Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Q: what does "glassing" mean? I am not from your beautiful land of sunshine and real sports.

Also I volunteer to write a Super League rundown but I can't promise anything before the weekend (it takes time to translate from Yorkshire into English you see).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Lacklustre Hero posted:

Glassing is the ultimate expression of love. Imagine a high-five except with a glass in your hand and it's to the back of your girlfriend's head

Oh so it turns out I knew exactly what it meant.

I am concerned this thread is making me into whatever a weeaboo is for Australia.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

fuckpot posted:

Knights
Souths
Cronulla
Parramatta
Roosters
Storm
Broncos
Manly
Bulldogs
Penrith
Gold Coast
Cowboys
Canberra
Dragons
Warriors
Tigers

:stare:

fuckpot posted:

And the Blues to win 3-0.

:catstare:

Here is my prediction:

Storm
Roosters
Rabbitohs
Knights
Bulldogs
Sea Eagles
Warriors
Sharks

Raiders
Cowboys
Dragons
Broncos
Titans
Panthers
Eels
Tigers

Blues win 2-1 because I've only been watching this sport for 2 years and I am already sick of the Maroons winning.

edit: I left out the Raiders because their shirts blend into the grass to such an extent that I forgot they existed.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 10, 2014

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

I'm assuming in your ladder the Raiders got kicked out of the comp?

That wasn't my intent, but now that you mention it...

iajanus posted:

Also imagine how the rest of us feel watching the Maroons win 8 in a row :suicide: (soon to be 9 in a row)

It also has a lot to do with the fact that so many of them are Melbourne players, because nothing I have learned about that team makes me like them.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Smorgasbord posted:

Maloney has been the best eligible 5/8 for 2 full seasons so deserves a crack with a competent halfback before he's dumped.

Yeah, and it seemed pretty clear to me that Pearce was selected for Origin 2013 because of Maloney. Pearce is competent (at Premiership level :v:) but a better halfback would make Maloney more potent.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

Everybody is the lesser of evils when compared to the Roosters.

Anyone else liking the jerseys for the 9s teams? The Titans' one is so much better than their actual new jerseys for this year I'm jealous.

The Roosters and Sharks look the best in my opinion. Broncos are okay too, kinda retro.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Melbourne Thundercocks

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
You know, in the USA most people convert to Islam AFTER they go to prison.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah, seriously. SBW seemed like he was taking his health extremely seriously the last few years. Oh well, maybe I can overtake him in the abs contest I have decided to have with him this year.

EDIT: Wait was this the NRL Grand Final or the World Cup Grand Final?

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 1, 2014

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Who knew that getting shitfaced immediately before playing an intensely physical skill-intensive sport against the best players in the world would result in crushing defeat? :suicide:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I dunno, I think that would also belong here if the thread title were less specific to NRL. The Union thread covers all Union content basically.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

Rugby League 2014: Possibly because of alcohol

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

I will post any and all information desired in the OP so as to increase recognition of non-NRL criminals league teams. Just PM me or whatever and I'll add your sections.

e: thread updated to be less Australia-biased and more 2nd-tier-country friendly.

I'll see if I can't give you a good write-up of the SL teams in a couple days, I've been swamped recently.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
What kind of an idiot would start a fight with ANY Burgess?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
He's only converting to Union to hunt Sonny Bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr_RYjbq_BI

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yes but on the other hand gently caress WIGAN.

Leeds will take it this year, again, but first they will lose to Warrington in the Challenge Cup like they do every year.

EDIT: Thanks for the writeup, stckyfngrdby or however you spell it

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Do we get to hear the referee conversation like we did during the World Cup? I enjoyed that immensely, it really added to my understanding of the game.

Also I generally pull for Hull FC and Hull KR in matches when they're not playing my club (Leeds) because, let's face it, they already have to live in Hull and they might as well get a win once in a while to make up for it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Here's my Super League ladder prediction:

Rhinos
Giants
Wolves
Hull FC
Saints
Dragons
Red Devils
Warriors [juuuuust barely]
----------
Hull KR
Bulls
Tigers
Wildcats
Vikings
Broncos
----------
Challenge Cup: Wolves
Relegated: Broncos, Vikings
CHAMPIONS: Sir Kevin and the Rhinos

Incidentally, as a Easts supporter and Wigan hater, I get to see my dream come true in this year's World Club Challenge when the Roosters beat the crap out of a Tomkins-free Cherry-and-White side.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Red_Museum posted:

I don't think Fittler and Menzies can play

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
My perspective as a Yank is that, whereas League is Football but with the boring parts removed, Cricket is Baseball without the exciting, fast-paced action for which Baseball is famous. :v:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Use Words Like Rad posted:

I'm confused why you didn't say cricket and baseball are both boring as gently caress.

