Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord
Any British super league fans fancy starting a separate thread for the SL and Championships? It gets us away from the Aussies making us jealous of their higher salary cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord

ForeverBWFC posted:

No love for those of us who follow an English RL team outside the SL (Centurions)?

Of course there's love. How else are we going to convince you you're wrong?

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

Good Lord

ForeverBWFC posted:

Wigan will achieve nothing this season and it'll be hilarious!

That's what everyone said last year...look how that turned out.

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

Good Lord
My predictions for the Super League season

Huddersfield
Wire
Leeds
St. Helens
Wigan
Catalans
Salford
Hull FC
--------
Hull KR
Bradford
Castleford
London - I think they might surprise us a bit
Widnes
Wakefield

Challenge cup - Warrington
Grand Final - I'd love it to be Wire, but I think it may be Leeds again.

For the Championship - I think Sheffield might do it again, they really deserve a shot at Super League considering how well they've done in a city without a Rugby League pedigree. Although it could easily be Featherstone, Halifax or Leigh.

BBC 5 live are broadcasting at least one live game a week on Sports Extra and they've also got a new podcast:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/rugbyleague

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

Good Lord

MiniSune posted:

Now to pick a team. Who promises so much and delivers so little except for rare occasions over thrre?

I think perhaps either Hull FC who seem to recruit very well every year, but never make the breakthrough they're hoping for.

Or Bradford, since it's always their year to get back in the top four. It never happens.

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

Good Lord
For any Brits, Coventry Bears confirmed to be joining the semi-pro Championship 1 next year.

http://www.rugbyleaguechampionships.co.uk/article/39601/coventry-bears-to-enter-championship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

Good Lord
I scrolled back through the pages and couldn't see any discussion about the Super League/Championship restructure so thought I'd pipe up and ask what everyone thinks.

Basically Superleague and Championship are becoming two divisions of 12 teams and a third division (League 1) of 14 teams. After 23 round SL and Championship become three leagues of eight, the first play for the Superleague title (SL top eight), the second (bottom four SL and top four Champ) play for promotion and the third plays for the Champ title and to avoid relegation to League 1.

The aim is to make promotion sustainable, Championship teams have to be able to play and beat SL opposition to get promoted, rather than going up as part-timers and being relegated disastrously the next year (see Leigh in 2005).

They've made an infographic here: http://www.extraordinaryrugby.com/img/rfl-infographic-full.jpg

And a quite good video explaining it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7bRG_Tg9aI

What do people think?

• Locked thread