easy, the ref can just shout "play on" after a quick tap. It'll be on the whingeing captain to get back into position or leave his team a man short on defence.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Smorgasbord posted:

You can't seriously believe they'll enforce that against the protected clubs do you? Best we can hope for is some Jarryd Hayne related comedy. Smith, Ennis, Lyon etc will still be able to run up and scream at whoever they like.

I'd settle for another Ricky Stuart meltdown.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602013

The NCAA (unofficially) has the Fulmer Cup, I don't see why we can't. Craig Gower is our very own Ellis T. Jones III. Who should the trophy be named after?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Gower gets credit for being a one man wrecking crew, but the spirit of the Fulmer Cup is that it's a team event.

quote:

The Ellis T. Jones III Award for Individual Achievement recognizes those who go “all in”, above and beyond the call, and put the team on their back. The award is named after Mr. Jones III himself, formerly of San Jose State, who used Craigslist for a robbery, pistol-whipping and kidnapping spree that racked up 13 felonies, 31 points all by himself, and would have given SJST the Cup had it not been determined that there is no “I” in Fulmer Cup and thus it would require a team effort to take down the trophy. The Ellis T. Jones III Award for Individual Achievement, which is to be referred to by its full name at all times, may not be awarded to a player who’s crimes lead to his team being awarded a Winston Cup. The rule that says multiple players must score for a team to win the Fulmer Cup is the ESTJ3 Rule and may be shortened as such.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I'm stunned that it was SBW, to be honest. I thought the whole sleeping pills and energy drinks thing was an attempt to get around the team's alcohol ban, and I thought SBW had given up drinking as part of his conversion to Islam.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah, seriously. SBW seemed like he was taking his health extremely seriously the last few years. Oh well, maybe I can overtake him in the abs contest I have decided to have with him this year.

EDIT: Wait was this the NRL Grand Final or the World Cup Grand Final?

World Cup. There was a story that the team had a closed door meeting to address the issue during the tournament, but players kept doing it.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Thinking about this a little more, everyone involved needs to be named and shamed. Coming up with a workaround to get past a team alcohol ban is already dumb, but then combining it with a stupid high school level game before THE WORLD CUP loving FINAL is absurd.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

It's not the same without the dogfucking.

I look forward to hearing tales of the parallel universe where Patrick Ah Van is paid to play rugby league.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

:bravo:

I'd love to know what he wrote to get sacked.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Rusty Kuntz?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

How many mobile phones is Crowe going to throw at Burgess on his way out of the club?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I'm in as The Teletubbies. I'll pass on playing for cash, but let's give myself a little bit of motivation-

:toxx: If I come dead last, I'll buy the winner an avatar of his/her/its choice. :toxx:

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Is there a tipping comp set up for this year yet?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I hope he gets his poo poo together, only so that I can point out to all the union fans I work with that it took a league has-been to sort out the Blues.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11198733

SBW and Kieran Foran have had their names leaked as being part of the energy drink and sleeping pill stupidity at the World Cup. SBW's name was already out there, this is the first time I have heard of Foran being part of it.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Mills posted:

I plan to make $5000 from rugby league bets in 2014.

Tom Waterhouse spotted!

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Voss on commentary: "Cricket's for pussies".

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Ilyich posted:

Whatever they did, I hope they keep doing it. :v:

Luke Walsh has utterly bossed the 1st half, was he this effective in the NRL?

I still believe that Penrith made a big mistake in letting him go, he was really good when he came back from NSW Cup last year. There's no way Soward or Wallace is an improvement on him.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I can't believe we let Taukeiaho walk to play for the cunts, we need depth in the centres.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I find it more amusing that Pearce is "hurt" and won't be playing today. gently caress your tournament, we've don't need your money.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I hate seeing these injuries in what amount to meaningless games.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Winning was nice, but I could do without Johnson throwing himself into the uprights.

I'm still on the fence on Tomkins. There were plenty of times he could have done a better job of drawing and passing.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Lousi and Matagi starring in a format that isn't made for them has been a huge positive for me.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Sam Burgess is officially off to union after the 2014 season.

I really don't get how he is going to have enough time to learn the game in time for the World Cup. SBW took years, although cracking the All Blacks is probably harder than England.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

I can never remember how dumb some of these guys are. Where is he on the Watmough/Isaac Luke scale?

Also if he's there for the cash money, good for him.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

I imagine his defense is going to be solid, too.

He won't be Brad Thorne, but then again no one else has been either.

I repeat my earlier assertion that he is hunting SBW and wants revenge for the RLWC semi final.

SBW had all the natural talent to play 12, came from the second row/centre and still took four years to figure out how to do it.

Burgess is converting from prop, and doesn't have anything close to the same freakish talent.

Thorne is a different beast entirely, I have no loving idea how he managed to figure out the intricacies of union tight forward play so quickly.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Let me be the first to say that souths' jersey today is loving ugly as all sin.

You weren't kidding. Hopefully this is a preseason deal only.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

And Souths score off a play that includes a Sam Burgess kick.

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Lord Bogan has some sweet new tats though.

Is this an English ground?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

iajanus posted:

Considering how many random jerseys the Warriors have nowadays, do they even have team colours any more?

Our home/road jerseys are clearly defined, but we've always used some vomit style training jersey for preseason, and this year we're wearing blue jerseys at Eden Park, which included the 9s.

Tomkins is looking useful outside Johnson. I certainly hope our centre pairing improves on Ropati/Tuimavave before next weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Two of those were training jerseys, two were U20s and there were two different heritage jerseys. We could do without the alternative home ground jerseys.

Smorgasbord posted:

I don't really care what jersey we wear if we beat Brisbane 48-4.

gently caress we looked good. The Broncos struggled without playmakers, and just got run off their feet on defence. Barba and Hodges being missing meant a lot, but those two aren't worth 44 points.

• Locked thread