:thejoke:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

DickEmery posted:

They're probably going to try and make him a centre so all he has to learn is

- catch the ball
- run at the other team
- buy a big house

Considering the outrageous skill levels of League players he'll probably score some great tries and make a lot more but eventually everyone will realise by the 4th or 5th phase he'll usually be out of position. Good for Bath, poo poo for England.

It's going to fail harder than Andy Farell and it will be very funny.

Edit : Not funny because of a union vs league thing, but funny because I'm Welsh.

I imagine his defense is going to be solid, too.

He won't be Brad Thorne, but then again no one else has been either.

I repeat my earlier assertion that he is hunting SBW and wants revenge for the RLWC semi final.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

I like the suggestion that we could have kept him in the game if we let him play for the blues. As if there isn't enough crap with regard to how players qualify for the teams, we should just open the doors to anyone from other countries who wants to play oh poo poo this turned into some sort of anti immigration rant what the hell is happening help me

I don't understand this. You mean the Auckland Blues? Or the Cardiff Blues? And by "kept him in the game" do you mean "kept Sam Burgess in Rugby League" or something else that I'm missing completely?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Mills posted:

Russell Crowe said Burgess might have stayed if he was eligible for Origin in some article. It was a puff piece.

Ah yes, the Blues that actually play Rugby League. :doh:

Russell Crowe himself is a puff piece.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Actually I don't understand how Burgess could ever have played in Origin. Bradford is neither in Queensland nor in New South Wales (if it were, Sydney real estate would be a LOT cheaper) and thus he wouldn't qualify regardless of nationality. Whereas Sonny Bill should have been able to qualify if he wanted to, right? Unless he played senior RL before the Dogs.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Isn't the main factor the location of a player's first Senior Rugby play? Or am I mistaken? (I probably am)

But also, look at the Olympics, a Korean speed skater is now Russian.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Right, but that's JUNIOR football, isn't it?

Whatever, it still makes more sense than the NCAA BCS College Football.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Well, they have to be the team for a whole country. Weren't there team colors originally blue, white, red, and green?

these ones

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Also, even if I didn't like the Roosters I still hate Wigan and was happy to see them beaten.

That being said, the top SL teams are legit good, the league just doesn't have the depth of NRL because it's not as popular in England as Union.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MiniSune posted:

True, but perhaps you need to do some creative thinking to even up and make every match a tough contest for all sides - Gould does make a good point where there does seem to be more "easy" matches for the top sides in SL than in the NRL.

Be buggered if I know what could be done though.

NFL-style profit-sharing?

(Yes, I know, "what profits?")

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Gagai is definitely going to be at fullback. I barely know anything about this sport but that is like 99% for me.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I just want the season to start. Super League, among the top 4-5 clubs anyway, is plenty enjoyable but they only show 2-3 matches per week. One of my friends is looking for something to watch now that NCAA-BCS and NFL are over and he is not sold on rugby union (because it is a complicated game for nerds like me) so I think only NRL will provide him the hot man-on-man violence he craves.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
While :filez: are hardly the most egregious offense committed by rugby league fans (let alone the players) I'm not sure it's something we can share here...

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Hey the Leeds-Huddersfield game was a blast! Also it ended it a tie because League in the UK still is not completely free from the shackles of soccer, I guess. And it was a good tie, too, not like the Manly/Melbourne game.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

stickyfngrdboy posted:

It was a good game which the giants will be gutted not to have won. They should have won. I got drunk and spent the last half hour annoying the skinny steward who kept telling me to sit down. Dick.

Ha, fun.

But yeah, Leeds did get lucky with the ref calls in that game.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

So who wants to bet on how many points the Rabbitohs will put past the Tigers? Based on recent years I'm expecting 40-50, although maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised and it'll only be in the 30s.

All of them. All the points.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

It disturbs me that for a decent chunk of the adult population who are interested in league these two statements are not true. It also disturbs me that these people have the legal right to vote.

You say that, but have you lived in the US and been a part of American sporting culture?

At least you said "disturbs" rather than "surprises."

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

iajanus posted:

Roosters really going hard for the "premiers to wooden spoon" award.

Living the dream brah.

I already got my wish, seeing the Roosters beat the snot out of Wigan was all I needed for this season to be a success.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Gotta say the Roosters/Sharks game was decided more by gently caress-ups than actual good play - Carney's horrible cross-field kick that Kenny-Dowell picked up for a 95m try, and some missed tackles by the Roosters to let in a Sharks try as well. But the Tuivasa-Sheck beat-5-tacklers-and-spin-move was a worthwhile highlight. Putting him at FB long-term could really up the Roosters' game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Finally watched the Eels-Tigers game. Quite a thriller, though there was some questionable tackling on the part of both teams - but it was the Eels' kicking (both goal and kickoff) that really did them in. If I liked either of those teams I would have loved to be at that stadium.

Also, once again, we see that the NRL has a much more evenly distributed talent pool compared to Super League. :sigh:

• Locked thread