Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

I never post about Super league because I thought these threads had little to no interest in it, and I didn't think there were enough of us to have our own thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't know you were waiting, I can put something together today if nobody else is doing it. Is anyone else already working on something?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Oh well mine probably wouldn't be very funny it would just be full of vitriol about all the clubs other than mine.

e: it wouldn't be as funny as the current OP for sure

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

I did a quick run down of the clubs, but I haven't the time to add anything further so feel free to use all/none/any of it for anything.

The home of Rugby League in Europe. Followed mostly by those of us from the so-called 'M62 corridor', which is the motorway which takes you from the Yorkshire region of Northern England to the Lancashire region of Northern England, and, if you're lucky, back again.

The two clubs who finish in positions 13 and 14 of Super League this season (after 27 rounds) will be relegated to the RL Championship, the second tier competition. After round 27, the top 8 teams enter the playoffs. Then comes clubcall.

Clubcall: The winning team from Week 1 with the highest league placing at the end of the regular season will select their semi-final opponents from the two lowest ranked winners in Week 2.

Make sense? Good.

Our players don't suffer as much as those in Australia wrt off-pitch notoriety, because nobody outside the sport knows who they are.

Bratfud Bulls

M62 Yorkshire

Support them if you like poo poo things. Had a spell of being good and won a few titles and challenge cups, and three world club challenge trophies. They are a bit quieter now because they have no money, and are bad. They finished 9th, just outside the playoffs, last season and will be lucky to finish as high as that this time around. They might not even make it to the end of the season because they are terrible at finance

Player to watch (until they stop getting paid): Luke George, maybe. Is he good?

playoff position or relegation battle?: Relegation

Castleford Tigers

M62 Yorkshire

Support them if you work in a mine. Cas have finished in the playoff positions only once in summer-era rugby, and are unlikely to achieve that again.

player to watch: nobody, their only good player was Rangi Chase and he left.

playoffs/relegation: Relegation

Catalans Dragons

ici des dragons

M62 France WTF?!

support them if you're from a very small region of southern France called Perpignan. France is not in England, bizarrely, and they talk forrin.

player to watch: Scott Dureau

playoffs/relegation: relegation

Huddersfield Giants

M62: Yorkshire

support them if, hmmmm. They're actually really good now, annoyingly. Won the League Leaders shield last season, which nobody else gives a poo poo about because it's not a real trophy.

player to watch: There's a few. Danny Brough at stand-off, Scott Grix at the back, Shaun Lunt at hooker and Eorl Crabtree at prop are all quality, and Eorl Crabtree has massive hair. Will make the playoffs, won't win anything.

playoffs/relegation: playoffs

Hull FC

M62 Yorkshire

support them if you think everything you do is a lot better than it actually is.

player to watch Gareth Ellis (who is my next door neighbour no bias), one of few who performed consistently well last season.

playoffs/relegation playoffs

Hull Kingston Rovers

M62 Yorkshire

support them if you have a neighbour who is as terrible at things as you are

player to watch er, Ben Cockayne maybe

playoffs/relegation relegation

Leeds Rhinos

M62 Yorkshire

support them if you like excellence, hard work, and are handsome and popular.

player to watch Jamie Peacock is the oldest man in the world but is still better than almost every other player in his position (prop) in Super League. New signing Tom Briscoe is also worth a look.

playoffs/relegation playoffs, definite champions.

London Broncos

M62 London wtf you can't get to London on the M62, must be a mistake

support them if you like travelling and you want to watch home games from different stadiums every week.

player to watch Solomona til he gets injured playing in mud

playoffs/relegation relegation

Salford Red Devils

M62 Lancashire

support them if you're an attention whore nobody likes. The owner:

looks a bit like the devil. Loves getting himself in the papers, and has signed 14 new players for this season, including Adrian Morley from Wolves.

player to watch Rangi Chase who is definitely English.

playoffs/relegation playoffs probably, if the squad gel early on. Will be hilarious if they fail to make playoffs having spent all that money.

St. Helens

M62 Lancashire

support them if you used to be good at things and wish you could be again, and are a scouser.

player to watch James Roby

playoffs/relegation playoffs, will win nothing.

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats

M62 Yorkshire

support them if you... don't bother with this lot, there is nothing to be gained from watching this lot regularly. Seriously, just go to the stadium and stand in the home end during a game, it's like you've travelled back in time and into a crowd of village idiots all vying to be the best idiot.

player to watch There's a few Leeds rejects in there, who all went to the closest club so they didn't have to move house when Leeds got rid of them. Paul Mcshane will make you laugh when he drops the ball for the twelfth time. They've got Keinhorst on loan from Leeds, who is maybe the only German in the world who plays rugby league.

playoffs/relegation hahahaha

Warrington Wolves

M62 Lancashire

support them if you were poo poo before but for some reason are now quite good, or you hate Widnes.

player to watch Stefan Ratchford works his bollocks off every game

playoffs/relegation playoffs, possible winners

Widnes Vikings

M62 Cheshire

support them if you hate Warrington and like watching Patrick Ah Van, they have nothing else worth seeing.

player to watch see above

playoffs/relegation likely to go down, I'm afraid

Wigan Warriors

M62 Lancashire

support them if you're a glory boy and like a pie. Most succesful side in England and therefore one of the most disliked. Will suffer after losing the little turd Sam Tomkins to NRL. Good riddance, some would say.

player to watch Sean O'Loughlin, Matty Smith. No real star there now Tomkins has gone, so it'll be interesting to see how they do without him. They'll want to prove they weren't a one man team but they were so that will be difficult.

playoffs/relegation playoffs, but nothing more without the good Tomkins. Because he left to be a NRL superstar. Which he won't be, and that will be hilarious.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Sean O'Loughlin is out with a hamstring injury, Flower comes in. Warriors might struggle here.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

Yes but on the other hand gently caress WIGAN.

Leeds will take it this year, again, but first they will lose to Warrington in the Challenge Cup like they do every year.

EDIT: Thanks for the writeup, stckyfngrdby or however you spell it

Sorry it wasn't very funny, but yeah no worries gently caress Wigan (my ex wife supports them)

New video ref system is awesome.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Video refs have their own massive touch screen TV they control themselves, for camera angles and playback etc and we get to watch them gently caress about with it.

We can't hear them though which is a shame

e : also apparently they announce the reasons for the decision in the stadium which is new

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 7, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Live games in the UK are on Thursday and Friday night, so either you're getting a game we're not or the repeat of Thursday's game on Sunday. First Thursday game is Wolves/Saints.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Huddersfield
Leeds
Wolves
St. Helens
Wigan
Salford
Catalans
Hull FC
--------
Hull KR
Wakey
Castleford
Bradford
London
Widnes

Challenge Cup: Wolves
Grand Final: Leeds (strong squad this year, as long as we're a bit luckier with injuries than we were last season)

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

What have Sky done to the Super League music?! That was the best music on TV that was. Now you've got those big cgi metal fellas clattering each other to music that sounds like soft rock only less manly. Wtf?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

I hope it's a close game, but I'll be surprised if it isn't a heavy wire win (even though saints almost always win there, heh).

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Did Warrington get rid of their defence coaches during winter? If I'd known I probably wouldn't have predicted what I predicted.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Hope Warrington defend like this next Friday :getin:

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

I doubt he would have stayed in league if he'd been able to play an origin game, unless that would have made his wallet bulge more than changing code will.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Super League clubs already share finances with those below them, right down to grass roots. I'm not sure of the details but money is definitely sent from top to bottom.

The competition is changing next year, to try and help address the issues we all know are there wrt lack of competition for the so-called big teams. Two teams are relegated from super league this season, and nobody is getting promoted, so there will be two divisions of 12. Towards the end of next season, those two divisions will split into three divisions of 8 (top 8 SL, bottom 4 SL/top4 Championship, bottom 8 championship). I'm not really sure that it will help matters but I'm looking forward to it regardless.

From there it gets more complicated than I can be arsed to explain with points and poo poo but I'll do it when the time comes, if there's a need for it.

What clubs really need to do, if they have the ambition to improve, is simple; go to Huddersfield and Warrington and ask them how they went from nobodies to possible contenders. I mean, they both bottle it every year (wolves especially), but they might win it one day, maybe. Heh.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Super League news: Bradford have been deducted six points for entering administration again. Heh.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Super League News: Ireland international (lol) Sean Gleeson, centre for Hull KR, could lose an eye after a fight in a Wigan nightclub.

It's also been reported that the brother of Dr Marwan Koukash (owner of Salford Red Devils) might be trying to buy the Bradford Bulls. DrMarwanK has denied it, via twitter, but totalrl.com reckon their source is highly placed to know the details and are convinced the story is true. We'll see. I have a passionate dislike of all things Bratfud but I wouldn't want to see them go out of business, so hopefully there is some merit to this story.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Did that get given as a pen?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah I Love some big shoulder hits is a shame

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

Hey the Leeds-Huddersfield game was a blast! Also it ended it a tie because League in the UK still is not completely free from the shackles of soccer, I guess. And it was a good tie, too, not like the Manly/Melbourne game.

It was a good game which the giants will be gutted not to have won. They should have won. I got drunk and spent the last half hour annoying the skinny steward who kept telling me to sit down. Dick.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

How did Tompkins get on in his opening game? Just saw an interview and he said he was happy with his performance overall with just a couple of errors he needs to improve on. That makes me think he was found out as the garbage man I always knew he was and hasn't got the bollocks to own up.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

The only real tests there are us and giants, which should be close games, but saints are probably favourites in both. I'm annoyed I can't get to the saints game because it looks like it'll be a cracker the way we are both playing.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Just saw that tackle on youtube of all places, doesn't look good at all. Hope the lad's ok.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

loving hell I just read up on spinal injuries to see how bad c4 and 5 is and, well, gently caress me. Poor lad.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

It's not being reported here anywhere so if you lads could keep us updated itt I'd thank you kindly. Fingers staying crossed for the lad.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Can't even see anything on that video because there's a massive graphic over the thing.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Terrible, terrible news about McKinnon. Just read a few bits on the Aus Telegraph site, and it's all just very very poo poo.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Mills posted:

Is there even a single fan of the game that thinks our judiciary process isn't amateur as gently caress?

this is the one thing the NRL and Superleague are perfectly in sync with. Our punishments are random as gently caress dependent on [??? something nobody - including the RFL - knows].

The story only got reported here because he got 7 weeks, not one channel (sports news included) covered the story at all until that punishment was dished out, and only then because some fucker came on saying BAN ALL LIFT TACKLES IMMEDIATELY! CHILDRENnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

7 weeks is far too long.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Brett ferres of Huddersfield giants just got sent off for a lift tackle which ended with saints's jonny lomax landing on his head. I cant believe he tackled like that after recent events down under.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Lol giants completely robbed of a good dg very bad refereeing there

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Ilyich posted:

Yeah I thought for sure it was over from both angles the BBC showed. Huddersfield were unlucky in my opinion. The tackle suplex from Ferres was a shocker too.

Edit. The Challenge Cup 5th round draw

There's a storm brewing up here (well, on Twitter mostly lol) about the draw with some people suggesting it was fixed.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

There's no way Alex Murphy and Gaz Schofield (both legends up here) would knowingly participate in a fix, by the way.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Has Sam T settled in well down there? How's he looking?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Jono C posted:

He's getting there. On attack he's comfortably earning his keep, although it would be nice if he could get a pair of boots that would stop him from falling over all the time. On defence he's learning quickly. His first few games had too many spilled bombs and he's not the strongest tackler on the park. His combination with Johnson is working well, and from the handful of games Leuluai played with him it was obvious that they're familiar with each other's play from Wigan.

He was renowned for losing his feet here too, although he rarely spilled bombs so I'd maybe say nerves might've played a part there. His attacking game was one of the most terrifying things ever when he played against us, but he was always weak in defence, skinny legs you see.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Any saints fans coming to leeds for the cup game? I'll buy you a beer before we smash you if you fancy.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

Is/was that match on TV? If so, please spoiler-tag it for me until I can watch it. If not on TV, then please tell me that Leeds won (unless they didn't :ohdear:)

It was on the BBC, I won't spoil it for you in case you can watch it somewhere.

ed: oh nm there were loads of replies after yours.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

Please don't spoil it!

Also

LOL Saints knock on directly from catching the kickoff.

edit: that was a good game, thanks for not spoiling it

Too bad Super League only shows 3 matches a week.

I'm going to watch it on iplayer myself now because it was ace. I might be biased but I think you'd be hard pushed to find an atmosphere better than our south stand anywhere in the world.

e: also, our jamie peacock chant is the best in rl even tho he hates it because it's rude

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 27, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah, some day (probably next year actually) I am going to go to a match at Headingley and watch from the South Stand.

You see, I grew up here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds,_Massachusetts

So the Rhinos are basically my home side.

as long as you don't do easter weekend you'll love it (cricket might be on next door so we have to keep the noise down, no lies)

Challenge cup draw:

Wigan Warriors v Castleford Tigers
Leeds Rhinos v Leigh Centurions
Bradford Bulls v Warrington Wolves
Widnes Vikings v Keighley Cougars

I was hoping keighley and leigh would get drawn together so there'd be a champ side in the semis but oh well. i would like to play wigan in the final please.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

excellent, this, really excellent

isaac john was ace in the world cup, i thought he was a top player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

What's this Cuthbertson fella like Leeds have signed, lads? Any good?

• Locked thread